The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Partial Reps.

4 posters

Go down

Partial Reps. Empty Partial Reps.

Post by lightsout Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Sometimes after the top of a squat pyramid ie for me that would be a 1 rep max I'll rest for 3 minutes and put an extra 10 kg on the bar and do some partial reps which will be about 3/4 inches off parallel. I'm not doing this set to look good, what I'm doing is getting myself used to weights that I intend on mastering in the not too distant future.

Any of you guys do anything similar and what's the general view on this sort of approach.

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Partial Reps. Empty Re: Partial Reps.

Post by ThrowingLeather Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:42 pm

Usually If I feel Im not hitting parallel I'll deload and focus on hitting the correct depth.

That final inch is the most important in my eyes... but I can see what you're getting at...I just don't find partial reps to be of much value to my progression.

I do from time to time do a walkout with a heavyweight to get the feel for it.

I don't see any harm in it as an occasional experiment - but from a kinesthetic point of view I couldn't recommend it regularly.

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:45 pm

Can't say I have lightsy......

However what I've always done is do negative reps after I've reached positive failure.....obviously not on Squats or deads but on other presses..

Find it really toasts the muscle....

You lift heavier than me so perhaps you know best...but I've only ever tasted a heavier weight when I've reached the desired reps on the one before...

3/4 inches off parallel sound near to full...Doing yourself down by saying partial..really but I know where you're coming from.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluto1978 Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:18 pm

I've used them in different ways and yes they certainly can be useful.
Rather than just super max weights (above your 1 rep max) I find partials particularly useful for weak point work. The bottom few inches of the deadlift is my weakest. To combat I do partials standing on blocks for the bottom 1/3 of the lift . That way you can work on what is limiting your progression without incurring too much fatigue.
Something like super max lifts can help but need to be used sparingly due to how taxing they are. Do them too often and they can be a bit of a waste of effort and leave you open to injury

Bluto1978

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:03 am

Thanks guys, I'm really after one target for my squats and really it's all about the number, I've got good leg size and really I don't see them getting much bigger without juice and the way I train doesn't promote a massive pump anyway, so it's all about crawling up the weight, I've come through one training plateux after another ( one actually lasted for 8 months) and I've found that doing the partial reps helps to probably more in a mental way than anything else with getting the confidence up to go for the next 2.5kg increase and bottom out with it......ThrowingLeather is right though unless you bottom out with the squat you can't call it a proper rep. Looks like we've got some knowlegeable members here which is good.

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down