The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v Italy Landsdowne Road 8pm Saturday

+6
RiscaGame
Oakdene
Maine man
sensisball
formerly known as Sam
Collapse2005
10 posters

Go down

Ireland v Italy Landsdowne Road 8pm Saturday Empty Ireland v Italy Landsdowne Road 8pm Saturday

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 03 Aug 2023, 2:06 pm

Ireland Team:

Ireland (Province/Club/Caps):
15. Jimmy O’Brien (Leinster/Naas)(5)
14. Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster)(98)
13. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers)(63)
12. Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor (12)
11. Jacob Stockdale (Ulster/Lurgan)(35)
10. Jack Crowley (Munster/Cork Constitution)(3)
9. Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon)(10)

1. David Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemian) (51)
2. Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) (34)
3. Tom O’Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) (9)
4: Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy)(72)(Captain)
5. Joe McCarthy (Leinster/Dublin University)(1)
6. Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University)(11)
7. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St. Mary’s College)(28)
8. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere)(38)

Replacements:

16. Tom Stewart (Ulster/Ballynahinch)*
17. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) (123)
18. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) (65)
19. Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) (38)
20. Cian Prendergast (Connacht/UCD) (1)
21. Caolin Blade (Connacht/Galwegians) (1)
22. Ciaran Frawley (Leinster/UCD)*
23. Calvin Nash (Munster/Young Munster)*

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Italy Landsdowne Road 8pm Saturday Empty Re: Ireland v Italy Landsdowne Road 8pm Saturday

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 03 Aug 2023, 2:08 pm

Apparently the Ireland team will have their names printed on the back of their jerseys, a bit weird.

Like the look of the team. Would love a big game from Stockdale and maybe Crowley too.

No Sexton in the match day squad, not sure whats that about. Very Happy

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Italy Landsdowne Road 8pm Saturday Empty Re: Ireland v Italy Landsdowne Road 8pm Saturday

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 03 Aug 2023, 2:20 pm

Keith Earls? Have Ireland really not developed wingers to overtake him yet. At the last world cup I remember there being talk about how he'd lost his top end speed.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Thu 03 Aug 2023, 2:22 pm

Pretty amazing progress by young Joe McCarthy to make this squad.
Does he have a chance of making the final 33, or has this come a season too early?

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Thu 03 Aug 2023, 2:30 pm

sensisball wrote:Pretty amazing progress by young Joe McCarthy to make this squad.
Does he have a chance of making the final 33, or has this come a season too early?

Might be a tournament too soon for him. Ryan, Beirne, Henderson are certs in my opinion and i think they'll go with Baird who can cover 6 and Treadwell.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 03 Aug 2023, 2:35 pm

Id be very surprised if Baird didnt make it

Collapse2005

Maine man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Thu 03 Aug 2023, 2:46 pm

Baird is a certainty I think. His versatility is key.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu 03 Aug 2023, 3:05 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Apparently the Ireland team will have their names printed on the back of their jerseys, a bit weird.

Like the look of the team. Would love a big game from Stockdale and maybe Crowley too.

Wales are too I think. (Am sure I read that somewhere!)

Oakdene

Collapse2005 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 03 Aug 2023, 3:07 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Keith Earls? Have Ireland really not developed wingers to overtake him yet. At the last world cup I remember there being talk about how he'd lost his top end speed.

Calvin Nash is good, not sure why Rob Baloucoune hasnt broken though, then there is Stockdale who needs a big game, Larmour and Jimmy OBrien though he might be seen as a fullback not sure. Looks like it will be Lowe, Hanson and one other.

Collapse2005

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 03 Aug 2023, 3:33 pm

Oakdene wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:Apparently the Ireland team will have their names printed on the back of their jerseys, a bit weird.

Wales are too I think. (Am sure I read that somewhere!)

We sure are. Ours looks horrendous as we have our sponsor Go Compare where the player's name usually would be and the name below the number. Ireland's looks much better in that sense.

Hopefully watch this, dependent on which Cardiff pubs have Prime. Wonder how Italy will line up. Interesting Ireland selection anyway.

RiscaGame

Oakdene likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 03 Aug 2023, 3:37 pm

Ah right, here it is. Nine changes from last week. Taken from the Beeb.

Italy: Allan; Odogwu, Brez, Menoncello, Ioane; Garbisi, Varney; Fischetti, Nicotera, Riccioni; Lamb, Ruzza (capt); Negri, Zuliani, Halafihi.

Replacements: Bigi, Buonfiglio, Ferrari, Cannone, Lamaro, Cannone, Fusco, Pani.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 03 Aug 2023, 3:43 pm

Ioane, thats a surprise! I thought he had effectively forfeited his Italy chances when he returned to Oz. Didnt realise he was back in Europe.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 03 Aug 2023, 9:45 pm

Dino Lamb gets a first cap for Italy - well deserved for his Quins form, but Dublin away is a heck of a place to start your International career
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 03 Aug 2023, 9:57 pm

Poorfour wrote:Dino Lamb gets a first cap for Italy - well deserved for his Quins form, but Dublin away is a heck of a place to start your International career

Odogwu is also English I think

Apparently Ireland found it hard to secure warm up games. Ireland and England has a reciprocal deal to play eachother before every world cup so that was aparently locked in but no one else wanted to play them initially. Wales refused for example.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 04 Aug 2023, 12:28 am

Is this game at Landsdowne Road or Lansdowne Road?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 04 Aug 2023, 6:45 am

Collapse2005 wrote:
Poorfour wrote:Dino Lamb gets a first cap for Italy - well deserved for his Quins form, but Dublin away is a heck of a place to start your International career

Apparently Ireland found it hard to secure warm up games. Ireland and England has a reciprocal deal to play eachother before every world cup so that was aparently locked in but no one else wanted to play them initially. Wales refused for example.

Yes, Odogwu is (until Saturday) an EQP, born in Coventry and was in and around Eddie’s squads a bit didn’t get a cap. His first name is Paolo, though, which is a bit of a clue to dual qualification, and Dino was originally billed as Dino Lamb-Cona.

I can imagine that not many teams will have wanted to play Ireland in their current form - but equally it’s a very decent test of where you are in the run up to the tournament. This Italian team looks a bit experimental, but I’d expect England to play something close to the XXIII that will take the field against Argentina before putting them back under wraps against Fiji.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 04 Aug 2023, 7:19 am

Experimental or not its a good match to have because they will be a decent test for at least part of the game if not all of it.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 04 Aug 2023, 11:09 am

Poorfour wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

Yes, Odogwu is (until Saturday) an EQP, born in Coventry and was in and around Eddie’s squads a bit didn’t get a cap. His first name is Paolo, though, which is a bit of a clue to dual qualification, and Dino was originally billed as Dino Lamb-Cona.

I can imagine that not many teams will have wanted to play Ireland in their current form - but equally it’s a very decent test of where you are in the run up to the tournament. This Italian team looks a bit experimental, but I’d expect England to play something close to the XXIII that will take the field against Argentina before putting them back under wraps against Fiji.

Dino Luciano Lamb-Cona. Varney is Welsh born and grew up in Wales and then England. David Sisi who played lock last time out was raised in England (born in Germany). Italy have been good at identifying those with Italian ancestry.

But odd Ireland have found it tough to arrange friendlies unless they were unwilling to travel. Having the top ranked nation coming to play should be a good draw for the organisers and a good on field test. The home/away arrangements between nations tends to work well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 04 Aug 2023, 12:06 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:

Is that documented anywhere?

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 04 Aug 2023, 1:41 pm

Oakdene wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

It was mentioned by a journalist on the latest left wing pod cast.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 04 Aug 2023, 2:05 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Oakdene wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

It was mentioned by a journalist on the latest left wing pod cast.

Thanks...

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 05 Aug 2023, 9:25 pm

This is as fit and healthy I have seen Henderson in a few yeras

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Sun 06 Aug 2023, 8:51 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Keith Earls? Have Ireland really not developed wingers to overtake him yet. At the last world cup I remember there being talk about how he'd lost his top end speed.

In fairness, he is still one of Irelands best finishers. That said, he is well down the pecking order come the RWC and I would only expect him to feature if there were a raft of injuries.

Ireland actually do have a rather good strength in depth Winger wise.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 06 Aug 2023, 8:56 am

I think Earls might get selected, he is an al rounder, still fast and has bags of experience. He was a key member of the series win in NZ.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Sun 06 Aug 2023, 9:05 am

Earls selection is 50/50 for me. As said, he is way down the pecking order for wingers but agree that his all-round capabilities may prove vital come the RWC so would be a valuable squad member.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Sun 06 Aug 2023, 9:44 am

Maine man wrote:
sensisball wrote:Pretty amazing progress by young Joe McCarthy to make this squad.

Might be a tournament too soon for him. Ryan, Beirne, Henderson are certs in my opinion and i think they'll go with Baird who can cover 6 and Treadwell.  

I've changed my mind after McCarthy's performance yesterday. He's in, Treadwell is out.

Maine man

sensisball likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down