The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there one category or weapon that Nadal has that is clearly better than Novak?

+15
legendkillar
Rafa's towel
luciusmann
czaree
Simple_Analyst
dummy_half
HM Murdock
Tenez
Jeremy_Kyle
wow
bogbrush
Chazfazzer
Josiah Maiestas
sportslover
socal1976
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Is there one category or weapon that Nadal has that is clearly better than Novak? - Page 3 Empty Is there one category or weapon that Nadal has that is clearly better than Novak?

Post by socal1976 Thu 7 Jul 2011 - 22:50

First topic message reminder :

Based on current form, I really can't think of one area of the game that Nadal is right now better than Djokovic at. In the last seven months the advantages that Novak had have increased and many of the weaknesses of his game have dissappeared.

1. Serve: Edge Novak he is holding at 89 percent rate #2 in the ATP, higher than even Roger, both guys have great second serves. Novak gets a few more free points and holds more consistently.

2. Return: Nadal is a top 5 returner, but Novak is the best in the game

3. Backhand: Novak has it all on the backhand goes up the line better. Hits more winners with his backhand and it rarely breaks down. Easily one of the top 5 two handers. Nadal has a good cross court backhand but not the variety and versatility of the Djokovic backhand.

4. Forehand: Last year you would clearly give the edge to Nadal, but Novak always had a good forehand and its been getting better and better now for 2 or 3 years. Right now I would again have to rate the forehands as an essential wash. Maybe one guy has a better forehand on a particular day or a particular surface but it isn't what I would call a clear cut advantage for either player.

5. Movement: About even

6. Fitness: Maybe you give it to Rafa but Rafa hasn't worn Novak down in a final for 2 years since Madrid 09. I don't really see this being a clear advantage anymore for one or the other.

7. Volleys: Surprisingly, while I rate Rafa as a good volleyer, and Novak has the reputation of being a poor volleyer, in their recent matchups it has been novak that has one a higher percentage of net points and who has come up more often. In terms of variety, Novak has improved dramatically in his volleys. And since he comes in more often and is winning points at good clip can't call this a Nadal advantage on current form.

So if breaking the games of these two champions down. Forehand, Speed, and fitness (traditional Nadal strengths) are pretty much even. Backhand, Serve, Return all are clear advantages for Djokovic. The only area I think is better for Nadal clearly is that Nadal has a better slice backhand something that Novak really needs to improve. But startling that when you analyze this matchup, based on current form, and look at each area of the game, Novak is pretty much clearly better or Rafa's equal in virtually every area.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Is there one category or weapon that Nadal has that is clearly better than Novak? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is there one category or weapon that Nadal has that is clearly better than Novak?

Post by Tenez Sun 10 Jul 2011 - 23:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1PsGXsdWHQ

Check the point starting at min 1.30. Not saying this is a typical Nadal point but yuo can see Nadal hitting 4 FHs putting Youzhny in trouble...but yet not winning the point. As I said, Nadal's FH is a tough shot to handle but any player with a good FH would win the point from that position and woudl not need 4 FHs either to do so.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Is there one category or weapon that Nadal has that is clearly better than Novak? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is there one category or weapon that Nadal has that is clearly better than Novak?

Post by socal1976 Sun 10 Jul 2011 - 23:25

Tenez, I actually think Novak has been very careful with his body this year. I think in the past he would have played more events. This is a player that has been very durable the last 4 or 5 years, playing a lot of matches each season except for an odd MTO here and there. I think most of his pulling out of smaller events this season has been his attempt to peak for the slams so he can get the #1 ranking. Frankly, I think the strategy has worked pretty well. I don't think he was hurting too badly as he did play doubles against sweden.

Nadal forehand in my mind is still a dominant shot because it draws a lot of errors from his opponents and he does hit a fair amount of winners with the shot, with very few errors. And he still uses the shot to dictate most of the points against most players on tour.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun 10 Jul 2011 - 23:31

I don't think he was hurting too badly as he did play doubles against sweden.

That's teh worrying thing. He still played cause he did not want to let his team down but played the double cause running there is almost inexistant compared to single. So clearly he wants to rest it.

I don't know how bad it, is...it might not be but you don;t know either and as said, there are 9 months on HC coming now..and it's on HC that he started to wear that support.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 10 Jul 2011 - 23:39

Yeah, hardcourt tennis is always harder on the knees but I think he will get a bit of rest right now and be fine. He pulled out of Rotterdam for a sore shoulder, pulled out of Monte Carlo with knee tendonitis. This year he has played the second smallest number of tournaments of anyone in the top 100. I think Novak is trying to pace himself and not push himself in events that are not necessary to his ranking. I think he wants to peak at the open and at the World tour finals.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3