The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what would you do? irons

+9
Yadsendew
jimbohammers
SmithersJones
drive4show
detones
Diggers
JDandfries
hend085
tarka
13 posters

Go down

what would you do? irons Empty what would you do? irons

Post by tarka Fri 08 Jul 2011, 1:44 pm

I have callaway x18r 4-sw and feel the time is ready to change

I want to get custom fit but not break the bank. I also want to buy from the local pro for two reasons. 1. He is a good guy so would like to give him the business. 2. He will give me a £100 for the x18r trade in and I traded in some old bits and bobs so have about 150 in credit to use up.

He has TM r9 irons in stock 4-sw for £349 new with KBS shafts that look good and he obviously can custom fit them for me, which would result in me paying arround a £100 to walk away with the new irons.

Has anybody used them?

At golf show live I had a shot of nike pro combo irons and they were rubbish but wilson staff c19 were excellent. My ideal clubs are tour edge exotics as I am a big fan, but he has took the line "you will get the clubs that suit your swing, not necessarily the ones you think you need" Well if we start from scratch I can see irons costing £600+ which I cannot justify (to my partner). Do you think I should have the r9 fitted to me or bide my time. I am 22 handicap and hit irons relatively far and well, driving is letting me down and I have had enough of buying off the rack stuff just for the name / style / something different froms the masses.

tarka

Back to top Go down

what would you do? irons Empty Re: what would you do? irons

Post by tarka Fri 08 Jul 2011, 1:45 pm

n.b. I know that this above is not a true custom fit with different shafts, monitors, club heads etc, but the price is right!

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 3:32 pm

ive played them before and found them a little bit bulky to be honest but i think at 349 its a pretty good deal... especially considering most irons these days leave out the SW. i dont know anything about the KBC shafts though!
If in any way possible id try and use them a couple of times (even if just at the range) before making the purchase though!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Fri 08 Jul 2011, 3:37 pm

hend, he won't sell them to me if they are no good for me. I wanted these mizuno musclebacks from him 3 months ago and had the reddies but he wouln't sell them to me. The KBS shafts are stock shafts but excellent shafts from what I have read

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 08 Jul 2011, 3:41 pm

I wouldnt change any of my gear in the middle of the season, that is just plain nonesense

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 08 Jul 2011, 3:41 pm

Surely its about what you feel comfortable with, not what he wants to sell you, even if he is a good guy? The price is good but Id still be going to a palce I could try a dozen sets and make my decision based on that.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 3:48 pm

its a good point re changing mid season. .. especially when you consider theyll probably be 50 quid cheaper!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Fri 08 Jul 2011, 3:59 pm

I am a man for all seasons though.

Last edited by tarka on Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by detones Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:00 pm

I will probably be slated for this but I'm only tring to help mate, until you get the HC down to a level where you know getting new irons will make a difference I would not bother. I have learned from experience that custom fitting a higher handicapper can be a frustrating affair. If you do change you may be left unsatisfied that your game does not improve as much you expected with the new irons. I would use the money to invest in a Driver or Fairway woods, this is where spending money can make a difference. X 18's are a fine club and should do you for a few years to come.

detones

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:13 pm

tarka

The primary factor in a custom fit is to find the right shaft for your swing. If you buy these r9 irons then it's not a true custom fit in any sense. Your pro might be able to change the grips and , if the clubs are forged(?), alter the lofts and lie angles.

Apart from that, you are buying 'off the shelf'. However, if they work for you and are better than what you already have then go for it.

thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm

drive4show wrote:tarka

The primary factor in a custom fit is to find the right shaft for your swing. If you buy these r9 irons then it's not a true custom fit in any sense. Your pro might be able to change the grips and , if the clubs are forged(?), alter the lofts and lie angles.

Apart from that, you are buying 'off the shelf'. However, if they work for you and are better than what you already have then go for it.

thumbsup

agree with you 100% drive, not a custom fit in the true sense and may be better may not

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:26 pm

Just don't do it, this is not customer fit, and it IS the middle of the season, regardless of how often you play!!

That said, custom fit is only really worth it if you are consistant enough to put a similar swing on each shot

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:26 pm

detones wrote:I will probably be slated for this but I'm only tring to help mate, until you get the HC down to a level where you know getting new irons will make a difference I would not bother. I have learned from experience that custom fitting a higher handicapper can be a frustrating affair. If you do change you may be left unsatisfied that your game does not improve as much you expected with the new irons. I would use the money to invest in a Driver or Fairway woods, this is where spending money can make a difference. X 18's are a fine club and should do you for a few years to come.

fair cop guv. My swing changes quite a lot but my iron strike is pretty consistant, played with the assistant pro on wed night and he gave me an on course lesson for free because I gave him a cream for pubic lice and never told anyone. He thinks the clubs are ok for me too but I am happy with my driver / fairway woods / hybrids; just slicing 4wd upwards but it ain't the clubs its me. Can hit the exotics hybrid, 4wd, 3wd and driver miles, amnd until recently dead straight

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:31 pm

tarka wrote:he gave me an on course lesson for free because I gave him a cream for pubic lice and never told anyone

Until now! laughing
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:36 pm

Buy what you want at the end of the day. Im sure his boss wont be happy about refusing to sell you some clubs Wink

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:17 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
tarka wrote:he gave me an on course lesson for free because I gave him a cream for pubic lice and never told anyone

Until now! laughing

How on earth do you bring the subject of pubic lice into a golf round - "excuse me your pulling your nine iron and by the way have you got any cream for pubic lice?"

Shocked

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:23 pm

Tarka the chap talking about changing clubs while your handicap is where it is right now may have a point. It seems you have a decent set of irons as it is and a good relation with your pro. Why not spend your money on lessons with the pro, as given your relationship with him it could work wonders. Then when you have a swing that will remain more constant over time you could look at getting new irons.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:27 pm

Yeah I'm all for a friendly round with strangers, but I'd definitely be ensuring I'd be at least 6 feet away from him whilst taking an 'apres round' slash in the urine-house Yikes
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:53 pm

Why are you wanting to change??? What's wrong with the X18s?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 09 Jul 2011, 11:15 am

The custom fitting you'd get from a pro is a million miles what you'd get at a proper fitting centre.

It isn't any more expensive to be custom fit anyway, they want you to buy their products afterall.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 09 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

SR are you suggesting the fitting centre can provide a better service compared to the club pro?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down