The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kieron Dyer signs for QPR

+5
sportform
jimbohammers
GSC
sodhat
Crimey
9 posters

Go down

Kieron Dyer signs for QPR Empty Kieron Dyer signs for QPR

Post by Crimey Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:10 pm

QPR have completed the signing of midfielder Kieron Dyer on a free transfer.

The 32-year-old, who was released by West Ham United at the end of the season, joins the newly-promoted Premier League club on a one-year deal.

"I'm just delighted to be here," he told the club website.

"QPR are an ambitious club. When I sat down with Neil and he explained the vision for the club I wanted to be part of it. He totally sold the club to me."

He added: "I've got something to prove after the couple of years I've had, but I feel good and I'm really looking forward to playing my part next season."

Dyer joined the Hammers from Newcastle United in August 2007 for £6m but only made 34 appearances for the club because of injuries.

He also spent a month on loan at former club Ipswich Town this season.

Dyer began his professional career in 1996 with the Suffolk outfit before moving to Newcastle three years later for £6m, which was then a record fee paid for a Town player.

Injuries also figured during his time at St James' Park, when he suffered a hamstring problem which kept him sidelined for the first part of the 2005-2006 season.

Dyer's time at Newcastle will also be remembered for his on-pitch brawl with team-mate Lee Bowyer during the league match against Aston Villa in 2005. Both players received red cards and Dyer was handed a three-match ban.

"When a player of Kieron's ability becomes available, you'd be crazy not to be interested," said QPR boss Neil Warnock.

"As far as I'm concerned it's a gamble worth taking. He really impressed me in training and it looks like he has been working hard on his fitness throughout the summer.

"I instantly liked him when we met. You get feelings like that as a manager.

"He's had a lot of problems, but he's got something to prove. He's a hell of a good player and I still think he's got an opportunity to impress with us.

"He has a lot of experience and is desperate to play in the Premier League again. I like the hunger he's got and he wants to prove a point."

Meanwhile, Adel Taarabt, who has been linked with a £13.5m move to Paris St. Germain, is expected to report back for pre-season training with QPR on Monday barring further transfer developments.

Taarabt has been allowed to delay his return after spending part of his close season on international duty with Morocco.

QPR are also one of the clubs being linked with England defender Matthew Upson, who is a free agent after leaving West Ham following their relegation from the top flight.

So what does everybody think?

I think like with Woodgate the reaction to this is mixed, on the one hand they have somebody who has shown in the past they're a decent player and he does add invaluable Premier League experience to the QPR side. But the stats speak for the themselves and 18 appearences in all competitions in the past 4 years if horrifically bad, and it's hard to believe he'll ever be able to recapture anything the sort of player he was before injuries took over, and he never lit the world up really.

As long as he's on low wages, it seems a fairly low risk move and QPR will be hoping it pays off. Although with Upson apparently in their sights, they will have to avoid injury prone, past their best players. Remember Upson and Dyer are players that were at West Ham were relegated, bottom of the league, they aren't without their own responsibility for that.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Kieron Dyer signs for QPR Empty Dyer joins QPR

Post by sodhat Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:42 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14143132.stm

Good luck with this one... good player, but I hope he is pay-as-you-play.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Kieron Dyer signs for QPR Empty Re: Kieron Dyer signs for QPR

Post by GSC Wed 13 Jul 2011, 5:16 pm

I forgot he still played tbh. I imagine he's done at this level.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 13 Jul 2011, 5:32 pm

As a west ham fan i think qpr are nuts, useless

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Wed 13 Jul 2011, 6:44 pm

QPR sign two England internationals in two days...

Well that's not quite as good as it sounds. Both on free transfers (whatever happened to 'big' spending QPR?), one was a Championship player and the other is injury prone. That said both have the potential to be good signings.

I would like to see our bid for DJ Campbell to go through. £1.5m for one of the top goalscorers in the Premier League last season would not be a bad deal. Especially considering the £25m for Darren Bent and Carlos Tevez's £50m price tag.

I would also like to see us sign Michael Johnson from Man City, even if it is just a season long loan deal.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:06 pm

sportsville wrote:

I would also like to see us sign Michael Johnson from Man City, even if it is just a season long loan deal.

Supposedly he's put on a lot of weight recently and has lost all motivation which is a shame considering how good of a player he once was.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:21 pm

Views similar to those of Jimbohammers - I'd be very surprised if he was fit to play much and if he still retains much of his old abilities. QPR would be well advised to go for pay per view.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 13 Jul 2011, 11:22 pm

He picked up massive wages at west ham, if he ever played for us he lasted 30 mins. Cant see him playing 5 games for QPR

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 11:31 pm

Im not going to lie, Im a HUGELY dissapointed by the severe lack of activity in the clubs transfer market. I mean, we wait until now to sign two free transfers who really arent Premiership standard :S Not impressed at all...
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:07 am

Give it time, plenty of action to be had in this window. I don't think the merry go round is in full swing yet, barring at United, where they seem to have achieved everything they needed already (assuming Sneijder comes in).

He still has quality to offer to QPR, but you won't get him on the pitch. It's a shame for him, he was really looking like a top winger for a while with all the pace in the world...but that was roughly 2002-04.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:02 pm

Besides the fact that he is an arrogant obnoxious *****

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:09 pm

More money for nothing for Dyer. I hope he is with BUPA.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down