The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This coming season

3 posters

Go down

This coming season Empty This coming season

Post by JAS Thu 03 Mar 2022, 4:02 pm

Now that we're into March, the long dark days of winter are mostly behind us, the light at the end of the day is extending and the first events of the new season are rapidly popping into prominence. Have to say this has been my most inactive winter ever from a golf perspective, should be interesting to see if I benefit from the rest.

It all kicks off for me next week with a 4bbb comp at St Enodoc & Trevose next Thurs/Fri followed by a team comp at Saunton next Sunday...Tough start however as they're team comps neither are handicap counters but they will be a good yardstick of where my game is at. My calendar is pretty front loaded this season as April sees 2 events (England Golf Senior Series and England golf Past Captains events at St Million on consecutive days just after returning from my daughters wedding in the Paris suburbs at Easter (where I'm hoping to squeeze in a round at Le Golf Nacional). Then just over a week after the St Mellion events I'm up to Carnoustie for the Tassie. By mid May I could have lost my single figure status :-p

How is everybody else shaping up for the season start??

JAS

Back to top Go down

This coming season Empty Re: This coming season

Post by McLaren Thu 03 Mar 2022, 5:18 pm

Jas, the weather was pretty good up until mid January, with barely any rain to speak of and then it seems to have rained ever since. So up until then I actually got a decent amount of play in but since then haven't hit the course. Which is annoying because I actually posted one of my best rounds of the year just before the weather turned. Entering March I feel more out of practice than normal for the time of year. To the extent I have actually gone to the range a couple of times in the last week just to check I can still hit the ball.

"La Golf Nacional"? Isn't that a bit like eating a big mac in the middle of Paris?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Sun 13 Mar 2022, 9:23 am

If you get the chance Jas, definitely give Le Golf National a go. Although it’s barely got a clubhouse to speak of and just doubles up with a generic, soulless hotel for a bar and locker room facilities the course is fantastic and has one of the best and most challenging finishing stretches around.
In between the hotel and golf course there’s a huge great concrete slab alongside the putting green that just looks weird and completely out of place…asked the starter about it and it’s where they erect a temporary clubhouse when they’ve any big events on.

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 14 Mar 2022, 2:08 pm

TM2K wrote:If you get the chance Jas, definitely give Le Golf National a go. Although it’s barely got a clubhouse to speak of and just doubles up with a generic, soulless hotel for a bar and locker room  facilities the course is fantastic and has one of the best and most challenging finishing stretches around.
In between the hotel and golf course there’s a huge great concrete slab alongside the putting green that just looks weird and completely out of place…asked the starter about it and it’s where they erect a temporary clubhouse when they’ve any big events on.  

To be fair TM maybe it would be better if I just didn’t take my clubs after the past few days!! :-p

Just back from Thurs/Fri/Sun at St Enodoc, Trevose and Saunton East. The first 2 we’re part of a pairs event and the latter a 3 man team event. I’m back 12 balls lighter. Sifting through my thoughts yes there was a lot of good stuff in there but from a scoring perspective it was woeful. Main culprit was the driver (snap hooks then the inevitable compensatory blocks right) but also missed a couple of tap in putts. That’s the beauty of a few stiff tests before the season starts proper, I now have things I can work on.

What’s the practice facilities like at Le Golf

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 15 Mar 2022, 10:53 am

JAS wrote:

What’s the practice facilities like at Le Golf

What are the napkins like in McDonalds?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down