The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alvarez to fight on mayweather/ortiz undercard

3 posters

Go down

alvarez to fight on mayweather/ortiz undercard Empty alvarez to fight on mayweather/ortiz undercard

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 24 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

hot mexican WBC champion saul alvarez is set to fight alfonso gomez, as seen on the first contender episodes. he is a decent opponent, holding wins over manfredo jr, martin conception, castillo and was the man responsible for retiring gatti. both men share the same home town in mexico, so there is a lot of pride on the line.

alvarez is building up a decent CV, hatton, rhodes, n'dou, baldomir and jose cotto- however none of these are at the very top level, most just falling short. alvarez is young and will be gaining a wealth of experience fighting in these type of fights, however i feel that as a world champion you need to be fighting the best, and would like to see him look to unify one of the belts after this fight.

there's cotto, trout, bundrage and dzinziruk all holding titles in the division, as well as guys like lara and williams- all would be great fights and a good test for the young lad.

i think there is something there with alvarez, even if he is a little protected, he seems to have a decent chin, excellent workrate and conditioning, and good power and great combinations. of the 4 champions i only see cotto and bundrage giving him troubles but would actually back him to win all those fights.

your opinions please.....

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

alvarez to fight on mayweather/ortiz undercard Empty Re: alvarez to fight on mayweather/ortiz undercard

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 24 Jul 2011, 3:12 pm

Yeah some people are saying he's not world class yet because he hasn't faced brilliant opposition, which is the stupidest thing I have ever heard, he has a few good fringe world class opponents on his CV. But main point is he's very very young and trying to build a superstar by building him up slowly but keeping him active, he has somewhat of a padded record but with how dominant he has been in his performances over fringe world class operators I think it's clear to see that he is world class.
Gomez is ok but can only see a relatively one sided fight as Alvarez has looked better every fight, looked so sharp and the combinations were so fast against Rhodes and whenever he fancied stepping it up he did at will, he has fantastic skill and is very patient and clearly has a very good head on him. Still not 100% on his chin after seeing him rocked by a bit of a non puncher in Jose Cotto but has looked good in others but not been caught majorly so not sure.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

alvarez to fight on mayweather/ortiz undercard Empty Re: alvarez to fight on mayweather/ortiz undercard

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 24 Jul 2011, 3:39 pm

Oh and by the way at long last a big fight with a very good undercard!!! Full credit to Mayweather and Golden Boy Promotions!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sun 24 Jul 2011, 3:49 pm

I think this relates to the televised undercard as opposed to the MGM undercard?

Someone please correct me if I'm not wrong- will be in Vegas at the time really looking forward to this one!

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 24 Jul 2011, 3:50 pm

just been reading, alvarez is boxing at the staple centre in LA and mayweather is fighting in las vegas at the MGM grand, its a "split site pay per view", maybe this is something promoters should look at over here, sharing PPV.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 24 Jul 2011, 3:51 pm

Problem is they're too greedy and don't like sharing =/

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 24 Jul 2011, 4:32 pm

shame, its just the punters that lose out. i think it could happen in the future though, especially with matchroom and hennessy, they seem to be up for new idea's more than warren

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 24 Jul 2011, 4:34 pm

Hennessy has to look for other options can't be rolling in it in comparison to Warren he'll try every trick in the book to be able tof und his pork pie collection.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down