The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Socal's "conspiracy" corner: Stupid Saturday and the USO seedings for the top 4

+4
bogbrush
Guest82
yummymummy
socal1976
8 posters

Go down

Socal's "conspiracy" corner: Stupid Saturday and the USO seedings for the top 4 Empty Socal's "conspiracy" corner: Stupid Saturday and the USO seedings for the top 4

Post by socal1976 Sun 10 Jul 2011, 8:30 pm

In the past the financial interests and the form of the players favored Novak and Roger continually being put in the same half. Thus keeping the two ratings giants seperated. But now Novak's earth shaking victory at wimbeldon has shuffled the deck once more. And the existence of Stupid Saturday at the USO now favors that Roger be put into Nadal's half. TV ratings are crucial in understanding the motivations of tour sponsors and tv broadcasters. The US open plays the men on saturday in order to maximize tv ratings. Saturday is a day off in America, so the average viewer will be home looking for sporting event to watch on saturday, bingo US open semifinal with Roger Federer and Nadal. The US open is desperate for a fedal matchup. They are the only slam never to host a fedal final, maybe they will want to settle for the semi. Especially, in light of the fact that it is a safer bet that both players will reach the semi. Even more so when you consider the current form of the less marketable world #1 Djokovic. And if you can't have a sunday audience for a fedal final, or at least you have long odds of Djoko not making the final, then what do you do? You put Roger and Rafa top billing on a weekend, in stupid saturday semi. I am calling my shot right here and right now, the tv broadcasters want Roger and Rafa in the same half this time. Partly because of Novak's form, you heard it hear first. There will be another fortunate coincidence for the tv broadcasters Roger RAfa headline stupid saturday and are put in the same half.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Socal's "conspiracy" corner: Stupid Saturday and the USO seedings for the top 4 Empty Re: Socal's "conspiracy" corner: Stupid Saturday and the USO seedings for the top 4

Post by yummymummy Sun 10 Jul 2011, 9:20 pm

Change the name to *Big Bucks Saturday* and you might
just be right socal.

The Dollar wins !

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Socal's "conspiracy" corner: Stupid Saturday and the USO seedings for the top 4 Empty Re: Socal's "conspiracy" corner: Stupid Saturday and the USO seedings for the top 4

Post by Guest82 Sun 10 Jul 2011, 10:10 pm

I still think they will want a Federer v Nadal final. If Nole spoils the party then him v either Federer or Nadal is marketable, but still not as marketable as a Fedal final.

If I was a betting man (and I am!) then I would put money on Federer being in Djokovic's half of the draw.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 10 Jul 2011, 10:14 pm

Fed/Nadal is still the match-up people will queue around the block for. And advertisers will pay most for.

Don't get your hopes up.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 10 Jul 2011, 10:31 pm

That is my point bogbrush, if this is the matchup they want to see the USO might think that their best chances is to put them in the same half and hope they headline a super saturday lineup with the Fed and Nadal being the late match. Then they can match the ratings of the final with a big semi day that also falls on a weekend. The tv ratings are the big advantage for the tournament and why they have super saturday to begin with. Plus Novak's form would be a threat to the matchup if they split the two up.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 10 Jul 2011, 10:35 pm

Just curious. Why is it such a bad thing if Nadal and Federer are on opposite sides of the draw?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Sun 10 Jul 2011, 10:39 pm

hawkeye wrote:Just curious. Why is it such a bad thing if Nadal and Federer are on opposite sides of the draw?

Not a bad or good thing. It's just a bit predictable that seemingly every Grand Slam semi-final draw is Murray v Nadal and Federer v Djokovic. A fix, allegedly, some might say.

Someone cleverer/more interested than me can back this up with stats.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:19 pm

Nothing is wrong with it per se, except that Roger should have a 50 percent chance as the #3 player of getting Nadal, but instead he always gets Djokovic. This sort of "convenient" statistical anomaly occurs all the time, and keeping Fed and Nadal on opposite halves of the draw allows the broadcasters to maximize their chance of a fedal final, which is by far the biggest draw possible for a final match.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:25 pm

In New York...it's all about what Nike wants.

Djoko with Taccini will not get the best treatment for sure. The day Djoko gets a deal with Nike things will change.

Last year they wanted to cash in on Nadal in the US and they made sure Nadal would win.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:42 pm

I don't know about Nike, but I know that financially the USO wants that fedal matchup just like any other tournament wants to see that match up in the finals. But I think this season if they want that matchup they may come to the conclusion that there best chance is putting them in the same half.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 12:42 am

I feel dirty now having bought my new gym gear from Nike.... Shocked

At least the bag is from HEAD Erm

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 12:43 am

I can't believe I'm still awake...watched Fish vs. Ferrer, poor Mardy... Sad

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 12:46 am

http://www.goodlightscraps.com/content/good-night/good-night-84.gif

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 6:14 pm

Fish Ferrer was a heck of a match, little david is a tough battler.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 11 Jul 2011, 6:25 pm

"heck of a match"

Well if you are amazed and delighted by watching unforced after unforced...then i suppose you would've loved that match!

Fish might be provisionally top 10 player, but he never plays like one egg
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 6:56 pm

I thought it was a good match Josiah, Fish I think is a player that just took to long to figure out what he needs to do to win against the top guys. Since he has lost 30 pounds last year he has played really well. Imagine if he came to this conclusion 5 years ago he could have really had a great career. He is actually the only american player along with Ryan Harrison that I enjoy watching. Fish is more versatile and more naturally gifted ball striker than Roddick. He also is good for knocking the tar out of Andy every now and again in a three set American hardcourt match.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down