The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ray Charles-Europe RnB Mix : Georgia; It' The Final Countdown

+11
bsando
TJ
NeilyBroon
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
TAFKA The Oracle
RDW
BigGee
Tramptastic
Oakdene
jimbopip
15 posters

Go down

The Ray Charles-Europe RnB Mix : Georgia; It' The Final Countdown Empty The Ray Charles-Europe RnB Mix : Georgia; It' The Final Countdown

Post by jimbopip Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:58 pm

Yahoo  I beat Tramptastic to it Yahoo

Team's oot!
Scotland: Ollie Smith, Darcy Graham, Huw Jones, Sione Tuipulotu, Duhan van der Merwe, Finn Russell, Ben White; Jamie Bhatti, Dave Cherry, WP Nel, Sam Skinner, Grant Gilchrist, Jamie Ritchie (capt), Rory Darge, Jack Dempsey.

Replacements: Ewan Ashman, Rory Sutherland, Javan Sebastian, Scott Cummings, Matt Fagerson, George Horne, Ben Healy, Chris Harris.

No real sign of a second string here.  Wink

Immediate impressions....

A 5:3 split
White and Hornito getting to go head to head.
No Turner.
Shooey, Gray rested.
First choice back row.
Harris gets a shot from the bench.

A very strong side, with a few key forwards rested. That should keep the competition in the squad keen.

While I'm waiting for more measured responses...can I just say that the Boks and the Blackness battering each other at Twickers on Friday is absolutely bonkers.

Last edited by jimbopip on Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

The Ray Charles-Europe RnB Mix : Georgia; It' The Final Countdown Empty Re: The Ray Charles-Europe RnB Mix : Georgia; It' The Final Countdown

Post by Oakdene Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:03 pm

How has Javan gone on in a Scottish shirt this summer? Haven't had a chance to catch much of your games.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

The Ray Charles-Europe RnB Mix : Georgia; It' The Final Countdown Empty Re: The Ray Charles-Europe RnB Mix : Georgia; It' The Final Countdown

Post by Tramptastic Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:35 pm

Ahhhh Jimbo my contact has gone dark this week! No idea whats happened!

As you say, almost full strength, Toonie clearly keen on giving key units more time together - pray Huwipulotu remain uninjured!

Still not sure if thats our first choice BR for South Africa - for most teams yes but i fancy Fagerson in at 6 with ritchie over to 7 for south africa. However, having Darge starting and being that bit quicker to the breakdown may be key to nullifying Kolisi/Marx et al

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:42 pm

Oakdene wrote:How has Javan gone on in a Scottish shirt this summer? Haven't had a chance to catch much of your games.

I think we have all been pleasantly surprised at how well he has done, he has scrummed well enough and certainly did not look out of place against a pretty much first string French team in our second game against them. He also looks to have gotten pretty fit and was getting around the park, which is a given requirement in any Toonie team.

He should get a decent 30 mins against Georgia this weekend, who are no mugs at scrum time, so hopefully he continues to progress.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Oakdene likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:47 pm

BigGee wrote:
Oakdene wrote:How has Javan gone on in a Scottish shirt this summer? Haven't had a chance to catch much of your games.

I think we have all been pleasantly surprised at how well he has done, he has scrummed well enough and certainly did not look out of place against a pretty much first string French team in our second game against them. He also looks to have gotten pretty fit and was getting around the park, which is a given requirement in any Toonie team.

He should get a decent 30 mins against Georgia this weekend, who are no mugs at scrum time, so hopefully he continues to progress.

Thanks, he came from nowhere really for us down at Parc Y Scarlets & he certainly didn't look like a professional rugby player at first but he was always strong in the scrum.

He worked on his fitness & started to become a good carrier for us.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:25 pm

Oakdene, Javan signed for Glasgow a while back but never really looked like troubling the match day 23. He then moved to the Scaaalets. In retrospect that was fantastic work from Toonie. Spot the potential, sign him, recognise he needs lots of game time but isn't good enough,yet, to play for Glasgow, send him back to the valleys BUT keep him on a short leash until he's ready.
At the time we all thought Glasgow had signed a dud and Toonie was just being Toonie.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:31 pm

So Smith gets his shot. I still think Kinghorn is the better option at 15, but he would also be an ideal bench choice so if Smith puts in a screamer I don't mind him getting the shirt.

Tramp the mystery over who your mole is gets a new piece of information for us to ponder! Who could have been absent from this week's training to not hear the teamsheet...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:24 am

Flounder, I think 9-14 will all start against the Boks. Smith is probably there to get a little more experience as the second back replacement spot will likely be between him and Seaman. I can't see the bench being anything other than a 6/2 split so it makes sense that Smith gets some time playing in that back line.

In the pack;

back row the four on Saturday should be in the 23 for the Boks.
fat boys Shooey-Turner-Ragnar will most likely start against the Boks and the two sets who are named for Saturday are probably auditioning for the bench places. Not much between either set this weekend.
big boys it'll be Richie and... for the Boks. I think The Principal will miss out and GG starts with Cummings to bench.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:45 am

Kinghorn had a slight injury after the French game and did not train last week.

Sounds like they are not taking any chances on him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:12 pm

jimbopip wrote:Oakdene, Javan signed for Glasgow a while back but never really looked like troubling the match day 23. He then moved to the Scaaalets.  In retrospect that was fantastic work from Toonie. Spot the potential, sign him, recognise he needs lots of game time but isn't good enough,yet, to play for Glasgow, send him back to the valleys BUT keep him on a short leash until he's ready.
At the time we all thought Glasgow had signed a dud and Toonie was just being Toonie.

Llanelli is coastal!

Good to hear he's doing well. One that got away. I find it quite sad the number of players who don't seem great for Welsh clubs (at first) but seem to do really well elsewhere Sad

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:04 pm

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Oakdene, Javan signed for Glasgow a while back but never really looked like troubling the match day 23. He then moved to the Scaaalets.  In retrospect that was fantastic work from Toonie. Spot the potential, sign him, recognise he needs lots of game time but isn't good enough,yet, to play for Glasgow, send him back to the valleys BUT keep him on a short leash until he's ready.

Llanelli is coastal!

Good to hear he's doing well.  One that got away.  I find it quite sad the number of players who don't seem great for Welsh clubs (at first) but seem to do really well elsewhere Sad

To be fair he wasn't in great shape fitness wise when he first trotted out for us but he got fitter, worked hard & stayed largely free on injuries.

Oakdene

TAFKA The Oracle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:51 pm

Incidentally, I don't remember seeing a Smith performance where I was blown away, so I'm hoping that it comes this weekend. Isn't there a concern that we want him to better than he is?

A bit like hoping Jim will never be confounded by the quotes function again. Genuinely aspirational, but we all recognise the lack of realism which underpins the desire.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

funnyExiledScot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:55 pm

He did an article in Scottish media recently saying when he came back from Scotland first time, he thought he was done with rugby. He ended up doing 12 hour shifts in a meat packing plant and completely hated it, a miserable experience

It refocused him and made him give rugby another crack.

Someone wbo appreciates being a professional sportsman!

Jamie Bhatti, one of our other props has a similar tale, he used to work in an abbotoir!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:49 pm

George Carlin wrote:Incidentally, I don't remember seeing a Smith performance where I was blown away, so I'm hoping that it comes this weekend. Isn't there a concern that we want him to better than he is?

A bit like hoping Jim will never be confounded by the quotes function again. Genuinely aspirational, but we all recognise the lack of realism which underpins the desire.

I think he was very good whilst in the U20s. Then everyone seemed surprised when McLean got selected ahead of him for a senior rugby contract (we all know how that horribleness ended up) but in terms of rugby McLean may have been more talented. I still think theres time for Smith and if he ends up being a safe option at 15 (see cover tackle on Villiere) thats no bad thing to have

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:52 pm

George Carlin wrote:Incidentally, I don't remember seeing a Smith performance where I was blown away, so I'm hoping that it comes this weekend. Isn't there a concern that we want him to better than he is?

This. 

And TBF he really should have a good game against Georgia as we really should win with a bit to spare. Whether that makes in a true international clas fullback time will tell!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:01 pm

I think you are all being a bit harsh on young Ollie.

I think he has been pretty solid so far in his Scotland caps. He scored a very good try against NZ last autumn and played well in both his recent starts agsingst Italy and made a match saving tackle against France.

He may not be bursting into the role like Hoggy did, but that is not a fair comparison. Let him grow into the role and he will continue to improve with the experience.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

NeilyBroon and TJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:40 pm

Smith is solid, but little more. He's a strong lad and hard to stop at full tilt, plus he's a brave tackler, but he's a 6.5-7/10 player at best. Fine for cover, but Kinghorn has a much higher ceiling.

funnyExiledScot

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:53 pm

With Gee on this.

Think of the young players who took time to come good. I remember Bennett's debut and his impact was dropping the ball and generally underwhelming. Tuipolotu was solid but unspectacular prior to joining Huw at international level. Steyn looked very average until recently. George Horne looked out of depth against the big sides but played very well coming on against France a couple of weeks ago.

Give him a chance, I expect he will be a special player, he really looked another level at u20s, but it's hard when you come in with so many senior international players peaking around the globe!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:51 pm

I am sure I have seen good outings from Ollie Smith. Looks a very good player to me.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:56 am

NeilyBroon wrote:With Gee on this.

Think of the young players who took time to come good. I remember Bennett's debut and his impact was dropping the ball and generally underwhelming. Tuipolotu was solid but unspectacular prior to joining Huw at international level. Steyn looked very average until recently. George Horne looked out of depth against the big sides but played very well coming on against France a couple of weeks ago.

Give him a chance, I expect he will be a special player, he really looked another level at u20s, but it's hard when you come in with so many senior international players peaking around the globe!
Oh stop it Neilly. I can't launch into sweeping generalisations when confronted with annoying common sense like that.

Sheesh man. Think of your elders.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:03 am

I think we're all on the same page here - he's no young Hoggy but very few people are. He may become a top class 15 but I just don't think he's there yet, and with the WC being 2 weeks away IMO Kinghorn is the first choice 15.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:30 am

RDW wrote:I think we're all on the same page here - he's no young Hoggy but very few people are. He may become a top class 15 but I just don't think he's there yet, and with the WC being 2 weeks away IMO Kinghorn is the first choice 15.

More importantly in Toonie's opinion as well, especially given his ability to also cover FH which makes a 6:2 split a realistic option should we want to go there.

I don't think Smith will let us down if we need him though and it will be good to see him start this weekend.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

RDW likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:01 pm

I see Darcy gas pulled out of tomorrow game with a quad injury. Hopefully it is just a precaution

The Steyn of Destiny takes his place

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:20 pm

[i]Actually GC, young Smith outshone Titman in the under 20's but endured a torrid start to his Glasgow career.  Being replacedwhen a front row was carded, being carded himself, getting injured all in rapid succession.  Many youngsterswouldhave been rattled. Fes says he's big and fast and difficult to stop...As with his inability to grasp the intricacies of a caring welfare state, Smith is fast but is a very evasive runner. He has a step and a swerve and almost always beats the first defender.  He looks like he could be special. If he had played for Ayr he would be world class already./i]

A bit like hoping Jim will never confound the quotes function again. Genuinely inspirational in everything he does from Etruscan reiki to his unpaid work as an international peacekeeper we all recognise the lack of dogmatism which underpins his desire to raiset he rest of us to his standards.

jimbopip

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:08 pm

jeez it took me while to find this thread Jimbo! (where the heck is everyone??)

Hope we get a good crowd at murrayfield tomorrow to help send off the team. Might be the last game playing there for some of these players.

No injuries please!

Also, Rugbypass have an app now that has a lot of good videos on it. Portugal's journey to the RWC is a good watch, I'm excited to see the play. Their captain is a Dentist

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:12 pm

The Painless Portugese?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:20 pm

When SA play at home 3 Zulu Warriors usually come out on the pitch before them. Lots of roaring and speer thrusting ensues.

The lead warrior is an absolute unit who would scare you even without his speer. Apparently he is also a dentist in real life, he looks like he could pull teeth out with his fingers!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:37 pm

New Zealand's discipline is woeful. They were lucky to only get the three cards in the first half. France will be looking forward to that opening game at this rate.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:59 pm

jimbopip wrote:
[i]Actually GC, young Smith outshone Titman in the under 20's but endured a torrid start to his Glasgow career.  Being replacedwhen a front row was carded, being carded himself, getting injured all in rapid succession.  Many youngsterswouldhave been rattled. Fes says he's big and fast and difficult to stop...As with his inability to grasp the intricacies of a caring welfare state, Smith is fast but is a very evasive runner. He has a step and a swerve and almost always beats the first defender.  He looks like he could be special. If he had played for Ayr he would be world class already./i]

A bit like hoping Jim will never confound the quotes function again. Genuinely inspirational in everything he does from Etruscan reiki to his unpaid work as an international peacekeeper we all recognise the lack of dogmatism which underpins his desire to raiset he rest of us to his standards.

Whatever this was, I approve clap

TheMildlyFranticLlama

RDW, bsando and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:09 am

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

Whatever this was, I approve clap
For it, it's the spelling mistake in a last line about 'raising standards' which makes this comedy platinum.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:13 am

Hug You guys thumbsup

Anyhoo, Toonie will have had the mother of all sleepless nights last night.

"Seven one split on the bench!!! Four scrum halves in the squad!!!! It's chassis utter chassis."

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:56 pm

Georgia, eh?  You have got to dig deeper than Ray Charles.  That's a gimmee, like a two foot putt in golf - even I can sink that once I get past the windmill.  

Try this, although a bit obscure these days, especially here in His Majesty's Blessed Realm...
https://youtu.be/PvpsquT3eOQ

doctor_grey

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:36 pm

Jimbo missed the boat the day he led the pack.
But that was all he missed: he ain't in the backs.

jimbopip

doctor_grey and George Carlin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:38 pm

On a rugby note: I'd select Ollie Smith over Freddie Steward every time.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:22 pm

jimbopip wrote:On a rugby note: I'd select Ollie Smith over Freddie Steward every time.
Why spoil the day and bring up Rugby (even more so from an England stand point)?

doctor_grey

jimbopip and TJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:11 pm

Scotland are making Georgia look like Fiji.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:17 pm

Why are we playing like we did when Toonie just got the Scotland job? Georgian defence has been very good, this is a great test but I hope we don’t play like this against the Boks.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:32 pm

Tom English put the boot in already on the BBC live feed, saying that it looks like nobody wants to be out there and they're giving every impression of a group of men trying to pass the time without getting injured.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:46 pm

How utterly Finn Russell is Finn Russell when he gets a bag of sweeties when he comes off if he’s played well laughing
tigertattie
tigertattie

George Carlin, bsando and TJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:02 pm

Have Scotland been trying out tactics to use against SA? Playing at speed, trying to move 'em around the park to tire them out and avoiding the big men in the middle?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:14 pm

Dempsey should have got MoM definitely the most consistent performer for 80 mins

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:25 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:Dempsey should have got MoM definitely the most consistent performer for 80 mins

Duhan was Immense again though. Carries, meters made, defenders beaten. Obscene numbers
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:29 pm

Job done! That was a good, physical test match

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:32 pm

tigertattie wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:Dempsey should have got MoM definitely the most consistent performer for 80 mins

Duhan was Immense again though. Carries, meters made, defenders beaten. Obscene numbers

Ah but I think it was more the forwards that got us back on to the front foot. Not saying duhan had a bad game I just think Dempsey showed up when everyone else was trying to just fling it everywhere!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:58 am

Again I just watched highlights of the first half then the full second half, so didn't get a full sense of how bad the first was, but that was a decent performance in the end.

Scotland had several gears to go up and they very much did so in the second half, and Georgia had no answer. There's certainly still a large gulf between the teams.

In terms of individuals I agree that Dempsey was outstanding. He's putting in top performances but also seems to be a leader in the pack and holds players to account on the pitch. There's no doubt he's our starting 8.

Healy also brought a different dimension to the team when he came on with his kicking game and his siege gun boot. He may miss out on the 23 but looks to be a fixture to come for many years.

Skinner put in a decent shift with a few lineout steals and getting involved in the carry. He'll definitely feature on the bench against SA.

One thing to note is I'd like to see.nore from Ritchie. I'm sure he's doing a lot of grunt work but you're not seeing the ruck disruption or turnovers that you need from him. I still think he needs to communicate with the refs better too - he gets their back up.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:10 am

Yet another game of two halves and a comfortable win in the end sgsjbst a Georgian team definitely up for the challenge.

A few players worthy of mentions in despatches, particularly those off the bench.

Chris Harris probably the pick of the subs for me with Matt Fagerson not far behind.

Healy has already been mentioned and I though Javen Sebastian had another pretty decent cameo.

Ashman also played a lot better this week threw well and was rampaging jn the loose. I think he may well have played himself onto the bench with that performance.

Oh and I thought Ollie Smith play a very tidy game as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:13 am

Harris actually looked an attacking threat surprisingly, but also made a poor choice on not getting the ball to Horne in support.

Did show there's life in the old dog yet through!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:18 am

RDW wrote:Harris actually looked an attacking threat surprisingly, but also made a poor choice on not getting the ball to Horne in support.

Did show there's life in the old dog yet through!

I think The Georgian defender had the passing line covered to Horne. Harris certainly was lookkng for a runner but then deceided to put his head down and go.

A big powerful centre who can break tackles, you see him do that a lot for Gloucester.

He may have played himself onto the bench as well!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down