The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wasps' Stadium Plans Scrapped

+7
snoopster
Effervescing Elephant
doctor_grey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
beshocked
Cumbrian
11 posters

Go down

Wasps' Stadium Plans Scrapped Empty Wasps' Stadium Plans Scrapped

Post by Cumbrian Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/9146173.Stadium_project_axed/

PLANS for a stadium and sports village complex at Wycombe Air Park have been sensationally axed tonight.

Wycombe District Council leader Cllr Alex Collingwood, Deputy Cllr Arif Hussain, Cllr Audrey Jones and Cllr James Malliff put the brakes on the project.

It means Wycombe Sports Developments Ltd’s plan for a 17,500 capacity stadium and sports village at Booker is dead, as it stands tonight.

But just four Cabinet members were allowed to vote, due to the council’s code of conduct which prevents members with “personal or prejudicial interest” from voting.

It also meant cllrs who openly opposed the stadium in their canvassing for votes in May's elections were barred from casting their vote.

The 4-0 result was greeted with applause and roars of approval from the dozens of protesters from the Groups Against Stadium Proposals in the council chamber.

As it brings to an end GASP’s relentless protests, which culminated in hundreds of people marching through High Wycombe on Saturday.

Garry Nuttall, chairman of GASP, told the BFP he was “delighted” with the Cabinet’s ruling.

But pro-stadium supporters slumped out of the meeting with glum expressions.

It is also a blow to Steve Hayes, owner of Wycombe Wanderers and London Wasps, who just minutes before the crunch meeting, made a public empassioned plea to cllrs to approve the plans (see links).

The decision is set to be debated on Three Counties Radio tomorrow morning and has kicked off a huge debate on the BFP website and Twitter.

So, what now? Wasps to stay at Adams Park? Must admit, as a visiting fan, I hate the place. Perhaps a move back into London on the cards long term?

Last edited by Cumbrian on Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Knew that didn't look right!)
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Wasps' Stadium Plans Scrapped Empty Re: Wasps' Stadium Plans Scrapped

Post by beshocked Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:00 pm

I am little bit worried by this. Its shows that a bunch of Nimby's can crush a stadium bid with effortless ease.

Wasps should definitely not stay at Adams Park. Football grounds do not make good homes for rugby teams.

Wasps should definitely move back to London in the long term. It is no surprise that the rugby teams with their own stadiums like Exeter,Quins,Leicester and Saints have the healthiest crowds and commercial figures.

The problem is acquiring a stadium in London.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

beshocked, How about a groundshare with Sarries?! Whistle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:20 pm

beshocked wrote:I am little bit worried by this. Its shows that a bunch of Nimby's can crush a stadium bid with effortless ease.

Or perhaps it shows that it is possible to get a development blocked even when the council is packed with people who have a direct financial interest in seeing it go ahead. You could see it as democracy 1, corruption 0

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:21 pm

I agree that the shouldn't stay at AP. I know it sounds a bit hoity toity, but I like going to rugby grounds that have a bit about them, where I can got to a bars/ restaurant and get a drink/something to eat before and after the match without too much trouble. That's why I like the Rec, despite it's delapidated state.

Adams park is on the edge of an industrial estate. vomit
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:54 pm

aslongasbut100 we haven't got a ground of our own yet! We have a battle on our hands!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:05 pm

Cumbrian,
Not doubts one of the great things about going to watch the Rugby is having somewhere to go to share some conversation and have a bite and drink. This is the other thing which makes Adams Park a mistake from a Rugby point ovf view. And, to me, the "London Wasps" should play in, or at least near, London. Would also make it easier to draw people.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:12 pm

Makes me extremely thankful for all the work the Chiefs put in over the years. Couldn't imagine the carnage of having a Jeff match at the old county ground.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:20 pm

From what I've heard locally, it is a good thing it was blocked with all sorts of dodgy dealing by some of the people who wanted it to go through.

Bad for Wasps though - they badly need a better stadium to sort out their finances.

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:51 pm

Realistically speaking, what are Wasps' options? From what I've read on the supporters site they are really struggling because of Adams Park's limited capacity and undesirable location. I suppose this is reflected in the club's squad and on field aspirations. They seem a world away from the club I watched win the Heineken Cup in 2004 and 2007.

There seems a prevalent desire to move back into London, but there doesn't appear to be the finances to build a new stadium, so that means another ground share with a football club. There are plenty of them about, but they probably won't be too welcome at a premiership club or any club who has aspirations to play at that level. This probably rules out a return to Loftus Road.

Griffin Park (Brentford) could be an option, but it only has 2000 odd more seats than Adams Park. Some rugby (league) has been played there in the past though. It seems like Brentford are looking at building a new stadium 20,000 seater, if Wasps could be tenants at Griffin park when this decision is finally made, they could look to make the move with them.

Aside from that, I can't really see where else they can move and may be stuck. Seems to me like it is getting to be desperate times for the club...
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:36 pm

They are pretty stuck - as it stands they basically need a sugar daddy to come in and buy them a new ground and training facilities somewhere in north East London... but I don't see that happening any time soon.

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:33 pm

Crystal Palace maybe? Loads of potential catchment area, pubs available, and I think Palace want to build a new stadium on the site of the athletic stadium.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:42 am

Snoopster why in Northeast London? That's more Saracen's traditional hunting grounds. Also Saracens have the ongoing Barnet Copthall project.

Wasps have moved too far from where they were originally.

In my opinion Wasps should relocate to north west London. Easier said than done but Wasps need to become a London club again so they can sort out their finances.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:06 am

Ground share with Fulham, that way its only at the bottom of my road, which would be perfect
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:16 am

hughie1986 sharing with a football ground is never the best option surely?

Wasps need their own rugby stadium. How they do this and where they do it our other matters entirely?

At the moment I don't think it is possible for Wasps to move.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:40 am

At least with Wasps they are ground sharing with a football team that is owned by the same person. Neither are generating huge amounts of money, so you can see the sense in the continued agreement (to a certain extent).
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:43 am

Why don't they ground share with Glaws?
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:47 am

I would be careful what you wish for Bath_BTGOG, you may still end up ground sharing with Swindon... Whistle
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:56 am

I think we will anyway if the Rec Plans go ahead, unless Glaws want to help us out for a season???? boxing

The shed would look nice in blue black and white
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:00 am

Never!!

It took us a week to clear up the prawns and bottles of pinot grigio after your match against Worcester in the Amlin - never again!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:03 am

Don't forget all the fruit and veg that was wasted from all the Pimms Very Happy
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:09 am

That didn't go to waste, we fed it too our pigs Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:12 am

You guys have turned my thread into a riffing battle between the effeminate fops of Bath and the scroaty pig farmers of Gloucester, quit it! Very Happy
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:16 am

Go with the flow man
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:18 am

beshocked wrote:Snoopster why in Northeast London? That's more Saracen's traditional hunting grounds. Also Saracens have the ongoing Barnet Copthall project.

Wasps have moved too far from where they were originally.

In my opinion Wasps should relocate to north west London. Easier said than done but Wasps need to become a London club again so they can sort out their finances.

Oops! I said North East because I'm an idiot who forgets which side is East and which side is West Wink
Yes, to North West London is the right option for them... which I did mean despite my brain fart.

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:22 am

Honestly Cumbrian, I always liked you, but now I see you live in Bath with those aforementioned fops! Out of choice!

Anyway, who wants to talk about Wasps when you can enjoy West Country banter... Very Happy
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:24 am

If wasps keep moving west it won't be long before they're classed as a west country team.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:30 am

Maybe Wasps will beat you to Swindon?
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

they wouldn't fill it!
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:33 am

BATH_BTGOG wrote:If wasps keep moving west it won't be long before they're classed as a west country team.

I know back in the early 2000's they were looking at Oxford as a potential move. If they were to do this, they'd really have to drop the 'London' from their name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kassam_Stadium
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:47 am

Actually snoopster I get all mixed up myself! Saracens' hunting ground is actually north London (not east) - basically Enfield and looks like now Barnet. Obviously Hertfordshire too.

Don't know why I thought Enfield was more east than it is.

I have changed my mind - Wasps should move to west london.

Don't want them too close to Saracens.

The "London clubs" and their former locations,current locations,hunting grounds etc is a huge muddle.

I think a fair summary is:

Saracens represent North London and Hertfordshire.

London Wasps represent Buckinghamshire currently but used to be based in north west London I think. Their history is confusing in my opinion.

Harlequins represent west London

London Irish represent Surrey and according to wiki have never properly been in London.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

Wellington Wasps, Wells Wasps, Widdecombe Wasps, Whiddon-down Wasps. I like it! Get them bays doon ere, proper job!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm

beshocked wrote:Actually snoopster I get all mixed up myself! Saracens' hunting ground is actually north London (not east) - basically Enfield and looks like now Barnet. Obviously Hertfordshire too.

Don't know why I thought Enfield was more east than it is.

I have changed my mind - Wasps should move to west london.

Don't want them too close to Saracens.

The "London clubs" and their former locations,current locations,hunting grounds etc is a huge muddle.

I think a fair summary is:

Saracens represent North London and Hertfordshire.

London Wasps represent Buckinghamshire currently but used to be based in north west London I think. Their history is confusing in my opinion.

Harlequins represent west London

London Irish represent Surrey and according to wiki have never properly been in London.

I think Wasps weren't far off Wembly before they moved out.
The trouble is that when they were all based in London, there wasn't the need to attract a fan base there is now to support the club and keep it financially viable so there was a great deal of over lapping of catchment area with no one based in South London proper or East London (after all London Scottish, Welsh and Richmond were all in there as well) - Saracens are well placed to try to expand Eastwards though given Barnet's position.

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down