The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URC Round 3

+8
RiscaGame
PhilBB
BigGee
Oakdene
mikey_dragon
Hazel Sapling
Welshmushroom
Pot Hale
12 posters

Go down

URC Round 3 Empty URC Round 3

Post by Pot Hale Wed 28 Sep 2022 - 1:10

Second round threw up lots of surprises.  Round 3 might provide more of the same.

All times UK and Ireland.

Games all on Premier Sports, SuperSport and URC TV

Friday 30th September 2022

Bulls (3) v Connacht ((16) - Loftus Versfeld - 17:30 TG4
Ulster (1) v Leinster (2) - Ravenhill - 19:35- RTE
Cardiff Blues (10) v Lions (9) - Arms Park - 19:35

Saturday 1st October 2022

Stormers (5)v Edinburgh (4) - DHL Stadium - 13:00
Ospreys (12) v Glasgow (6) -  Swansea Stadium - 15:05
Munster (15) v Zebre (13) - Musgrave Park - 17.05 - RTE
Benetton (8) v Scarlets (14) - Stadio Monigo - 17:15
Dragons (11) v Sharks (7) - Rodney Parade - 19.35 TG4
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

URC Round 3 Empty Re: URC Round 3

Post by Pot Hale Wed 28 Sep 2022 - 4:37

Should be an interesting line up this week with Munster looking for their first win up against the less than shabby Zebre who seem determined not to be the league's punching bag this season.

Ulster and Leinster duking it out for the top spot whilst the four SA teams will be looking to repeat last weekend's clean sweep - Stormers v Edinburgh should be a cracker after last week's last minute nail-biter.

Which of the Welsh sides is going to prevail - Ospreys at home to Glasgow? Scarlets pulling off an Italian job? Dragons following up their first win with another against Sharks?

Looking forward to it.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 28 Sep 2022 - 20:54

Reckon Ulster will beat Leinster by 2 scores. Ulster at the minute are probably playing the best rugby in the league at the moment. If Leinster really have any chance away from home they will have to be at their very best.

Bulls will spank Connacht with a BP win I reckon. Connacht simply don't seem to have the pack to allow them to compete at this level.

Cardiff should beat the Lions. But it's Cardiff and they always seem to add up to less than the sum of their parts. Even with that though they should expect to win at home but by less than a score.

Stormers vs Edinburgh - Stormers by less than a score I reckon. Edinburgh are also looking fairly good at the minute.

Munster should beat Zebre at home. But they are not playing well. They still need a BP win here though if they are going to give them the needed boost of confidence they are lacking. Less than that and Munster fans might need to buckle in for a tough season ahead. BP win for Munster.

Ospreys vs Glasgow - Probably Glasgow. Ospreys have a good enough side not to be dropping home games but if last week shows us anything they are not making good choices at times. Think Glasgow will sneak this one by less than a score.

Treviso vs Scarlets - After last week I can see Treviso coming out big guns. Scarlets defence is dire at the moment. BP win for Treviso.

Dragons vs Sharks - Did we turn the corner last weekend? Another win here for the Dragons and we can be sure no side is sending their seconds to the Parade. Bookies should have Sharks to win but I think Dragons will continue to upset the apple cart and get a win here. Going to be tight though if they do win. Less than a score.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 28 Sep 2022 - 22:55

Would pick Ulster at home in a close game. If they can stop Leinster getting a losing BP, that will be a good day at the office

Bulls with BP win over Connacht

Cardiff and Lions to have a high scoring, backs driven game. Will give Cardiff the advantage as the home side to win but Lions to get a point

Munster with a TBP win. Zebre are looking better but away at a wounded Munster. Munster will want to send a message. If they don't...

I would give Ospreys over Glasgow. The away sides have struggled a bit and Glasgow's horror performance against Treviso weighs against us in my mind

Scarlets conceded 55 points at home to one of the top three sides in the league...they also scored 39 points. Really don't know what to expect from Treviso who did well at home and poor away. Honestly no idea what to expect so will go for a home win for Treviso

Sharks will have too much firepower. Dragons, on paper, have the players to keep up in a try fest; in reality, I just don't see it. TBP for Sharks

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 30 Sep 2022 - 23:48

Dragons: Angus O'Brien; Rio Dyer, Sio Tomkinson, Jack Dixon, Ashton Hewitt; Will Reed, Rhodri Williams; Aki Seiuli, Elliot Dee, Lloyd Fairbrother, Ben Carter, Will Rowlands (capt), George Nott, Taine Basham, Ross Moriarty.

Replacements: Bradley Roberts, Rob Evans, Chris Coleman, Joe Davies, Aaron Wainwright, Lewis Jones, Max Clark, Jordan Williams.

Sharks: Aphelele Fassi; Werner Kok, Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Ben Tapuai, Thaakir Abrahams; Boeta Chamberlain, Grant Williams; Ntuthuko Mchunu, Kerron van Vurren, Thomas du Toit (capt), Justin Basson, Reniel Hugo, James Venter, Dylan Richardson, Phepsi Buthelezi.

Replacements: Dan Jooste, Dian Bleuler, Carlu Sadie, Hyron Andrews, Sikhumbuzo Notshe, Cameron Wright, Marnus Potgieter, Anthony Volmink.

Not sure why we've made changes in the pack. George Nott showing his versatility by moving to blind-side. I heard JJ was injured, but I haven't heard anything regarding Lonsdale.

The Sharks look good, even without Etzebeth.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 0:56

Ospreys: Max Nagy; George North, Owen Watkin, Michael Collins, Keelan Giles; Gareth Anscombe, Rhys Webb (capt); Nicky Smith, Scott Baldwin, Tomas Francis, Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Jac Morgan, Ethan Roots.

Replacements: Dewi Lake, Rhys Henry, Tom Botha, Rhys Davies, Will Griffiths, Reuben Morgan-Williams, Jack Walsh, Luke Morgan.

Glasgow: Cole Forbes; Sebastian Cancelliere, Sione Tuipulotu, Sam Johnson, Rufus McLean, Tom Jordan, Ali Price (capt); Jamie Bhatti, Fraser Brown, Zander Fagerson, Scott Cummings, Richie Gray, Gregor Brown, Thomas Gordon, Jack Dempsey

Replacements: George Turner, Oli Kebble, Simon Berghan, JP du Preez, Sintu Manjezi Ryan Wilson, Sean Kennedy, Domingo Miotti.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 0:57

Benetton: Rhyno Smith; Edoardo Padovani, Ignacio Brex, Joaquin Riera, Ignacio Mendy; Tomas Albornoz, Dewaldt Duvenage (capt); Ivan Nemer, Gianmarco Lucchesi, Simone Ferrari, Scott Scrafton, Federico Ruzza, Manuel Zuliani, Michele Lamaro, Lorenzo Cannone.

Replacements: Giacomo Nicotera, Federico Zani, Tiziano Pasquali, Niccolo Cannone, Toa Halafihi, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Marcus Watson, Tommaso Menoncello.

Scarlets: Leigh Halfpenny; Steff Evans, Jonathan Davies (capt), Johnny Williams, Ryan Conbeer; Dan Jones, Kieran Hardy; Steff Thomas, Shaun Evans, Javan Sebastian, Sam Lousi, Tom Price, Vaea Fifita, Josh Macleod, Sione Kalamafoni.

Replacements: Ken Owens, Wyn Jones, Harri O'Connor, Morgan Jones, Blade Thomson, Dane Blacker, Rhys Patchell, Johnny McNicholl.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 1:06

Good front row battle in the Ospreys v Glasgow match.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by our back line out in Benetton.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 1:32

I don't see why they like Dan Jones at Fly Half. He never kicked on and is exactly a middle of the road player who shouldn't be playing regional rugby. Evans and Price are rubbish as well. Halfpenny was a bad signing as well in terms of value for money but at least he has pedigree so if they can keep him injury free that might help.

Wonder if Peel can survive a bad season? I could see the Scarlets ending up as low as 14th the way they are going.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 1:39

mikey_dragon wrote:Ospreys: Max Nagy; George North, Owen Watkin, Michael Collins, Keelan Giles; Gareth Anscombe, Rhys Webb (capt); Nicky Smith, Scott Baldwin, Tomas Francis, Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Jac Morgan, Ethan Roots.

Replacements: Dewi Lake, Rhys Henry, Tom Botha, Rhys Davies, Will Griffiths, Reuben Morgan-Williams, Jack Walsh, Luke Morgan.

Glasgow: Cole Forbes; Sebastian Cancelliere, Sione Tuipulotu, Sam Johnson, Rufus McLean, Tom Jordan, Ali Price (capt); Jamie Bhatti, Fraser Brown, Zander Fagerson, Scott Cummings, Richie Gray, Gregor Brown, Thomas Gordon, Jack Dempsey

Replacements: George Turner, Oli Kebble, Simon Berghan, JP du Preez, Sintu Manjezi Ryan Wilson, Sean Kennedy, Domingo Miotti.

This definitely looks a tasty match up, 2 good looking sides and very hard to call!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 1:55

mikey_dragon wrote:Dragons: Angus O'Brien; Rio Dyer, Sio Tomkinson, Jack Dixon, Ashton Hewitt; Will Reed, Rhodri Williams; Aki Seiuli, Elliot Dee, Lloyd Fairbrother, Ben Carter, Will Rowlands (capt), George Nott, Taine Basham, Ross Moriarty.

Replacements: Bradley Roberts, Rob Evans, Chris Coleman, Joe Davies, Aaron Wainwright, Lewis Jones, Max Clark, Jordan Williams.

Sharks: Aphelele Fassi; Werner Kok, Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Ben Tapuai, Thaakir Abrahams; Boeta Chamberlain, Grant Williams; Ntuthuko Mchunu, Kerron van Vurren, Thomas du Toit (capt), Justin Basson, Reniel Hugo, James Venter, Dylan Richardson, Phepsi Buthelezi.

Replacements: Dan Jooste, Dian Bleuler, Carlu Sadie, Hyron Andrews, Sikhumbuzo Notshe, Cameron Wright, Marnus Potgieter, Anthony Volmink.

Not sure why we've made changes in the pack. George Nott showing his versatility by moving to blind-side. I heard JJ was injured, but I haven't heard anything regarding Lonsdale.

To be honest we have got lucky drawing them in round 3. No Nche, Etzebeth, Grobler, Roets, Kolisi, Notshe, Hendrikse (although Williams I rate as better if I'm honest), Bosch, Cronje, Am, Mapimpi.

It's about as good a chance to win this as possible. I saw enough last week to suggest we can do this again but if we do it will be close. Come on you Dragons!

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 1:58

What I will say is that Round 6 game between Sharks & Ulster could end up being the game of the season. I just hope Ulster go strong away from home.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 2:00

Welshmushroom wrote:I don't see why they like Dan Jones at Fly Half.  He never kicked on and is exactly a middle of the road player who shouldn't be playing regional rugby.  Evans and Price are rubbish as well.  Halfpenny was a bad signing as well in terms of value for money but at least he has pedigree so if they can keep him injury free that might help.

Wonder if Peel can survive a bad season?  I could see the Scarlets ending up as low as 14th the way they are going.

I'd love to read an explanation of why Halfpenny was a bad singing in terms of value for money. What you do think his net cost is to the Turks?
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 3:39

Dragons have made changes due to the bumps last week and relatively short turnaround. Lonsdale was one mentioned by Chris Kirwan for that.

I would’ve started Roberts against a physical SA team, but maybe a knock too. I can’t remember what Kirwan said on that. It’s probably just Dee getting a start, due to turn round time again.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 3:56

Connacht have been really bad so far tonight, some really bad defending.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 5:29

I don't understand, why did the abulls go down to 13 men?

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 5:33

The Bulls are either very ill disciplined, or they don't understand this referee.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 5:34

Oakdene wrote:Good front row battle in the Ospreys v Glasgow match.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by our back line out in Benetton.

Did Costelow get injured?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 5:53

Welshmushroom wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Dragons: Angus O'Brien; Rio Dyer, Sio Tomkinson, Jack Dixon, Ashton Hewitt; Will Reed, Rhodri Williams; Aki Seiuli, Elliot Dee, Lloyd Fairbrother, Ben Carter, Will Rowlands (capt), George Nott, Taine Basham, Ross Moriarty.

To be honest we have got lucky drawing them in round 3. No Nche, Etzebeth, Grobler, Roets, Kolisi, Notshe, Hendrikse (although Williams I rate as better if I'm honest), Bosch, Cronje, Am, Mapimpi.

It's about as good a chance to win this as possible.  I saw enough last week to suggest we can do this again but if we do it will be close.  Come on you Dragons!

Gee wiz I didn’t know they were missing that many, Sharks will have some team this season.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 21:51

Dear me Cardiff, the Lions weren't that good last week or this week, just imagine how it will be when Welsh teams do down there and they're playing better! Cardiff have a host of players who don't look good enough for pro rugby. I thought Dai might be able to whip them into shape but I think I was wrong. I'm not going to agree with calls to sack the coach, but he did make Turnbull his captain and this guy isn't good enough for pro rugby. He hasn't been for years.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 1 Oct 2022 - 22:05

The thing with the Lions is they know they aren't a team filled with stars, but they will fight for every match to the end.

They realise they need every possible log point if they want to challenge for a top 8 spot.

I was listening to the Welsh commentary last night and kept commenting on how simple a game plan the Lions have. If simple gives them results they will scramble for every tackle and fight for every point.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 2 Oct 2022 - 3:00

Good win for the Ospreys, who look a very solid side.

Glasgow could not look after the ball and paid the price with a bit of a hammering.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 2 Oct 2022 - 3:45

Great win for Ospreys over a good Glasgow team, they’re no mugs like we found out last week. I think Ospreys were quite slow to start, but overall I think their game is quite slow. They started playing to their strengths though and in the end, that was a professional performance.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 2 Oct 2022 - 6:18

The Dragons are standing up to the Sharks physicality well, enjoying this.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sun 2 Oct 2022 - 6:22

SA teams back to the start of last season, being killed by the referees at the breakdown and mauls.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sun 2 Oct 2022 - 6:42

Dragons are totally transformed since Ryan has left

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sun 2 Oct 2022 - 6:52

When you counter a ruck, you supposed to stay on your Frak feet

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 2 Oct 2022 - 8:46

The SA teams are on fire this season - winning home and away. Only for the game in hand for Sharks and Stormers they'd be occupying 2 of the top 3 slots.

So much for having their Springboks missing...

By the time the Autumn Internationals roll around, we'll have a better idea of who's going to compete with them.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 3 Oct 2022 - 16:54

It was an interesting round of rugby. One thing is a given already. Without a solid tight 5 getting into the top 8 is totally off the table. South Africa sides were excellent again this round. That said Dragons probably didn't manage their game well when they had a descent lead. Would imagine even Sharks fans would acknowledge they probably should have lost that one.

Edinburgh did well away from home all things considered. They still have some players coming back as well. Can't see many sides going there and winning if I am honest.

Ulster loss to Leinster was a bad one for them. But they are still too good not to make the top 4 in my opinion.

Cardiff and Scarlets were woeful as I expected. They look like teams in dire need of an overhaul. Think based on what I have seen Ospreys and Dragons will finish above them. Ospreys at this stage are probably the only Welsh team with a chance to make the top 8.

Lions keep plucking away. It just goes to show what happens when your bring the right mindset. They are outperforming the sum of their parts.

Would have thought at this stage we will see 1 Scottish side, 1 Welsh Side, 3 SA sides, 2 Irish sides and the last spot probably a shoot out by Lions and Munster. At this stage I would say Lions ahead of Munster. Munster could potentially not make the playoffs for the first time ever.

It's still early in the season though so a lot can change. I'm sure injuries to key players may also end up playing a part for some teams.

I will say I did enjoy this rounds rugby as a whole. It's clear now that being average in the league will not cut the mustard which I think will be good for the league.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 3 Oct 2022 - 18:49

More bad news for Cardiff as some of thier players have been accused of being aggressive and threatening to bar staff at a local pub then after getting thrown out coming back and egging the place.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 4 Oct 2022 - 1:48

mikey_dragon wrote:Dear me Cardiff, the Lions weren't that good last week or this week, just imagine how it will be when Welsh teams do down there and they're playing better! Cardiff have a host of players who don't look good enough for pro rugby. I thought Dai might be able to whip them into shape but I think I was wrong. I'm not going to agree with calls to sack the coach, but he did make Turnbull his captain and this guy isn't good enough for pro rugby. He hasn't been for years.

Turnbull played three tests for Wales last Summer.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Tue 4 Oct 2022 - 2:40

My take on the SA sides.

Stormers struggled without Kitshoff and Malherbe in the scrums, especially the first half, it went better when the front row was changed. dweba in my mind isn't a great scrummager at all, and his line out work 50/50.

The Stormers have talent, but there is always a chance to counter from their risky plays. However I think they believe they can outscore their opponents.

Bulls play more direct rugby, they play a power game more than any other SA side. Whilst they play direct rugby they have added offloads to their game which makes them more dangerous.

Sharks are poorly coached, you can see it in the number of handling errors, poor running lines and ruck support. They need their nine hundred Boks back if they want to reach the top four.

Lions are the Cinderella team, no stars to speak of, but they have guts. Whilst they won't make the top eight, they can and will surprise a few teams. Starting with two wins in Wales must give them lots of confidence.

I have been impressed by Edinburgh, I think they are a top eight team for sure.

The Italian teams especially Benneton will likely have a similar impact on the URC log as the Lions.

Ulster and Leinster will be in the top four most likely.

I am interested to see what happens with the Welsh teams, Dragons are looking at building something, they won't finish last this season. Scarlets and Ospreys need to work on defence, but they know their way to the try line.

I think this URC is going to be tighter than last season.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 4 Oct 2022 - 19:57

PhilBB wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Dear me Cardiff, the Lions weren't that good last week or this week, just imagine how it will be when Welsh teams do down there and they're playing better! Cardiff have a host of players who don't look good enough for pro rugby. I thought Dai might be able to whip them into shape but I think I was wrong. I'm not going to agree with calls to sack the coach, but he did make Turnbull his captain and this guy isn't good enough for pro rugby. He hasn't been for years.

No, Turnbull didn't travel to SA Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Thu 6 Oct 2022 - 1:54

mikey_dragon wrote:
PhilBB wrote:

No, Turnbull didn't travel to SA Wink.

Damn. Undone by a few days into Autumn.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down