The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bounce

+2
Baggiesfan_golfer
Nay
6 posters

Go down

Bounce Empty Bounce

Post by Nay Sat 18 Jun 2011, 5:29 pm

Hi All

I was hoping someone could explain bounce on wedges, i am looking at purchasing a new wedge to fill the gap between my pitch and sand wedges

Any help as always is most appreciate

Nay

Back to top Go down

Bounce Empty Re: Bounce

Post by Baggiesfan_golfer Sat 18 Jun 2011, 5:43 pm

The bounce Is the angle or distance between the leading edge of the wedge and the ground
Ie it's how thick the back sole part of your wedge is

Commanly clubs with less bounce Are less forgiving on mishits
And are more likely to 'dig in'
More bounce will combat this 'digging in'

Baggiesfan_golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat 18 Jun 2011, 6:24 pm

Thank You

As always most helpful,

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 18 Jun 2011, 6:28 pm

These might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_%28golf%29

http://askthegolfpro.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/bounceangle.jpg?w=150&h=144

http://img.ehowcdn.co.uk/article-page-main/ehow-uk/images/a04/pi/dk/definition-golf-club-bounce-800x800.jpg

Personally, I think it's over-rated except out of sand but it can help to minimise the effects of hitting it slightly fat. Generally, if you play off wet, lush turf go for more bounce and if you play off tight, dry turf (i.e. links) less bounce might be the way to go. Try a few options out if you get the chance.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat 18 Jun 2011, 10:17 pm

Bounce is only one part of the equation. I play on firm fairways but have very high bounce. I can do this because of the sole relief and a narrow width. The camber also helps. A lot also depends on how you play your wedge shots.

Go see a fitter is the best option if you're unsure.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 19 Jun 2011, 5:20 pm

Well after doing some research regarding the options for wedges and deciding on a few, of i toddled off to american golf to have a test of them.

When i had decided on a 49 and 60 which I liked the look and feel of, as well hitting well in the bay. Decided on a 49 and 60 degree. I asked about the custom fitting on the wedges to which the sales guy and i quote "Wedges don't need fitted"

so when i asked about the shaft and also the fact the my current irons/wedges where fitted to Upright 2, he said "that while it is important for full iron shots, it has no bearing on wedges"

I then asked but what if i want to hit full wedge shots and was told the difference in set up to standard and my current irons/wedges was so small that it wasnt really worth while.

I was not impressed

So I decided to pass on the wedges and went to another shop who where much more helpful.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerw12 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 6:36 pm

what an idiot. When getting wedge's fitted i would see if you could try them on the course, its the only way you will know if they really suit you or not.

Tigerw12

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dazzler Sun 19 Jun 2011, 6:40 pm

Nae Bother,
so glad you voted with your feet rather than listening to AG salesman who obviously does not have a clue. If you are in or around the Edinburgh area, pop in to Alistair McLean PGA pro at Duddingston GC, i have used his expertise in custom fitting over the years and he offers an excellent service and price. Very Happy
The Dazzler
The Dazzler

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:42 pm

Wedges don't need fitting? Ha! I just had one fitted. And it nothing like the options available off the shelf.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum