The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024

5 posters

Go down

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024 Empty SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024

Post by jimbobgooner Thu May 09, 2024 5:05 pm

Surrey have named a 13 man squad for the LV=Insurance County Championship game against Warwickshire starting on Friday at the kia oval.
Overseas signing Sean Abbott joins the 13-player squad. Very Happy
Unbelievably the ECB have told us not to rest anyone for this game Shocked
Sadly Tom Lawes and Jamie Overton remain on the treatment table, and Conor McKerr is left out from the last squad.
Full Squad:
Burns (c)
Abbott
Atkinson
Clark
Foakes (wk)
Lawrence
Patel
Pope
Roach
Sibley
Smith
Steel
Worrall
Patel will miss out, the other choice not so easy do we go with 5 seamers or do with we stick with Steel?Headscratch which would mean on current form Roach might miss out. Erm
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024 Empty Re: SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024

Post by thegooch7 Thu May 09, 2024 6:36 pm

Cheers jimbob...we surely can't leave out the leading spin wicket taker can we?! Assuming Abbott goes straight in, as you say, on form Roach would be the one to miss out.... it's a conundrum and whoever we leave out, Patel included, will be unlucky to sit this out

thegooch7

guildfordbat and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024 Empty Re: SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE 2024

Post by guildfordbat Thu May 09, 2024 8:19 pm

Yep, cheers JimBob.

I'm sure Patel will be left on the bench. Very tough as he played a valuable innings last time against Hants and scored more than Sibley, Pope, Smith and Lawrence combined. However, I just can't see him retaining his place with all those available. He was the only one of the team that played against Hants to be playing for the seconds this week which strongly suggests he's only back up for tomorrow.

The other one missing out is extremely hard to call. Only a guess but maybe Surrey will want all 5 seamers on the usual green top against Warks who have been in the runs this season. If so, Steel will probably be benched with Lawrence bowling any slow stuff required. Again, that would be very tough on Steel as he's our leading wicket taker and averaging over 50 with the bat (considerably helped by a couple of not outs). If Steel does play, it could be Atkinson who misses out which would annoy the ECB and amuse me.

guildfordbat

thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri May 10, 2024 10:41 am

Surrey win toss and bowl
Guildford calls it and Atkinson misses out with Patel

jimbobgooner

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri May 10, 2024 10:59 am

Cheers JimBob although I did cover my bets a bit between Steel and Atkinson! Wink
At the ground. Beautiful day. Me being old skool would have batted without hesitation. Anyway, that’s not what we do these days with Burns backing his bowlers.
Just had a very dignified minute’s silence for Josh Baker.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri May 10, 2024 6:32 pm

Definitely Warwicks day recovering from 167-6, going to have to bat well when we eventually get in tomorrow

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri May 10, 2024 6:54 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Cheers JimBob although I did cover my bets a bit between Steel and Atkinson! Wink
At the ground. Beautiful day. Me being old skool would have batted without hesitation. Anyway, that’s not what we do these days with Burns backing his bowlers.

Must have been a pleasure to watch the Shrewsbury Sobers in action! Hope he can bring up three figures tomorrow…

JDizzle

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri May 10, 2024 7:55 pm

JDizzle wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Cheers JimBob although I did cover my bets a bit between Steel and Atkinson! Wink

Must have been a pleasure to watch the Shrewsbury Sobers in action! Hope he can bring up three figures tomorrow…

Thought you would have been on here before I got home! Rolling Eyes

More later.

guildfordbat

JDizzle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri May 10, 2024 10:15 pm

yep dreadful last session mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 11, 2024 12:14 am

If ever Surrey wanted substitutes to be allowed in Championship matches, it was today as Warks went from being on the ropes at 167/6 to a healthy 318/8 at stumps. With the four seamers tiring and becoming less effective under the hot sun and Steel coming on to give each more of a break but mainly serving up pies, how good it would have been to bring on a fresh Atkinson to stick it up the tail. Alas, not to be and only the stuff of dreams.

I suspect we thought we might be able to get away without using Steel at all first dig and have the selected seamers bag all ten by around tea. It looked that way for a while with Clark leading the way with wickets at no great cost. Abbott was also tidy and looked good on his return. However, Barnard put a stop to that idea playing calmly at first and then with greater authority and aggression. He also put trust in his tail-end partners who relished their opportunity as our bowling increasingly deteriorated.

Ultimately a disappointing day for Surrey and with a poor weather forecast for Monday, it looks difficult to win from here.

Clark and Barnard will resume in the morning respectively deserving a fivefer and a century.

guildfordbat

JDizzle, thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 11, 2024 11:23 am

Less than 20 minutes gone on day 2 and I’m already in a bad mood here at the Oval.
clap to Barnard for a highly valuable and deserved century but our bowling from Clarke and Worrall has been too short and wide.
BUT that’s better! Worrall gets one to beat Miles and take off stump. Good supporting knock played by Miles.
7 runs needed by Warks to join Surrey on 3 bonus points …

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 11, 2024 11:31 am

Barnard suckered by Lawrence’s drunken windmill bowling. Caught by Sibley trying to go big. No need for that. He could and should have taken an easy single off the third ball of the over and left Hannon-Dalby to comfortably see out the rest of the innocuous over.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat May 11, 2024 2:20 pm

Burns gone for 44. Juggling catch at point by Barnard - who else? - off the very ordinary Rhodes. Lot of credit to Hannon- Dalby who has kept it so tight at the other end (0/9 off 11 overs) and applied pressure.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat May 11, 2024 4:55 pm

Sibley and pope back in the hutch as well Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat May 11, 2024 5:40 pm

50 for Smith clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat May 11, 2024 6:05 pm

50 for Foakes clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat May 11, 2024 6:31 pm

mad mad mad mad mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat May 11, 2024 6:38 pm

only 6 overs were left in the day picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 12, 2024 9:45 am

Not a bad day 2 for Surrey but still frustrating and irritating.

Frustrations and irritations;
1. Four batsmen got in, seemed settled and then got out between 40 and 64. Useful and handy runs but each left me wanting more.
2. Losing 3 wickets in less than 4 overs at the very end considerably lessened our hold of this match.

Nonetheless, that has to be seen in the context of a near superlative innings from Jamie Smith. He's got us towards parity and beyond skilfully mixing defence and attack. Fully deserving of a century today. He was the dominant partner in a stand of 139 for the 4th wicket with Foakes which has put us on top. Just not as much by the end as I wanted.

For Warks, Miles bowled well and was obviously the pick of the visitors' bowlers as shown by his fivefer. I thought he could have had more than his 14 overs and bowled more in tandem with Hannon-Dalby who was generally on the money and economical, albeit wicketless. Jamal was threatening on occasions with his skiddy deliveries but too often wayward whilst the others didn't present too many problems. They bowled more spin than I expected, possibly worried by a penalty for a minus over rate which was on show from quite early on.

Earlier in the day JD's superhero Barnard did complete his century although not as quickly as the idiot on the PA system announced. Barnard's ton was told to the crowd when it was Miles who drove a four. Rolling Eyes That had to be quickly retracted before it soon afterwards could be correctly stated!

guildfordbat

JDizzle, thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 12, 2024 11:19 am

Steel gone

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun May 12, 2024 1:28 pm

Great knock by Jamie Smith - a good lead on first innings, big final two sessions upcoming today.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 12, 2024 1:58 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Great knock by Jamie Smith - a good lead on first innings, big final two sessions upcoming today.

Huge talent Jamie Smith.

guildfordbat

Pal Joey and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 12, 2024 2:00 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Steel gone

He's had a very poor game so far. Bowled a lot of tripe on Friday.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 12, 2024 6:15 pm

Roach proving us wrong

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun May 12, 2024 7:14 pm

So 58 runs to win with 10 wkts in hand, barring rain tomorrow the bar will be opening up nice and early Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 12, 2024 7:14 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Roach proving us wrong

Proving who wrong? Smile

I wasn't there today but clearly an excellent return to set us up for victory in the morning. Weather permitting; fortunately, it seems less of a threat than a few days ago.

After a disappointing day 1, Surrey have done really well to move the game on so speedily and effectively. Great credit to Smith for his batting dominance yesterday and today and Roach for his success with the ball over the last two sessions. Not forgetting Abbott who has impressed upon his return with tidy wicket taking spells and quick runs.

Don't open the bar yet, JimBob, but check the stocks are high. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun May 12, 2024 10:49 pm

Not so much a doubter, but as a proviso, I did say whoever missed out would be unlucky, but extremely happy for Roach's performance, and obviously Smith has made this for Surrey, but as Guildford mentioned, great to see Abbott hit the floor running. Hopefully we'll get the dozen or so overs in early tomorrow and get to the bar!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 13, 2024 3:08 pm

As expected, a comfortable win this morning. The hard yards were done on Saturday and especially Sunday so we can enjoy a few drinks in the bar today once JimBob finds the key!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon May 13, 2024 3:44 pm

The bar is open Very Happy guinness cider Ale RedWine Whisky Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down