The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...?

+12
disneychilly
bedfordwelsh
rodders
G2
RuggerRadge2611
offload
D24tress
George Carlin
beshocked
BATH_BTGOG
funnyExiledScot
maestegmafia
16 posters

Go down

The Greatest Backrow ever ? ? ?

THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_lcap2%THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_lcap9%THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 4 ]
THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_lcap56%THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_rcap 56% 
[ 24 ]
THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_lcap0%THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_lcap9%THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 4 ]
THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_lcap2%THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_lcap0%THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_lcap7%THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_lcap7%THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 43

THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Empty THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...?

Post by maestegmafia Thu 14 Jul - 12:13

Who were the fastest, the best defenders, the best attackers, the slyest ball stealers, the cleverest ruckers, hardest maulers etc etc etc....!

This is going to be tricky as there have been some impressive units out there... Plenty to choose from..

Jean-Pierre Rives - Christian Beguerie - Jean-Luc Joinel - France Grandslamers in 1974 and bet the ABs in NZ 1979

Jones - Whetton - Shelford - AB World Cup 87

Hill - Back - Dallaglio - England circa 1999-2003

Willy Ofahengaue - Simon Poidevin - Troy Coker - Australia 91 RWC

Michael Jones Reuben Thorne - Josh Kronfeld - Zinzan Brooke - ABs mid 90s

Owen Finegan - George Smith - Toutai Kefu - Australia 2001 Lions Victory

Marc Lievremont - Olivier Magne - Christophe Juillet - France Late 90s

Roger Uttley - Fergus Slattery - Mervyn Davies - Lions 1974 beat SA

Ruben Kruger - Francois Pienaar - Mark Andrews - RWC 95

Mickey Skinner - Peter Winterbottom - Mike Teague - England circa 91- 92

G Smith - P Waugh - D Lyons - Australia RWC 99

Derek White - John Jeffrey - Finlay Caulder - Scotland Grandslam 90

Dallaglio - Hill - Rodber - Lions 1997 beat SA

Burger - Smith - Rossouw - SA RWC 07

John Taylor - Peter Dixon - Mervyn Davies - Lions 1971 beat Abs

Richard Hill - Martin Corry - Scott Quinnell - Lions 2001

Ben Clarke - Tim Rodber - Dean Richards - England mid 90s

Jerome Kaino - Richie McCaw - Kieran Read - ABs Current

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Thu 14 Jul - 20:24; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Poll tweaks)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Empty Re: THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...?

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 14 Jul - 12:19

I went for the England 2003 trio. The best balanced back row I've seen play.

For Scotland, I think the White, Hogg and Taylor combination in the mid 00's is probably the best we've had in my time, although the 1990 back row was also strong.

Currently I think the All Blacks are the top trio, Kaino, McCaw and Read, although Italy could form a surprisingly good trio at the WC of Zanni, Bergamasco and Parisse assuming they all stay fit.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...? Empty Re: THe Greatest Backrow Unit of all time...?

Post by BATH_BTGOG Thu 14 Jul - 12:25

funnyExiledScot wrote: although Italy could form a surprisingly good trio at the WC of Zanni, Bergamasco and Parisse assuming they all stay fit.

Isn't Bergamasco a Scrum Half?????
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 14 Jul - 12:30

Have to go for the holy trinity of Hill,Back and Dallaglio. Maybe as individuals not the greatest in their positions but as a unit were immense.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 Jul - 12:31

Very difficult - the best backrows have a great balance and it should be this that people are voting for rather than great individuals.

I think that the Iceman, Whetton and Buck is unbeatable in terms of aggregate quality of player but a nod has to go to Uttley, Slattery and the Swerv - it must have been horrendous to be a half back with that trio bearing down on you.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 14 Jul - 12:33

BATH_BTGOG wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote: although Italy could form a surprisingly good trio at the WC of Zanni, Bergamasco and Parisse assuming they all stay fit.

Isn't Bergamasco a Scrum Half?????
No the Bergamasco they are referring to is definitely a Flanker or Winger, his brother is either a center or winger. There is unequivocally no doubt in that what so ever.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Thu 14 Jul - 12:35

You should have the leinster trio of o'brien/elsom jennings heislip in there

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 14 Jul - 12:37

D24tress wrote:You should have the leinster trio of o'brien/elsom jennings heislip in there

You have to ask the moderators if you would like to add anyone, I cant do it myself. That said, they were a great backrow unit but I dont think they were quite legendary status.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 14 Jul - 12:46

I went for the 87 NZ boys, but there are some fantastic units in that list - very tough choice this one.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 14 Jul - 12:49

I had to go with Kaino Read and McCaw, trully a fantastic combination of Speed, Power and aggression.

Kaino too is probably the most under rated blind side flanker in the world IMO.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Thu 14 Jul - 12:51

maestegmafia wrote:
D24tress wrote:You should have the leinster trio of o'brien/elsom jennings heislip in there

You have to ask the moderators if you would like to add anyone, I cant do it myself. That said, they were a great backrow unit but I dont think they were quite legendary status.

I was half joking, but in time they will make the list

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Thu 14 Jul - 12:52

I'm probably biased but went for Hill,Back and Dallaglio

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 14 Jul - 12:54

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I had to go with Kaino Read and McCaw, trully a fantastic combination of Speed, Power and aggression.

Kaino too is probably the most under rated blind side flanker in the world IMO.

Blindsides are always underrated, and when they are gone you miss them...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 14 Jul - 12:57

I'd have gone for Ferris, Heaslip and Wallace if had been there....

Based on the number of games they played together and the fact that they were GS, WC and Lions winners I'll go for the obvious one of Hill, Back and Dallagio.

Some of the AB combos including the current one are possibly better though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 14 Jul - 13:03

roddersm wrote:I'd have gone for Ferris, Heaslip and Wallace if had been there....

You can't seriously think that they are the best 3 backrow players of all time rodders?

Just go back to the end of last year when Barclay Beattie and Brown thouroughly bested them in the 6N.

Brilliant players yes and arguably the form back 3 in the NH at the moment but the best of all time? Absolutley not!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 14 Jul - 13:09

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
You can't seriously think that they are the best 3 backrow players of all time rodders?

Give it time radge, give it time....

Put it like this, I wouldn't swap them for any of the trios on that above list (apart from Kaino, Reid and MCCaw or Brooke, Thorn and Kronfield maybe... Very Happy ) ....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 14 Jul - 13:15

Heaslip is a brilliant ball carrying number 8 but in a differant way from Reid, Reid is more physical whilst Heaslip is more ellusive ( he has some step for a big lad ) .

Ireland seem to have an abundance of big physical blind sides (Ferris and SOB).

I prefer the more traditional set up for a back 3 a bit like Kaino, McCaw and Reid. Scotland's backrow of Brown, Barclay and Beattie is in the same mould a lighter 7, a slightly bigger blind side and a monstrous no8.

Perhaps if Livermont had created a stable team selection policy for France Harinordiqy and Dusatoire could have formed part of a fantastic backrow unit too, however Livermont is a madman and is almost certain to pick his team via dice rolls.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 14 Jul - 13:25

Fair enough Radge.

Maybe a wee mention for David Wallace though. A 2 time HEC winner, Lions test player and consistantly one of the best backrowers in Europe over the past decade. He seems to be overshadowed at times by Heaslip, Ferris and now O'Brien but he's been consistantly one of Ireland best performers.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 14 Jul - 13:42

I am positive that after this world cup there will be some new legends and it would be wonderful to see Ireland up there in the Final. They are certainly capable of it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 14 Jul - 13:44

That hurt but I went for Teague Skinner and Winterbottom.

So far that has been the hardest one yet, there are some good combos there with some excellent stand out individual players.

Reeves was an absolute awesome player as was Swerve then likewise Shelford and Pienaar.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 14 Jul - 13:47

maestegmafia wrote:I am positive that after this world cup there will be some new legends and it would be wonderful to see Ireland up there in the Final. They are certainly capable of it.

Of course we are maestegmafia...but only in the sense that Andy Murray is capable of winning wimbledon...... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 14 Jul - 13:50

Man I'm staggered the 96-97 AB backrow wasn't mentioned.

Michael Jones, Josh Kronfeld and Zinzan Brooke. Each the best in the world in their positions. IMO they're an easy pick.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 14 Jul - 13:53

disneychilly wrote:Man I'm staggered the 96-97 AB backrow wasn't mentioned.

Michael Jones, Josh Kronfeld and Zinzan Brooke. Each the best in the world in their positions. IMO they're an easy pick.

Ha I knew there was one missing, I couldn't remember if those 3 played together. Yup thats the best, no doubt about it. In fact that All blacks team might just have been the best ever too.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Thu 14 Jul - 14:37

That was easy, I've never seen a poll so clear cut Very Happy

BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 14 Jul - 14:38

roddersm wrote:
disneychilly wrote:Man I'm staggered the 96-97 AB backrow wasn't mentioned.

Ha I knew there was one missing, I couldn't remember if those 3 played together. Yup thats the best, no doubt about it. In fact that All blacks team might just have been the best ever too.....
Just ask a moderator nicely and they may add it for you.

You are right that was a pretty awesome combo...!

Though not sure it was better than Jones, Whetton and Shelford...? I saw them play on the 1989 tour of the UK. Frightening spectacle.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 14 Jul - 14:39

BATH_BTGOG wrote: That was easy, I've never seen a poll so clear cut Very Happy

I am surprised that this is so clearcut, but I guess it reflects the average age of the members of the forum.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 14 Jul - 15:26

I've seen both backrows in the flesh. Reinforces my opinion that Michael Jones is the best player of all time.

I'd say Whetton wasn't the equal of Jones at 6-Buck at his pomp was Zinny's equal. Jones trumped Kronfeld but considering he was in the other team as well I'd say the 96-97 team takes it.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 14 Jul - 15:30

I think if there was a greatest ever individual back row player as opposed to a back row combo then Jones would be pretty near if not top of the tree.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 14 Jul - 18:13

Who decided that Reuben Thorne played in a unit with Zinny and Crusher Kronfeld? From memory Thorne appeared on the scene in 99, a year after Zinny retired from International rugby

Cleanse this list immediately!!!

Agree with Disney, by far the best backrow combo was the All Blacks in 96-97 with Iceman, Crusher and Zinny running amok. This list will continue to be considered a joke until Thorne is replaced by Jones!!!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Fri 15 Jul - 7:20

Tony Shaw/Mark Loane/Greg Cornelson

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 15 Jul - 8:20

Rob, forgive my ignorance, but you'll need to explain who they are?

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Fri 15 Jul - 8:29

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Rob, forgive my ignorance, but you'll need to explain who they are?

Braveheart

Wallabies backrow from early 1980 era - back in the days when tours took in 20 matches! Right when Ella brothers, andrew slack etc were breaking into the team. Loane and then Shaw were captains

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 15 Jul - 8:37

OK, got see the Ella bros playing at Murrayfield, but I confess that I don't remember that backrow trio Yikes Sorry They'd have played against the likes of Jim Calder, John Beattie, Iain Paxton, Eric Paxton, etc.?

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Fri 15 Jul - 9:09

Theres gotta be a combo in there including the great Jerry Collins!
Surely Jerry matched up with Ritchie and So'oialo must be in the mix somewhere!
Thats a loose forward trio that any team would love to have.
All bases covered!

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down