The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life as a touring pro...

+7
dynamark
drive4show
Diggers
goldwolf
LondonJonnyO
super_realist
prettyboytone
11 posters

Go down

Life as a touring pro... Empty Life as a touring pro...

Post by prettyboytone Mon 27 Jun 2011, 12:37 pm

Hi guys,

Finally decided to register after being a casual follower of 606v2 since the beginning of 606's demise earlier this year (I rarely posted, just read - so unless you're eagle-eyed you probably won't recognise me from 606) Anyways, great forum, good to see some of the familiar names from the original 606 days and it's not banned at work so it ticks all the boxes!

Was sitting watching the BMW yesterday and I got thinking when watching about how a touring pro manages his life in terms of flights, accommodation etc. Obviously the Westwood's, Mcilroy's, Mickelson's and Tiger's of this world will have people running around after them sorting them out with the best in flights and living quarters for the week wherever they are playing in the world, but it must be a very different way of living for say Robert Coles or Mark Foster.

Obviously LJ knows Simon Khan well, and i'm sure one or two of you may know someone on tour, so I was just wondering if it's the players themselves who trawl through the airline's websites to get the best price and search high and low for accommodation close to venues?! I'd think the tour would help players out surely? Imagine a player qualifying for The Open at RSG next week in final qualifying then needing a roof over there head near the course for a week, impossible to find. Does the tour cater for things like this? I was just intrigued to know as you'd imagine life on tour to the perfect way of living but I can see it being very difficult and stressful unless you are at the top end of the game!

And also, if Diggers reads this - leave us that email address again mate and we'll finally sort out that round of golf as I managed to lose it since 606 died out, I hope you are still enjoying the south coast life!

Enjoy the weather today guys! Our 2 day summer has finally arrived!

prettyboytone

Back to top Go down

Life as a touring pro... Empty Re: Life as a touring pro...

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Jun 2011, 12:40 pm

For every well heeled tour pro there are a hundred who'll live in B&B's or caravans in search of that elusive win that will enure their tour card.

Even at the top end, although it sounds idyllic, I'm sure living in hotels becomes pretty tiresome. Wouldn't mind trying it though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 27 Jun 2011, 12:48 pm

From what I understand there is a ET travel group who can assist the players in finding rooms and flights. But they are not always the cheapest options but rather those which are convienient for the course.

As for living in hotels. It's a nightmare when you do it year round. Which is a reason why a lot of highly placed players might have slightly reduced schedules in my opinion.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm

It's very different these days as there are more management companies taking care of players, the lower ranked players are very well looked after. Even top amateurs, England internationals etc, the EGU took care of all travel arrangements even then.

Obviously there are guys who are trying to get there, but it's certainly not like it was 20 or so years ago when players would drive across European to comps and sleep in their cars.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:01 pm

Hi Tone, yep still loving south coast life, was meant to play West Hove yesterday afternoon with my neighbour but he had to cancel so missed playing on probably the best golfing afternoon of the year, gutted. My email is colin@sohois.co.uk, get in touch and we can sort a round out.
I have no idea re your post in relation to golfers but I did read at the weekend Robert Soderling, the worlds number 5 tennis player, insists on flying everywhere economy which seems a bit odd for a guy who must be a multi millionaire and who you would think would want to be as fresh as possible when he travels to an event. Mind you Scandanavians can be a bit eccentric.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:02 pm

I (along with 1.2m others) follow Poulter on twitter and he really does live the life of Riley. I also know a 'journeyman' pro on tour that's never won an event on the ET and it's a very different story. As LJ says, there is a tour travel group and the vast majority of players have a manager or agent of some description that takes care of a lot of the admin work for them.

If you make enough to keep your card it's still a nice lifestyle.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:07 pm

Diggers wrote:Hi Tone, yep still loving south coast life, was meant to play West Hove yesterday afternoon with my neighbour but he had to cancel so missed playing on probably the best golfing afternoon of the year, gutted. My email is colin@sohois.co.uk, get in touch and we can sort a round out.
I have no idea re your post in relation to golfers but I did read at the weekend Robert Soderling, the worlds number 5 tennis player, insists on flying everywhere economy which seems a bit odd for a guy who must be a multi millionaire and who you would think would want to be as fresh as possible when he travels to an event. Mind you Scandanavians can be a bit eccentric.

I hear that Andreas Murray, Richard Federer, and Ralph Nadal do the same.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:09 pm

Well organised now(everyone except Rock!).I played a few times with DJ Russell back in the day and he travelled around in a Ford Granada estate.
Fold down the seats and sleep next to the clubs.
G day Tone .hope alls well

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by prettyboytone Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:15 pm

Yeah I totally agree that if you are going through a tough spell, missing cuts week in and week out and it's costing you money to play - it must get very hard and difficult, bordering on depressing, living out of a suitcase in a hotel room. Knowing that you are playing for your career and livelihood only cranks up the pressure and it must be a vicious circle until you break into the winners enclosure. There must be plenty a good player that have fallen off the radar because they just didn't get the breaks, which resulted in the losing of the tour card and they now find themselves out of the professional game, or at least the main tour, because of the reasons listed. Don't get me wrong, i'd give everything up for a go at it, but there are two sides to every coin and not everyone is making the big bucks out there!

Diggers, I will pop you an email in the next few days when I know I'm available and we'll sort out a game, weather yesterday was class and West Hove isn't a bad track at all. Off to Haye vs Klitschko on Friday morning so may well be next week at the earliest.

prettyboytone

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:19 pm

No worries mate, whenever. You are a lucky boy going to the fight, could be a cracker and Im sure Hamburg must be a decent place for a few beers.
You fancy Haye to do the business, I think Vlad might be just a bit too big and solid. I see Haye quite a lot as I work in Soho and he trains at the Third Sapce in Piccadilly and often has a coffee in a cafe outside, no entourage or anything. No way is he 6 3" though, Id have him at 6 1" at the most.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 27 Jun 2011, 2:28 pm

Diggers wrote:No worries mate, whenever. You are a lucky boy going to the fight, could be a cracker and Im sure Hamburg must be a decent place for a few beers.
You fancy Haye to do the business, I think Vlad might be just a bit too big and solid. I see Haye quite a lot as I work in Soho and he trains at the Third Sapce in Piccadilly and often has a coffee in a cafe outside, no entourage or anything. No way is he 6 3" though, Id have him at 6 1" at the most.

Audrey Harrison is 6' 5.5" and he looked a good 4-5 inches taller than Haye when they fought, so I would probably go along with that. Still, he is fast and powerful enough to trouble Wlad, just as Wlad is big, strong and hit hard enough to trouble Haye. It should be an exciting fight.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 27 Jun 2011, 3:20 pm

Totally agree Red, think Haye for sure has a chance, just think its going to be a big ask and a massive step up in class from his previous heavyweight fights.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by prettyboytone Mon 27 Jun 2011, 3:23 pm

As with all heavyweight fights, whoever can land on the button first will win, neither are lauded for there chins and that's what makes this fight so evenly matched/finely balanced. Enjoy it while it lasts as it could be done in the first 3 rounds. Personally I think Haye has to impose himself early doors and get WK on the retreat because if Wlad takes centre ring from the off, he'll jab his way to victory before finishing Haye off late in the fight. For me, speed kills and I think Haye will be too quick and elusive and will land the big shot and bring it home but I change my mind everytime I think about it, if Wlad tickles Haye's chin he is in danger! It's huge and I really can't wait!

My cousin fights out of Hove ABC and done some sparring with George Groves recently before his fight with James DeGale, he said Haye is a little up his own and puts on his charisma and personality for the cameras, which i would have thought anyways. Charisma = cash and without it he would still be fighting at Wembley Arena and the like, so no wonder he puts it on and milks it for the cameras, he isn't stupid!

So yeah, thats my take on how difficult it can be to be a touring pro...

prettyboytone

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 27 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

It is, but the biggest attribute he has is Adam Booth in his corner. He is a fantastic trainer and manager. He always seems to alter his fighters preparation and strategy for each individual fight. This fight has very little chance of going the distance though, I am really looking forward to it.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 27 Jun 2011, 3:33 pm

Yeah, Booth is doing well though I did find him v .annoying in all that debate with the German promotor in the build up to the fight getting made. I thought DeGale would beat Groves comfortably so was impressed by that one.
Anyway yes it should be a cracker, nice to have a fight that justifies its PPV status for once.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 27 Jun 2011, 7:52 pm

Sort of back on subject. In 2003 a caddie - don't know his name - whose usual employer had failed to qualify/was injured or for some reason not playing the Open. The caddie offered himself to IMG as an "available" caddie and hit the jackpot by landing Ben Curtis' bag. So these management groups not only look after player by finding flights and accommodation, but find them caddies as well.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by prettyboytone Mon 27 Jun 2011, 7:57 pm

Am I right in saying he is still on Curtis' bag right up until this day?!

prettyboytone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 27 Jun 2011, 8:13 pm

Andy Sutton?

Think he just gave up Curtis's bag in a harmonious break and is working for someone else, perhaps in Europe, or at least a European.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 27 Jun 2011, 8:24 pm

I would just check the carer earnings lists before we all start feeling sorry for the poor old modern pros.

I think Ian woosnam and his camper van and endless attempts to get his tournament card would be a good example to set to todays pros.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down