The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tactical V Injury Subs?

+2
Oakdene
hugehandoff
6 posters

Go down

Tactical V Injury Subs? Empty Tactical V Injury Subs?

Post by hugehandoff Thu 21 Sep 2023, 10:55 am

A lot of talk about how having powerful tactical subs, highlighted by SA's 7:1 split, has brought more injuries into the game. The players are designed for powerful impact as opposed to endurance, especially in the forwards, and thus having a bunch of fresh behemoths smashing into tired bodies is likely to result in injuries. Will reverting to having subs only as injury replacements actually help resolve this and can it work? We moved to tactical subs as the old system was unenforceable as everyone cheated. Players routinely went down citing neck, head and back injuries and it was impossible for doctors to stop this.

So does anyone think this could actually work now and would it be good for the game?

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Tactical V Injury Subs? Empty Re: Tactical V Injury Subs?

Post by Oakdene Thu 21 Sep 2023, 10:58 am

How do you prove someone is or isn't injured?

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu 21 Sep 2023, 11:07 am

Oakdene wrote:How do you prove someone is or isn't injured?

I have no idea....Doc Grey?

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu 21 Sep 2023, 11:09 am

Maybe medically you can afterwards with scans etc and maybe also if a player comes off injured then there is a mandatory rest period to follow? Some way to discourage cheats?

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 21 Sep 2023, 11:13 am

There's no way you can say someone isn't injured, you'd inevitably be inviting some with a slight strain risking it becoming much worse etc. I can't see a problem with a 7 1 split anyway. All it's going to take is a couple of injuries to backs and it's coming home to roost.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 21 Sep 2023, 11:31 am

Oakdene wrote:How do you prove someone is or isn't injured?

Ask Dean Richards

Geordie

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu 21 Sep 2023, 12:54 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:There's no way you can say someone isn't injured, you'd inevitably be inviting some with a slight strain risking it becoming much worse etc. I can't see a problem with a 7 1 split anyway. All it's going to take is a couple of injuries to backs and it's coming home to roost.

I think this is more about returning to playing with 15 players for the whole match, which means less powerful players as they will now require endurance. Different training etc. You will also open up more space in the last 1/4 providing attacking opportunities.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Thu 21 Sep 2023, 2:25 pm

I don't personally see an issue with the 7:1 split at the moment.  My view is you can put whatever you want on the bench.  If the current rules state 23 man squads and 8 subs then teams can use whatever within those parameters.  They can name 8 props on the bench if they like!  No issue whatsoever.

However, I do quite like the suggestion of reverting to injury subs only.  I agree it then makes it more about fitness and lasting a game rather than power and grinding a team into submission with bomb squads and fresh muscle.  Have to say though that it's the same for both sides.  Both teams have the ability to load the bench with forwards.  Teams just need to play to their strengths.

What I do like about the suggestion is the implications for the lower leagues.  Could lead potentially to fewer clubs folding in the lower divisions as they'll be able to get by on fewer players (a real problem currently with lots of sides folding or seeking to merge as player numbers dwindle).

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 23 Sep 2023, 4:49 pm

I get the point but don't think it is practical at this point.  Too difficult to make a clinical determination about someone in a matter of seconds which is what it would have to be to keep games moving?  And there are too many ways to fake and abuse it.  

On the other hand, I think keeping players on the pitch when tired is also setting them up for injury themselves.  I think injuries would increase.  I understand the arguments in favour.  To me the main advantage is it will cause players to shed some weight to be able to go for the full 80.  

But ultimately, I think this won't happen because it would eventually cause/force smaller squads.  Which means a reduction in jobs.  And that would cause serious problems with the players and the player's unions.  In general it is easy to mandate larger squads, but I think very hard to go back.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down