The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Pound-for pound, I'm way ahead of all the other British fighters, and I think people know that."

+5
BALTIMORA
d260005p
HumanWindmill
Scottrf
Union Cane
9 posters

Go down

"Pound-for pound, I'm way ahead of all the other British fighters, and I think people know that." Empty "Pound-for pound, I'm way ahead of all the other British fighters, and I think people know that."

Post by Union Cane Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:11 am

Having seen Amir Khan's claim that "Pound-for pound, I'm way ahead of all the other British fighters, and I think people know that.", I thought I would look further into it.

Technically, it turns out, his claim is true.

If we take 'pound for pound' in its literal sense, Khan at 140lbs is only 83% of the weight of Froch at 168lbs.

So, Khan only needs to be 83% as good as Froch to be his equal in pound for pound terms, or 84% to be considered better, which I think we would all agree he is.

To be considered better 'pound for pound' than Nathan Cleverley, he only needs to be at 80% of Cleverly's level, which again, can't really be argued against.

He only needs to be at 67% of David Haye's ability to be better 'pound for pound', again it goes without saying that he is at least that.

Is Khan 54% as good as Tyson Fury? Er, yep.

Britain's other World Champion, Ricky Burns at Super Feather, tips the scales at 130lbs, so to be 'pound for pound' better, Khan actually needs to be a better boxer than Burns, but only by around 8%, and again that he is is unquestionable.

So there we are, Khan is right to say that "Pound-for pound, I'm way ahead of all the other British fighters, and I think people know that.", and I have also shown that the P4P system is extremely biased towards lighter fighters.

Last edited by Union Cane on Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

"Pound-for pound, I'm way ahead of all the other British fighters, and I think people know that." Empty Re: "Pound-for pound, I'm way ahead of all the other British fighters, and I think people know that."

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:13 am

When are you going to do another reverse linear thread?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

"Pound-for pound, I'm way ahead of all the other British fighters, and I think people know that." Empty Re: "Pound-for pound, I'm way ahead of all the other British fighters, and I think people know that."

Post by Union Cane Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:20 am

Scottrf wrote:When are you going to do another reverse linear thread?

When the Prediction League is over, and we have a champion.

I will then be able to work backwards and the 'Reverse Linear Pound for Pound (Percentage Terms) 606v2 Prediction League Championship Title Theory' thread will be given to the world.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:21 am

It's a miserable day where I am ; grey and tippling down with rain. This thread made me laugh out loud and served as a perfect antidote.

Hats off to you, Sir !

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

My British P4P list goes like this:

1. Froch
2. Khan
3. Haye
4. Burns
5. Tyson Fury Very Happy

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 21 Jul 2011, 11:35 am

So...someone weighing 1lb has to be not even 1% as good as Khan?

Introducing the new p4p#1 of British boxers...grandma's ashes!!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Thu 21 Jul 2011, 3:34 pm

I guess Haye is p4p better than Wlad then.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 21 Jul 2011, 3:58 pm

It's a shame that Amir doesn't realise that being "Pound-for pound, I'm way ahead of all the other British fighters, and I think people know that." Also brings into effect ''i talk the biggist load of Poopie, i'm way ahead of all the other british fighters on talking Poopie, and i think people know that''. To gain respect you have to give respect and his mouth does nothing but disrespect his fellow boxers and opponents. I also wouldn't class him as the British P4P number 1 at the moment which makes it even worse, i hope Zab destroys him.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 21 Jul 2011, 3:59 pm

I'd like mad Zab to roll back the years - but that's cos I like mad Zab. Doubt he will though...
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:02 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:It's a shame that Amir doesn't realise that being "Pound-for pound, I'm way ahead of all the other British fighters, and I think people know that." Also brings into effect ''i talk the biggist load of Poopie, i'm way ahead of all the other british fighters on talking Poopie, and i think people know that''. To gain respect you have to give respect and his mouth does nothing but disrespect his fellow boxers and opponents. I also wouldn't class him as the British P4P number 1 at the moment which makes it even worse, i hope Zab destroys him.

How is he talking Poopie about other boxers? He has a great deal of self belief along with confidence and to survive at the top in this game you have to have that. Look at the likes of Mayweather, an Old Zab Judah, Nasim Hamed etc etc He may not be number 1 but if he thinks he is then fair enough.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:04 pm

d260005p wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:It's a shame that Amir doesn't realise that being "Pound-for pound, I'm way ahead of all the other British fighters, and I think people know that." Also brings into effect ''i talk the biggist load of Poopie, i'm way ahead of all the other british fighters on talking Poopie, and i think people know that''. To gain respect you have to give respect and his mouth does nothing but disrespect his fellow boxers and opponents. I also wouldn't class him as the British P4P number 1 at the moment which makes it even worse, i hope Zab destroys him.

How is he talking Poopie about other boxers? He has a great deal of self belief along with confidence and to survive at the top in this game you have to have that. Look at the likes of Mayweather, an Old Zab Judah, Nasim Hamed etc etc He may not be number 1 but if he thinks he is then fair enough.

He's deluded and disrespectful, always has been, does he think he's miles ahead of Carl Froch and David Haye.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:10 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
d260005p wrote:

He's deluded and disrespectful, always has been, does he think he's miles ahead of Carl Froch and David Haye.

I personally dont think he is ahead of either, but look at the way Haye talks etc and the Carl Froch of old. They dont get HALF as much stick as Amir does with the way they go about their self belief. And if you want to talk about "disrespect and diluded" look at Haye and his attack on the Klitshcko brothers and how he was going to unify the division

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:14 pm

I don't like the Carl Froch of old either - I only started to forgive Froch around Dirrell. All very well to chat about how great you are but if you don't fight anyone until you're 31 its not the most convincing case.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:20 pm

Amir has been doing it since he turned professional though while he spent his early career beating blown up superfeather's, Haye done it to secure a fight for the Heavyweight title, i don't see where i said Haye wasn't disrespectful either, i was talking about Amir, who is not British P4P number 1. That comment disrespects his fellow British boxers and not his opponent.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:23 pm

oxring wrote:I don't like the Carl Froch of old either - I only started to forgive Froch around Dirrell. All very well to chat about how great you are but if you don't fight anyone until you're 31 its not the most convincing case.

Agreed, i have more respect for him now also because i actually believe he thought he could beat Calzaghe and wasn't just after publicity. He does his talking in the ring now and is my British P4P number 1.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:43 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
oxring wrote:I don't like the Carl Froch of old either - I only started to forgive Froch around Dirrell. All very well to chat about how great you are but if you don't fight anyone until you're 31 its not the most convincing case.

Agreed, i have more respect for him now also because i actually believe he thought he could beat Calzaghe and wasn't just after publicity. He does his talking in the ring now and is my British P4P number 1.

Dont bring that case up on here! You will get thousands of Calzaghe haters banging on about how he ducked Froch lol Always the case. I agree though, Froch is P4P number 1. I used to hate the guy as did quite a few people, but in fairness he has had by far the hardest bunch of opponents in his last 7 fights or so with Taylor, Abraham, Dirrel, Johnson, Pascal and Kessler along with the soon to be Ward in October. Khan for me is number 3 as i said, but i still think he has every right to have his self belief and confidence. If he thinks he is number one thats up to him, it wont be long until he is if he carries out his plan to beat Judah, Bradley, Morales, Brook and then Mayweather/Pacman. Dont like how he says he will retire by the time he is 28 though, thats annoying.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:10 pm

Anyone want more ammo?

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/102021.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

"I've proved I've probably got one of the best chins in the boxing business"

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:18 pm

Scottrf wrote:Anyone want more ammo?

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/102021.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

"I've proved I've probably got one of the best chins in the boxing business"

That is good ammo like. Has his chin got better though or just his conditioning? I think he has a nails chin hahaha

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:30 pm

Team Khan could by now bring out a 'Colemanballs' style quote book in time for crimbo

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down