The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

4 posters

Go down

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon Empty New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

Post by RugbyFan100 Wed 14 Dec 2022, 1:09 pm

https://www.scarlets.wales/article/prb-shares-principles-of-new-six-year-deal-with-wrpa/

Enhanced financing, new shareholder investment. This may mean that benefactors are allowed to invest again and that could see the Dragons back into private ownership:

Members of the Professional Rugby Board (PRB) met with the Welsh Rugby Players Association (WRPA) recently to update on the current position on a new funding model for the professional game in Wales, after welcoming a verbal agreement on a new six-year-deal.

The verbal agreement reached is a six-year-framework which details significantly enhanced WRU funding expectations from distributable monies, club commercial performance, URC media rights, new debt and shareholder investment.

This funding model sits at the centre of a root and branch review of the professional game, from pathways and academies to professional regions and the national team. 

Communication to the WRPA, following the meeting, outlines the principles for player contract negotiations for the four regional sides, which the Regions aim to begin anew in the New Year on a conditional basis. 

The conditional requirement is included to provide reassurance to players in the time between the recent verbal agreement being reached as described and a full formal agreement being signed by all parties, endorsed by the WRU Board, Regional Boards and relevant banking consents being received. 

The new contract in draft form will be shared with the WRPA shortly.

The PRB understands delays in reaching verbal agreement and the time required to process legal documentation have prevented the Regions from contracting some players for future seasons. 

The concern caused amongst players, their agents, and supporters is hugely regrettable, but it is important that this is done correctly. 

This is why we aim to offer conditional contracts, giving players details of their individual offer. Further updates on this initiative will be provided to the WRPA next week. 

There is still much to do, but the PRB will continue to work together with the WRPA for the benefit of all parties.

RugbyFan100

Posts : 2199
Join date : 2016-10-07

Back to top Go down

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon Empty Re: New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

Post by Oakdene Wed 14 Dec 2022, 2:56 pm

Got to laugh at the offering a conditional contract to players in the interim but they aren't legally binding!

Oakdene

Posts : 691
Join date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon Empty Re: New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

Post by RiscaGame Thu 15 Dec 2022, 6:26 am

Oakdene wrote:Got to laugh at the offering a conditional contract to players in the interim but they aren't legally binding!

Yes, that's horrendous.

I would like to think that this verbal agreement should definitely get Dragons back into private ownership, as that was allegedly the only thing holding Blufftress back.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 5414
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon Empty Re: New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

Post by Oakdene Thu 15 Dec 2022, 9:07 am

RiscaGame wrote:
Oakdene wrote:Got to laugh at the offering a conditional contract to players in the interim but they aren't legally binding!

Yes, that's horrendous.

I would like to think that this verbal agreement should definitely get Dragons back into private ownership, as that was allegedly the only thing holding Blufftress back.

Its more the fact that they can have a conditional offer which will get signed say next year but the player could get injured over the Christmas period & then it get withdrawn.

Oakdene

Posts : 691
Join date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon Empty Re: New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

Post by RiscaGame Thu 15 Dec 2022, 11:38 am

I get that aye. I was replying to both of you, but was being lazy haha.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 5414
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon Empty Re: New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

Post by Pot Hale Thu 12 Jan 2023, 5:54 pm

Any word on when this will be announced as formally signed?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7675
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 60
Location : North East

Back to top Go down

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon Empty Re: New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

Post by Oakdene Fri 13 Jan 2023, 8:29 am

Pot Hale wrote:Any word on when this will be announced as formally signed?

So if it's the 13th Jan today, taking into account the position of Mars in the night sky plus add into the fact that my dog pinched a sausage off the work top last night, I think we are looking at a date anytime between now & July.....

Oakdene

Posts : 691
Join date : 2012-06-14

carpet baboon likes this post

Back to top Go down

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon Empty Re: New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

Post by RiscaGame Fri 13 Jan 2023, 8:54 am

I am sure I read on twitter, that no such verbal agreement exists or that they aren't close to actually signing any deal anyway. Think it was from somebody who is/was on Ospreys board.

It's a very sorry state of affairs.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 5414
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon Empty Re: New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

Post by Oakdene Fri 13 Jan 2023, 9:02 am

RiscaGame wrote:I am sure I read on twitter, that no such verbal agreement exists or that they aren't close to actually signing any deal anyway. Think it was from somebody who is/was on Ospreys board.

It's a very sorry state of affairs.

That actually wouldn't surprise me at all.

The Scarlets & Ospreys have over 50 players out of contract this summer & as of yet are unable to offer any legally binding deals to those players to keep them employed. These players will, rightly so, seek employment elsewhere & this will have a huge knock on effect for the professional game in Wales.

Oakdene

Posts : 691
Join date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon Empty Re: New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

Post by RiscaGame Fri 13 Jan 2023, 9:18 am

I do wonder whether WRPA are considering striking soon. It's bad. It's bad for all teams. The numbers for the two West teams are bad, but Dragons on a slightly smaller squad are losing some pretty key players too and we definitely don't have the quality to lose some of those nearly out of contract.

RiscaGame
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 5414
Join date : 2016-01-24

Oakdene likes this post

Back to top Go down

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon Empty Re: New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

Post by Oakdene Fri 13 Jan 2023, 9:32 am

RiscaGame wrote:I do wonder whether WRPA are considering striking soon. It's bad. It's bad for all teams. The numbers for the two West teams are bad, but Dragons on a slightly smaller squad are losing some pretty key players too and we definitely don't have the quality to lose some of those nearly out of contract.

I'll be honest I was thinking that when I have seen people striking on the news. I really don't see what other options they have. It's hard not to feel for the players as at the end of the day they are human with mortgages & families to keep. Currently the situation is something like this:

Welsh region "Right <insert name here>, we know you're out of contract in the summer but we really want to keep you on board with us. So we're going to make you an offer".
Player, "Tidy, I'm happy here so as long as the finances make sense I'll sign now".
Region, "Ah now see when we say make you an offer, its more an agreement kind of verbal agreement if you will".
Player, "Oh ok, well that doesn't sound too bad I mean an agreement is an agreement like so I'm sure it's all kosher".
Region, "Yeah so basically all in, when you consider the current state of player we will offer you £150,000 pa"
Player, "Ok that sounds good. I'm happy with that, so we're in agreement that when you're finished with the WRU agreement, we can sign a proper contract".
Region, "Thats the plan. Tidy darts."

Meanwhile an English club comes in & offers the player £135,000 pa & the player laughs is off preferring to stay at the region which is paying £15,000 pa more. Then in March

Player, "So can I sign that contract now?"
Region, "Yep, we've got it here for you. Just sign on the back page".
Player, "Ok, all looks good.....hang on, why is my salary now only £100,000?"
Region, "This is all we can afford after our agreement with the WRU was signed".
Player, "But you said it was a verbal agreement"
Region, "Yes but that wasn't legally binding"

Oakdene

Posts : 691
Join date : 2012-06-14

RiscaGame likes this post

Back to top Go down

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon Empty Re: New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

Post by Pot Hale Fri 13 Jan 2023, 10:57 am

Oakdene wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:I do wonder whether WRPA are considering striking soon. It's bad. It's bad for all teams. The numbers for the two West teams are bad, but Dragons on a slightly smaller squad are losing some pretty key players too and we definitely don't have the quality to lose some of those nearly out of contract.

I'll be honest I was thinking that when I have seen people striking on the news. I really don't see what other options they have. It's hard not to feel for the players as at the end of the day they are human with mortgages & families to keep. Currently the situation is something like this:

Welsh region "Right <insert name here>, we know you're out of contract in the summer but we really want to keep you on board with us. So we're going to make you an offer".
Player, "Tidy, I'm happy here so as long as the finances make sense I'll sign now".
Region, "Ah now see when we say make you an offer, its more an agreement kind of verbal agreement if you will".
Player, "Oh ok, well that doesn't sound too bad I mean an agreement is an agreement like so I'm sure it's all kosher".
Region, "Yeah so basically all in, when you consider the current state of player we will offer you £150,000 pa"
Player, "Ok that sounds good. I'm happy with that, so we're in agreement that when you're finished with the WRU agreement, we can sign a proper contract".
Region, "Thats the plan. Tidy darts."

Meanwhile an English club comes in & offers the player £135,000 pa & the player laughs is off preferring to stay at the region which is paying £15,000 pa more. Then in March

Player, "So can I sign that contract now?"
Region, "Yep, we've got it here for you. Just sign on the back page".
Player, "Ok, all looks good.....hang on, why is my salary now only £100,000?"
Region, "This is all we can afford after our agreement with the WRU was signed".
Player, "But you said it was a verbal agreement"
Region, "Yes but that wasn't legally binding"
Player, Well I got an offer of 135,000 from an English club so I'm going to take that then.
Region, Well, if you do that, you won't be picked for national duty
Player, I've never been picked for national duty
Region, well, in case you were, you wouldn't be.
Player, well I'm going to take it anyway.
Region, ok then. The door is always open, bye now
Player, So you said you'd give me a contract for 135,000
Club, We did? Oh that was before.
Player, Before what?
Club, Before you turned it down, it's 90,000 now.
Player, 90,000? I have an offer of £100,000 from my region to stay
Club, An offer you say? Well then, you'd better take that then. Best of luck.
Player, So eh, I've had a re-think, and I've decided I'll stay and take the £100,000
Region, what £100,000? You turned that down.
Player, yes well I've changed my mind.
Region, So have we - we can only afford £80,000 now.
Player, But you gave me a contract for £100,000
Region - well yes, but you didn't sign it, did you?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7675
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 60
Location : North East

Back to top Go down

New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon Empty Re: New Welsh rugby 6 year deal on the horizon

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum