The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Q&A with Vince Russo

4 posters

Go down

Q&A with Vince Russo  Empty Q&A with Vince Russo

Post by Fernando Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:01 am

Q: you dont get the credit you deserve for what you did for wwe and what you are doing at tna. Please dont let tna become just wcw revisted

A: We have to stop with the TNA/WCW comparisions. It's 2 different companies at 2 different times.

Q: Vince, why did you decide to get into the ring during your time in WCW? For a while, you said you'd never appear on TV, and then you became part of the main New Blood storyline after the relaunch. Do you ever regret doing that?

A: Mainly because of the pressure being put on me for rating. My attitude was--if they want ratings--then I'll do it myself. No regrets--I learned a lot from it.

Q: Hi Vince i would like your thoughts on some of the talent that have recently shown up in TNA, Hulk Hogans Wrestling Tour recently toured down under with a some of the bigger free agents being on that tour i was at the melbourne show and saw some extremely sloppy wrestling that night yet some of those stars have shown up at TNA do you think TNA would be better investing in some new younger talent and developing new guys like AJ, Joe and Daniels then bringing back old stars that were popular in the 90's

A: We are developing so many new stars at once that I don't think we can add many more to that mix. It takes so much to get new talent "over", and right now we have our hands full.

Q: hi vince,ive been a huge fan of yours since the attitude era..why is it you and ed ferrara could write both raw and smackdown,and now it takes a schoolroom full of people who cant even write a second grade book? do you think anyone will say hey vince..(mcmahon) you need to step away from the business because its affecting the product,...thanks for your time vince!

A: Only if they want to lose their job.

Q: Hey Vince, I'm really looking foward to reading your new book. Any chance you'll be doing any book tours? Also what storylines in 2009 were you most proud of? J

A: I think we told a nice AJ/Sting story if you really looked for the details. The Abyss character did a lot of cool things as well.

Q: Whos the most difficult wrestling star you had to write for?

A: Probably Goldberg. It was tough to write for him being that WCW had made him so one-dimensional before I got there.

Q: Thanks for the access vince. I stopped watching a few years ago but i keep track of whats going on in wrestling, kind of like stalking an old ex-girlfriend. I wish you well, but i am very concerned about the "Rehash" of older talent philosophy. if done fresh, i'm sure it could be a sucess, we all still mark for "Hey Yo...!" but keep the DQ, and countouts to a minimum, and i'll peek thru the window now and again to see whats happening.

A: Always have to try new and different things. You just can't do the same thing week after week. It's very difficult to book 64 shows a year and in order to do that sometimes you need to pull out ALL the stops.

Q: Scale of 1-10 how creative is Glen Gilberti? Did he ever help you come up with any ideas in WCW or TNA worth mentioning?

A: 8. Glen is extremely creative--I talk alot about him in my new book.

Q: Hey Vince, you're a New York guy: Jets or Giants?

A: Giants.

Q: Could we ever see any of these in TNA anytime soon? Falls Count Anywhere Match, Bra & Panties Match, any new Titles(Hardcore Title)?

A: I don't think you'll be seeing any bras and panties matches--I respect our Knockouts way to much. But you will see other creative matches.

Q: Any chance you could book a match that doesn't end in a stupid finish? They are called finisher moves Vince, use them! A DQ in a CAGE MATCH!!! Are you off your mind? Two roll-ups and in the Main Event we saw about 8 finishing moves! Come on Russo, surely you learned your lessons in WCW? Let the wrestlers wrestle and do... what they do best! You don't need screwy finishes or 12 finishing moves to make a match good!

A: I guess you will never see a DQ in an MMA fight? Do you have any idea what it takes to book over 400 matches a year--trying to make each one fresh and different? Any? If you do many of you should apply for my job.

Q: Hey Vince. Forget about all that other stuff. When are you gonna plug your book properly? Your last one was an inspiration work of art, and I expect no less from this one. Are you going to do book signings? Perhaps in Chicago? (maybe do a little Oprah? :P) Cause i need a certain Vic Venom to sign it. - Mish

A: This book is quite different--much, much more wrestling. Haven't discussed signings yet--really enjoy doing them though. As soon as I have some lined up I will let you know.

Q: Hey Vince, I am a huge fan. I was wondering if you could script a feud between any 2 wrestlers, who would they be and why?

A: The "Big Cat" Ernie Ladd and The Rock. How graet would that be?!!!

Q: Did you happen to listen to Jim Cornette's funny rant on TNA? He makes some good points buts very funny to listen to.

A: No, I don't enjoy being personally attacked. Throughout my entire career I have never said one negative word about Jim Cornette--not one. If he wants to be a Vince Russo and TNA hater--let him knock his socks off--but I'm not really interested in listening to that.

Q: hey vince do you think if shelton benjamin was let go by wwe he will be a good fit in TNA?

A: Not really familiar with his work. Don't watch WWE much.

Q: hey Vince, Radz here, does it annoy you when the internet wrestling community just brand you "shock tv" not realising the intriciasies of a amazing storlyine like rock joining the corperation or nWo Silver and Black formation? also any chance of cutting down on the match length on impact and less womens wrestling please!

A: Radz, everybody likes different things. That's why I said earlier--the key is to try to hit a chord with as many viewers as possible--be it wrestling, entertainment, etc. Also, the Knockouts draw the largest numbers every week.

Q: Hi Vince,the "brlillant idea" to bring back in TNA the old Bob the Bullett Armstrong was you or a Cornette's idea?

A: Can't really remember. I will say that I love and respect the "Bullet". He's a great, great man.

Q: Hi again Vince,i would to know what about Eric Young and the World Elite? they still have space on TV?

A: Absolutely. Eric Young is a great, great talent.

Q: Vince i'm thinking of getting in the wrestling industry and i just want to know what people do i have to hang with or talk to to get to the top? and is TNA going to have a magazine?

A: It depends on what capacity you're talking about. TNA has been talking about a magazine.

Q: Vince, what is your opinion on the way WWE have treated Christian since his return from TNA? Do you think he is being held back or 'punished' because of his jump to TNA in 05? He really is such a great talent who should be a huge star in WWE right now.

A: He is absolutely being punished in what I think is a very unfair way. Just another childish Vince McMahon game.

Q: Vince Russo...I love where the new TNA is going! You have a lot of great talent! Who do u think is the best?

A: That's a very vauge question. We have so many years guys who have not really reached their potential yet--so it's tough to say. I will say, however, that the Pope stands out as a shining star.

Kurt Angle.

Q: TNA Impact regularly gets a lot of stick from wrestling critics all over the internet. Do you think that this is because they actually dislike TNA/You/Hogan etc or because they strive so much for somebody to rival the WWE that anything that isn't a hit right of the bat gets a higher then usual amount of critisism?

A: It's because they hate me and hate Hogan--and it's also because they want TNA to be a 2 hour wrestling show--with TWO HOURS of wrestling--that ain't gonna happen, so the haters will continue to hate.

Q: Vince, who pulled the briefcase away from Austin at King of the Ring 1999?

A: I wish I could remember that far back. Not even sure what I ate for breakfast yesterday.

Q: How do you feel about TNA getting rid of the 6 sided ring? It makes me Ill.

A: Not really in agreement with it--I think it makes TNA--TNA.

Q: robert roode is one guy who reminds me alot of HHH from 1999-2000,do u think he may get a push as a singles wrestler soon?also who do you think is the most under-used wrestler on the TNA roster? i think its amazing red

A: I think Roode will one day be a tremendous singles star for TNA. Underrated? Eric Young.

Q: Vince do you have plans for val venis? or was that just a one time thing on monday?

A: Sean Morley is on the TNA roster.

Q: Hey vince, i'm an avid fan of wrestling and love to watch TNA. The thing that I noticed is that it seems that the storylines seem to get mixed up a bit. ie: the mysterious attacker of A.J. Styles. Is this something that is out of your control or is just too little time for so many wrestlers?

A: I like to play things out--you're not going to get your answers in a week. I've been waiting 5 years to get the answers to "Lost". That's just my style--always has been. If you don't pay attention you'll claim it doesn't make sense. Everything I write "makes sense"--you just have to pay attention to get it. AJ's attacker--by the way--gets paid off next week on Impact.

Q: Vince, do you see Bill Goldberg possibly coming to TNA?

A: Why not?

Q: Hey Vince, huge fan. Just got done promoting the Jan 15 show in Reading,Pa.What are the chances of Sid,Kennedy,and Rvd coming in? Why do you think Vinny Mac doesn't see Tna as a threat, and continues to put on horrible shows every week? Thanks for all the hard work in making Tna the best wrestling company out there.

A: Vince does recognize TNA--but his ego will never let him admit it. Sid, RVD and Kennedy would all be great TNA additions.

obviously these are from a while back but it's a interesting read
source: nodq.com

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Q&A with Vince Russo  Empty Re: Q&A with Vince Russo

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:26 am

They're about 18 months old, asked about Benjamin and he says he doesn't watch WWE, asked about Christian and he says hes definitely being punished, guys a two faced bullshitter

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Tue 21 Jun 2011, 9:56 am

At times I couldn't tell if it was a parody or a real Russo interview.

My favourite quote was "Everything I write "makes sense"--you just have to pay attention to get it".

I think Russo's wrestling philosophy, and the reason it repeatedly fails, are best summed up via the following response:

"I guess you will never see a DQ in an MMA fight? Do you have any idea what it takes to book over 400 matches a year--trying to make each one fresh and different? Any? If you do many of you should apply for my job."

It's that desperation to constantly do something "fresh and different" that causes him to fail. 400 matches do not need 400 different finishes. And just because something has never been done before, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. In addition, if every single match has a finish that has never been done before, none of those finishes have any impact, because none of them stand out as special or unique! I also think that the number one thing you remember from a match should simply be who won. If you're doing things properly, the audience should find the outcome of a match - ie the identity of the winner - compelling enough, without needing the finish of the match to be something they've never seen before.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Tue 21 Jun 2011, 4:59 pm

''I like to play things out--you're not going to get your answers in a week. I've been waiting 5 years to get the answers to "Lost". That's just my style--always has been.''

This has to be my favourite quote. He's basically saying 'I dont really know what im doing from week to week, so i just prolong storylines while i think of something good because i dont know how to book a good finish to an angle, but by that time someone new has been added to the roster who is a huge draw so i involve him in the storyline and just wing it'.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 21 Jun 2011, 5:14 pm

Obviously he is a pro and I'm just a fan but booking Pro Wrestling IMO shouldn't be so hard, the easiest way to book it does require planning but not as much as you imagine, the easiest way is to book it backward, start at the end (i.e Orton/Taker at WM) then simply work back the way until you reach the point where they first clash

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Wed 22 Jun 2011, 12:42 pm

the-gaffer wrote:Obviously he is a pro and I'm just a fan but booking Pro Wrestling IMO shouldn't be so hard, the easiest way to book it does require planning but not as much as you imagine, the easiest way is to book it backward, start at the end (i.e Orton/Taker at WM) then simply work back the way until you reach the point where they first clash

This makes more sense than anything ever said by a TNA employee in an interview.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down