The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Curious Case of Rory McIlroy ..

+2
super_realist
Shotrock
6 posters

Go down

The Curious Case of Rory McIlroy .. Empty The Curious Case of Rory McIlroy ..

Post by Shotrock Mon 05 Jun 2023, 1:48 am

I watched the final round of the Memorial Tournament Today. Good for Hovland, a world-class talent.

During the broadcast, Jack Nicklaus (who can be boorish at times) thought that one of Rory's problems with his game is that he literally swings too hard. Perhaps a fair assessment, but he doesn't just swing hard on the last day of a tournament, he swings hard at all times.

I sure would like to see Rory win more ... go on a Rahm or Tiger type run even. There is really no weakness in his game (physical game at least). I'm truly perplexed why he does not close the deal on more events.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

The Curious Case of Rory McIlroy .. Empty Re: The Curious Case of Rory McIlroy ..

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Jun 2023, 5:42 am

3 round Rory.
Rory should be the best player on a planet by a mile. Don't know if he makes poor decisions or if he isn't just as skilled as we think but it's odd that he can be so good and so ordinary in the same tournament.
It must be hard to focus when you've got 250m in the bank.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

The Curious Case of Rory McIlroy .. Empty Re: The Curious Case of Rory McIlroy ..

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 05 Jun 2023, 8:08 am

Shotrock wrote:
I watched the final round of the Memorial Tournament Today. Good for Hovland, a world-class talent.

During the broadcast, Jack Nicklaus (who can be boorish at times) thought that one of Rory's problems with his game is that he literally swings too hard. Perhaps a fair assessment, but he doesn't just swing hard on the last day of a tournament, he swings hard at all times.

I sure would like to see Rory win more ... go on a Rahm or Tiger type run even. There is really no weakness in his game (physical game at least). I'm truly perplexed why he does not close the deal on more events.
Not so sure about this. For someone hitting so many short irons into greens due to his long game, his wedge game is pretty poor. Not sure his putting does him many favours either, although suspect that's more about the 6" between his ears.

Think S_R probably right re. motivation as well and not sure about his off course duties he's taking/taken on either i.e. player ctte. stuff, LIV comments etc.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 05 Jun 2023, 9:09 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Shotrock wrote:

Not so sure about this. For someone hitting so many short irons into greens due to his long game, his wedge game is pretty poor. Not sure his putting does him many favours either, although suspect that's more about the 6" between his ears.

Think S_R probably right re. motivation as well and not sure about his off course duties he's taking/taken on either i.e. player ctte. stuff, LIV comments etc.

I wouldn’t say “No weakness” I’d say he’s got all the tools in abundance just not necessarily the best at applying the right ones at the right time often enough, frustratingly nearly, but not quite. Taking another example for comparison purposes, look at Jordan Smith (some will say who??) but he is number one on GIRs this season and was top 3 last season yet he’s not in the top 50 in RTD this season. The stats are screaming “improve your putting” that one is pretty obvious and clear cut, with McIlroy it’s not quite as clear cut (although his putting does need to improve statistically if he wants to be No 1

JAS

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Jun 2023, 9:42 am

Rev Gordon Spieth also saw a similar decline in his game. Be interesting to see if Scheffler goes the same way now that he is surely wealthier than Croecus.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Mon 05 Jun 2023, 12:12 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Shotrock wrote:

Agree with this, for a top pro his wedge game is dreadful.

ralphjohn69

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 19 Jun 2023, 11:52 am

Just don't think the short game, especially putting, comes naturally enough to McIlroy for him to go low when the pressure is on. He basically hit all the greens in the final round of a US Open yesterday and in some ways it still looked like a struggle. Wyndam was often in positions that would have ended Rory's day but just got up an down with less stress than McIlroy trying to get it in the hole from the middle of the green.
McLaren
McLaren

LadyPutt and Shotrock like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Jun 2023, 9:11 pm

3 round Rory.
Shame on him being beaten by an American with a truly preposterous name .

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down