The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JPR Gone - RIP

+3
king_carlos
TAFKA The Oracle
BigGee
7 posters

Go down

JPR Gone - RIP Empty JPR Gone - RIP

Post by BigGee Mon 08 Jan 2024, 9:01 pm

Jez, this one really caught me on the hop, the man seemed to be indestructible as a player and acheived so much as well outside of rugby.

One of my favourite players ever, when I started playing rugby in the 1970s, I wanted to be a full back.

RIP JPR and thanks for the memories

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Pal Joey, No 7&1/2 and mikey_dragon like this post

Back to top Go down

JPR Gone - RIP Empty Re: JPR Gone - RIP

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Mon 08 Jan 2024, 9:06 pm

That’s a big shock. Sad  I thought he was still practicing medicine so not sure if he was ill or if this was sudden.

One of the greats.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 08 Jan 2024, 10:03 pm

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:That’s a big shock. Sad  I thought he was still practicing medicine so not sure if he was ill or if this was sudden.

One of the greats.
A short battle with bacterial meningitis according to the Williams family.

Such a sad loss. All sports have many 'great players'. JPR fit into the category of simply being one of the greatest to ever play his sport though. A true titan.

Oddly, I have several friends in cricket who came across him through the Lord's Taverners. An absolute gentleman by all accounts.

RIP JPR, what a legacy you leave behind.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 09 Jan 2024, 9:06 am

In the mid 1980s when I was at college in London, one of the lecturers was teaching with his wrist in a plaster cast.

At the end of the lecture, I asked him how he broke it and he told me it was playing rugby.

When I then told him I was a rugby player, he gave me the full details. He was playing for a fun XV against one of the hospital teams in London, it was coarse rugby, not meant to be a serious game, so he was rather surprised to see JPR lining up for the opposition.

At the time, he had been declared a professional and was not meant to play amateur rugby, but being JPR,
he could not exactly go incognito and no-one really seemed to mind him playing in any case.

My lecturer tried to run past him and got absolutely clatterred, he said he had never been tackled so hard. He went straight up in the air and landed in a heap breaking his wrist. He was however quite proud of it and probably dined out on that story for years.

The BBC obituary said he was still occasionsly turning out for local club in Wales right into his 50s.

What a man, he certainly loved his rugby.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

mikey_dragon and TAFKA The Oracle like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 09 Jan 2024, 9:47 am

Very sad day yesterday, with this news. Bit before my time, but obviously any Welsh rugby supporter would be aware of the 70s and certainly JPR would be included in that. Just read a bit more about him on a BBC piece. Quite a tennis player too and never losing to England in 11 games is some feat really. I suspect he didn't lose too many internationals with that Welsh squad though.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 09 Jan 2024, 11:15 am

JPR is a legend and one of the real all time greats. Can't really add to what has already been written. Sad.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Wed 10 Jan 2024, 2:14 pm

A Welsh great and a Lions legend having been an integral part of winning tours over New Zealand in 1971 and South Africa 1974.  Away from the game he contributed to society as a consultant in trauma and orthopaedic surgery, and through many charitable events.  It is good to remember the sporting icon, but also the man.

nlpnlp

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Fri 12 Jan 2024, 1:09 am

RIP JPR, legend of the game.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down