The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stories of rugby legends.

3 posters

Go down

Stories of rugby legends. Empty Stories of rugby legends.

Post by Shifty Thu 23 Jun 2011, 3:40 pm

I thought it might be an idea to start a thread about the funniest stories you have heard about over the years. He'res probably the best one Iv'e come across. Having read it in several players autobiographies including Jason Leonards.

Micky Skinner - England tour to Australia

During the early 1990's England toured Australia and in their free time the players would wander along the coast to a park. At the park they saw a new type of sport called Bungee jumping, most of the players were interested but horrified and refused to try it. Micky Skinner however was very keen and was trying to get the England squad to attempt it with him. For days and days he nagged to them until he finally wore the squad down until most of them agreed to try it. Being the one who talked the lads into it he led the boys to the front of the queue, however just before he was about to be harnessed in, he had a brain wave! "Gee lads if were falling upside down our wallets might fall out or you may lose your wedding rings"! As luck would have it he happened to bring a bag with a zip, so starting at the front of the queue we worked his way down the line as the lads put their wallets, loose change, wedding rings, watches etc safely into Skinner's bag. So Skinner ended up up the back of the queue. One by one the brave English lads plummeted off cliff into the ravine until only Skinner was left at the top.
The English boys all gathered to watch Skinner jump and give him a cheer. 5 Minutes past.... Nothing, 10 minutes past, "I hope he's ok said one"... nothing. 15 minutes come up. "Jesus what happened to him"? Said another. 20 Minutes "oh Shít he's got all our money" one finally realises.
So the gallant English squad run up the side of the cliff back to the top only to find Skinner missing! They break off into search parties but cannot find him.
Skinner does of course turn up.... 4PM the following evening having been on the mother of all benders with the English players money!

Legend! Yahoo
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Stories of rugby legends. Empty Re: Stories of rugby legends.

Post by rawa86 Thu 23 Jun 2011, 5:21 pm

About 6 years ago i was given a really good rugby book. It covered all the major events in each decade from the 1930s up to around 2005. It was class because it had loads of contributions from some of the legends of the game. In the interviews they would tell some great stories. My favourite was this one though.

In the 70s after a wales france game in Paris (France won) all the players went fairly heavy on the sauce together. Apparently at the time Gareth Edwards and Jean Pierre Rives were good friends and Rives suggested they go to a party he knew of. So himself and edwards got a taxi to take them where they were going. Now supposedly Rives wasn't great at holding his drink and when he tried to get out of the taxi he fell flat on his face. At the same time too wlesh fans were walking past and saw Edwards getting out. One of the welsh fans just looked at edwards and said 'well gareth we may have lost the match but at least you won the drinking contest.'

Always thought that was pretty funny.

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:50 am

My uncle played rugby for Ebbw and Abertillery during the time of the Merit League and I always remember him telling me a story about Charlie Faulkner.

Ebbw were playing Pooler in a local derby and Charlie got sent off for punching, he did however (as front rowers do) plead his innocence but to no avail.

So Charlie went up to one of the Ebbw players and punched him, saying 'well if I am going to get sent off for punching I might as well get the satisfaction of punching someone'.

Class
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down