The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow v Toulon European Challenge Cup Final Friday 19th May 2023

+9
formerly known as Sam
LeinsterFan4life
neilthom7
George Carlin
bsando
jimbopip
RDW
Oakdene
BigGee
13 posters

Go down

Glasgow v Toulon European Challenge Cup Final Friday 19th May 2023 Empty Glasgow v Toulon European Challenge Cup Final Friday 19th May 2023

Post by BigGee Wed 17 May 2023, 8:55 am

Glasgow v Toulon
European Challenge Cup Final
Friday 19th May 2023

Aviva Stadium
Dublin

KO 20.00

Live on BT Sport

Well a first European Cup Final for the Warriors is surely worthy of it's own thread.

A big night out in Dublin awaits and a fascinating clash of styles to observe. Toulon not quite the Galatacios side of old, but still capable of putting out a mighty pack and some quick footed backs . On paper a good looking side, who have not really scaled the heights of the Top 14 in recent seasons for reasons that don't seem that obvious. They are a big money side though and will be under some pressure to deliver a result, not least because the previous owner promised all season ticket holders a free year if they did not win another trophy within the next five years (which is now!). Probably worth mentioning that there is some Scottish intrigue in their side as Cornel Du Preez and Glasgow old boy, Big Brian Alainu'uese (who meet his wife during his stint in Glasgow) will line up against us, not to mention the venerable Sergio Paraise, playing his last ever game before retirement at the age of 39 years old. Sione Tuipoltu will also line up against his old partner in the Australia U20s team, Duncan Paia'aua, now a Samoan international. Both players will know each other very well.

What will the Weggies bring to the party. Well firstly you would imagine, the wish to move the ball around and make the big lads of Toulon run around a lot, an experience they may not enjoy. Hopefully we will be a bit more pragmatic as well and not turn down every 3 point shot that comes along this time. We will have a different FH play maker for this game and whichever one plays, they will be a better kicking option than Tom Jordan is. That may be the missing ingedient in our game, providing they don't kick directly to Cheslin Colby!

Well I have taken out a second mortgage and purchased a Dublin hotel room for the night and will be making my first visit to the the fair city, can't wait for this game and am hoping to see a side along these lines for Glasgow:

1. Bhatti
2. Turner
3. Fagerson Z
4. Gray
5. Cummmings
6. Vialanu
7. Darge
8. Dempsey
9. Price - just a bit motre tactically astute than Horne and a better kicker
10. Miotti - having another goal kicker allows Price to start
11. Steyn
12. Tuipolotu
13. Jones
14. Cancielere
15. Smith

Subs - We know Franco will go 6:2

McBeth
Mathews
Berghan
Du Prez
Bean
Fagerson M
Horne
McDowell - who will cover FH and the rest of the backline

BigGee
Admin
Admin

RiscaGame likes this post

Back to top Go down

Glasgow v Toulon European Challenge Cup Final Friday 19th May 2023 Empty Re: Glasgow v Toulon European Challenge Cup Final Friday 19th May 2023

Post by BigGee Wed 17 May 2023, 9:06 am

https://ontopofthemoon.com/2023/05/16/match-preview-part-1-glasgow-warriors-v-rc-toulon-challenge-cup-final-2022-23/

A bundle of Stats about the two clubs from the legendary Glasgow poster Disco.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow v Toulon European Challenge Cup Final Friday 19th May 2023 Empty Re: Glasgow v Toulon European Challenge Cup Final Friday 19th May 2023

Post by Oakdene Wed 17 May 2023, 9:10 am

Good luck to you, after beating us in the semi's I hope you go all the way!

Oakdene

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 17 May 2023, 12:15 pm

Would love to see a Scottish team take the mental leap to actually winning a competition, something that's only happened once in the professional era.

They really should do it, but it's a final so anything can happen!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Oakdene likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 17 May 2023, 7:53 pm

Gros, Ollivon, Basteraud, Parisse, Big Brian.... gawd they even have a Georgian hooker whose name ends "ashvilli" Shocked Shocked Shocked

This is a fairly massive and pugnacious pack. Seriously big and brutal.

Let's not fool ourselves Glasgow have as much chance of winning as Jezza Corbyn has of being elected Mayor of Stockbridge.
I won't expose myself to ridicule by attempting to predict the likely Toulon side: they have an awful lot of very good players and their wage bill must be almost equal to the hole in the SNP's finances Shocked

Instead I shall consider Gee's prognostications on the General's likely selection.

1. Bhatti Bhatti and Ragnar must start, Berghan and McBeth have been in the 23 regularly so I can't see anyone else coming in.
2. Turner Turner didn't look too hot in his last outing and was replaced quite early. Matthews and Chuckles tend to get the nod when it's felt we need extra grunt in the scrum. I think Turner is the best of the three but we may well see Matthews start.
3. Fagerson Z
4. Gray 100% certain to play
5. Cummmings His pace or Groot's bulk? Do Turner and Cummings start on the bench? Then we up the pace when their pack is tiring: we need a kicking 10 for that. More on that later.
6. Vialanu If we start Big Shona we are looking to take their pack on at their own game. But it does allow Matt F to up the pace when he comes on.
7. Darge I have this image in my mind of the Toulon team coming out and everyone in the crowd looking at the sheer immensity of Basteraud, he is a Black Hole in a rugby player's body. Everyone will be awed. Except Rory Darge who'll be smirking and saying, "He's mine. Hey big man! You're claimed."
8. Dempsey
9. Price - just a bit motre tactically astute than Horne and a better kicker Hornito is on fire. Won't we want to keep their back row guessing as much as possible? Although Hornito's box kicking could prove costly against Toulon's counter attacks.
10. Miotti - having another goal kicker allows Price to start I have more concerns over The Leser Spotted Puma than I had at the start of the season. The Toulon back row will be big and will be relentless in charging down the 10/12 channel. Certainly TLSP gets the backs moving faster than Meatball, but is his kicking from hand better? Meatball is a better speedbump, methinks.
11. Steyn
12. Tuipolotu I have a sneaky feeling Lord Stafford will be in the 23. Given the French side will be pretty direct and Shug is not rugby's answer to Jake La Motta... we may see Stafford-Wee Shona with Shug at 15. Smith on the bench means lots of flexibility when we need replacements.
13. Jones
14. Cancielere
15. Smith

McBeth
Mathews
Berghan
Du Prez
Bean
Fagerson M
Horne
McDowell - who will cover FH and the rest of the backline

So...I agree completely with Gee's selection. Except maybe at hooker, lockblind side, both half backs, centre and full back. Other than that he's spot on. I bet he has picked the right side.

jimbopip

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 17 May 2023, 8:01 pm

You just know that right now Nigel Carolan is holding the office phone out and saying, "Franco there's a Lord Melchett here and he's saying 'That's the last thing any sane person would do and that's exactly why we'll do it and catch them off guard. Eh Blackadder?' "

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 18 May 2023, 8:57 am

Mark Palmer interview with Cornell du Preez, now a fixture in the Toulon backrow and who would likely have been one for Scotland this past decade was it not for that horrendous ankle injury whilst playing for Edinburgh. He also came back from a fractured larynx, which involved an ITU stay whilst at Worcester. Safe to say, he is a tough guy!

This will be his third final and yet to win one, they will be up for this game!

Toulon were yesterday preparing for the Challenge Cup final with a spot of archery, clay pigeon shooting and axe throwing in Dublin. None of these activities was game specific, but they do tie into the theme of what the Top 14 side expect from Glasgow tomorrow night.

“It’s going to be a real battle,” Cornell du Preez, the former Edinburgh back-rower, told The Times. “Glasgow are such a good all-round team these days. I’ve played against them a lot being with Edinburgh and then with them having been involved in some Scotland camps. Franco [Smith, the head coach] has made a big difference, they play the old way that we used to see from Glasgow, that attacking shape.

“I think that’s going to be our biggest challenge — defence. But they’ve got a good set piece as well, good defence, good fetchers like [Rory] Darge, guys all round the park, Huw Jones and Sione Tuipulotu in the centres. We are expecting a proper fight.”

After defeat with Edinburgh in the 2015 final, and then again with Toulon against Lyon this time last year, Du Preez hopes it can be third time lucky for him at the Aviva Stadium.

The 32-year-old is a fixture in a breakaway unit in which Charles Ollivon and Sergio Parisse tend to be the star attractions, and has thrived both on and off the pitch since making the move from Worcester Warriors in 2021 shortly before everything went south at Sixways.

ADVERTISEMENT
“I’m a defensive leader in the team, that’s where I try to contribute as much as possible,” he explained. “Obviously I try to get the odd carry, but that’s my role. Some of the back-row help run the lineout, some are more ball carriers, some are more defensive leaders. “We all have our role and we complement each other quite well.

“For us, this game is massive. It’s a Champions Cup spot for us if we can get a win, and it was a goal for us from the start of the season to win the Challenge Cup — and the Top 14 as well. The league is obviously a bit more difficult [Toulon have only an outside chance of nicking a play-off spot via their final regular-season game against Bordeaux], but we’ve an opportunity to win this tournament.

“Toulon have never won it before, and on a personal level I’ve lost those two finals, so it would be a good one for the club and something we look forward to trying to do. I wouldn’t say it’s much different to last year. The one thing that happened last year that could have contributed to it [Challenge Cup final defeat] was that we played pretty much straight through from January without a week off. Almost 20 games on the trot.

“We just weren’t as prepared as we are now, physically and mentally. There’s a lot of positivity around the group at the moment and boys are feeling confident.

“A good few of the Edinburgh boys have been in touch asking us to do them a favour, but I’m not mentioning any names!”

When Du Preez, who was born in Port Elizabeth, agreed the switch to the south of France, one of the conditions was that he would not be involved in Test rugby. His stint with Scotland — for whom he qualified on residency in 2016 — was pretty brief, but featured a number of memorable moments, such as a thrashing of the Wallabies, an agonising near miss against the All Blacks, and being part of the first Scottish team to win on Welsh soil in almost two decades.

That Llanelli success in October 2020 — the most recent of Du Preez’s nine caps — allowed him to bury the memory of a disastrous first Six Nations start in Cardiff two years previously, on an afternoon when everything that could go wrong for Gregor Townsend and his team duly did.

“I don’t have great memories of Cardiff,” Du Preez acknowledged. “My wife, to this day, if we watch a game from that stadium, she’s like, ‘Here we go again’. It just wasn’t a very good day at all. Llanelli, on the other hand, was pretty special.

ADVERTISEMENT
“The decision [to focus on club rugby] at the start wasn’t very difficult, because I wasn’t playing a lot for Scotland. That’s pretty much done while I’m here, that’s what I agreed with the club. My sole focus is on trying to play well and do well here. It was great at the time with Scotland, though, and obviously I would have loved to have played a lot more.”

Llanelli came two years after Du Preez suffered a fractured larynx — an injury exactly as hideous as it sounds — on his Worcester debut. He was in intensive care, unable to talk, for four weeks and was eating through a tube in his nose for six. During his time on the ICU, two patients in adjacent beds passed away.

“At the time, the doctors weren’t too positive,” he recalled. “They were working to get me the best possible life, not really thinking about the possibility of me being able to play rugby again.

“The more you recover, the better you feel and the more your mind goes to the opportunity to do it again. I’m all good now. Just my voice is deeper as a result, but I never get complaints when I go home — my wife likes it!”

On just about every level, things have worked out well for Du Preez. But there is still that small matter of a silver lining that only a trophy can bring.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 18 May 2023, 12:25 pm

Strong Glasgow team!

Gréât write up Gee and cheers for sharing the times article. Du preez is a great backrow and would have had more Scotland caps if not for his injuries. He never managed to get a run of form really.

It should be a great match but because Glasgow are missing Jordan and Toulon have Biggar that might play a factor in the result tomorrow night.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 18 May 2023, 12:33 pm

No info on injuries, but Turner not in the 23 probsbly the biggest surprise

JPdP has been in great form, so maybe no surprise he starts over RG.

We have gone for our best available backline (Horne over Pricd is 50:50 in my opinion). Huwipolotu is where we are goinv to score tries.

In summary a good team and a strong bench, but so have Toulon!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 18 May 2023, 3:52 pm

4. Gray 100% certain to play

That one came from the Kamikwazikwarteng school of predicting. lasted almost as long as Lizzie dripping.

jimbopip

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 18 May 2023, 4:03 pm

Toulon side;

15 Kolbe
14 Wainiqolo 13 Nayakalevu 12 Paia'aua 14 Villiere
10 Biggar 9 Serin

1 Priso 2 Baubigny 3 Gigashvili
4 Tanguy 5 Alainu'uese
6 C Du Preez 7 Olivon 8 Parisse

Bench Tolofua Gros Brookes Isa Basteraud Paillaugue West Sinzelle

Now here's a chink of light  Very Happy
Tanguy is 6'5 which is not huge for a second row. Certainly not tall for a line out jumper. Big Brian is about twice the weight he was when he was at Scotstoun (missing the ultra healthy west of Scotland diet). This season Big B has one lineout take for approx. every 150 minutes played: Old Gray has more takes in an average game than he has all season. I think Big B is actually too heavy to be lifted. This means that Ollivon, who is a very good jumper, will be their main target. We can, possibly, really get into their lineout. Conversely with Dempsey and Matt F as well as Groot and Cummings we should secure plenty of our ball. Also, they don't seem to have a second row on their bench: Ollivon slots on if needed. What's the odds of Big B sprinted onto a pass and pulling a hammy?
Also, I think our front row scrummages better than theirs. oh yeah

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 18 May 2023, 7:39 pm

Squeaky bum time.

As as someone delivers a decent kick in the crackers to Dan 'Look At My Shiny Medals' Biggar, I don't really care who wins. Lots of star quality in Toulon but they are absolutely not what they were. Anything can happen - I hope the game isn't decided by a stupid card or a bad refereeing decision.

And hopefully the crowd is a mix of drunken weegies and paddies roaring the soapevaders onwards.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 18 May 2023, 7:41 pm

I forgot they had Baptise Serin and Ihaiaihaiahaiahideehi West on the bench.

Not rubbish.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu 18 May 2023, 7:46 pm

Good luck to Glasgow, I'll be there and cheering you's on, now where did I leave my kilt

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

RDW, jimbopip and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 18 May 2023, 7:55 pm

Seeing the two lineups here makes you realise how worthwhile this competition is. This should be a cracker.

LeinsterFan4life

jimbopip and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 18 May 2023, 8:00 pm

Yes, Toulon are no bad side on paper.

The fact that they are no longer setting the Top 14 on fire suggests either their chemistry is not quite right, or that the Top 14 is a seriously strong league.

Both of those things may be true!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 18 May 2023, 9:13 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/may/18/franco-smith-glasgow-warriors-challenge-cup-final-toulon

Glasgow and Franco getting a bit of coverage in the Guardian, whatever next?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 19 May 2023, 8:29 am

BigGee wrote:Yes, Toulon are no bad side on paper.

The fact that they are no longer setting the Top 14 on fire suggests either their chemistry is not quite right, or that the Top 14 is a seriously strong league.

Both of those things may be true!

I think it's the fact the Top 14 is a very hard league now.

That said I think Toulon may have put all their eggs in this basket with a view to qualifying for next seasons Champions Cup.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 19 May 2023, 9:40 am

Toulon have stacked their bench. Could be an interesting second half when the likes of Tolofua, Gros, Isa, Basteraud and West come on.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 19 May 2023, 11:18 am

Glasgow bench is not to shabby either, 2 B&I Lions amongst others!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 19 May 2023, 12:39 pm

BigGee wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/may/18/franco-smith-glasgow-warriors-challenge-cup-final-toulon

Glasgow and Franco getting a bit of coverage in the Guardian, whatever next?

BBC radio 2 sports présenter even said a big good luck to Glasgow warriors this morning in the Zoe Ball show.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 19 May 2023, 8:08 pm

Dan Biggar off already but an early try for Toulon.

Both sides wanting to play wide early. Could be fun this one.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 19 May 2023, 8:27 pm

Not sure how Toulon are this dominant with such a slow front 5. They’re winning collisions though, big carriers up front and behind. Serin is looking class.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 19 May 2023, 8:37 pm

Glasgow knocking it on a lot…

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 19 May 2023, 8:51 pm

Toulon look like they’re going to walk this. Glasgow with more visits to their 22 and not a single point to show for it. Toulon look a lot better than some of the Champions Cup sides. Fair play to Parisse scoring a try in his last European match.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

sensisball likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 19 May 2023, 9:01 pm

Toulon's match to lose really. Glasgow are a fit team so the final quarter could be crucial if the second half is open and fast.

Toulon just need to keep the scoreboard ticking over and play the territory game.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 19 May 2023, 9:21 pm

Finally.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 19 May 2023, 9:22 pm

Skipper steps up!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 19 May 2023, 9:26 pm

Beat all three glasgow centres

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 19 May 2023, 9:31 pm

Bit of a bloodbath now.. poor Big Gee

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 19 May 2023, 9:49 pm

It's been a bit pooypulotu in defence tonight for Glasgow

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 19 May 2023, 9:51 pm

That was pretty unsportsman like from Kolbe at the end there. Shame becuase he is a great player but stuff like that is just childish.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Fri 19 May 2023, 9:56 pm

Oooft that's a paddlin.

How much of it was down to not starting Darge, Matthews, Gray etc, or were Toulon just different class?

These Things Take Time as the Smiths once said (RIP Andy Rourke).

Mcsweens

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 May 2023, 9:58 pm

Wtf was that Glasgow. Got to say his selections were proven to be wrong tonight, but the players should also hang their heads in shame - that was woeful.

Have they been taking notes from Edinburgh in training this week??

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 19 May 2023, 10:01 pm

Looked like a different team compared with the Glasgow that ripped through the urc this season. Not starting gray seemed a bad choice and perhaps smith got a bit fixated on the size of Toulon and tried to match them up front? Ultimately Glasgow just looked a bit like they did against Munster in attack. Overall a bit shell shocked by the occasion I think. Toulon clearly wanted it more.

bsando

sensisball likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 19 May 2023, 10:49 pm

Not the time for any detailed analysis but a you can say tonight eas that was very very dissapointing

We just did not turn up, which is unforgivable in a cup final!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 May 2023, 10:50 pm

BigGee wrote:Not the time for any detailed analysis but a you can say tonight eas that was very very dissapointing

We just did not turn up, which is unforgivable in a cup final!

Go drown your sorrows in Guinness gee!

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 20 May 2023, 6:32 am

There was just so many knock ons from Glasgow, that’s got to be the most disappointing thing. You can get outplayed or outmuscled by the other team but that many knockons is just criminal.

Toulon just looked physically stronger during the game, sorry for those of you who travelled over, was plenty of Glasgow fans making plenty of noise in the stadium last night.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 20 May 2023, 7:59 am

Glasgow looked strangely out of sorts and really lacked a playmaker. A lot of hesitation and missed passes in the backs

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 20 May 2023, 1:23 pm

Just sitting at Dublin airport waiting to fly home.

As we came in we found the Toulon team in the bar, with the trophy, enjoying a few beers and having a singsong. Clearly in good spirits and having had a good night.

My wife was delighted to get a photo with Sergio Parise and I got one and hsd a quick chat with Big Brian, who told me he did feel a little sorry for his Glasgow mates, he seems a really nice guy, so gently spoken for such a big guy. The rest of the Toulon team gave me a good ribbing as I was still wearing my Glasgow shirt. All is fair in love and rugby!

As to the game, well we bew Toulon had a good team on paper and it turned out they were good on the pitch as well. They were very well dederved winners no foubt and even if we had playrd our best game, we would have struggled.

As it happens, we did not play our best game!

Toulon had done their homework, knew how we would play and were sitting there ready for us. Their tactics were to kick smart into our territory, defend well and wait for us to make a mistake and we did. Thrn when they were out of sight, the played some drcent rugby as well.

For all thst we have steam rollerrd some poorer teams playing the Glasgow way, it seems very one dimensional and does not work sgainst better teams.

It might work better if we had a playmaking FH, but we don't. I do not think the result would have been different had any of our other FHs started last night, none of them can hold and fix a defence

I also think Franco got the team wrong.

Price can manage a game better than Horne, there is a reason Toonie picks him for Scotland. Neither of our starting half backs are good game managers.

Why he left Turner out of the squad as well is a mystery to me as well. He was fit and warmed up as an unused sub. Fraser Brown is often found wanting with pressure throws snd last night was no exception.

RG and Darge should also have been starting, ehy leave out your best and most experienced players?

In the great scheme of things, we have had a good season, better than we dared hopd sfter last year, but we remain a level below these top clubs. I don't really think we would have won, no matter who was in our team, had Toulon played like that, but it may have been a lot closer.

I hope next year we can develop our game a bit more, we are always going to be a limited side if our only tactic is to try and run round the outside of teams.

I suspect though, that to progress as a team, we need a longer term option at FH.

For all the dissapointment of the game, I gave enjoyed visiting Dublin and the Aviva is simply a fantastic stadium, as is the new Spurs stadium where the final will be next season, I hope we make if again, as it is very close to home for me and I would not have had to sell a kidney for a Dublin hotel room!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

RDW, bsando and Rugby Fan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 20 May 2023, 10:40 pm

Bloody brilliant Gee - I've seen your Twitter pictures and that must have been a great end to the trip meeting the squad.

Alas it is the life of a Scottish rugby fun that a rugby weekend away is bloody brilliant in every way except the game itself!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down