The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roland Garros 2023

+8
No name Bertie
JuliusHMarx
superflyweight
the-goon2
Soul Requiem
slashermcguirk
dummy_half
sirfredperry
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Roland Garros 2023 - Page 2 Empty Roland Garros 2023

Post by Guest Thu 25 May 2023, 7:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Alcaraz and Djokovic drawn in the same half.

Alcaraz projected to meet Norrie in R4.
FAA projected to meet Tsitsipas in R4 - also projected to meet Alcaraz in the 1/4 finals.

Djokovic projected to meet 2023 Monte Carlo champion Rublev in the 1/4 finals.

Ruud projected to meet Rune in the 1/4 finals.

Medvedev projected to meet Sinner/Zverev in the 1/4 finals.

Back to top Go down

Roland Garros 2023 - Page 2 Empty Re: Roland Garros 2023

Post by sirfredperry Mon 05 Jun 2023, 8:17 pm

Yes, on paper, it did look a fairly dull day. But it produced two long, eventful matches, both lasting almost four hours.

Haddad Maia was a point from going a set down and 4-0 down before recovering to beat S Tormo. And Rune came thru in a final-set tiebreak against Cerundolo despite failing to serve it out at 5-4 in that last set.

Swiatek won after Tsurenko had to retire 5-1 down in the first set, while there were wins for Jabeur, Gauff and Ruud.

Zverev has taken the first set 6-1 v Dimi in the night match

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 05 Jun 2023, 9:08 pm

Oh, Dimi. First, he spurned an opportunity to go a double break up in the second set, then completely went off the boil to present Zverev with a two sets to love lead.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon 05 Jun 2023, 11:43 pm

Dimitrov was disappointing today. I think Zverev is a dark horse to win..I still think Alcaraz will win it but I think Zverev may well reach the final on current form and he is a threat.

I hope Ruud (though rather boring) sends Rune packing, I find him unbearable. Appalling umpire blunder to allow Rune away with a double bounce on a key point in 3rd set. Rune had to have known that ball double bounced, it was clear as day! Really poor form by Rune to not admit it but would expect nothing more from him given his antics in other matches in the past.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 06 Jun 2023, 9:06 am

Agree that Zverev looks a threat. The key for him is his serve. He can have his off days with it, but it's a big weapon if functioning well.

As for the double bounces: When you play you usually know if the ball is not up although sometimes it's possible to be unsure. It is, and clearly should be, the umpire's call.

Can Tsitsipas shock Alcaraz today? I would say not. When the draw came out I thought that we would not see the projected Alcaraz-Djoko semi, but it's almost certainly going to happen now.

Would love to see Svitolina beat Sabalenka but reckon it's not going to happen.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 06 Jun 2023, 2:11 pm

Svitolina fought hard but was nearly always on the back foot against the huge hitting of Sabalenka who came thru in straight sets despite falling 2-0 down at the beginning of the second.

Sabalenka, though, will need to cut down on the UEs if she has to face Swiatek in the final.

Djoko v Khachanov about to start. Djoko in three or four sets, methinks. Reckon Alcaraz will also win in three or four tonight.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Jun 2023, 2:23 pm

Sabalenka is just many levels above Svitolina. Svitolina is the average player on the WTA tour that’s just never gonna be elite level.
Congratulations to Sabalenka and I hope she can do the Melbourne-Paris double.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 06 Jun 2023, 3:06 pm

Djoko saves two set points to force Khachanov to serve it out at 5-4 in the first set.

K then goes on to hold to take the first set 6-4. Will the Russian be able to keep it up?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 06 Jun 2023, 3:15 pm

K's service stats for that first set were excellent. Djoko, though, only won 39% of his second-service points which is not good enough. The UEs were uncomfortably high, too.

But we've seen Nole come back from worse positions than this and win comfortably. You only have to go back to the French final two years ago when he was two sets to love down and still came out on top.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 06 Jun 2023, 4:06 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Oh, Dimi. First, he spurned an opportunity to go a double break up in the second set, then completely went off the boil to present Zverev with a two sets to love lead.

I only saw a bit of the match, from early 2nd set, when Dimi had his short spell of dominance, to Zverev getting back ahead. It was really just about how Dimi played - when he was good he was unstoppable, but it literally lasted 15 minutes before he went completely off and handed the match to Zverev. Dimitrov - very talented but far too flaky.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 06 Jun 2023, 5:20 pm

Djoko, inevitably, has come roaring back and now leads two sets to one.

Really you have to win the first set against Djoko to have any chance. But even when you do, you still find it difficult.

I, for one, would love to see how Alcaraz would get on against Djokovic in a GS match and it now seems that prospect is getting even nearer.

Don't know why so many are keen to write off Djoko at various stages of Slams. Have they not followed the Nole action at previous Slam events? There is the indifferent form, talk of injuries, controversies, the lot. But invariably, it's the Serb who emerges with the title.

Assuming Alcaraz gets past Tsitsipas tonight, he'll be favourite against Djoko. But who would be brave enough to bet against Nole?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Tue 06 Jun 2023, 5:30 pm

I play a lot of tennis, Rune would absolutely have known it double bounced, even the way the ball responds off the racket after the bounce is noticeable. Agree its the umpires call but Rune showed his colours for me not calling it. It wasn't even marginal, it hit the ground, bounced up slightly and then he hit it. Blatant double bounce. Anyway umpires bad call.

Khachanov has played very well today

quote="sirfredperry"]Agree that Zverev looks a threat. The key for him is his serve. He can have his off days with it, but it's a big weapon if functioning well.

As for the double bounces: When you play you usually know if the ball is not up although sometimes it's possible to be unsure. It is, and clearly should be, the umpire's call.

Can Tsitsipas shock Alcaraz today? I would say not. When the draw came out I thought that we would not see the projected Alcaraz-Djoko semi, but it's almost certainly going to happen now.

Would love to see Svitolina beat Sabalenka but reckon it's not going to happen. [/quote]

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 06 Jun 2023, 6:09 pm

All over for Khachanov who, like so many others, has found you can play well, sometimes very well, and still lose to Djoko.

I've never been a big Djoko fan and I don't find his matches that entertaining. But you have to hand it to this guy. He is ROCK SOLID. It's as if he's saying: "You might get one set off me, you could even get two. But you're not going to get three."

This is a guy who came on to the scene when Rafa and Roger were at their peak, with Murray also providing stiff opposition. Yet here he is with a chance of winning more Slams than anyone else.

You reckon that even if he fails to make it here in Paris, he will be firm favourite at SW19 next month. Let's hope Tsitsipas doesn't spoil things tonight and we get a blockbuster Djoko-Alcaraz semi.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Tue 06 Jun 2023, 9:49 pm

Alcaraz vs Djokovic semi final. Just wish it was more prime djokovic playing him. While novak had a good win today he is only playing 6/10, 7 at a stretch this tournament. Unless he starts upping his level I can't see past a 3-4 set win for Alcaraz. The 3rd set today vs Khachanov was the only time I have seen Djokovic play close to his best level. He simply hasn't played enough tennis since Oz open win

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 06 Jun 2023, 9:59 pm

Really thought Tsitsipas would make more of a fight of it tonight, although at least he salvaged some pride by putting up some resistance at the death.

Slasher - I wouldn't write Djoko off yet, although Alcaraz is the clear favourite. Nole is so hard to beat over five sets.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Jun 2023, 10:08 pm

Tsitsipas might end up being one of those that missed the bus to get a major - choking the French open final 2 years ago.
He’s just not mentally tough enough and if he has to get through Alcaraz, that’s just a bad match up on any surface

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 07 Jun 2023, 9:36 am

Just been watching some highlights of the Alcaraz match from last night.

Alcaraz played some astonishing shots and seems to have completely mastered the drop shot. His speed around the court is incredible.

Possibly one way of countering his quickness is to wrong foot him. He's so fast that whacking the ball into the open court is not going to get the job done. Not only does he seem to reach these balls he hits amazing shots when he gets there.

Prediction for winners today? Haddad Maia, Swiatek, Zverev and Ruud.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 07 Jun 2023, 5:27 pm

Well two out of two for my predictions so far, with the tricky one - whether H Maia would overcome Jabeur - safely negotiated.

I thought Swiatek would have too much for Gauff who at least made it competitive in the first set. It's looking very much like a Swiatek-Sabalenka final. Sab is a huge hitter, but will need to be at her best to see off Iga.

Zverev has been made to work hard against Echeverry but has now taken a two sets to one lead. The Argentinian actually went a break up early in the third set but Z won five of the next six games.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jun 2023, 8:35 pm

Good to see Sascha back in the semis in Paris. After last years horrific injury it would be full circle if he could finally land that elusive major.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jun 2023, 8:39 pm

Maybe I did a disservice to Casper Ruud…
The Norwegian is two sets up again Rune
6-1 6-2 beating so far

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 07 Jun 2023, 9:06 pm

I am starting to get a sneaky feeling about Zverev. Alcaraz the big favourite but Zverev really going about his business in the lower half of the draw..admittedly a much weaker side of the draw but you can only beat what's in front of you. After his injury last year at French open, could he come back to win the title?

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 07 Jun 2023, 9:12 pm

Zverev has a tough path to glory. Next up, probably, will be last year's runner-up Ruud and then in the final he would face either Djoko or Alcaraz.

I really can't see him taking the title, although I agree it's good to see him going deep after that very nasty injury.

As I write Ruud looks likely to be taken, at least, to a 4th set by Rune.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jun 2023, 10:19 pm

Ruud wins 6-1 6-2 3-6 6-3
Should be a good match up against Sascha.

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 07 Jun 2023, 11:55 pm

I am starting to get a sneaky feeling about Zverev. Alcaraz the big favourite but Zverev really going about his business in the lower half of the draw..admittedly a much weaker side of the draw but you can only beat what's in front of you. After his injury last year at French open, could he come back to win the title?

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 07 Jun 2023, 11:57 pm

Good to see Rune sent packing. Ruud seems to have his number with a 5-1 head to head. Ruud seems to have regained his confidence after a tough few months

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Jun 2023, 12:00 am

slashermcguirk wrote:Good to see Rune sent packing. Ruud seems to have his number with a 5-1 head to head. Ruud seems to have regained his confidence after a tough few months
Can Sascha beat Ruud and Alcaraz/Djokovic back to back? Imo most definitely yes. After all Sascha is firstly a good clay counter.

Will he do it? I’ve learnt not to write Sascha off - 2021 WTF vs Medvedev, Sascha was underdog on Medvedev’s favoured surface. Sascha outclassed the Russian.

If he makes the final, Sascha would be a live dog. Of that there’s no doubts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 08 Jun 2023, 10:11 am

I don't bother with the French but articles like this are ridiculous;

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/65836835

The men play the majority of night matches for two reasons; a) they're more popular and b) there isn't a chance of a double bagel finishing a match in 50 minutes.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 08 Jun 2023, 12:18 pm

Jeff - Zverev might beat Ruud but, for me, there's absolutely no way he'd beat either Djoko or Alcaraz in the final.

Lot, of course, riding on the Nole-Carlos semi, not least the huge points swing for the victor, particularly if they go on to take the title.

It's rather reminiscent of US Open finals of 2000 and 2001 when the main man Sampras was well beaten by two up-and-coming young players in Safin and Hewitt. Although Pete managed a swan song US title the following year, the heavy 00 and 01 defeats signalled the end of his dominance.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 08 Jun 2023, 4:27 pm

Sabalenka has been close to defeat in her semi with Muchova but despite too many UEs she has taken the second set to level the match.

Muchova has played a terrific match but you wonder whether she'll be able to keep it up.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 08 Jun 2023, 5:30 pm

Complete meltdown from Sabalenka, who had an MP at 2-5 in the final set but a string of UEs/DFs left the door open for Muchova to take the last five games and the match.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 08 Jun 2023, 8:41 pm

Swiatek, not without difficulty, saw off Haddad Maia in straight sets. The Brazilian was 3-1 up in the second set and also led 5-3 in the subsequent tiebreak before finally going down.

The victory means Swiatek stays at number one. She'll be firm favourite for the final and should be the fresher of the two after Muchova's 3hr 13mins semi.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 09 Jun 2023, 7:17 am

To say that today's Djoko-Alcaraz match has been eagerly awaited is an understatement.

Yes, the Spaniard will start favourite but he faces the toughest task in tennis - getting three sets off Djoko at the business end of a GS. There have been some, including guys on this thread, who consider Djoko is past his best and will be no match for Alcaraz.

Now Carlos could play lights out tennis and blow Djoko away. He's certainly good enough to do so. But all along I've said it's too soon to write off Nole and I still feel he can win this match.

I think Zverev will come through against Ruud as long as the German's serve holds up. But whoever wins will, I reckon, be the runner-up come Sunday.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon2 Fri 09 Jun 2023, 8:48 am

Soul Requiem wrote:I don't bother with the French but articles like this are ridiculous;

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/65836835

The men play the majority of night matches for two reasons; a) they're more popular and b) there isn't a chance of a double bagel finishing a match in 50 minutes.

Agree, you can't just say more women's matches need the prime time night slot. They are a finite resource and they will need to be at someone else's expense.
You need to show me the woman's match that would be a bigger draw on that day and argue the case. The devil is in the detail, and it's interesting how the equality brigade never want to go there.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Iga smashing it tomorrow.

And go Novak!

the-goon2

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 09 Jun 2023, 9:00 am

by the-goon 2: Care to forecast a score for the Djoko semi today?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon2 Fri 09 Jun 2023, 9:51 am

sirfredperry wrote:by the-goon 2:  Care to forecast a score for the Djoko semi today?

Novak in 5. A 4+ hour classic for the ages.

the-goon2

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon2 Fri 09 Jun 2023, 9:52 am

And Iga gets it done in 2, under 2 hours.

the-goon2

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri 09 Jun 2023, 12:49 pm

So the most anticipated match for a long time is nearly upon us. My only hope is that both players bring their top game and that we get a really good 4 or 5 setter. I do hear you sirfredperry that a lot of us seem to be writing off Djokovic in this one. I really hope Novak does win but I just feel on current form he is nowhere near the player he once was and thats perfectly understandable of course, the guy is 36! There is such a huge age gap between him and Alcaraz and given that the temperature is hovering around 30 degrees in Paris this afternoon, that will make it even more difficult.

I would agree though that you can never write off Djokovic. If he can get his teeth into the match and say we move into set three at one set all, it really could be anyones game. A big challenge for Djokovic in more recent years is he tends to be a slow starter in these matches. A good few times playing Nadal at the French, he lost the 1st set heavily and while he came back to win in one of those and made the others very competitive too, including last year which went to 4th set tiebreak, I just think he needs to settle quicker into this one.

Based on how Djokovic starts these matches in recent years, I definitely see Alcaraz taking the opening set because he tends to start faster, it could well be a case of how Djokovic responds if he goes a set down. The great thing for him as opposed to the likes of Tsitisipas is that Djokovic tends to be much tougher mentally and is less inclined to panic. He should hopefully get a purple patch at some point, but hopefully for his sake that doesnt come from two sets down. I would love to see Djokovic take the opening set to really make it interesting.

While I hope for a Djokovic win, I just really want to see a super competitive match.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 09 Jun 2023, 12:53 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:So the most anticipated match for a long time is nearly upon us. My only hope is that both players bring their top game and that we get a really good 4 or 5 setter. I do hear you sirfredperry that a lot of us seem to be writing off Djokovic in this one. I really hope Novak does win but I just feel on current form he is nowhere near the player he once was and thats perfectly understandable of course, the guy is 36! There is such a huge age gap between him and Alcaraz and given that the temperature is hovering around 30 degrees in Paris this afternoon, that will make it even more difficult.

I would agree though that you can never write off Djokovic. If he can get his teeth into the match and say we move into set three at one set all, it really could be anyones game. A big challenge for Djokovic in more recent years is he tends to be a slow starter in these matches. A good few times playing Nadal at the French, he lost the 1st set heavily and while he came back to win in one of those and made the others very competitive too, including last year which went to 4th set tiebreak, I just think he needs to settle quicker into this one.

Based on how Djokovic starts these matches in recent years, I definitely see Alcaraz taking the opening set because he tends to start faster, it could well be a case of how Djokovic responds if he goes a set down. The great thing for him as opposed to the likes of Tsitisipas is that Djokovic tends to be much tougher mentally and is less inclined to panic. He should hopefully get a purple patch at some point, but hopefully for his sake that doesnt come from two sets down. I would love to see Djokovic take the opening set to really make it interesting.

While I hope for a Djokovic win, I just really want to see a super competitive match.

Probably with a lengthy treatment break.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri 09 Jun 2023, 1:09 pm

Or maybe just because he is one of the greatest players that has ever lived. All players have taken comfort breaks, injury timeouts during matches. Hardly a new thing in tennis. Coming from someone who plays a lot, singles tennis is an incredibly physically demanding sport. How anyone can play at that level approaching the age of 40 is simply phenomenal. I just wish prime Djokovic was playing Alcaraz today.

superflyweight wrote:
slashermcguirk wrote:So the most anticipated match for a long time is nearly upon us. My only hope is that both players bring their top game and that we get a really good 4 or 5 setter. I do hear you sirfredperry that a lot of us seem to be writing off Djokovic in this one. I really hope Novak does win but I just feel on current form he is nowhere near the player he once was and thats perfectly understandable of course, the guy is 36! There is such a huge age gap between him and Alcaraz and given that the temperature is hovering around 30 degrees in Paris this afternoon, that will make it even more difficult.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 09 Jun 2023, 3:03 pm

Very strong start to the match carries Djoko to a 6-3 first set. Alcaraz too many UEs but he did force BPs without being able to get it back on serve.

You felt Carlos needed to take the first set. Djoko is such a strong front runner.

sirfredperry

the-goon2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 09 Jun 2023, 3:16 pm

superflyweight wrote:

It's his tried and tested method; cry about being injured before matches too.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 09 Jun 2023, 4:02 pm

Chance spurned by Alcaraz. He served for the second set at 5-3 but was broken and we're back on serve.

Match has its moments but still too many UEs from Alcaraz.

Djoko then saved three set points and levels it at 5-5. You can see Nole taking this set after being 3-5 down.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 09 Jun 2023, 4:12 pm

Alcaraz, with some difficulty, holds for 6-5. Not quite a classic, at least not yet, but still good standard.

Both players prepared to come into the net, lots of drop shots, some moon balls...it's not just been baseline bashing.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 09 Jun 2023, 4:16 pm

Alcaraz gets to three SPs on the Novak serve again and this time achieves the break to level the match at one set all.

This, now, is going to be a longy. You feel Alcaraz can play better and now fatigue and fitness could come into it.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri 09 Jun 2023, 4:20 pm

Got to hand it to Djokovic, at the age of 36 to be able to put it to Alcaraz in this form in 30 degree heat, its quite extraordinary. He is making him work really hard for this!

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 09 Jun 2023, 4:38 pm

Alcaraz has to forfeit a game in order to have treatment. So Djoko goes a break up at 2-1 in the third set. It's made the atmosphere a bit flat.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 09 Jun 2023, 4:45 pm

Alcaraz in real physical trouble now. You feel he may well have to retire. A great shame.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 09 Jun 2023, 4:47 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:Got to hand it to Djokovic, at the age of 36 to be able to put it to Alcaraz in this form in 30 degree heat, its quite extraordinary. He is making him work really hard for this!

Extraordinary by olden day standards but not in the modern age with all the science (fitness, nutrition etc) available to prolong careers (assuming you have the money to access it all).

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 09 Jun 2023, 4:51 pm

Alcaraz carries on for now but quickly loses the third set 6-1.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri 09 Jun 2023, 4:59 pm

It still takes huge talent and resilience to play this way at 36. Regardless of nutrition and conditioning, the mileage in those legs are off the charts. Lets see in 16 years how the likes of Alcaraz, Sinner and Rune are playing and their ranking. Time will tell. Feel really bad for Alcaraz here as it was such an even match but you could argue its the punishment that Djokovic has brought today that has contributed to the cramp. Alcaraz has destroyed his other opponents but the massive increase in intensity today and being pulled to deuce in nearly every game has clearly taken its toll. You never want to see injuries though

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 09 Jun 2023, 5:05 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:It still takes huge talent and resilience to play this way at 36. Regardless of nutrition and conditioning, the mileage in those legs are off the charts. Lets see in 16 years how the likes of Alcaraz, Sinner and Rune are playing and their ranking. Time will tell. Feel really bad for Alcaraz here as it was such an even match but you could argue its the punishment that Djokovic has brought today that has contributed to the cramp. Alcaraz has destroyed his other opponents but  the massive increase in intensity today and being pulled to deuce in nearly every game has clearly taken its toll. You never want to see injuries though

I'm not denying the talent and resilience, but it's nowhere near as extraordinary as it would have been 20, or even 10 years, ago. Talent and resilience aren't enough - it takes a whole lot of science as well.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next