The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young guns to dominate majors

+15
Doon the Water
NedB-H
Noshankingtonite
drive4show
sharrison01
navyblueshorts
JDandfries
kwinigolfer
LondonJonnyO
Diggers
super_realist
SmithersJones
geoff998rugby
MustPuttBetter
JASON DAY RULES
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Young guns to dominate majors  - Page 3 Empty Young guns to dominate majors

Post by JASON DAY RULES Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:41 am

First topic message reminder :

Jasons quote

Day agrees that a group of young players are on the verge of something special in the game while acknowledging the task of pressuring McIlroy.

"This is the start of it, and obviously Rory is leading it, and there’s a bunch of other great golfers out there that obviously we need to work a little harder to get to the level of Rory," he said.

"But you’re right, we really are going to start a new generation, and it’s really fun. I think it’s great for golf."

Jason for multiple majors Very Happy

Last edited by Davie on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited to remove excessive CAPS from title)

JASON DAY RULES

Back to top Go down

Young guns to dominate majors  - Page 3 Empty Re: Young guns to dominate majors

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

They were retired in 88! I thought we'd covered that.
And were at their prime in 1990. Most players aside from the truly exceptional are not world class for more than 3 or 4 years. Look at Brazillian Ronaldo

I thought we were done with this?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:18 pm

Retired in 92 even?!!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:They were retired in 88! I thought we'd covered that.
And were at their prime in 1990. Most players aside from the truly exceptional are not world class for more than 3 or 4 years. Look at Brazillian Ronaldo

I thought we were done with this?

Do you mean Brazilian Ronaldo that won two World Cups 8 years apart, FIFA player of the year 3 times, European player of the year twice with a 5 year gap, was in the Brazil squad for 12 years and is the all time highest goal scorer in world cup history?

Bad example...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:44 pm

I do, he was truly world class for a period or 4 or 5 years.
I'm not saying he didn't play football or make the Brazil team for the remainder but he was at his best for those few years.
He was FIFA player of the year in 1996, 1997 and 2002 - 1996 to around 2000 being his prime and he then had a good 2002 partially because of his world cup performances in Korea/Japan.

To correct you, he actually won two World Cups four years apart 1998 and 2002.

Not a bad example at all.

Are we done now?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

I think the England fans view of 'World Class' is a lot different from the rest of the worlds idea of world class.

Dalgliesh was probably Scotland's last player who just might be termed as World class.
How many English players would you rate higher then Dalgliesh over that period.
I can't think of too many.

That's football mind not golf, even though Kenny was a decent golfer.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:54 pm

rory mac = Legend

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 4:00 pm

Doon the Water wrote:I think the England fans view of 'World Class' is a lot different from the rest of the worlds idea of world class.

Dalgliesh was probably Scotland's last player who just might be termed as World class.
How many English players would you rate higher then Dalgliesh over that period.
I can't think of too many.

That's football mind not golf, even though Kenny was a decent golfer.

Agree with Dalglish and a few other's from that period of Liverpool dominance - Keegan springs to mind also with his exploits at Hamburg. Difficult to bracket players as "world class" from countries that have performed so poorly between them for decades. For me, World Class means for club and country and there are very few English and Scottish players that have performed, or had the stage to perform, for both.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 21 Jun 2011, 4:02 pm

Where's Mav when you need him? Presumably still stuffing his face with Rory's '4 good rounds' homemade humble pie. Wink
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 21 Jun 2011, 4:05 pm

Mav has been very quiet since we tried to convince him to out his 20 year old blonde!! Laugh
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 4:05 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:I do, he was truly world class for a period or 4 or 5 years.
I'm not saying he didn't play football or make the Brazil team for the remainder but he was at his best for those few years.
He was FIFA player of the year in 1996, 1997 and 2002 - 1996 to around 2000 being his prime and he then had a good 2002 partially because of his world cup performances in Korea/Japan.

To correct you, he actually won two World Cups four years apart 1998 and 2002.

Not a bad example at all.

Are we done now?

France won the World Cup in '98. Ronaldo swallowed his tongue and did not play for France that year - still Brazil, still world class.

If Ronaldo is not World Class then who, in your opinion, would be classed in that bracket? He won everything with club and country breaking records on the way over a fairly long career.

And ending every point with "are done yet?" would work if you were not making a fresh point...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 21 Jun 2011, 4:16 pm

Of course you're right about France winning 1998
Ronaldo did play, i believe every game, and was 3rd top scorer.
I was so busy wondering where you got your 8 year stat from i didn't even bother to think re 98!

In that case your two world cups must be referring to 1994? When he played err, zero minutes?? Yes, impressive! That definitely stretches out his peak.

I never said Ronaldo wasn't world class. In fact if you go and read back it was me who said he was world class.
What i'm saying is players are generally world class for a period of a few years rather than their entire careers. Just like some of the England Italia 90 squad. I thank you.

I ended those points with "are we done yet" because we agreed to disagree but you keep coming back. No other reason
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 21 Jun 2011, 4:24 pm

super_realist wrote:Diggers, that's what I mean though, England have always picked the biggest names rather than the players who might actually be better for the TEAM, which is the issue.
The public are constantly on the managers back about the players that are selected and the shape they play in.

Heskey was picked for years despite much public conjecture, Le Tissier perhaps was the best player of his generation but was never given the chance because perhaps he played for Southampton and wasn't a big time charlie.

Super, Heskey was picked despite the fact that the public cant stand him, he was a classic example of what you were saying the manager should do, pick a player who might not be fashionable but who could work for the team and for a while did exactly that.
I liked Le Tiss but he would admit himself he frittered away his best years on too many pints, too much punting and too many pies. Thats why none of the big teams would take a chance on him, you have to build a team around a player like Le Tissier and he was too much of a gamble to do that. When you see pros rate their fellow players he rarely gets a shout, Scorer of great goals, provider of great moments...yes. Great player, am afraid not.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Jun 2011, 5:07 pm

Le Tiss, with pies and beers was still way better than any other english attacking midfielder at the time, he didn't play enough for England because it wouldn't have sat with Hoddle's ego to have a player that was technically his equal. England have always had a problem being creative in the last third. Le Tiss should at least have been given more of an opportunity. Anyway, what about Merson, Adams, Gascoigne, Pallister etc, England were hardly a nation of clean living healthy athletes in those days were they?
Heskey was brought in for the right reasons at the time, but like Owen dined out on past achievements for far too long, ditto Gerrard and Lampard, played in the hope they might actually turn out a performance which neither ever really have. Any one of us could manage England to the level Capello does.

Same in friendlies, same old tired faces and never trying anything new or experimental. Too scared to go backwards in order to move forwards.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 21 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

Gascoinge prior to his injury was 10 times the player Le Tissier was. I think you are a bit taken in by all the flicks and tricks that look great on a showreel, you probably would love Lee Trundle as well but theres a reason he played mainly at Swansea and theres a reason Le Tiss stayed at Southampton.
Gerrard and Lampard were literally streets ahead of anyone else competing in their positions for England and both had plenty of good games in England shirts. There isnt a manager in the world who wouldnt have tried to make that pairing work (Mourhinio tried to sign Gerrard remember) its just unfortunate it never clicked.
I honestly dont know where you get your info from its so badly informed, Ericsson was forever switching whole sides at half time in friendlies and got hammered for it. A lot of this comes down to the press and Id have to say
you seem to have been suckered in by it without actually watching or knowing much about the game.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Jun 2011, 6:14 pm

How ironic Diggers that you say I know nothing about football yet you fail to notice that Le Tissier and Gascoigne did not play in the same position.
I said that Le Tiss was better than any other ATTACKING MIDFIELDER
I didn't say Gascoigne wasn't better, I said that both came from an era where athleticism and fitness were often sidelined for a beer and pie of which both clearly indulged Lowry style.

So if I know nothing about football, then I must be in good company because Xavi, the worlds best playmaker has often said that Matt Le Tissier was his boyhood hero, and praise doesn't come much higher than that.
Le Tissier could certainly been incorporated into a more attacking formation at the expense of Anderton or over rated self styled "Guvnor"

Le Tissier, of course had frequent opportunities to further his career, yet through loyalty stayed at Southampton, you could interpret that as a sign of a lack of ambition if you like, but then you could apply that to anyone who signs for Man City, or to Gerrard at Liverpool who if he was more ambitious would have moved to Barcelona, Real Madrid if he was as good as you say and as in demand.
Both Le Tiss and Gerrard are/were big fish in small ponds. Sometimes Diggers I think that you'd argue black was white if only to disagree with me.

All those flicks and tricks, yeah if they are all just to fool people in to thinking that they are better than they are then ROnaldo and Messi should just stop doing them? 🤦

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 21 Jun 2011, 6:20 pm

Guys this a golf thread, not a bloody football one!!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 21 Jun 2011, 6:37 pm

Super, how on earth can I be blamed if you consistently spout tripe? Someone has to set you straight. Apologies Legend, will cease the footie chat though it did start as a golf comparison. Super mentions England and Tiger in every thread, I think it helps him vent his anger issues.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Jun 2011, 6:43 pm

Talking about sport is all about opinion Diggers, there wouldn't be a forum without them, we seem to be diametrically opposed on most issues, whether you think my opinions are "tripe" is merely your opinion.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 21 Jun 2011, 7:23 pm

True enough and if I didn't know you were from the speak as you find school I wouldn't be quite do blunt. As you well know I far from disagree with everything you say but a good debate never hurt anyone.
Having a nice beer in Clapham right now in the sun, happy days.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 21 Jun 2011, 9:55 pm

While I'd agree that the future of the game is undoubtably bright I wouldn't write off Mickleson just yet and I also strongly believe that this 'youth movement' could be the spark that reignites Tiger

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3