The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canelo vs GGG 3 - will include spoilers

+3
Herman Jaeger
TRUSSMAN66
No name Bertie
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Canelo vs GGG 3 - will include spoilers  Empty Canelo vs GGG 3 - will include spoilers

Post by Guest Mon 12 Sep 2022, 8:49 am

So the trilogy bout is nearly here. Win or lose GGG retires after this bout.
Still going for GGG by late stoppage.

Last edited by Jeff Navarro on Sat 17 Sep 2022, 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Canelo vs GGG 3 - will include spoilers  Empty Re: Canelo vs GGG 3 - will include spoilers

Post by No name Bertie Mon 12 Sep 2022, 11:05 am

32 year old Canelo versus 40 year old GGG at super-middleweight and a Canelo that has never been dropped even though he has fought up to light heavyweight. I can't see anyway that GGG stops Canelo although I can see GGG getting stopped against Canelo at this heavier weight class for him. If it goes to points there is no way that GGG is getting a decision even if he deserves it.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Canelo vs GGG 3 - will include spoilers  Empty Re: Canelo vs GGG 3 - will include spoilers

Post by Guest Mon 12 Sep 2022, 11:51 am

Alvarez is slower at 168, and he's coming down from 175.
GGG going up from 160 to 168 is probably more beneficial at his age.
I just fancy GGG to lay out Alvarez

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 12 Sep 2022, 1:02 pm

Hope Canelo stuffs the ducker.. All those years at 160 when Froch and Ward would have made great fights.. Macklin and Geale types instead.

Give him a good hiding Alvarez..

TRUSSMAN66

Derek Smalls likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 13 Sep 2022, 5:30 am

Hope Golovkin wins as Canelo developing a bit of a phobia for Benavidez (a phobia for Beterbiev too but that’s understandable as 75 clearly not his weight.) But he’s comfortable at super-middleweight and all roads lead to David Benavidez at 68 atm

But with all these belts today a lot of modern day boxers are all about avoiding risks. In the old days only the big fights generated the big money. Where you’ve got the cash cow earning millions for fighting nobodies this is what’s wrong. I can’t stand youtube boxing but you know what I may switch to it, maybe it’s less rigged. I don’t like American boxing today and not so long ago it was the best in the world.  And while I’m having a rant if you’re a pressure fighter don’t even bother fighting Shakur Stevenson

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue 13 Sep 2022, 9:51 am

If  there was one world champion belt for each weight division then boxers would not be able to avoid each other.  When Muhamammad Ali was active there were three sanctioning bodies (NYSAC, WBA, WBC).

[NYSAC: formed 1911]
WBA: 1962 from the NBA formed 1921.  [Until autumn 2021, recognized up to four world champions in any given weight division].
WBC: formed 1963
IBF: formed 1983
[IBO: formed 1988]
WBO: formed 1988
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 14 Sep 2022, 6:41 am

Eddy(Fight Hub, 5m30s): ‘ Benavidez…I think he’s a guy who wants the legacy, I think he’s a guy who wants the big fights…but give them to him’

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 15 Sep 2022, 11:17 am

No name Bertie wrote:If  there was one world champion belt for each weight division then boxers would not be able to avoid each other.  When Muhamammad Ali was active there were three sanctioning bodies (NYSAC, WBA, WBC).

[NYSAC: formed 1911]
WBA: 1962 from the NBA formed 1921.  [Until autumn 2021, recognized up to four world champions in any given weight division].
WBC: formed 1963
IBF: formed 1983
[IBO: formed 1988]
WBO: formed 1988

As a rule of thumb, it's always good to remember that if the one-belt system worked even sorta well, there wouldn't be two recognized belts, let alone four.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Sep 2022, 11:36 am

Good to know Canelo Alvarez is such a fighting champion. ‘I don’t want to fight Mexicans’. Doesn’t see Benavidez and Zurdo as worthwhile. But fought Angulo and Chavez Jr...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Sep 2022, 11:51 am

GGG says DAZN deal is over after this fight. Not looking to re-up with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 15 Sep 2022, 10:30 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:Good to know Canelo Alvarez is such a fighting champion. ‘I don’t want to fight Mexicans’. Doesn’t see Benavidez and Zurdo as worthwhile. But fought Angulo and Chavez Jr...

Not your best post...Mayweather...Cotto...Kovalev. Saunders...GGGx2....Smith....Plus about ten others

Canelo is the prime example of a modern fighting champion.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep 2022, 9:09 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Jeff Navarro wrote:Good to know Canelo Alvarez is such a fighting champion. ‘I don’t want to fight Mexicans’. Doesn’t see Benavidez and Zurdo as worthwhile. But fought Angulo and Chavez Jr...

Not your best post...Mayweather...Cotto...Kovalev. Saunders...GGGx2....Smith....Plus about ten others

‘Mexican’...
Floyd, Kovalev, GGG are many things but Mexican isn’t one of them...

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 16 Sep 2022, 9:39 am

Jeff Navarro wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

‘Mexican’...

Nor is Benavidez Mexican born which is what Alvarez actually said. There are many criticisms of Canelo; his weight stipulations, failed drugs tests and favourable judging but cherry picking is not one of them.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 16 Sep 2022, 11:06 am

kingraf wrote:
No name Bertie wrote:If  there was one world champion belt for each weight division then boxers would not be able to avoid each other.  When Muhamammad Ali was active there were three sanctioning bodies (NYSAC, WBA, WBC)....

As a rule of thumb, it's always good to remember that if the one-belt system worked even sorta well, there wouldn't be two recognized belts, let alone four.
I accept there will be reasons for the proliferation of sanctioning bodies but the question is who does it benefit and why don't they merge if the original reason why they first formed is resolved. It seems the fans are getting frustrated with boxers avoiding each other when they are in their prime.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 16 Sep 2022, 11:59 am

The NBA was originally formed because the NYSAC held too much power within boxing, corruption was rife with mob involvement so proliferation was needed to an extent. There however was never a need for the IBF or WBO, two sanctioning bodies would have been ample.

Soul Requiem

Atila likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 16 Sep 2022, 12:41 pm

As far as I'm concerned the first two fights showed that Canelo can't beat a still-useful Golovkin in a fair fight. And that was a Golovkin who strangely looked almost afraid to hurt little Canelo at times, especially in the first fight.

Maybe Canelo can win fairly if Golovkin is now a husk, but the Murata fight didn't really indicate that even if he is nevertheless passed his best. I think Golovkin wins more rounds again here....Whether he gets the decision to go with it is another matter.

Would love Golovkin to pull this one off.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Atila likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 16 Sep 2022, 1:13 pm

88Chris05 wrote:

Would love Golovkin to pull this one off.

Fighters grow old quickly after 40 especially below Heavy...Don't like him but one does need to admire his ability to compete like Hopkins etc at a good level at his age.

But speaking as someone who has trained for 30 years plus.... one hasn't got the recovery levels post 40 one had earlier...Obvious I know.

If Alvarez can pressure him 3 mins a round he wins comfortably..If GGG can produce quality and find pockets of time to rest in during the rounds who knows.

Can never write off special talents...But 40 may prove the bigger of the two foes on the night.

Canelo by late stoppage.

Shame about the Queen by the way...Probably the only Royal I had a lot of time for...RIP.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep 2022, 1:23 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
Jeff Navarro wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

‘Mexican’...

Nor is Benavidez Mexican born which is what Alvarez actually said. There are many criticisms of Canelo; his weight stipulations, failed drugs tests and favourable judging but cherry picking is not one of them.
What’s that got to do with anything? Benavidez identifies as Mexican…

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep 2022, 6:39 pm

Weigh in:

Canelo Alvarez - 167.4lbs
Gennady Golovkin - 167.8lbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 4:10 am

Jesse ‘Bam’ Rodriguez saw off the very game Israel Gonzalez. Some atrocious scorecards 118-109 117-110 114-113. The first two cards absolutely terrible. Rodriguez also got docked a point for low blow.
I thought 115-113 Rodriguez was about fair.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 4:26 am

Kazakh anthem is fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 4:37 am

David Diamante is an acquired taste...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 4:49 am

Nothing much happened in round 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 4:53 am

Nothing much in round 2.
It could be 2-0 Alvarez
Could be 1-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 4:57 am

Round 3 Alvarez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 5:01 am

Round 4 Alvarez
3-1 on my card

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 5:05 am

Round 5 Alvarez
4-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 5:09 am

Round 6 GGG
Alvarez 4-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 5:13 am

Round 7 Alvarez
5-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 5:17 am

Round 8 GGG
5-3 Alvarez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 5:21 am

Round 9 GGG
5-4 Alvarez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 5:25 am

Round 10 GGG
All square on my card

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 5:29 am

Round 11 Alvarez
Alvarez 6-5 up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 5:33 am

Round 12 Alvarez
Final score 115-113

Alvarez lumbers past a 40 year old GGG.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 5:36 am

Official scorecards

116-112
115-113
115-113

Alvarez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 5:40 am

Pretty poor fight. GGG old and gun shy. Alvarez supposedly bringing a brutal KO, must’ve left it in Mexico.

This version of Alvarez stands zero chance against Bivol - whether it’s at 175 or 168

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 18 Sep 2022, 6:05 am

I thought Canelo won 9-3, but I could see 8-4. If you gave GGG the first, you could probably also give him 9-12 earnestly, I suppose.

Although what I suspect is that Canelo was up 7-0 or 7-1 on the cards, and the judges thought they'd balance it out. Ie Canelo was never in danger of losing unless he collapsed.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 18 Sep 2022, 6:41 am

Well done Canelo...One sided easy night....for all those 168 pounders the guy ducked for 160  pound stiffs.

Like I wrote above its amazing how quick it can go after 40..

115-113 ???... Give me a break.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 18 Sep 2022, 8:26 am

kingraf wrote:I thought Canelo won 9-3, but I could see 8-4. If you gave GGG the first, you could probably also give him 9-12 earnestly, I suppose.

Although what I suspect is that Canelo was up 7-0 or 7-1 on the cards, and the judges thought they'd balance it out. Ie Canelo was never in danger of losing unless he collapsed.
And so it emerges. Canelo was up 6-1 on all three cards. GGG got some pity rounds.

Canelo started the fight really hot, he looked like an all-timer, but he was bang average in the last six, against a guy who looked there for the taking. Second fight this year he's been less than in the second half of a fight. Not sure where he goes from here with DAZN, he doesn't beat Bivol on this showing. As for GGG, he beat Murata a few months back, but he was very slow to start there as well. He's done with DAZN, which opens up his options, I think. He could go to PBC and fight Charlo or Benavidez, but Showtime's future being in the air does mean that PBC's future is in the air. I guess he could fight Eubank/Benn in a small stadium fight in England, seeing as he spoke about going on a bit of world tour to finish.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sun 18 Sep 2022, 8:42 am

Sounds like GGG got his final payday accrediting himself well as a 40 year old fighting above his normal weight against the younger and heavier Canelo. Most people appear to give the first fight to GGG, the second fight it seems about even, and now this fight Canelo. All the bluster from Canelo seemed to fade out during this fight. I believe both men haven't taken a count during their entire professional careers.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 18 Sep 2022, 8:58 am

No name Bertie wrote:Sounds like GGG got his final payday accrediting himself well as a 40 year old fighting above his normal weight against the younger and heavier Canelo.  Most people appear to give the first fight to GGG, the second fight it seems about even, and now this fight Canelo.  All the bluster from Canelo seemed to fade out during this fight.  I believe both men haven't taken a count during their entire professional careers.

I gave Marquez 3 fights against Manny but it means zilcho..

Canelo won two and drew one.. That's all history will be interested in..

Thought Canelo won the 2nd fight anyway..Thought GGG won the first.

TRUSSMAN66

No name Bertie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 18 Sep 2022, 10:03 am

Agree with you there Trussy - 1st was Golovkin's, 2nd was Canelo's and the 3rd was a lot easier for the Mexican. That said, for all his pre-fight boasting he made it look like hard work.

GGG was 40. Alvarez laboured to his points win. Still, as you say, a win is a win is the history books.

We can put this one to bed now and see where Alvarez goes next, and if anyone mysteriously appears in the SMW rankings.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 11:27 am

It’s definitely time for GGG to retire. He one tough mofo but he’s 40 now. Just because he’s made of like cement it doesn’t mean taking shots to the head is advisable.

As for Alvarez - WBC and WBO claim they will call mandatory defences Benavidez and Andrade. I don’t see Alvarez having any hope of beating Bivol. I feel Alvarez is declining but isn’t really many big fights - Benavidez? Beterbiev?

Finally I think the ‘rivalry’ between GGG and Alvarez ended a long time ago. I think GGG’s main issue was always ODLH.
More so when after the fight, you’re hugging the guy you’ve been calling a drugs cheat for the last 4-5 years...

GGG and Alvarez probably goes down as big brother little brother ‘rivalry’.

Both are laughing to the bank today though

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 11:49 am

So supposedly the guaranteed purses were
Alvarez $65m
GGG $43m

Job done

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 12:01 pm

Alvarez will have major hand surgery on his left hand. Next fight will be in May 2023.

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sun 18 Sep 2022, 12:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I gave Marquez 3 fights against Manny but it means zilcho..

I suppose it must be true what they say that history is written by the bent judges victors.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 18 Sep 2022, 3:23 pm

No name Bertie wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I gave Marquez 3 fights against Manny but it means zilcho..

I suppose it must be true what they say that history is written by the bent judges victors.

Fighters tend to get judged on records..

Hence Ali gets a pass on Norton and Young...Louis gets a pass on Walcott 1..Chavez on Whittaker and Taylor.

Always was thus.

TRUSSMAN66

No name Bertie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 18 Sep 2022, 6:12 pm

A bit sad seeing Golovkin reduced to looking like another guy who just turned up for a payday and a selfie with Canelo. Actually had Canelo positioned quite nicely a few times but just couldn't or wouldn't pull the trigger.

Based on this fight, big money might be the only thing keeping these guys in the sport because neither of them looked much cop. Canelo finally has a fight against Golovkin that he actually won, so congratulations to that end, but just how meaningful or real a fight it was I'm not sure.

Suspect history won't be too kind to Golovkin. If the judges had done their job he'd probably have been 44-0 at Middleweight with most title defences (albeit a lot of them alphabet soup) and a contender to be in the all-time top ten at the weight (If Hopkins has a top five claim then I don't see how Golovkin couldn't have a top ten one under those circumstances).

Instead the record books will show he lost to the best fighter / biggest name he fought and a lack of really defining names on his ledger. He was arguably the best fighter in the world during his prime years, but I suspect in another couple of decades those who extol his virtues and greatness will be getting accused of being hipsters.

He should turn it in now, really - I've actually gone off him a little bit because of that showing last night and his chumming up with Canelo afterwards - but it he does carry on he should at least pop back down to 160 to slap that clown Eubank Jr about, after he naturally did his totally believable and genuinely sincere 'I'm calling out Golovkin!' routine again minutes after the fight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 18 Sep 2022, 6:35 pm

Eubank jr beats a 41 year old Golovkin.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Sep 2022, 7:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Eubank jr beats a 41 year old Golovkin.
Do me a favour. Eubank Jr couldn’t even beat Groves who had a dislocated shoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next