The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions coach announced

+5
RiscaGame
king_carlos
mountain man
Mr Bounce
No 7&1/2
9 posters

Go down

Lions coach announced Empty Lions coach announced

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 11 Jan 2024, 11:49 am

Andy Farrell named British and Irish Lions head coach for 2025 tour to Australia - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67935698

Have to say just as with Gatland I don't like the coach being a current head of 1 of the nations. Just naturally lends itself to calls of bias. But at least its not Gatland.

'Andy Farrell has been appointed head coach of the British and Irish Lions for the 2025 tour to Australia.

The Englishman, currently coaching Ireland, succeeds Warren Gatland in the role, having served as his assistant for the 2013 and 2017 Lions series.

Farrell, 48, has led Ireland to a first series win in New Zealand and a Six Nations Grand Slam since taking charge in 2019.

Last month he signed a new Ireland contract that runs until 2027.

His role with the Lions will start in December.

Farrell said it was an "honour and a privilege" and thanked the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) for allowing him to accept the "prestigious opportunity".

"There is a wealth of talent across Britain and Ireland, and I am looking forward to building a team that can deliver the ultimate goal of success in Australia," he said.

"The British and Irish Lions fan base is really special, uniting supporters from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and beyond.

"Mobilising that sea of red by creating a team that our fans can connect with and be proud of will be a key priority for me and will be crucial to our success."

Farrell will prepare the Lions for 10 games, including an opening Test against Argentina in Dublin and ending with a three-Test series against Australia in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney.

Ben Calveley, British and Irish Lions chief executive, said Farrell was an "outstanding candidate for this role".

"Andy is without question one of the best coaches in the world and knows what it takes to win a Series in Australia given his involvement in the Series win in 2013," he said.'

Last edited by No 7&1/2 on Thu 11 Jan 2024, 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Lions coach announced Empty Re: Lions coach announced

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 11 Jan 2024, 11:54 am

I don't mind Farrell as Lions coach. I think he'll be less biased than Gatland; I think it'll be very interesting to see who he'll choose as his support staff. Could be some good coaches there.

At least it's not Jones!

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 11 Jan 2024, 12:10 pm

The inevitable qestions around whether he'll pick Owen will be a distraction I suspect.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 11 Jan 2024, 12:35 pm

I think Farrell was the obvious choice. The systems he's got Ireland playing with are some of the most impressive rugby has seen. That level of cohesion across attacking patterns and defensive structures is absolutely outstanding. Given the Lions are a scratch team coming together every four years it seems a natural fit to opt for a coach who can employ those sorts of systems and is one of the best at building very specific roles that suit individuals. He also has previous experience on Lions tours.

Fans whining about favouritism or their nations players being persecuted is just part of Lions series regardless of the coach anyway! Might as well let the "man yells at cloud" collective get started early.  Laugh

I'll be interested to see who the assistants are.

Townsend for another stint as attack coach must be possible. Mike Catt is leaving the Ireland setup but has been very successful with Farrell. Andrew Goodman who is replacing Catt is highly considered.

Easterby and POC must have a decent shout for forwards coaching roles.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Aled Walters or Felix Jones (former Boks coaches, now with England) are in the setup somewhere. Walters potentially leading S&C. Jones can work across attack and defence, he could be used in a 'consultancy' type role across both has he did with enormous success for the Boks.

Borthwick has ruled himself out for a potential assistants role which suggests he may have been contacted by Faz snr, interestingly. There are a few interesting potential head coaches who might be touted for assistant roles other than Toonie though. Wig at Munster has been on many Lions trips as forwards/scrum coach. Nienaber is of course now at Leinster and he's a terrific defensive tactician. ROG perhaps looking to get a foot into home nations coaching with an eye on being Farrell's successor with Ireland?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 12 Jan 2024, 5:03 am

No surprise really. I guess Farrell won't tear apart his Ireland coaching staff too much, so I think some of the names KC mentions are pretty good calls. ROG may certainly be a good shout to have a role.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 12 Jan 2024, 2:47 pm

Great choice. I guess if we were picking the Lions now, most of the players would be from Ireland too. One of them could be Rhys Ruddock, or is he from Wales nowadays?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 12 Jan 2024, 2:54 pm

As others said, the obvious choice.

But with the state Australian rugby is in, I can't recall being less interested in a Lions tour.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Fri 12 Jan 2024, 3:00 pm

Yeh the Lions need Australia to make big strides in the space of 2 years to make it competitive. A mostly Irish side supported by a smattering of Welsh, English and Scots would dominate this current Australia side reeling from horrific mismanagement by Jones!

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 12 Jan 2024, 3:00 pm

Looks set to be 3 nil to Lions this time. I thought Aus were good in 2011-2013, but Lions were much better by the end of the 2013 tour. I think at the end of that season that Deans was moved on.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 15 Jan 2024, 7:31 am

Stephen Jones starting early. The Lions is the pinnacle of a B&I players career apparently. The sports pantheon will never accept a player into their ranks until they are world class for the Lions. Which is an eye opener for guys like Greenwood I'm sure.

But like every click bait you need to follow it up with a team that makes everyone wonder how much of it he believes.

Jones team.
Marler George Furlong
Itoje Martin
Lawes van der Flier
Willis
Spender russell henshaw ringrose
Van der merwe rees-zammit

Lake schoeman Francis McCarthy Doris Mitchell L Williams Cokanasiga.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 19 Jan 2024, 9:54 pm

Be interesting now with Schmidt named in charge of Australia.

No Rees-Zammit, off to the NFL

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down