The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where does a promoter's involvement stop?

+5
The genius of PBF
huw
Seanusarrilius
The Galveston Giant
BALTIMORA
9 posters

Go down

Where does a promoter's involvement stop? Empty Where does a promoter's involvement stop?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:35 am

I have just listened to a Steve Bunce podcast where he conducts an interview with Frank warren about the DeGale/Groves fight. About a minute into the interview Bunce makes the point to Warren that he noticed how animated he was and goes on to ask Warren what he was telling DeGale and his trainer Jim McDonell. Warren then goes on to say that he was giving his man and his corner some kind of tactical advice.

Is this common practice within boxing?

I am a boxing fan but my knowledge pales into insignificance compared to what you guys know so it would be interesting to hear your views on this.

Cheers guys.

Last edited by FreekShow on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Where does a promoter's involvement stop? Empty Re: Where does a promoter's involvement stop?

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:36 am

Dunno about where it stops, but with fat Mick it barely gets started...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Where does a promoter's involvement stop? Empty Re: Where does a promoter's involvement stop?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:40 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Dunno about where it stops, but with fat Mick it barely gets started...

I take it Mick ain't got this on his desert island disks then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX54zNjcpXc

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:45 am

He just doesn't seem to be the most...pro-active...of promoters. Ask John Murray.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:52 am

Perhaps he is scouring the earth for a Carl Froch type figure to keep behind closed doors all to himself?

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:56 am

Now that sounds just plain sinister! On the flipside Warren gets his guys known, but has a reputation for matching his guys easy (Calzaghe, Hatton, Cleverly etc...) and bagging them weak title shots (Enzo Mac).

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:02 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Now that sounds just plain sinister! On the flipside Warren gets his guys known, but has a reputation for matching his guys easy (Calzaghe, Hatton, Cleverly etc...) and bagging them weak title shots (Enzo Mac).

What is the financial situation with Sports Network now? Didn't they go into administration a couple of years back? Are they now solvent? If not is this the reason that Fish Eyes is desperately shouting 'throw the jab' to his fledgling fighters?

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 am

I think Warren's Sports Network (or at least one branch of it) went into administration two or three years back. In a bizarre 'coincident' it was around the same time Calzaghe was trying to take legal action against Warren for (allegedly) unpaid earnings over (I think) the Hopkins fight.

Now call me a cynic but it seems a TAD convenient that it happened just as Warren may have had to shell out a few quid. Rumour was he'd done it deliberately to avoid paying Calzaghe.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:18 am

Did Calzaghe ever receive the brass then?

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:25 am

Not sure on that one in all honesty. Stories sort of petered out. If you want a good idea of what Warren's like though, just read his column in the Sun. Never a genuine kind word to say, every comment is barbed and he's VERY bitter and resentful of those who've left his stable (Calzaghe, Hatton, Khan) AND of those who he sees as having wronged him (Haye).

He's not a very nice chap.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:40 am

Yeah I read his Sun column every week. I can't believe he can't see what everybody else does but at the same time he tries to be cute about it.

He'll make a point of, lets say, Carl Froch putting in a great performance and then go on to say that Froch's opponent was washed up.

Have you also noticed how he waxes lyrical about Joe Calzaghe being the greatest British fighter ever knowing full well he promoted all but one of his significant fights. It's self gratifying.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:57 am

Exactly. Very much a self-aggrandiser. Can't stand the bloke. He HAS to try to take credit for everything good that happened to anyone who's been even slightly involved with him, and at the same time he hates the thought that people have successes without-sometimes even despite-him.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:05 am

Everyone is great when with Warren but absolute rubbish when they leave him, the guy holds a grudge that's for sure. He definately get's over involved with some fighter's, but he usually never bothers to even attend any shows he puts on in Scotland.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:23 am

Hey guys. Sorry to litter the board bt just wanted all you good 606 peeps to know i have just started a boxing blog of my own. I will be doing fight predicitons, recaps, boxing news, polls and plenty more once i get into the swing of it. Also (for the mods here) i plan to PROMOTE 606V2,(see my link to here from my site) i think we have some great posters on here so i will be flowing traffic this way too. The blog is new but i will be posting regularly and would be very happy to have any of you on there. One former 606er has found his way on there (he was a controversial figure on here but im hoping he keeps it clean on my site) before anyone asks i am NOT his alter ego. the site is

www.maineventboxing.wordpress.com

Would be great to have you aboard. so get signed up,or just visit from time to time folks

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:24 am

I think a lot of the promoters are like the worst type of football club owners, the ones that always interfere with things they shouldn't be involved in.

You see the same with Oscar, he is always very animated and shouting advice for his top prospects.

Must really annoy the trainers!

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:08 pm

Frank Warren is the Bob Arum of British promoters. So many lies and bitter towards fighters.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:16 pm

de la Hoya's a legend who's done it all in the game huw, so his advice would be helpful, has done a great job rebuilding Ortiz as well. Always knew he'd win a world title. i like FW he's quality at his job as well, a proven track record of guiding Calzaghe, Hatton, Naseem, Khan, Cleverly to world titles to name just a few, also putting together big fights like Calzaghe v Lacy, Hatton v Tszyu, etc. And will get Saunders, Gavin, DeGale world titles imo. Mitchell v Murray's another cracker he's made as well imo.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:19 pm

Don't rate Frank Maloney or Mick Hennessy though, Eddie Hearn's building a good stable, he's only had Barker a few month and he's fighting the best in the world already, fair play to promoter and fighter there, i don't think it will be long before Kell Brook's fighting for a world title as well, i'll give it 8 month tops, and Hearn wants Khan for Special K, Brook will take his chin off at WW imo. The time Rendall Munroe had to wait for a world title shot when he'd outboxed the dangerous Martinez twice, beat everyone else in Europe comfortably and then had to go to Japan was bad management imo.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:de la Hoya's a legend who's done it all in the game huw, so his advice would be helpful, has done a great job rebuilding Ortiz as well. Always knew he'd win a world title. i like FW he's quality at his job as well, a proven track record of guiding Calzaghe, Hatton, Naseem, Khan, Cleverly to world titles to name just a few, also putting together big fights like Calzaghe v Lacy, Hatton v Tszyu, etc. And will get Saunders, Gavin, DeGale world titles imo. Mitchell v Murray's another cracker he's made as well imo.

I'm not saying DLH hasn't but as the fighters trainer it must be very annoying, especially if you are giving different advice. Would also be confusing for the boxer.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Wasn't it Johnny Nelson that said what Frank warren knows about boxing you can write on a postage stamp?

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:39 pm

FreekShow wrote:Wasn't it Johnny Nelson that said what Frank warren knows about boxing you can write on a postage stamp?
If he did he's an idiot.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:34 am

huw wrote:I think a lot of the promoters are like the worst type of football club owners, the ones that always interfere with things they shouldn't be involved in.

You see the same with Oscar, he is always very animated and shouting advice for his top prospects.

Must really annoy the trainers!

Atleast Oscar knows what he's talking about, Frank never boxed or has trained any boxers at all. Shame terry Marsh ( allegedly) wasn't a better shot!

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:11 am

[quote="BALTIMORA"]
Now call me a cynic quote]

Cynic.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:07 am

It's true, I am. I seem to recall also that Warren made some accusations about a British boxer and his trainer using HGH or some other banned substance. He didn't name names, but the inference was pretty clear.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/boxing/2801011/Start-random-tests-for-HGH.html

Horse's mouth and all that...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down