The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster Academy 2011/12

3 posters

Go down

Leinster Academy 2011/12 Empty Leinster Academy 2011/12

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:45 pm

Not sure if this has been put up already, my apologies if so;

In all there are 18 players in the Academy including Jordi Murphy, who captained Ireland Under-20’s last month.
The Academy programme is set out over three years where all of the players will aim to ultimately earn a professional contract. Amongst the most recent graduates are Andrew Conway, Brendan Macken and Jack McGrath who have all gone on to feature for the Senior side of late.

Other past graduates from the Leinster Academy system include the likes of Ireland internationals Fergus McFadden, Kevin McLaughlin, Sean O’Brien, Rhys Ruddock, Jonathan Sexton and Devin Toner as well as Fionn Carr and Jamie Hagan who re-joined the province this summer.

In addition to each Academy player’s third level commitments, they will also complete a supplementary HETAC (Higher Education & Training Awards Council) course covering modules such as Rugby, Fitness, Psychology and Lifestyle.

Academy Manager Colin McEntee oversees the day-to-day running of the Academy.

Leinster Academy List 2011/12…

YEAR 1: Andrew Boyle (wing), Jordan Coghlan (number eight), David Doyle (hooker), Tadhg Furlong (Prop), Conor Gilsenan (back row), Luke McGrath (scrum half), Martin Moore (prop), Colm O’Shea (centre), Michael Sherlock (centre), James Tracy (prop)

YEAR 2: Sam Coghlan-Murray (wing), Darren Hudson (wing), Ben Marshall (back row), Jordi Murphy (back row), Jack O’Connell (prop), Noel Reid (out half)

YEAR 3: Ciaran Ruddock (second row), Eamonn Sheridan (centre)

So who might make a name for themselves during the RWC rest periods? I've heard good things about Gilsenan and Luke McGrath. Is it a sign that there are too many doubts for Ciaran Ruddock and Eamonn Sheridan that they are still in the academy and haven't pushed into the senior squad yet?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Leinster Academy 2011/12 Empty Re: Leinster Academy 2011/12

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:50 pm

During the RWC I'd say McGrath could be getting some game time because Leinster don't have too many SH's.

Also ben Marshall, is a backrow player but played 2nd row a lot too and is a good lineout operator and has the bulk. With Hines gone and Cullen in NZ than leaves Skyes, Toner, O'Donoghue, McLaughlin (if not at 6) and Marshall so I expect him to get some game time also.

I hear Sherlock is good also

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:55 pm

Isn't Sheridan already had his three years? I thought that Connacht might have made a go at signing him. I don't see Ciaran Ruddock making it myself though he looks like he might be a decent Championship player over in England.

Some interesting players in the first year. Surprised Cathal Marsh didn't make it in. Doyle is deservedly in. Luke McGrath has to be the most promising scrum half to come through in a long time at Leinster.

Three props has to the most interesting thing. Add that to O'Connell in the second year, Jack McGrath who has just been promoted and then Hagan resigning along with Healy, that is a lot of young Irish props on the books.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:03 pm

Yeah MBT that's true. Good to see a promising scrumhalf who could start moving through the ranks. Ireland need someone like him in addition to Murray and Porter IMO.

The prop situation is encourgaing as well, Mike Ross is what, 30???
Could be older but will take McGrath a couple of years even to up his game a level or two.

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:07 pm

Well Ross probably has another 4 years in him at this level. Hagan then is the next option and he could be ready in a year or two so that gives McGrath plenty of time.

Also, I'm not sold on Porter at all to be honest.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:09 pm

Really? I thought he was really good at the start of the season when he and Pieenar were battling for the 9 jersey, he came off the bench and made some very good contributions.

Yeah ross and Hagan will be tutoring the younger lads for a good bit.

Luke McGrath will be brought in quicker I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:15 pm

What are peoples thoughts on the size of the Academy? 18 players. The Irish system has you in the schools environment up to 18 years old and the academy is the bridge that develops you over the third-level education years, so you would be 21-22 coming out of the academy into the senior squad with some U21 international caps on the cv. I'm not too knowledgeable on the academy side of things, so is 18 a drop from last year? Should you be able to field a full academy side? Or is it right to have the academy focusing more on problem positions (eg props).

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:17 pm

Also, does anyone know if any of these guys have been brought out of the clubs? Or is this solely a leinster schools progression.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:19 pm

Sheridan is a clubs player.

Also, I think 18 is enough. They get a good mix of time spent with the Academy, the senior side training and then with the club they play for.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:22 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Sheridan is a clubs player.

Also, I think 18 is enough. They get a good mix of time spent with the Academy, the senior side training and then with the club they play for.

Cheers MBTGOG, wasn't sure who the club player was (if any). When the Leinster conveyor is working so smoothly at the minute, I think whether they go beyond the usual big schools that often (or as often as they should).

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:33 pm

bandwagon,

They do look at those players and to be fair Leinster are probably one of the better provinces for doing it.

Sean O'Brien, Jamie Hagan and Felix Jones are excellent examples of this. Players like Ben Marshall, Ian McKinley and Dominic Ryan come from some of the smaller schools which is a good thing as well.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down