The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

weakened team rule removed

+4
Smirnoffpriest
funnyExiledScot
Crimey
Fernando
8 posters

Go down

weakened team rule removed  Empty weakened team rule removed

Post by Fernando Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:13 am

The Premier League has changed their rules on so-called 'weakened' teams.

Top-flight clubs will now be allowed to pick any player in their 25-man matchday squad without fear of sanction from the Premier League.

Last season Blackpool were fined £25,000 after manager Ian Holloway made 10 changes for a match at Aston Villa.

And in December 2009 Wolves were handed a suspended fine after boss Mick McCarthy rotated his squad for their game at Manchester United.

The 20 Premier League clubs agreed at their AGM in early June that any combination of players named in their registered 25-man squads will be able to start a match.

The head of communications at the Premier League Dan Johnson confirmed that all the clubs were in favour of the rule change.

The rule has not been totally withdrawn, and clubs will still be at risk of a fine if they select a number of younger players from outside their 25-man squad.

Last November, Blackpool drew 2-2 at home to Everton, before Holloway then made 10 changes to his starting line up for a match at Aston Villa four days later.

Blackpool lost the match at Villa Park 3-2, with Holloway giving six players their first start in the Premier League.

Holloway defended his selection, saying at the time: "I've got every right to do what I like. Who are they to tell me my players are not good enough?"

He added that the players brought in had cost the club a lot of money, some of whom were internationals.

After the Premier League studied Holloway's selection Blackpool were fined £25,000 in January for distorting the integrity of the competition, a fine they later appealed.

The Seasiders were relegated in May after an eventful debut season in the Premier League and a spokesman for the club welcomed the change to the rule.

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy made 10 changes to his team when playing against Manchester United at Old Trafford in December 2009. Wolves lost 3-0, but went on to beat Burnley in their next match, when nine players were recalled.

Wolves were handed a £25,000 suspended fine, a punishment that McCarthy accepted as a "deterrent" at a time when the 25-man squad rule was not in operation.

it's about time was a stupid rule why give teams a 25 man squad if could only pick 11 without being fined

source: bbc sport

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

weakened team rule removed  Empty Re: weakened team rule removed

Post by Crimey Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:40 am

Thankyou!

It was ridiculous rule in the first place.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:51 am

Exactly - a completely daft rule in this day and age. So many fixtures to juggle, and clubs need to be able to call upon their entire squad.

At last some sense.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:34 am

Good!

I can understand why it was there - so one team couldn't 'help' another by fielding their u17's or a ridiculously weakened side, and distort the league. But the way it was upheld was totally ridiculous as it was punishing smaller teams for making sensible rotation decisions and leaving the bigger clubs do what they wanted. Typical EFA madness...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:25 am

Agree with most people here
A stupid rule ,unfair as big clubs got away with it due to no. of internationals on books
If a squad of 25 is named any 11 from that is ok
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:39 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Good!

I can understand why it was there - so one team couldn't 'help' another by fielding their u17's or a ridiculously weakened side, and distort the league. But the way it was upheld was totally ridiculous as it was punishing smaller teams for making sensible rotation decisions and leaving the bigger clubs do what they wanted. Typical EFA madness...

Well i dont agree. Why have a 25 man squad available if you cant rotate your players? Paly your first XI week in week out? Not a chance. Stupid rule. Internationals or not, dont give clubs the choice then fine them for utilising the system!

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:53 pm

Thank god for that is all I'll say.

Was such a stupid, ridiculous rule!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:08 am

d260005p wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:Good!

Well i dont agree. Why have a 25 man squad available if you cant rotate your players? Paly your first XI week in week out? Not a chance. Stupid rule. Internationals or not, dont give clubs the choice then fine them for utilising the system!
I'm pretty sure he was saying it was a good idea to stop teams just playing youth players as a weakened side, but it was upheld stupidly when they punished teams for rotating players included in their 25 man squad.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ Legless Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:21 am

About time. I thought that was the reasons for picking a 25 man squad anyway.

Still seems poor that it was smaller clubs that were punished.

DJ Legless

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down