The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tournaments to end of season 2022

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tournaments to end of season 2022 - Page 2 Empty Tournaments to end of season 2022

Post by sirfredperry Wed 28 Sep 2022, 7:18 am

First topic message reminder :

After the Federer final farewell, we move on to the rest of the season.

The race is on to be year-end number one in the men's, while Swiatek is far away at the top among the women. Djoko will be keen to get some matches in and is playing this week in Tel Aviv.

Some might argue Alcaraz has done the easy bit by reaching number one. The hard part is staying there. But whatever happens, his is a remarkable achievement, even if the no-points Wimbledon and the absences of Djoko have made it easier for the young Spaniard.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Tournaments to end of season 2022 - Page 2 Empty Re: Tournaments to end of season 2022

Post by sirfredperry Tue 15 Nov 2022, 5:37 pm

Rafa is down, and almost out, of the WTF, after losing in straight sets to FAA.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Tournaments to end of season 2022 - Page 2 Empty Re: Tournaments to end of season 2022

Post by Henman Bill Tue 15 Nov 2022, 5:49 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Rafa lost in straight sets to Fritz while Ruud beat a (worn-out?) FAA in the opening matches.

This means that Rafa will have to reach the final to take over number one, while Tsitsipas has to win all his matches. Likely, then, that Alcaraz will end the year as numero uno.

Rafa seemed to be in prime position before the US Open, then he chose not to play hardly any tournaments after that. Did he make a conscious decision that he wasn't that bothered about the number one? And then turning up at Paris and year end tournament without match practice cost him?? He could have played a couple of 500s in October if he'd really wanted to be no 1, and perhaps won one of them, and then come into Paris sharper.

Or did he have some injuries or other issues?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 15 Nov 2022, 8:47 pm

Ruud has just taken the first set against Fritz. This means that Rafa has been knocked out and so Alcaraz will be the year-end number one - and the youngest to do so.

Although it could be argued that this has been a strange year (bans for Djoko, no points at Wimbledon) Alcaraz's achievement, at 19 years of age, is a considerable one.

Now that Djoko is set to play the AO and assuming ranking points will be on offer at SW19, we await to see if Alcaraz can stay at the top.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 16 Nov 2022, 8:16 am

Ruud went on to win a tight match, taking the final set tiebreak.

As for Alcaraz, a good showing at the AO, where he has only 90 pts to defend, will be a good start to a year where everyone will be gunning for him.

I think his main rival will be Djoko who I would already make AO favourite and who is likely to play a lot more than he did in 2022.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 16 Nov 2022, 10:41 am

Henman Bill wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:Rafa lost in straight sets to Fritz while Ruud beat a (worn-out?) FAA in the opening matches.

This means that Rafa will have to reach the final to take over number one, while Tsitsipas has to win all his matches. Likely, then, that Alcaraz will end the year as numero uno.

Rafa seemed to be in prime position before the US Open, then he chose not to play hardly any tournaments after that. Did he make a conscious decision that he wasn't that bothered about the number one? And then turning up at Paris and year end tournament without match practice cost him?? He could have played a couple of 500s in October if he'd really wanted to be no 1, and perhaps won one of them, and then come into Paris sharper.

His wife gave birth to their first child in October, so he's had some late season paternity leave Smile . Also, we know that historically, Rafa hasn't necessarily been that bothered by the no 1 ranking spot, so I doubt he sees this as having been a bad choice.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 16 Nov 2022, 10:52 am

sirfredperry wrote:Ruud has just taken the first set against Fritz. This means that Rafa has been knocked out and so Alcaraz will be the year-end number one - and the youngest to do so.

Although it could be argued that this has been a strange year (bans for Djoko, no points at Wimbledon) Alcaraz's achievement, at 19 years of age, is a considerable one.

Now that Djoko is set to play the AO and assuming ranking points will be on offer at SW19, we await to see if Alcaraz can stay at the top.

Definitely a strange year, at least compared with the recent past where we have got so used to 3 or 4 players dominating the major tournaments.

Ok, the lack of Wimbledon points have made some difference, but I just did a quick comparison with 2019 (i.e. the last full season before Covid screwed the schedule and the rankings) - Rafa was YE #1 with just under 10K points, Novak second with just over 9K and Roger 3rd at just over 6K. So Alcaraz's YE points haul is enough to have put him 3rd in 2019. Points are more spread though - even allowing for their being somewhat fewer given the no points awarded for Wimbledon, Monfils was 10th in 2019 with points that would have put him 14th this year.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 16 Nov 2022, 6:10 pm

dummy_half wrote:
Henman Bill wrote:

His wife gave birth to their first child in October, so he's had some late season paternity leave Smile . Also, we know that historically, Rafa hasn't necessarily been that bothered by the no 1 ranking spot, so I doubt he sees this as having been a bad choice.

That makes sense. Now that you mention it, I may even have heard about the birth. Actually a pretty good decision then to ditch the no 1 ranking.

I am a bit surprised as I check to see Rafa has already equalled Federer with 5 year end no 1s, with Djokovic on 7. I once tried to conclude how many times Pancho Gonzales would have been year end no 1 and I figured probably 7 or 8 although some years were too close to call without a system in place. Novak has the record since there was an actual ranking system to calculate it.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 17 Nov 2022, 7:59 am

Medvedev has joined Rafa in getting dumped out of the WTF. The Russian saved three MPs in the second set tiebreak against Tsitsipas and led 5-3 in the third set.

But Tsitsipas broke back and won the subsequent tiebreak. He will now play Rublev to see who makes the semis.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 17 Nov 2022, 12:05 pm

Henman Bill wrote:

I am a bit surprised as I check to see Rafa has already equalled Federer with 5 year end no 1s, with Djokovic on 7. I once tried to conclude how many times Pancho Gonzales would have been year end no 1 and I figured probably 7 or 8 although some years were too close to call without a system in place. Novak has the record since there was an actual ranking system to calculate it.

It's another pretty remarkable stat from the Big 3 that they have held the year end ~1 spot for 17 of the preceeding 18 years (Murray interupting the streak), with careers running basically in parallel - Fed's first #1 in 2004 came before Rafa was a significant force, but he was #2 by 2005, with both Djokovic and Murray being around at least the top 16 by 2006.

It's odd looking back and noticing that Federer is actually older than Roddick, Coria, Nalbandian and the same age as Hewitt, who really feel like players of a different era.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 17 Nov 2022, 8:39 pm

Rafa got a consolation victory today over Ruud. He may have played fewer matches in 2022 but that sensational start made it one of his best years.
Rafa and Djoko, now the only players in the top 10 over the age of 26, took three of the four Slams this year. I reckon they could do something similar in 2023.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 18 Nov 2022, 7:51 am

Fritz outlasted FAA in a long match and goes thru to the semis. Can't really see anything but a Djoko overall victory.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 18 Nov 2022, 4:28 pm

Djoko has just defeated Medvedev in 3hrs 11mins. It went to a final set tiebreak and we all know how rock solid Novak is in breakers.

A possible 1,500pts here and a possible (likely, IMHO) 2,000 at the AO and Djoko will be either at, or very close to number one again.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri 18 Nov 2022, 7:15 pm

Hugely impressive run by Djokovic taking down Tsitsipas, Rublev and Medvedev, that was a really tough group. Would love to see Novak go on to win it for a 6th time. Djokovic may be only just inside top 10 in the world rankings but you could argue he is still the best player in the world. His numbers this year even more remarkable given how many tournaments he has missed. He will still be a big threat next year but I expect the younger players to make a further breakthrough. You wouldn't bet against Novak winning one more slam though before hanging up the racket.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 19 Nov 2022, 9:26 am

Slasher: I reckon Djoko can win two more slams in 2023 (AO and W'don). And, who knows? Maybe there could be more the following year.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 20 Nov 2022, 12:40 pm

It will be Djoko v Ruud for the WTF final tonight. Reckon Ruud will do well to get a set.

Not sure what to make of Ruud. He has had a terrific year, reaching two Slam finals. But he looked distinctly average at Wimbledon. Of course, it's harsh to judge someone on their grass-court form, particularly as there has been so little grass play over the last three years (no tourneys in 2020 and a truncated season in 2021).

2023 is going to be a different year for some of the guys who have reached high positions, especially if Djoko is able to play (and get points for) all the Slams.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon 21 Nov 2022, 8:22 am

Another phenomenal win at the world tour finals for Djokovic to tie Federers record of 6 titles. To drop just one set in the whole tournament at the age of 34 is just remarkable. His consistency across all surfaces is so impressive. When you consider how many tournament he missed this year I don’t know how he does it

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 21 Nov 2022, 9:16 am

To the surprise of few, Djoko took the WTF title with a straight sets victory over Ruud.

Novak said he considered himself to be the best player in the world but was only number five, with Alcaraz a deserving number one. Tis my belief that he (Djoko) will regain the numero uno position sometime during 2023.

Ruud was left to reflect on being runner-up in two Slams plus the year-end thingy. Understandably, and correctly, he reckoned that despite missing out on these big titles he'd finished number three in the world and it had been an outstanding year.

Am now going to have a look at what we predicted for 2022 at the beginning of the year. Been another strange year (the third in a row after Covid-hit 2020 and 2021) with a no-point Wimbledon and the Djoko absences.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2