The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

County Championship 2023

+6
Lowlandbrit
Good Golly I'm Olly
JDizzle
guildfordbat
alfie
Duty281
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

County Championship 2023 Empty County Championship 2023

Post by Duty281 Mon 3 Apr 2023 - 19:29

The 123rd iteration of the County Championship. Guildford remembers them all...

This year it is sponsored by Bazball, as McCullum and Stokes are urging counties to replicate England's bold new approach.

The ECB seem to be right behind this, as they've instituted some rule changes. Points for a draw have been reduced from 8 to 5; batting bonus points now kick in from 250 runs, up to 450 runs, rather than the old method of between 200 and 400; pitches are expected to be flatter; and the Kookaburra ball will be used in rounds nine and ten.

On the flip side, the Dukes balls are expected to be more potent for the bowlers, so it could be carnage if the batsmen take it on.

The structure for the season remains the same as last year, with a top division of ten and a second division of eight. Two go up, two go down, and it's a straight league format with no play-offs or finals. And it looks as though this structure will remain for the foreseeable future, after the counties didn't buy into Strauss' reforms.

Surrey are the defending champions after, dare I say, a somewhat unexpected victory last year, and have been installed as the bookmakers' favourites to win it again. However, Hampshire, Essex and Lancashire are all expected to be well in the hunt, along with newly-promoted Nottinghamshire. Middlesex and Northants are the current favourites for the drop.

In Division Two, Yorkshire, blighted by off the field scandal and financial strife, are nonetheless strong favourites to bounce straight back up to the top flight, with Sussex second favourites (despite only winning once last season) and Glamorgan just behind.

So, will Somerset finally end all those years of hurt? Will Dom Sibley blast a 50-ball ton? Will someone break Lara's 501? And, most importantly, will Leicestershire actually win a game of cricket?

Last edited by Duty281 on Wed 5 Apr 2023 - 12:08; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

guildfordbat, thegooch7, king_carlos and Lowlandbrit like this post

Back to top Go down

County Championship 2023 Empty Re: County Championship 2023

Post by alfie Wed 5 Apr 2023 - 7:39

I think it is actually ten in Div 1 and eight in Div 2 this year.

alfie

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 5 Apr 2023 - 14:47

Hi Duty - thanks for starting off the new county season here and the shout out.  Wink

Yeah, Alfie's right about the two divisions being split 10/8. Ridiculous state of affairs - they try and make up various excuses for this but it really all boils down to selfish and cowardly County chairmen wanting their club to be in Div One and so continuing to vote for an unequal split with more than half in the top tier. With only 14 CC matches being played each season, the consequence is that it becomes pot luck in Div One whether you play another side twice or only once. 

It does look like a lot of Strauss' recommendations are being pushed to the long grass but supporters of the 4 day game continue to have little trust in those higher up the food chain and watch out for what might still happen.

As for winners and losers come late September, maybe Lancs or Essex for silverware. Two solid sides being reinforced this year by overseas talent. As usual, Essex have the deadly Harmer but also now the seam of Doug Bracewell from New Zealand. Two other Kiwi signings should certainly benefit Lancs - Andrew Mitchell from next month and Colin de G from the off. I suspect the new points system, probably owing much to Bazball as you say, will not aid Surrey. Batters like Burns and Patel plus the returning Sibley are not tonkers but grinders and it was that ''wear the opposition down gradually'' approach which was instrumental in Surrey's success in 2022. Surrey will be helped though when the Tests come round by the signing for 5 CC matches of yet another Kiwi - Tom Latham. A good stand in for Pope and with the gloves also for Foakes if he keeps his England place.

As for the other end of the table, I think Middlesex may be ok in avoiding the drop. They've got some good seamers - the ever green Murtagh, Toblerone Jones, Helm and Bamber - who may be able to successfully exploit conditions over the next month and a half in which a fair few matches are to be played and get enough points on the board to stand them in good stead later on. Northants and Kent are the two I would worry about.

guildfordbat

thegooch7, alfie and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 6 Apr 2023 - 9:41

Just here to remind everyone Ed Barnard now plays for a fashionable Div 1 County and is going to score 1000 runs and play for England this year. I know I’ve said this every year since 2018 but he actually gets picked as a batter now!

JDizzle

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 6 Apr 2023 - 9:46

Tom Price at Gloucs has interesting figures - averages 23 with the ball. Look forward to seeing how he goes and try to catch a bit of him.

JDizzle

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 6 Apr 2023 - 10:43

JDizzle wrote:Just here to remind everyone Ed Barnard now plays for a fashionable Div 1 County and is going to score 1000 runs and play for England this year. I know I’ve said this every year since 2018 but he actually gets picked as a batter now!

One year he is going to get a game in an ODI against the Dutch or Ireland, and it will be a glorious day JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

JDizzle and guildfordbat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 6 Apr 2023 - 12:49

Is Finlay Bean of Yorkshire one to keep an eye on? He scored 441 runs in one innings in the second XI Championship last year, a record, and has kicked off this season in the first XI with 56* from 65, admittedly v Leicestershire.

Elsewhere, seems to be a lot of rain, and the usual sight of Abbas taking all the wickets for Hampshire.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 6 Apr 2023 - 13:19

Duty281 wrote:Is Finlay Bean of Yorkshire one to keep an eye on? He scored 441 runs in one innings in the second XI Championship last year, a record, and has kicked off this season in the first XI with 56* from 65, admittedly v Leicestershire.

Elsewhere, seems to be a lot of rain, and the usual sight of Abbas taking all the wickets for Hampshire.

Although at Sophia Gardens for Glamorgan's match against Gloucs, the rain has passed. Unfortunately, the mechanical cover on the square has broken down and can't be moved off it!  Rolling Eyes

Cricket just doesn't help itself sometimes so often!

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 6 Apr 2023 - 18:22

Lees, Foakes, Lawrence and Malan all getting half-centuries on opening day, and a century in 132 balls for the aforementioned Bean. Should get to see Zak Crawley bat tomorrow, but for how long is another matter!

Abbas the bowling standout today, with 6/49 v Nottinghamshire.

Duty281

guildfordbat and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 7 Apr 2023 - 20:24

Shouldn't doubt Crawley - he kicked off the year with a 91, his side's only major contribution with the bat. But, as it took 171 balls, it was an un-Crawley like innings.

Duckett punched in a breezy half-century today, but couldn't kick on to a bigger score as his Notts side collapsed (again) against Hampshire.

Main entertainment for the day probably came from Middlesex. All of their top four, in the first innings of the season, were out for ducks, but Simpson and Higgins (the only two to make double figures) managed to take their side to 170ao.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 8 Apr 2023 - 16:16

In today's episode of 'cricket is a very silly game; why do we even like it?' - Hampshire need one more run to win. One. And they've gone off for tea.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 9 Apr 2023 - 11:00

Duty281 wrote:In today's episode of 'cricket is a very silly game; why do we even like it?' - Hampshire need one more run to win. One. And they've gone off for tea.

Yep, ridiculous!

Anyway, Hants got the win comfortably enough in the end and top the table for now. I didn't comment on their chances for Championship silverware when I replied to your opening post, Duty. That was remiss of me but I was rather inclined to dismiss them as I thought they had their chance last year and some of their players would be getting on a bit now without that much back up available. Possibly that was a tad premature and unfair. They are a canny and experienced bunch and presumably still have Crane to slot in when true summer arrives. I still wouldn't suggest you put money on them but they might just be in the mix.

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 9 Apr 2023 - 18:40

Barely believable stuff in Leeds as Leicestershire chase down 392 in 85.5 overs to topple Yorkshire, with three wickets remaining.

Yorkshire scored 517 in the first innings, and declared in the third, giving themselves 87 overs to win the game. But a century from Rishi Patel, half-centuries from Ackermann and Handscomb, plus 40 off 32 from the number nine Chris Wright, gave Leicestershire a shock win. The unbeaten 8th wicket partnership that got them home scored 65 off 48. A very all or nothing approach.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 9 Apr 2023 - 20:35

Duty281 wrote:Barely believable stuff in Leeds as Leicestershire chase down 392 in 85.5 overs to topple Yorkshire, with three wickets remaining.

Yorkshire scored 517 in the first innings, and declared in the third, giving themselves 87 overs to win the game. But a century from Rishi Patel, half-centuries from Ackermann and Handscomb, plus 40 off 32 from the number nine Chris Wright, gave Leicestershire a shock win. The unbeaten 8th wicket partnership that got them home scored 65 off 48. A very all or nothing approach.

Unbelievable, Jeff ... errh ... Duty - I saw the score mid-afternoon and thought Leics had a chance of getting away with a draw. Didn't contemplate them winning. Shocked

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Apr 2023 - 3:51

Duty281 wrote:Barely believable stuff in Leeds as Leicestershire chase down 392 in 85.5 overs to topple Yorkshire, with three wickets remaining.

Pretty good chase ! Bazball catching on , eh ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Apr 2023 - 10:59

It was a very Bazball game all round. Yorkshire only took 102 overs to amass their 517 in the first innings, and Leicestershire were of course swift all the way through. In amongst Handscomb and Wright's heroics, Rehan Ahmed scored 85 in the first innings and picked up four wickets.

Elsewhere, Kent chased down 227 with ease to beat Northants. Crawley was out cheaply in the second innings, but Ben Compton got his first ton of the season. Lancashire saved a draw v Surrey, Bohannon getting a ton for Lancashire, and Foakes scored a ton plus a 76 in the first dig, excellent start for him.

Essex beat Middlesex easily, Middlesex's top order was abysmal. Jack Leach took 4/119 for Somerset, while C Overton was wicketless, that game v Warwickshire drifted to a tame draw. Hampshire, as noted, won fairly easily over Notts. I like Hampshire's chances for the title again; with the seam attack they have they are capable of beating anyone.

In a thriller in division two, Sussex scraped past Durham with a two-wicket win in a chase of 232. Alex Lees (remember him) got a half-century, but Matthew Potts will have been very disappointed with his figures of 0/87 in the crucial fourth innings, with an economy over 4.5. Potts had a good start to his test career last year, however it's hard to see him coming back in this summer with the incredible competition for places. There was no Ollie Robinson (the bowler) in this game as England didn't give him clearance to play.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Apr 2023 - 11:58

Middlesex have got a problem. Against Essex in the first game - 4/4 and 41/4. Today against Northants - 11/4!

What an amazing top four.

Anderson and Broad playing in this round of fixtures, always nice to see.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 13 Apr 2023 - 12:45

Duty281 wrote:Middlesex have got a problem. Against Essex in the first game - 4/4 and 41/4. Today against Northants - 11/4!

What an amazing top four.

Anderson and Broad playing in this round of fixtures, always nice to see.

I spoke up for Middlesex's seam attack on the eve of the season and they didn't let me down against Essex. However, there's little point in them even turning up if their batsmen are going to score so feebly.

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 13 Apr 2023 - 19:40

Sam Cook for England - what do we think? Is he too slow to be a test bowler?

Because today Sam Cook picked up 5/42 against Lancashire, meaning that he's taken 226 FC wickets at an average of below 20. Since 1990, in fact, only Murali has a lower County Championship bowling average than Cook (minimum 200 wickets). And he's only 25. Cook did get some Lions games over the winter in Sri Lanka and performed solidly if not spectacularly.

Anderson did manage to hit back for Lancashire late on, he's got 2/33 in his season opener so far.

Nottinghamshire had a stunning collapse v Somerset - 170/2 to 256ao. Duckett got another half-century, but didn't convert (a common theme, it seems), as did Hameed. Gregory got 7/84 for Somerset, while C Overton and Leach made little impact.

Yates and Hain both got centuries for Warwickshire v Kent. Yates still harbouring ambitions of becoming an England opener, but he had a dreadful season in 2022 and needs more scores like this one to rebound fully.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri 14 Apr 2023 - 12:31

Duty281 wrote:Sam Cook for England - what do we think? Is he too slow to be a test bowler?
It's tricky; because it's a step up and you want an outstanding quality to avoid being exposed, but it also risks becoming a self fulfilling prophecy where nobody gets a chance because there isn't anyone doing it successfully (because they don't get a chance). The real problem is what role would he have in the lineup?

Lowlandbrit

guildfordbat and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 14 Apr 2023 - 17:32

In some ways, I feel Sam Cook is unlucky to be playing at the current time. If he had been playing in the '90s, he would probably have a couple of Test caps. Mind you, unless he had successfully produced his county form in those two matches, he would probably have been discarded in that merry-go-round era to never be seen again on the international stage.

As it is, he's definitely more than a good county pro but a little way down the England pecking order today with so many other decent contenders around, most of whom already have Test wickets to their name and want more. That doesn't mean his chance will never come but he'll need to be patient and keep delivering for Essex whilst hoping that a mix of retirements, injuries and loss of form for others presents an opportunity. If he can add a touch of extra pace in the meantime, so much the better although I wouldn't get totally hung on that, especially for home Tests.

I see he's 25. Who knows where he and others around now will be when he's 27 or 28? He's already almost certainly above his county colleague and one-time Test hopeful Jamie Porter. Few would have foreseen that when Cook was 21 or 22.

Just a couple of other things. 

Quite a few in the game have a derogatory view of the Chelmsford track and believe it's too much of a ''results wicket''. Whether that's a correct impression or not, it's important for Cook to produce winning performances away from home. [I don't know his stats sufficiently to say if that's currently the case or not.]

Whilst his day job is undoubtedly to take wickets, I note his first class batting average is under 10. Any movement northwards would be helpful.

guildfordbat

king_carlos, Duty281 and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 15 Apr 2023 - 17:09

Rain has ruined a few of this week's fixtures.

Gloucestershire v Yorkshire was abandoned without a ball being bowled (a rarity these days!), and Leicestershire v Derbyshire is also heading for a draw after no play on days two and three. The only other fixture in Division Two, Durham v Worcestershire, is heading for a high-scoring draw - Lees getting another half-century, and Potts not having the best return with the ball; his figures currently 3/110 with an economy over 4.

In Division One, Essex v Lancashire is brilliantly poised, but persistent rain leaves anything other than a draw to be highly unlikely. Northants are heading for victory over Middlesex - Middlesex's top four doing a bit better in the second innings, but still nowhere near good enough. Pieter Malan, Middlesex's number three, has started the season with 0, 4, 2 and 0!

Notts are in control v Somerset in a fairly low-scoring game. Broad went wicketless in the first innings, despite Somerset only amassing 173. C Overton hasn't done much to boost his England chances with just one wicket in 21 overs so far. Surrey v Hampshire, as I'm sure we know, looks to be heading for a tight finish. Mohammed Abbas continues to be a marvel in April, although Pope did score 91 in the first innings.

And Kent are battling for survival v Warwickshire. Woakes had made no impact thus far for his side (scratch that, he just got his first wicket), while Crawley got a six-ball duck in the first innings.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 16 Apr 2023 - 19:10

Surrey with a hugely impressive win over title rivals Hampshire. Burns and Sibley blunting the new ball, then Pope scoring 122 off 102 to get them home. 247 made to look easy in a game where 270 was the highest score.

Kent were heartbroken v Warwickshire. Kent, following-on, were seven down after 38 overs, but the number nine and ten batsmen dug in for a combined 263 balls. However, it wasn't enough to scrape a draw, plus the number nine batsman (Evison) fell for 99, so that's extra agony. Woakes ended up with five wickets in the game.

Somerset and Middlesex both got comfortably beaten. Looks like it'll be a long season for Middlesex. Essex/Lancashire was a draw, although James Anderson dismissed Alastair Cook twice.

And Durham managed to beat Worcestershire in Division Two. Worcestershire put in a declaration when they were 60 behind, hoping to force a Durham collapse and engineer a chase. What actually happened was Durham blasting another 250 in 42 overs, declaring, then bowling Worcestershire out inside 65 overs - Kuhnemann with 5/53.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 16 Apr 2023 - 20:03

Felix Organ, Fletcha Middleton and Nick Gubbins are a fantastically named top 3. That's my well informed insight for the day.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 20 Apr 2023 - 13:14

Saqib Mahmood is back from injury for Lancashire this week, it's his first first-class game in a year.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 20 Apr 2023 - 15:52

JDizzle wrote:Tom Price at Gloucs has interesting figures - averages 23 with the ball. Look forward to seeing how he goes and try to catch a bit of him.

And has now blazed a 98 ball 109 from number 9 as Gloucs posted 231 after being 45-7!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 20 Apr 2023 - 18:35

JDizzle wrote:
JDizzle wrote:Tom Price at Gloucs has interesting figures - averages 23 with the ball. Look forward to seeing how he goes and try to catch a bit of him.

And has now blazed a 98 ball 109 from number 9 as Gloucs posted 231 after being 45-7!

And he's got a hat-trick today! One of his three being Azhar Ali.

Duty281

JDizzle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 20 Apr 2023 - 18:40

Duty281 wrote:
JDizzle wrote:

And he's got a hat-trick today! One of his three being Azhar Ali.

Ended up with 4/38! Days don’t get much better than that.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 21 Apr 2023 - 17:36

Other than that Worcestershire/Gloucestershire game, it seems to be a very batting-friendly set of fixtures, despite the overcast/rainy weather. Browne, Westley, Duckett, Gubbins, Vince, Abell, Rew, and Jennings all compiling centuries; although Anderson picked up 5/76.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 21 Apr 2023 - 18:47

Duty281 wrote:Other than that Worcestershire/Gloucestershire game, it seems to be a very batting-friendly set of fixtures, despite the overcast/rainy weather. Browne, Westley, Duckett, Gubbins, Vince, Abell, Rew, and Jennings all compiling centuries; although Anderson picked up 5/76.

Although not for Northants - one of my tips for the drop - who are currently 86/5 in reply to Hants' 482/8 declared. Abbas, Abbott and Fuller with the wickets as Barker misses this match with fractured hands (yes, hands - plural) after a battering from Surrey's pacemen last week.

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 22 Apr 2023 - 15:01

Kent look very much like they did last season; bit toothless with the ball, bit soft with the bat. Should pick up some wins against the weaker teams, and one of the better ones will probably bat themselves into a draw at some point, but generally frustrating to watch.
Crawley having a properly good day today for once at least.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 22 Apr 2023 - 18:03

Lowland - Kent have done pretty well to avoid the follow on against Essex and Harmer which, with the play lost on days 1 and 2, should get them a draw. Full honours to Crawley who scored 170.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 23 Apr 2023 - 5:59

Was watching the stream, and actually thought Crawley should have kept his foot on the gas instead of trying to settle things down once wickets started falling around him. The more cautious they were with Harmer, the more dangerous he got (although it could have just been the pitch changing).

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 23 Apr 2023 - 16:41

Nottinghamshire put in one of those silly declarations - they left Middlesex 249 to win in 40 overs. They always seem silly as a bowling side is almost certain to not dismiss a team in 40 overs, but a batting side always has a chance to swing the bat and see what happens. Middlesex's swinging has got them up to 100/2 with 26 overs left.

Most games look set to be draws, Hampshire may be the only winners of the week. Yorkshire are only 63 runs away from their first win of the season, but rain has kept them off the field all day and may deny them.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 23 Apr 2023 - 18:43

Yep, Yorkshire denied by rain, and Middlesex defy their rubbish batting thus far to chase down 249 with an over and four wickets to spare. Everyone chipping in for Middlesex, but Malan and Holden the biggest contributors.

Hope for some better weather next time after two rain-affected weeks.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 23 Apr 2023 - 20:12

Spot on overviews as usual, Duty.  thumbsup

If the type of ridiculous declaration that Notts made had been by another side in another country, serious questions would be being asked and inquiries underway. I don't actually doubt anyone's integrity in the current game but do remain bewildered - in line with your post - that the two possible outcomes of the side batting last either winning or shutting up shop couldn't be foreseen by cricket professionals.

Finally, a quick bit of praise for Somerset holding out for a draw against Lancs. Tremendous resolve shown by Gregory and Aldridge in an unbeaten 7th wicket partnership of 87 lasting almost 29 overs against Anderson and co. Lancs will be disappointed by that result as they aim to finish one place better than last season's Championship runners up.

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 24 Apr 2023 - 8:48

guildfordbat wrote:Finally, a quick bit of praise for Somerset holding out for a draw against Lancs.
Really impressive by some young players against a pretty big-name bowling lineup

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 25 Apr 2023 - 9:55

guildfordbat wrote:Spot on overviews as usual, Duty.  thumbsup

If the type of ridiculous declaration that Notts made had been by another side in another country, serious questions would be being asked and inquiries underway. I don't actually doubt anyone's integrity in the current game but do remain bewildered - in line with your post - that the two possible outcomes of the side batting last either winning or shutting up shop couldn't be foreseen by cricket professionals.

Finally, a quick bit of praise for Somerset holding out for a draw against Lancs. Tremendous resolve shown by Gregory and Aldridge in an unbeaten 7th wicket partnership of 87 lasting almost 29 overs against Anderson and co. Lancs will be disappointed by that result as they aim to finish one place better than last season's Championship runners up.

This is one area where the coaches should be on top of the statistics, in a sort of 'Moneyball' way - Are you going to end up with more point in the CC at the end of the season by making these declarations and trying to dismiss your opponents in a session and a half than in just playing out a tame draw? Given that there are more than 3 times the points for a win than a draw, there is potentially value in a somewhat risky declaration - win 1, lose 2 is better than draw 3, and even moreso if you pick up a draw. The question is whether over the course of a single season you will actually have three games play out that way.

There's no point (where time is a limiting factor) making the declaration once the target is totally out of reach, as you need the carrot of a chaseable total to buy a couple of early wickets, but obviously there's no point in making it too easy a target.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 25 Apr 2023 - 21:56

dummy_half wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Spot on overviews as usual, Duty.  thumbsup

This is one area where the coaches should be on top of the statistics, in a sort of 'Moneyball' way - Are you going to end up with more point in the CC at the end of the season by making these declarations and trying to dismiss your opponents in a session and a half than in just playing out a tame draw? Given that there are more than 3 times the points for a win than a draw, there is potentially value in a somewhat risky declaration - win 1, lose 2 is better than draw 3, and even moreso if you pick up a draw. The question is whether over the course of a single season you will actually have three games play out that way.

There's no point (where time is a limiting factor) making the declaration once the target is totally out of reach, as you need the carrot of a chaseable total to buy a couple of early wickets, but obviously there's no point in making it too easy a target.

The other consideration of course is whether your opponents are going to end up with more points at the end of the season as a consequence of your declaration(s) and how that might impact you. Sunday's declaration cost Notts the game but it could ultimately be more. Maybe just worth noting that Middlesex moved out of the relegation places on Sunday evening following their opponents' declaration.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 27 Apr 2023 - 9:31

Following my chat above with dummy, I came across this post last night on another site from a Warks supporter:
''Perhaps handy to take a draw off Surrey at this point and then play them without Foakes and Pope later in the year.''
Given he wrote that before the game starts today (weather permitting), I doubt he'll be pushing for his side to declare and give mine a sniff of 16 points for the win. Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 1 May 2023 - 14:18

Seemed like a fairly low-key set of games this week. Surrey and Middlesex both strolling to wins in Division One, both low-scoring games, and two draws and a Durham innings win in Division Two.

Surrey the early pace-setters in Division One, with Durham the same in Division Two, and Leicestershire appear to be setting up an unlikely promotion bid after going unbeaten in the first three games...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 1 May 2023 - 15:06

Duty281 wrote:Seemed like a fairly low-key set of games this week. Surrey and Middlesex both strolling to wins in Division One, both low-scoring games, and two draws and a Durham innings win in Division Two.

Surrey the early pace-setters in Division One, with Durham the same in Division Two, and Leicestershire appear to be setting up an unlikely promotion bid after going unbeaten in the first three games...

Hi Duty - those two Division One games could well turn out to be significant at both ends of the table though come late September. 

As I posted just before the season's start, Middlesex's best chance of avoiding relegation is to get wins early on when conditions should most suit their handy seam attack. Two wins for them now, largely down to Notts' much discussed declaration last week and Murtagh's tenfer against Kent over the weekend.

Meanwhile, Warks look a Championship contender - at least on paper - but were blown away by Surrey who appear to have realstic hopes of retaining theit title.

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 3 May 2023 - 6:41

That contentious declaration by Notts has turned Middlesex's season around after a disastrous start to the campaign.

Just wondered how the discussion, if there was one, between the two captains went. Did Notts insist they would only set a target if Middx continued to go for it even with plenty of wickets down?

I see that Smith is set to start for Sussex tomorrow. Doubt if bowlers will be too pleased to see him in a partnership with Pujara.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 4 May 2023 - 0:50

sirfredperry wrote:That contentious declaration by Notts has turned Middlesex's season around after a disastrous start to the campaign.

Just wondered how the discussion, if there was one, between the two captains went. Did Notts insist they would only set a target if Middx continued to go for it even with plenty of wickets down?

I see that Smith is set to start for Sussex tomorrow. Doubt if bowlers will be too pleased to see him in a partnership with Pujara.

For now anyway.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 4 May 2023 - 16:48

YJB is keeping for the Yorkies in this round of fixtures and has taken a blinder to dismiss Carlson, along with two other grabs.

https://twitter.com/yorkshireccc/status/1654124148304793601?s=46&t=wiyMk89KEarOmJqGyH0sCA

JDizzle

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 4 May 2023 - 18:54

Nice to see Bairstow back. He'll have to bail Yorkshire out tomorrow because he's come to the crease with his side 62/5, in reply to Glamorgan's 245ao (of which Labuschagne top scored with a gritty 65). Hopefully this isn't a sign of what Bairstow will have to deal with when he comes back for England! Yorkshire's early struggles continuing, they could be bottom of the pile (and still winless) if they lose here.

Also in Division Two, Ollie Robinson took 7/59 v Worcestershire, in a game which has attracted attention because Steve Smith is playing for Sussex. Pujara at 4, Smith at 5...it's a bit strong for Division Two!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Thu 4 May 2023 - 20:14

Duty281 wrote:He'll have to bail Yorkshire out tomorrow because he's come to the crease with his side 62/5
Double nightwatchman job though, so slightly deceptive (and bound to cheer some people up).

Lowlandbrit

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 5 May 2023 - 2:53

Lowlandbrit wrote:
Duty281 wrote:He'll have to bail Yorkshire out tomorrow because he's come to the crease with his side 62/5
Double nightwatchman job though, so slightly deceptive (and bound to cheer some people up).

Waiting for guildford to come on with a suitable denunciation of the folly of the Double Night Watchman Plan...

Certainly didn't seem to achieve much for Yorkshire yesterday ! But good to see Jonny back in CC action and seemingly moving well thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 5 May 2023 - 11:45

alfie wrote:
Lowlandbrit wrote:

Waiting for guildford to come on with a suitable denunciation of the folly of the Double Night Watchman Plan...

Certainly didn't seem to achieve much for Yorkshire yesterday !  But good to see Jonny back in CC action and seemingly moving well thumbsup

Fair to say, Yorkshire's efforts last night haven't exactly converted me to the cause of the Night Watchman. Once in a blue moon it may come off but so often it leads to a further wicket late in the day or early the next morning to boost the morale of the bowling side and ultimately increase the chances of a 'proper' batsman being left stranded when the tenth wicket falls. Doubly so, if not more, in this scenario.

Imo, a captain should back his batsmen to go out and bat whilst a batsman should support his captain and his team by doing just that rather than cowering in the changing room until the morning sun comes out.

As for Jonny behind the stumps, clearly a good day. However, the same for That's All in the People's Republic of Chelmsford. Five snaffles including a real beauty to dismiss the Chef. Competion becoming really tight for the role of England keeper - and that from a Surrey supporter who favours Bairstow for Tests provided he can prove his fitness.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 5 May 2023 - 13:09

Not often my thinking works out as good as this ... so please forgive me milking Yorkshire's woes following their Double Night Watchman Plan.Smile

Buoyed by his two cheap - if not give away - night watchmen wickets last night, Neser went on to finish with a sevenfer as Yorks were skittled for 106 and Jonny left marooned on 20 not out.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next