The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic has joined the GOAT debate

+5
luciusmann
legendkillar
socal1976
yummymummy
Simple_Analyst
9 posters

Go down

Djokovic has joined the GOAT debate Empty Djokovic has joined the GOAT debate

Post by Simple_Analyst Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:31 pm

Some will think Djokovic only won 3 slams but for me he has firmly joined the GOAT debate. This is the strongest era ever in men tennis and I for one look at the quality involved in the slams won and not quantity. Beating Nadal who already is one of greatest of all times only strengthen's his position.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Djokovic has joined the GOAT debate Empty Re: Djokovic has joined the GOAT debate

Post by yummymummy Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:34 pm

Rubbish !!!

Just 'cos he's won 2 GSlams?

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Djokovic has joined the GOAT debate Empty Re: Djokovic has joined the GOAT debate

Post by socal1976 Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:39 pm

No yummy he has won three grandslams and taken it from one of the greatest players of all time. I am Novak fan and I don't put him into goat debates, frankly goat debates are a little silly and subjective although I do dabble. I think Novak is in the conversation as one of the legends of the game. Not necessarily in goathood status yet.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Is he a legend? No...not yet.

He hasn't joined the debate in GOAT.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Here is the thing, he wins the USO this year and dominates next year and suddenly he has 6 or 7 slams. Even what he is achieving now, the level of play against great players alone is enough.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:49 pm

he has answered the Nadal riddle in away that no one, not even Roger at his peak managed to answer. And he has played Federer tough as well. Lets see has 20 ATP wins against Nadal and Roger, and if those two guys are two of the greatest of all time well what does that make novak?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Not nearly enough. Sorry but 1 grand year doesn't enter you into that category. Let's see if he can maintain this form for 2-3 years.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:52 pm

legendkillar wrote:Not nearly enough. Sorry but 1 grand year doesn't enter you into that category. Let's see if he can maintain this form for 2-3 years.

One year does not a swallow make zen zen

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:53 pm

Well it isn't 1 year now is it legend, he won a grandslam in 08, he has been ranked in the top 3 for 5 years now. If he keeps this level up for 2 or 3 years then he will be in goat status. I am talking about his body of work right now puts him firmly into the great status. Not the greatest, probably not top ten but hovering closer and closer.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:59 pm

I agree that if Djokovic wins the USO, there's a good chance he could join the GOAT debate, but he'd have to keep up his winning form into next year. It did cross my mind that he could easily become a contender but he isn't a contender just yet until he wins another slam (at another slam he hasn't won before). There'll be a lot of worried tennis players, first you had Fed dominating, then Nadal and now Djokovic.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:01 pm

Fantastic win; I im a Nole fan today and I am happy as a child.
Can you keep the GOAT debate in stand by for a minute and enjoy this moment?? I seem to remember Fed has 16 and Nole 3 btw

PS: Nole from to today is officially a great champion!!!!!

Last edited by Jeremy_Kyle on Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Exactly, Jeremy this is career validation moment. As a novak fan, I am not putting him into goat debates, but I think he is a great champion and a legend of the game. Based on his entire body of work.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:04 pm

Doesn't anyone think that this whole GOAT thing is getting a bit ridiculous? Why has it only started appearing in the last few years? I certainly don't remember the likes of Sampras being touted as the greatest of all time when he was winning Wimbledon (well, certainly not to the extent the players are today). Djokovic has played brilliantly this year, but to throw him into the debate for the greatest player ever already renders the title a bit meaningless.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:08 pm

Well, given how Djokovic is dominating Nadal, do you think Nadal will hold onto his RG crown? I'm not so sure. Djokovic is a strong contender for winning the career slam, Sampras never did it.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Gosh - 1 win and all the Nole fans are proclaiming him to
be the GOAT Doh (Pardon me socal - 3 wins)

It's still just a blip considering the amount of titles Federer
and Nadal have clocked up between them over the last few
years.

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Djoko is the don of new era, we have to wait and see how long he keeps up his form, GOAT status is not just about quality but quality and quantity together, so we have to wait and see how many GS Nole wins before he could even be added in the debate.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:33 pm

socal1976 wrote:Exactly, Jeremy this is career validation moment. As a novak fan, I am not putting him into goat debates, but I think he is a great champion and a legend of the game. Based on his entire body of work.

Obviously more sense than the OP has.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down