The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forgotten greats!

4 posters

Go down

Forgotten greats! Empty Forgotten greats!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 13 Jul 2011, 5:32 pm

I would like to honour a great fighter, seldom talked about on forums today but 1 who must have 1 of the best resumes ever! The fighter I talk of is Jimmy Bivins

He was born on December, the 6th, in 1919 in Dry Branch, GA, USA. He was ca. 5´11 tall and weighed during his pro career between 154 and 195 lbs. His managers were Wilfred Carter and Claude Shane. Pysically, he was very strong, that´s why he could even fight with the best HW´s. He started his career as a Light Middleweight, but three years later he fought in the Light Heavyweight Division yet. His most success he celebrated as a LHW, all in all, he defeated great/ very good fighters like Christoforidis, Burley, Muscato, Valentino, Murray, Maxim, Pastor, Bettina, Marshall, Savold, Thompson, Wallace, etc., he has one of the best resumes ever, and the most ironic and sad thing is, that he never got the chance to fight for a World Title. He retired in 1955, after a decision- win against the good and ranked DeJohn. Jimmy Bivins was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1999.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Forgotten greats! Empty Re: Forgotten greats!

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

He was indeed a great fighter, a borderline top ten of all time at 175 lb for me, as demonstrated when I did my Light-Heavyweight article a few weeks back. Nice mention.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 15 Jul 2011, 7:29 pm

Only learned of Bivins after reading Harry Otty's book on Burley. Was thinking of purchasing the other Burley book as it's a lot bigger because i believe goes into great detail about fighters such as Bivins, Holman Williams etc.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 15 Jul 2011, 7:37 pm

Fantastic fighter who had the misfortune of being born when he was, almost any other era and he's a leading figure rather than an also ran

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down