The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open 2024

+2
sirfredperry
dummy_half
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

French Open 2024 - Page 2 Empty French Open 2024

Post by dummy_half Fri 24 May 2024, 10:07 am

First topic message reminder :

The draw is out.
A few headlines:
Absolutely brutal first round match of Zverev v Nadal. Not sure who will be more upset by that one.

Djokovic looks to have it easy enough to at least Round 4. Ruud possibly QF opponent, then whoever came through Nadal v Zverev

Dan Evans with a tough starter against Rune
Draper with a qualifier first but Alcaraz waiting in round 2

Norrie v Kotov, Murray v Wawrinka, with winners to meet in round 2, and Sinner potentially waiting in Round 3.

So unlikely to get any British men beyond the third round.

Really not sure where my money would go - don't see Rafa finding enough form to win, especially with Zverev first up (although if he gets through that, he effectively takes the #4 position in the draw). Djokovic is quite up and down so far this year, while Alcaraz and Sinner have both had injury issues recently. The sort of open tournament where someone like Ruud could come through for a surprise win.

Women's:
Difficult to look past Swiatek

HArriet Dart in the main draw against the improving Noskova, so a tough first round.
Katie Boulter with a bit of a rough draw, getting former world #2 Badosa who has dropped down the rankings after injury, possibly the very streaky Sloane Stephens in R2 and Sabalenika in R3

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

French Open 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: French Open 2024

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 06 Jun 2024, 10:32 am

I am going out on a limb and predicting that if Zverev beats Ruud (big if given the result in last year in French Open) that he will win the final as well. Have had that feeling since the draw was made.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 06 Jun 2024, 2:17 pm

I can just about see Zverev beating Alcaraz but I doubt he'll beat Sinner. As I think Sinner will get to the final I think Zverev's chances are not good.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 06 Jun 2024, 3:04 pm

SFP..............Zverev has a 4-1 H2H lead over Sinner in their match up including their last 4 matches in a row. That surprises me when I look at both players and you could argue that Sinner is a much better player now but their most recent match was the US Open last year which Zverev won in 5 sets.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 06 Jun 2024, 4:34 pm

Slasher - Didn't realise that the h-to-h went so much in Zverev's favour. That may well count for something if they meet in the final.

You only have to look at Gauff's struggles (which continued today) against Swiatek to see what a big part the h-to-h plays in players' mindsets.

Still think Zverev's best bet is for Alcaraz to beat Sinner in the other semi. The Spaniard, although by no means having a poor season, has been far easier to beat this year than the Italian.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu 06 Jun 2024, 8:03 pm

Yes Swiatek is an absolute nitemare match up for Gauff! I agree that Sinner is the tougher opponent than Alcaraz this year, I would say Alcaraz the slightly better clay court player but I would see Sinner the superior player on faster courts

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 07 Jun 2024, 7:45 am

Intriguing semi coming up. Although I'm backing Sinner to come through it would be no surprise to see Alcaraz triumph.

Amazing to think that this is the first RG final not to feature one of the Big Three for 20 years.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:15 am

sirfredperry wrote:Intriguing semi coming up. Although I'm backing Sinner to come through it would be no surprise to see Alcaraz triumph.

Amazing to think that this is the first RG final not to feature one of the Big Three for 20 years.

And that the first year of that steak was Nadal's first title, and he still entered this year's draw considered a possible (if now rather unlikely) winner.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 07 Jun 2024, 3:02 pm

There was a blistering start by Sinner who took the first set 6-2 and was a break up early in the second, only for Alcaraz to win five games in a row to lead 5-2. The good news for the crowd is that they are now likely to get at least four sets.

Indeed, Alcaraz does take that second set to make it one set all. A complete turnaround.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 07 Jun 2024, 4:47 pm

Strange match in that Alcaraz was a break down in the second set and then won five straight games and took the set, then Sinner was down a break in the third, won four straight games and took the set for a two sets to one lead.

This was despite the Italian suffering cramps. It's now 4-4 in the fourth.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 07 Jun 2024, 5:02 pm

Alcaraz has taken it to a final set, breaking Sinner in the 10th game of the 4th.

Commentators saying it's been good in parts but has stopped short of a classic. Some suggestion that Alcaraz might have the edge fitness-wise in this final set.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 07 Jun 2024, 5:43 pm

Alcaraz now serving for the match at 5-3 in the final set....

One MP saved by Sinner and it's now deuce. Now a second MP for Alcaraz and that's saved by Sinner, too. Back to deuce. A third MP arrives and this time Alcaraz gets over the line taking the set 6-3 and the match.

For me, although not for others, this is a bit of a surprise in that I thought Sinner would win this. But it's been pointed out how comfortable Alcaraz is on clay. Also, it could be that the Italian was struggling with fitness, although he certainly started well enough.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri 07 Jun 2024, 5:58 pm

Nowhere near a classic, I found large parts of it pretty dull if I am totally honest. Ended up switching it off on a number of occasions to take a break.....you won't see me doing that during a classic match. I thought it was a bit over rated despite being a 5 setter. Compare that to the Nadal, Djok, federer rivalry matches and it was nowhere close

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 07 Jun 2024, 6:09 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:Nowhere near a classic, I found large parts of it pretty dull if I am totally honest. Ended up switching it off on a number of occasions to take a break.....you won't see me doing that during a classic match. I thought it was a bit over rated despite being a 5 setter. Compare that to the Nadal, Djok, federer rivalry matches and it was nowhere close

One of the BBC summarisers has just said that while each played well in parts, they weren't playing their best at the same time, which I think accords with your comment.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 07 Jun 2024, 7:03 pm

Slow start by Zverev who finds himself 5-2 down in the first set. Guess he can take heart from the first semi in that the eventual winner was also second best in the opening set.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 07 Jun 2024, 8:43 pm

With Ruud appearing to be in difficulties (illness?) Zverev has seized his chance and is now two sets to one up and already a break up at the beginning of the fourth set.

I know a number of people have fancied Zverev right from the start of the tournament and it looks like he's heading for the final.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:09 pm

Zverev gets a double break and successfully serves it out for the match - 6-2 in the 4th.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:16 pm

It's all lining up nicely for Zverev. He survived an almighty scare earlier in the tournament. Then he didn't have to face Djoko and now he's had a semi-final opponent who seemed under the weather.

Is he destined to win the whole thing? It won't be easy against Alcaraz but a maiden GS looks very much on.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 08 Jun 2024, 5:24 pm

To the surprise of practically nobody, Swiatek ruthlessly claimed her fourth RG title and her 5th Slam in total.

She was overwhelming favourite going into the tourney and I guess if she was going to lose it would have been in the second round when she was a point away from exiting to Osaka.

I think I'm right in saying she's the first NEW player, man or women, to win a 5th GS since Djoko in 2012. On the women's side it could well be Henin was the last to chalk up five slams.

There's still plenty for Swiatek to aim for - not least a Wimbledon title.

As for the men's final tomorrow, there are those who think this is going to be Zverev's big chance. But if Alcaraz is on top form the German's wait for a Slam title might go on.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 09 Jun 2024, 8:10 am

Who would you put your money on in today's RG final? This is a tricky match to predict. I know I'm rather hedging my bets in saying that a good case could be made out for either player winning.

Some were predicting before the tourney began that Zverev would emerge triumphant. But that was when there some doubts about the fitness of Sinner and Alcaraz. But both got thru to the semis and now Zverev, with past Slam disappointments to overcome, is having to play a two-times Slam winner.

Alcaraz at his best would probably be too much even for an in-form Zverev. But I'm going to finally come off the fence and say the German will win.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sun 09 Jun 2024, 10:30 am

I am sticking with my tournament pick at the start which was zverev but I think Alcaraz is the slight favourite.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 09 Jun 2024, 3:02 pm

First blood to Alcaraz who takes the first set 6-3. Four breaks of serve so far.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 09 Jun 2024, 3:55 pm

Zverev turns the tables and squares the match by taking the second set 6-2.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 09 Jun 2024, 4:40 pm

Alcaraz served for the third set but didn't make it and now it's 5-5. By all accounts it's a rather scrappy affair.

Zverev, seemingly out of this set at 2-5 down, breaks again and then serves it out to take the third set 7-5 and go two sets to one up.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 09 Jun 2024, 5:52 pm

Now we're into a final set after Alcaraz took the 4th set 6-1. Reports say Alcaraz has had treatment on a leg and Zverev, who has had some long matches to get this far, is looking tired.

Not seen any of this but from following commentaries it appears there is little rhythm or consistency about the match. However, the mere score in a final set, with a GS title at stake, will produce its own drama, no doubt.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 09 Jun 2024, 6:33 pm

Alcaraz wins 6-2 in the 5th for his third GS.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 09 Jun 2024, 7:14 pm

Three Slam titles by age 21 is going some. Must say I thought the stars were aligned for Zverev but he was broken so many times in the match and then failed to take numerous BPs that victory was impossible.

By all accounts it was a bit scrappy and Alcaraz may not have been at his best. Just remains for him to win the AO to complete the set. For he and Sinner the sky is the limit.

As for Zverev has he missed his best chance? He can at least take heart from the likes of Stan the Man who didn't win his first Slam until he was 28. Murray chalked up three Slams after losing his first four GS finals. Ivanovic lost, if memory serves, four Slam finals before finally getting over the line at Wimbledon in 2001. So anything is possible.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 10 Jun 2024, 8:36 am

Another RG is over. So what we can learn from the tournament?

At the start the men's was considered the most open for years. Djoko's form and fitness was in doubt and there were also fitness concerns over Sinner and Alcaraz. Zverev, coming off a big Masters win, was considered by many as a good bet.

As it turned out Sinner and Alcaraz shook off their injury worries while it was Djoko who failed to see out the tournament. Zverev lived up to people's expectations by coming within a set of winning the whole thing.

I was ready to dust off the years-old Next Player to Win a Slam thread when the German went two sets to one up. I wonder whether he'll have a better chance of winning a Slam.

The women's tournament had an overwhelming favourite who had only one scare. Once the Osaka match was over Swiatek had little trouble securing her fourth French title.

While Iga is firmly entrenched in the number one position, the numero uno among the men could come down to a battle between Sinner and Alcaraz. Sinner has taken over from Djoko at the pinnacle and you have to think that Novak will never again be top of the heap.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2