The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antrim v Down

+2
Thomond
Kingshu
6 posters

Go down

Antrim v Down Empty Antrim v Down

Post by Kingshu Wed 13 Jul 2011, 11:13 am

Antrim v Down Home 7/2 Draw 9/1 Away 1/4

Even though Down are favourites, I still think Antrom have a good chance.

In the championship over the last 3 years the only teams to beat us are Tyrone x2 ( a great team) Kerry (always great) Kildare (1/4 finalists in all Ireland and a good team) and Donegal (ulster finalists). It's always a good team that puts us out, and while Down do fall into this bracket (all-Ireland finialists), I believe that we can upset them, as Antrim are underrated and it's within the team to be able to cause a shock .

So thoughts

Are Antrim underrated and capable of causing an upset?
or
Are Antrim just simpily not in the same class yet to upset the odds?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Antrim v Down Empty Re: Antrim v Down

Post by Thomond Wed 13 Jul 2011, 11:34 am

I hope Antrim win. Cork have a better chance of beating them!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Wed 13 Jul 2011, 12:09 pm

Not in the same class but then I would say that !

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:31 pm

[quote="Thomond"]I hope Antrim win. Cork have a better chance of beating them![/quote]
If we play like we did against Kerry we'll have a hard time beating them to! Shocked
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 13 Jul 2011, 7:31 pm

We nearly beat Kerry with awful tactics playing in first gear,we would take care of Antrim.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Thu 14 Jul 2011, 1:19 pm

Kingshu
Back to the original theme of the post (cant keep these Cork interlopers out of anything). I dont think the bookies odds reflect the true status of the game in anyway. It wiil be a lot closer than the odds suggest. Down have struggled their way through the championship so far for a number of reasons.
Armagh game - Down didnt raise their game to the same level as Armagh. The Armagh/Down rivalry is longer standing and more intense for those in th south of both counties compared to the more recent Armagh/Tyrone spats. Poor decision making by the management team didnt help and the resultant poor start only made matters worse.
Clare game - Injuries to a couple of key players, a few strange positional changes and I assume taking Clare for granted led to a very real scare.
Leitrim game - If only we could replicate the last twenty minutes. I dont think Benny Coulter has been fully fit all season, McComiskey form has gone off the boil and Danny Hughes has not been available. The plus side has been Liam Doyle is back in contention and the Cameo appearances of young Mooney have been excellent. I think if Down play to their potential they would account for Antrim comfortably but given the performances to date it is unlikely that Down team will turn up on Saturday evening for any lenghth of time.

It is more likely to have to be a dogged Down performance in which we will have to win lot of dirty ball in the key areas this is where we need Danny Hughes and Liam Doyle to be at their best. It is likely tht the Weather will also play a key part. I am not one of the Down only play in good dry conditions crowd but the local weather forecast gives non stop rain from Thursday with lengthy heavy spells on Saturday evening. Down major a lot on quick short handpassess to open spaces, not the easiest when handling conditions are not the easiest.

In short I expect a very difficult game and any win will be received gratefully

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 14 Jul 2011, 1:41 pm

I too think it'll be a close game, think Down win win it in last 10 minutes and but away a few scores, but I do believe that Antrim are middleweights in Gealic football, a win over Down could move us up to supermiddle weights.

As for the Cork fans who think they could easily handle Antrim, I think you could be shocked (not saying Antrim will beat Down, or Cork if they cot them, but would and should run them close, and leave the possibility to sneak a win).

Antrim get underrated because they play in Ulster, if they were a Connacht team they would have a least 2 titles over the last 5 years.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 14 Jul 2011, 1:57 pm

Shu,Cork are one of the frontrunners to their All-Ireland if we didn't beat Antrim by 5 points I would be disappointed.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Thu 14 Jul 2011, 2:02 pm

Kingshu wrote:I too think it'll be a close game, think Down win win it in last 10 minutes and but away a few scores, but I do believe that Antrim are middleweights in Gealic football, a win over Down could move us up to supermiddle weights.

As for the Cork fans who think they could easily handle Antrim, I think you could be shocked (not saying Antrim will beat Down, or Cork if they cot them, but would and should run them close, and leave the possibility to sneak a win).

Antrim get underrated because they play in Ulster, if they were a Connacht team they would have a least 2 titles over the last 5 years.

There are only heavyweights and makeweights in the GAA, Down have not been heavyweights for some time and one AI final appearance doesnt chnge that we need a consistent performance over a number of seasons.
Antrim only made the Ulster final in 2009, I dont think you would have beat either Mayo or Galway in that year, what other year do you think you would have won Connaght?

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hartley Thu 14 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

Well as a regular attender of both Antrim and Down games, over the last couple of years in particular, I'm probably ideally placed on this one!

I think Down have the better players - no question. Antrim however are dangerous at home (particularly on a Saturday NIGHT!) and could well make it tough for Down! I think the weakest point of Antrim's team can be the forwards - we probably would have lost to Carlow if Paddy Cunningham hadn't of come off the bench. I think the weakest point of Down's team is the defenders - but given Antrim's forward weakness can they really exploit this?

In terms of midfied, about even, whilst in terms of Down's quality forwards v Antrim' steady backs I see maybe Down edging it - particularly if the brilliant Marty Clarke is on form.

I predict a tight, tense affair with Down winning by a couple of points. I think Down would be a huge threat then to Cork, Antrim however would be totally in awe of Cork and probably not offer much of a threat in that particular game. You may wonder why Antrim aren't in awe of Down? Well it's Casement, it's Saturday night, they're near neighbours and they've been struggling a bit this Championship season! I think most Antrim fans kinda love Down too but over 70 minutes the team will get wired in and see it essentially as their All-Ireland final. I think bad weather - as predicted on Saturday - will also help Antrim. Down are always good on a fast, dry track as they're the Kerry of the North!

Hartley

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 14 Jul 2011, 3:47 pm

i agree with verything Hartley said. Clsoe Game against Down prob lose, if won would freeze and be beat by Cork by at least 5 (as someone said),

As for Connacht titles, Roscommon won it last year, and are in the final this year, and i'd go so far to say Antrm are better than Roscommon

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

Just happened to catch the Aussie rules highlights late last night on TG4, on his present form in a Down shirt I dont think Collingwood will be waiting with bated breath or do they necessarily need him.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hartley Fri 15 Jul 2011, 3:54 pm

It's so annoying Marty is going. Tomorrow night I'll essentially be cheering for Antrim even though this will mean it could be, if Antrim win, the last time I see Marty Clarke - my favorite player - playing!!

(Maybe Antrim will win and I'll win the half-time draw at Casement enableing me to fly out to Oz with him!!)

Hartley

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Sat 16 Jul 2011, 7:59 am

I'll be paying a lot of attention to this bad boy
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down