The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fastest players of all time.

+30
nottins_jones
ML
The Great Aukster
nottins
maestegmafia
Cymroglan
cardiffstu
dummy_half
Boston Exile
Shifty
Bazzer79
FerN
Biltong
Geordie
ScarletSpiderman
BATH_BTGOG
welshy824
KiwiMatt
disneychilly
manofgwent
Submachine
PenfroPete
kiwicraving
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Adam D
bedfordwelsh
westisbest
rodders
caoimhincentre
polotechnics
34 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fastest players of all time. - Page 2 Empty Fastest players of all time.

Post by polotechnics Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:16 am

First topic message reminder :

I was just watching a clip of Rupeni CauCau on You-Tube and it got me thinking, who are the fastest players of all time.

Is there an official stat.

Do their 100m 80m 40m splits exist?

Or do we just have to surmise who is the fastest.

For me it has to be Brian Habana. Nigel Walker. Christian Cullen. Shane Williams.

polotechnics

Back to top Go down

Fastest players of all time. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fastest players of all time.

Post by cardiffstu Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Cymroglan wrote:I think that's the wrong link

Sorry - on iPad so link is different, try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=USd_yIfiRos

Or just search on YouTube for Nigel Walker Try, especially sweet given the opposition!

cardiffstu

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:23 pm

great link

https://youtu.be/-1mjNAnVEk4

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:33 pm

Allan Bateman may not have been the fastest but his recovery rate was second to none.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:38 pm

This young man is apparently going to be the Fastest man in Wales squad for the foreseeable future.

https://youtu.be/O63ttfrDC50

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:44 pm

maestegmafia wrote:This young man is apparently going to be the Fastest man in Wales squad for the foreseeable future.

Based on those two tries ? First one was obstruction by Shanklin and the second was a simple wait for the ball to bounce and touch it down. So neither of those provide any evidence of him being, "the Fastest man in Wales squad for the foreseeable future."

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:51 pm

nottins wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:This young man is apparently going to be the Fastest man in Wales squad for the foreseeable future.

Based on those two tries ? First one was obstruction by Shanklin and the second was a simple wait for the ball to bounce and touch it down. So neither of those provide any evidence of him being, "the Fastest man in Wales squad for the foreseeable future."
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/06/20/george-north-set-to-become-the-fastest-man-in-welsh-squad-91466-28909930/

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:02 am

Surely Eric Liddell must be up there being a world record holder and Olympic gold medalist?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:04 am

Eric Liddell (chariots of Fire fame)

Olympic 400 metre champion
British 100 yds record holder for 35 years (9.7 seconds). That is lightning fast.

7 caps for Scotland in 1922/23

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:07 am

nottins wrote:

It weren't obstruction. Even the most biased of English commentators thought it weren't. Not North's fault that De Villiers bought the dummy, he was looking at Shanklin the whole time even when the ball was popped off by Jones to North. Well executed move. The second try North was clearly the first guy to get near the ball, even there before Habana. He had to wait for it to bounce because Jones didn't put enough force into the kick; Georgey did well to be the first man there showing rapid pace along the way and to finally touch down. Thirdly, maesteg said 'apparently' and didn't say the hunch (North becoming the fastest winger in Wales) was based on those two tries!

As for the list, Kris Phillips and Leigh Halfpenny would definitely be candidates. You could pick quite a few from each nation but imagine trying to seperate the best/fastest from all of those! Shocked

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removal of unnecessary content)
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:12 am

kris Phillips is quick : Watch this compilation - especially from about 2 minutes 36 onwards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xr0xzif3SI

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:23 am

ML wrote:kris Phillips is quick : Watch this compilation - especially from about 2 minutes 36 onwards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xr0xzif3SI
Often slated for his defence but puts in some handy tackles in those clips. Cheers

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:32 am

He is a useful tackler, players rarely run through or over him, but his defensive problems tend to be of the same sort as Brew's - he gets out of position and screws up the defensive line.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:41 am

Hopefully we will get to see more of him in an Ospreys shirt this season.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 am

im pretty sure i heard that Mat Tait ran the 100m in 10.6 when he was 16 or something which is obviously still the school record. Though as he's bulked up alot now i imagine hes lost some of that, still very quick though!

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by Goosestepper Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:14 am

haven't read all the posts - did anyone suggest Powell in his golf buggy...!?

Goosestepper

Back to top Go down

Fastest players of all time. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fastest players of all time

Post by kidwelly kid Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:26 am

Can't see any mention of J J Williams. He was fast and had the ability to score tries from nothing as he proved for Llanelli, Wales and the Lions

kidwelly kid

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:00 pm

nottins_jones wrote:

It weren't obstruction. Even the most biased of English commentators thought it weren't. Not North's fault that De Villiers bought the dummy, he was looking at Shanklin the whole time even when the ball was popped off by Jones to North. Well executed move. The second try North was clearly the first guy to get near the ball, even there before Habana. He had to wait for it to bounce because Jones didn't put enough force into the kick; Georgey did well to be the first man there showing rapid pace along the way and to finally touch down. Thirdly, maesteg said 'apparently' and didn't say the hunch (North becoming the fastest winger in Wales) was based on those two tries!

As for the list, Kris Phillips and Leigh Halfpenny would definitely be candidates. You could pick quite a few from each nation but imagine trying to seperate the best/fastest from all of those! Shocked

If someone posts a comment saying someone is going to become the fastest winger in Wales and posts a link to a clip showing a distinct lack of speed, then I think you'll find that I'm clearly allowed to make a comment that the clip doesn't back up his statement.

I also think you'll find that if a player takes out another player in front of the ball, it actually is obstruction.

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removal of unnecessary content)

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:11 am

nottins wrote:
nottins_jones wrote:

If someone posts a comment saying someone is going to become the fastest winger in Wales and posts a link to a clip showing a distinct lack of speed, then I think you'll find that I'm clearly allowed to make a comment that the clip doesn't back up his statement.

I also think you'll find that if a player takes out another player in front of the ball, it actually is obstruction.

No it actually doesn't and it did not show a distinct lack of speed anyway. You were just and still are being pointlessly pedantic and got shown up. That poster had later posted a link to an article anyway which backed up his statement. In fact here it is, what he had based his comment on: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/06/20/george-north-set-to-become-the-fastest-man-in-welsh-squad-91466-28909930/
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:38 am

nottins_jones wrote:

No it actually doesn't and it did not show a distinct lack of speed anyway. You were just and still are being pointlessly pedantic and got shown up. That poster had later posted a link to an article anyway which backed up his statement. In fact here it is, what he had based his comment on: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/06/20/george-north-set-to-become-the-fastest-man-in-welsh-squad-91466-28909930/

As I said, the two tries in original posted video does not provide evidence of Norths speed, hence the reason he had to post the link to another article to get his point across. I don't see why you needed to post the link again, except to prove once again what the original video did not.

Last edited by nottins on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:48 am

[/quote]As I said, the two tries in original posted video does not provide evidence of Norths speed, hence the reason he had to post the link to another article to get his point across. I don't see why you needed to post the link again, except to prove once again what the original video did not.[/quote]

And as I have said that poster did not say the video provided evidence of Norths speed and that was not the posters point of posting the video. Re-read his comment if I were you. You were being pedantic which is why he (and now I) have posted the link for you.

And how is it obstruction when De Villiers bought into the dummy? Shanklin kept in his running channel and these type of moves have been happening all season un-punished; I wonder why that is? Ireland in particular Leinster execute the same type of moves well. Have you even played the game?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:53 am

For feck sake can you two nottinses stop bickering about North!

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:54 am

laughing
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:34 am

"Can't see any mention of J J Williams. He was fast and had the ability to score tries from nothing as he proved for Llanelli, Wales and the Lions."

Wasn't JJ a Commonwealth Games sprinter? His son is making a name for himself as a hurdler, I wonder if he fancies a game with the oval ball?

JJ was certainly very quick, but I seem to remember that the fastest palyer in the Llanelli squad at the time was Phil Bennett!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2