The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rumour Mill - Mayweather to fight at Cowboys Stadium?

+15
oxring
Colonial Lion
azania
Young_Towzer
Imperial Ghosty
coxy0001
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
HumanWindmill
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
D4thincarnation
John Bloody Wayne
manos de piedra
Scottrf
BALTIMORA
19 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Rumour Mill - Mayweather to fight at Cowboys Stadium? Empty Rumour Mill - Mayweather v Ortiz to fight at Cowboys Stadium?

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 03 May 2011, 4:57 pm

I can't-in fact I WON'T-vouch for the accuracy of this statement, because the site it's from is pretty bloody awful, although behind their terrible writing there's usually a nugget of truth. Anyway, link's here:

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2011/05/mayweather-to-fight-in-cowboys-stadium-by-end-of-summer-says-roger/#more-64787

Long story sport is that Roger Mayweather's apparently hinting at Floyd Jr fighting at the Dallas Cowboys stadium in late summer 2010. If true, the implications are obvious - pack the stadium more than a certain Filipino did, and restate your dominance as the so-called 'cash cow' of boxing.

Of course, uncle Roger could quite easily be saying something just to keep Floyd Jr's name in the media, but the other implication from this is that if Mayweather does fight at the Cowboys Stadium it's a clear precursor to setting the stage for a rubber match of negotiations, hopefully successful, between the Mayweathers and the representatives of the Filipino chap. I forget his name. Smile

Wait and see, eh?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Rumour Mill - Mayweather to fight at Cowboys Stadium? Empty Re: Rumour Mill - Mayweather to fight at Cowboys Stadium?

Post by Scottrf Tue 03 May 2011, 4:59 pm

Heard it before, but since then Mayweather's court date has been pushed back again. Wont happen.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Rumour Mill - Mayweather to fight at Cowboys Stadium? Empty Re: Rumour Mill - Mayweather to fight at Cowboys Stadium?

Post by manos de piedra Tue 03 May 2011, 5:02 pm

Summer 2010?

Summer 2013 would be a closer bet at the rate Mayweather is going.

Its basically the Summer now and as far as I know Mayweathers legal hearing has delayed until June. Doesnt give him enough time to fight in the Summer I would think. Especially if hes looking to sell out 100,000 stadium.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 03 May 2011, 5:03 pm

I'm just pasting what I read. I'm not sure the dates surrounding his legal appearances, but supposing he announces something in May, September wouldn't be entirely unrealistic.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 03 May 2011, 5:04 pm

Wasn't he meant to be fighting in South Africa on Mandela's birthday not long ago?

I'll believe when he's in there duckin and movin as always

Last edited by John Bloody Wayne on Tue 03 May 2011, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : your mother's thigh was blocking the keyboard)

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:04 pm

Mayweather will announce his on the day of the Pacquiao vs Mosley fight or afterwards, so they can avoid Pacquiao yet again.

Uncle Roger says Floyd needs another tune up, damm the guy needs more maintenance than a vintage car.

Talks of fighting Ortiz or Cotto.

Also is show that Mayweather is trying to follow in Pacquiao footsteps by fighting in Cowboys stadium, but I don't think he will be able to pack the stadium out though.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:06 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Summer 2010?

Summer 2013 would be a closer bet at the rate Mayweather is going.

Its basically the Summer now and as far as I know Mayweathers legal hearing has delayed until June. Doesnt give him enough time to fight in the Summer I would think. Especially if hes looking to sell out 100,000 stadium.

There was a joke last year, that the US would get Bin Laden before Mayweather signed to fight Pacquiao, guess that turned out to be true.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:09 pm

If Mayweather really want to fight Pacquiao and show he has a pair, he will be ringside in Vegas next weekend at the Pacquiao vs Mosley fight.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 03 May 2011, 5:10 pm

Rumours from a rotten website. His court date has been put back to June so won't happen this year. Mayweather loves Vegas can't see him fighting anywhere else.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 03 May 2011, 5:11 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:If Mayweather really want to fight Pacquiao and show he has a pair, he will be ringside in Vegas next weekend at the Pacquiao vs Mosley fight.

Why, are they expecting crowd trouble ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:13 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Rumours from a rotten website. His court date has been put back to June so won't happen this year. Mayweather loves Vegas can't see him fighting anywhere else.

The guy is training every day, why is a court date going to affect him so much. And the website is very good, and it's far from being a rumour, it is a Uncle Roger quote.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 03 May 2011, 5:13 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:If Mayweather really want to fight Pacquiao and show he has a pair, he will be ringside in Vegas next weekend at the Pacquiao vs Mosley fight.

What if he's busy?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 03 May 2011, 5:14 pm

Hes not selling 100,000 tickets either unless they are being given away for free.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 03 May 2011, 5:15 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Mayweather will announce his on the day of the Pacquiao vs Mosley fight or afterwards, so they can avoid Pacquiao yet again.

Uncle Roger says Floyd needs another tune up, damm the guy needs more maintenance than a vintage car.

After his court case and any training camp before a fight (if he ever puts the gloves on again, that is) he'll have been out of the ring for the best part of a year and a half - the same kind of lay off which you stated, over and over again, was a terrible handicap to Mosley when he fought Mayweather, and the primary reason for his toothless performance.

Stands to reason that you shouldn't, then, be so upset about Mayweather wanting a tune up after such a long spell out of action. Wouldn't want him facing Pacquiao in anything other than tip-top shape, would we?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:16 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:

I think Mayweather will be to embarrassed to be there. He was out at the Ortiz vs Berto, but I very much doubt he will be at this fight. The crowd will boo him more and will ask him why isn't he fighting Pacquiao, and he will not want Pacquiao to walk over to him to say hello.

Mayweather will be getting the fight on PPV.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 03 May 2011, 5:16 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Rumours from a rotten website. His court date has been put back to June so won't happen this year. Mayweather loves Vegas can't see him fighting anywhere else.

The guy is training every day, why is a court date going to affect him so much. And the website is very good, and it's far from being a rumour, it is a Uncle Roger quote.

You were the one yesterday that said Corrales legal situation was one of the major factors in Floyd beating him.
He doesn't want to discuss boxing until the legal stuff is out of the way he could go to prison for a long time.
Roger and Floyd Snr talk more s**t than Floyd Jnr wouldn't pay much attention to them tbh.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 03 May 2011, 5:16 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:

D4, even by your standards that's a pretty idiotic thing to say; that website is utterly dreadful. It's also incredibly anti-Pacquiao, so I'm guessing you haven't actually visited it much. The quote is most likely accurate, but given how poor that site has been in the past, I'm not willing to vouch for it's reliability. Hence 'rumour mill'.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 03 May 2011, 5:18 pm

Look windy can you kick him off the next time the guy say's...

"when he grows a pair"...."Coward" or "ducker"...

Because I'm really getting sick of reading the same crud and I'm sure I'm not the only one!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:19 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:Mayweather will announce his on the day of the Pacquiao vs Mosley fight or afterwards, so they can avoid Pacquiao yet again.

After his court case and any training camp before a fight (if he ever puts the gloves on again, that is) he'll have been out of the ring for the best part of a year and a half - the same kind of lay off which you stated, over and over again, was a terrible handicap to Mosley when he fought Mayweather, and the primary reason for his toothless performance.

Stands to reason that you shouldn't, then, be so upset about Mayweather wanting a tune up after such a long spell out of action. Wouldn't want him facing Pacquiao in anything other than tip-top shape, would we?

I couldn't really care what shape Mayweather turn up in, when Pacquiao beat him we will hear excuses no matter what.

Mayweather has chose to stay inactive, it has nothing to do with a court case. Or don't you remember when he said he wanted to take a year or two out to spend with his family and doing charity work?

Not sure he been doing much of either.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 03 May 2011, 5:21 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

I think Mayweather will be to embarrassed to be there. He was out at the Ortiz vs Berto, but I very much doubt he will be at this fight. The crowd will boo him more and will ask him why isn't he fighting Pacquiao, and he will not want Pacquiao to walk over to him to say hello.

Nice to have the inside information. Thanks.

Say Hi to Floyd for me next time you two speak.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 03 May 2011, 5:22 pm

Perhaps he's going to offer Mosley a rematch when he KOs Pacquiao inside four...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:23 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

D4, even by your standards that's a pretty idiotic thing to say; that website is utterly dreadful. It's also incredibly anti-Pacquiao, so I'm guessing you haven't actually visited it much. The quote is most likely accurate, but given how poor that site has been in the past, I'm not willing to vouch for it's reliability. Hence 'rumour mill'.

I thought is was another site, don't really use that site much. But I've seen the same story on other sites, and it comes from a Uncle Roger quote.

So it is a matter of how much faith you put in Uncle Roger's words.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 03 May 2011, 5:25 pm

Which site did you see it on? Maybe if it's being reported a few places there's some slight credence to it.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 03 May 2011, 5:25 pm

For someone that hates Mayweather..you seem to know everything about him....

A bit like that girl at high you tell your mates you don't like when you really fancy the butt off her....

The lady doth protest too much me thinks..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 03 May 2011, 5:27 pm

D4

One minute you say his win over Chico is tainted (or void in your eyes) because of the latters legal woes, then go onto say :

why is a court date going to affect him so much

Do you not wonder why your views are met with disdain and utter contempt?

Seriously, do us a favour and just go. Luckily we'll be rid of you once Pacquiao retires, 'coz u ain't got **** else to talk about.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:27 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Just using my powers of deduction.

3 possibilities.

He watches the fight on PPV.
He goes to fight to watch it.
He doesn't watch the fight at all.

Floyd will want to see the fight, but he not willing to be that close to Pacquiao when he has no answers for him.
So he the only option left is for him to watch at home on PPV, well he might try to stream it, the cheap skate.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:29 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Which site did you see it on? Maybe if it's being reported a few places there's some slight credence to it.

http://www.boxingscene.com/r-mayweather-floyd-jr-return-fight-this-year--38740

IMO best boxing site on the internet.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 03 May 2011, 5:30 pm

Maybe the powers at be can lock this thread??????

Because it's going the same way as the others.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:30 pm

coxy0001 wrote:D4

One minute you say his win over Chico is tainted (or void in your eyes) because of the latters legal woes, then go onto say :

Seriously, do us a favour and just go. Luckily we'll be rid of you once Pacquiao retires, 'coz u ain't got **** else to talk about.

It was Chico being weight drain and surviving on a grapefruit a day than raised my concerns over that fight.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 03 May 2011, 5:30 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Just using my powers of deduction.

3 possibilities.

He watches the fight on PPV.
He goes to fight to watch it.
He doesn't watch the fight at all.

Floyd will want to see the fight, but he not willing to be that close to Pacquiao when he has no answers for him.
So he the only option left is for him to watch at home on PPV, well he might try to stream it, the cheap skate.

Well, you have no more idea than anybody else, so we'll just leave that, shall we ? Likewise, your ' powers of deduction ' are too easily distorted by your emotions, so I'm afraid nobody will be inclined to regard them as authoritative.

So :

Do we know who the proposed opponent is ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 03 May 2011, 5:31 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:

It was Chico being weight drain and surviving on a grapefruit a day than raised my concerns over that fight.

Allegedly.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:32 pm

"He will. Yeah, he will come back this year," Roger told me and my colleague Sabrina Montez. "I don't know when, probably by end of summer it will be his next fight. He's got a deal with, what's his name, Jim Jones, Jerry Jones? I mean, he's planning on resuming his career."

Jerry Jones of course is the owner and general manager of the Dallas Cowboys franchise and last year put his gigantic Cowboys Stadium into the boxing headlines by staging Manny Pacquiao's ring conquests against Joshua Clottey and Antonio Margarito in the stadium. Roger confirmed that Floyd has his eye on the same venue for a potential bout of his own.

"That's where he's going to fight," said Roger.

For the past few years Mayweather has been linked to Pacquiao in a fight that would be one of the biggest in the sport's history. But Roger says that Floyd would be eyeing a tune up first and said it would have to be someone with a name, even mentioning the likes of newly-crowned WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz and Puerto Rico's Miguel Cotto in recent weeks.

It's no secret that many insiders feel Mayweather is full of jealousy after seeing Pacquiao snatch the pound-for-pound mantle that he held for many years. Hearing rumors of Floyd fighting in Cowboys Stadium instantly make you wonder if he would be trying to upstage Pacquiao, who drew pay-per-view draws of 700,000 and 1.15 million for his bouts with Clottey and Margarito, respectively, while drawing over 40,000 partisans each time out.

http://www.boxingscene.com/r-mayweather-floyd-jr-return-fight-this-year--38740

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 03 May 2011, 5:33 pm

Cotto or Ortiz, so the articles mention.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:33 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

Allegedly.

According to Chico himself, in an interview he one gave.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 03 May 2011, 5:34 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:

You have no proof of this and you did use his legal situation as a factor in Floyd beating him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 03 May 2011, 5:35 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

Allegedly.

For which you were asked to provide a link.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 03 May 2011, 5:37 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Cotto or Ortiz, so the articles mention.

Thanks, BALTI.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 03 May 2011, 5:37 pm

Sounds like an excuse to me D4 you will probably find Chico was saying he had a great camp before the fight. Best of his career the usual nonsense.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 03 May 2011, 5:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maybe the powers at be can lock this thread??????

Because it's going the same way as the others.

Don't worry, Truss. It won't go there.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:38 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

Allegedly.

For which you were asked to provide a link.

I'll try and find the link and do an article about it later.

But back to the topic at hand.

It seems as it is a more than a rumour and Floyd has already had talks with Jerry Jones, but by rulling out Pacquiao again but putting forwards names such as Ortiz and Cotto it plain to see the league the Mayweathers put Pacquiao in.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 03 May 2011, 5:38 pm

Anyway, as you asked Windy, the proposed opponents were Ortiz and Cotto.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 03 May 2011, 5:39 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:According to Chico himself, in an interview he one gave.

My powers of deduction tell me that this is nonsense, and possibly a case of sour grapefruits.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 03 May 2011, 5:39 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:

Taken directly from the 'Floyd's fall from grace' thread, comments by D4 on why Corrales lost (because it was nothing to do with Mayweather simply being better than him).

"Corrales was severely, weight drained, it was his last fight at 130lbs had problems with his management, his personal life and the fight was rushed ahead. He knew he would be in prison also."

"It is not garbage though. Corrales did struggle with the weight, he was facing prison"

Once more, D4 reduced to bare-faced lies in an attempt to hide his hypocrisy. The legal issues and court cases were an excuse for Corrales, but can't be for Floyd.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 03 May 2011, 5:40 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Anyway, as you asked Windy, the proposed opponents were Ortiz and Cotto.

Got it, BALTI. Thanks.

So, how do we reckon Floyd v Ortiz or Cotto would pan out ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 03 May 2011, 5:46 pm

Good question. When everyone thought Ortiz was a light welter they'd have scoffed at the possibility of this fight, but it seems Ortiz was pretty hefty in the ring with Berto.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 03 May 2011, 5:46 pm

Chris, i think i may have to go down the pub to get away from D4 and his contradictory rubbish.

He really isn't very smart, says one thing one day then completely contradicts himself the next. I've given up hope that he learn the art of objectivity, sadly he can't see the meaning of the word for white stuff in his biased little eyes.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 5:46 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:Anyway, as you asked Windy, the proposed opponents were Ortiz and Cotto.

Got it, BALTI. Thanks.

So, how do we reckon Floyd v Ortiz or Cotto would pan out ?

Ortiz is an aggressive, big puncher, but lack experience and guile. Leaves him self open for that straight counter right, which Berto put him down a few time and what Floyd uses a lot. Floyd on points.

The Cotto fight would have to happen at light-middle, so Floyd could move up knowing that Manny has said he won't fight there again. Cotto is a come forward aggressive fight too but has a lot of ring experience a great jab fast hands. Could be a tricky one. Miguel may take this one by a UD.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 03 May 2011, 5:47 pm

One sided schooling, realistically don't see Ortiz or Cotto winning a round and wouldn't be surprised if Mayweather stopped Ortiz any time after the 6th.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 03 May 2011, 5:48 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
The Cotto fight would have to happen at light-middle, so Floyd could move up knowing that Manny has said he won't fight there again.

That's your first attempt to disrupt this. Make it your last.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 03 May 2011, 5:53 pm

Supposing Floyd did move up to light-middle, and beat Cotto there decisively, that'd clearly exceed the last person who beat Cotto.

Anyway, realistically; points on both counts. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him do good numbers at the Cowboys Stadium, although can't see Cotto being his opponent. I doubt uncle Bob would like that.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next