The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Murray - The best player in history never to win a slam?

+14
bogbrush
Beer
consigliare
yummymummy
Super D Boon
The Special Juan
sportslover
erictheblueuk
Josiah Maiestas
gboycottnut
socal1976
legendkillar
CaledonianCraig
CAS
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Andy Murray - The best player in history never to win a slam? - Page 2 Empty Andy Murray - The best player in history never to win a slam?

Post by CAS Sat 02 Jul 2011, 3:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

I used to give this title to David Nalbandian but Andy Murray has certainly surpassed him now for me. 2 finals at the Australian Open, 1 US Open Final 3 Wimbledon Semis, 1 French Open Semi, 6 Masters 1000s and has been as high as World Number 2.

Marcelo Rios has a claim to it for being World Number 1 but Murray has proven how solid he is on all surfaces and has the game to win any tournament he plays in. I do not buy into 'he is mentally weak.' Out of all the big matches he has lost only the 2009 Wimbledon Semi-Final against Andy Roddick in my opinion he should have one but we all saw how well A-Rod played in the final 2 days later. Federer at he US Open 08 and Aus Open 10 was majestic, Nadal at both Wimbledons was flawless and after Novak beat Murray in the Australian Open final he went on to beat Federer 3 times in a row and Nadal 4 times in a row in final and two on clay! He has just been outplayed by the better player.

I think he needs a bit of luck, I think had he had Nadals US Open 2010 draw he could have won that, had he had Federer's 2009 Wimbledon draw he may have won that. There is no way in my mind Murray is any worse than slam champions such as Andy Roddick, Michael Chang, Thomas Johansson or even Jim Courier and Yevgeny Kafelnikov.

Roger Federer said "you are too good of a player not to win a slam so don't worry about" and I for one am inclined to agree with him.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray - The best player in history never to win a slam? - Page 2 Empty Re: Andy Murray - The best player in history never to win a slam?

Post by Mark2011 Mon 04 Jul 2011, 11:22 am

Ii think Murray will really struggle to win a slam until Nadal, Novak, Federer retire but they are not going anywhere.

Mark2011

Back to top Go down

Andy Murray - The best player in history never to win a slam? - Page 2 Empty Re: Andy Murray - The best player in history never to win a slam?

Post by barrystar Mon 04 Jul 2011, 11:29 am

Murray is close - he had Rafa on the rack for a set and 3 games because he was executing a well-thought-out gameplan to a very high standard. So long as he accepts that there's room for improvement and goes for it he's always in with a very good chance of winning a slam over the next 2 years. If he's not got a slam by the end of 2013 that may be the time for writing the epitaph on his slam career, but not yet.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by daraghj82 Mon 04 Jul 2011, 11:49 am

murray has a bit to go yet, the top 3 are ahead of him atm, ok fed is on the way down a bit but the challenge for murray is to maintain the level of intensity, quality of play that he showed in the first set and a half against nadal. that said has a good chance in the us open in a few months time,

daraghj82

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 04 Jul 2011, 11:57 am

Encouraging statements by Murray today, looking at Noles hopeless 2010 Wimbledon effort and narrow loss in the USO and reflecting that he's looking for a similar improvement.

Very sound thinking.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by daraghj82 Mon 04 Jul 2011, 12:11 pm

they say that darren cahill is helping to improve murrays game, so there is plenty of hope for murray yet. look at how much novak improved since last year.

daraghj82

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 04 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

Daragh

I think there have already been improvements in Murray's game - the first service action looks to have improved (slightly higher and more consistent ball toss), and he is going through the off / DTL forehand better, which is essential to make him less predictable with the passing shots (his cross court forehand already being among the very best). Still room for improvement in all of these plus in the second serve (more variation, using the slice and the 105mph flat serve as well as the kicker).

The difference that could win him a slam is all those incremental improvements, not a revolution of his game. After all, that's what has taken Djokovic from being roughly equivalent to Andy (i.e. capable of challenging but losing more than he won against Fedal) to being the dominant player on the tour this year (well, that and the added confidence of the streak - a lovely virtuous circle to be in: play well, win, get confident, play better).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 04 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

He's too passive to win a slam, he also likes to feel sorry for himself.

Never going to win with the attitude.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2