The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to become the BEST scrumhalf in the world!

2 posters

Go down

How to become the BEST scrumhalf in the world! Empty How to become the BEST scrumhalf in the world!

Post by SJCRugby Tue 06 Jun 2023, 11:18 pm

Hi all,

Hope you're all doing well!:lol:

Yesterday I fell across this video and got me thinking about the role of a scrumhalf and what makes those that are good at it the "best". I recommend watching the video, it's really well-edited and quite funny so I'll link it in this thread!

I think the video's point about cheat lines is really good. A scrumhalf that can get the ball in their hands, more than just passing, will be extremely effective!

What are your thoughts?

Who do you think is the best scrumhalf in the world and why are they so good?

Thanks!

SJCRugby

Back to top Go down

How to become the BEST scrumhalf in the world! Empty Re: How to become the BEST scrumhalf in the world!

Post by sensisball Thu 13 Jul 2023, 7:04 pm

Erm.... I'm going to with Dupont. He is/ was the best player in the world so he is / was the best scrum half in the world.
Think Van Der Flier is currently the best player in the world and he's a 7, so not a better scrum half than Dupont.
What makes him the best?
Excellent at all the requirements of a 9: superb pass off both hands, superb box kick off both feet.
In addition he can kick extremely well for distance
He is a tenacious defender with exceptional power when attacking round the fringe.
Final icing is ability to run those cheat lines with the pace and power to finish off moves with try after try after try
Temperament is also superb. Doesn't lose his cool or get agitated if he makes an error, just gets on with the next play.
It's like having the attacking flair of Matt Dawson combined with the defensive prowess of Gary Armstrong with the kicking ability and tactical brain of Ruan Pienaar, all rolled into 1 man.

sensisball

Back to top Go down