The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather-Ortiz is a 50/50 pick 'em fight

+13
Scottrf
AlexHuckerby
samevans1
ian_jamsie
J.Benson II
captain carrantuohil
WelshDevilRob
Young_Towzer
HumanWindmill
TRUSSMAN66
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
hitmansam
17 posters

Go down

Mayweather-Ortiz is a 50/50 pick 'em fight Empty Mayweather-Ortiz is a 50/50 pick 'em fight

Post by hitmansam Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:54 pm

There's some out there who regard this as a tune-up fight for Floyd, but Victor has every chance of running Floyd close - and even beating him!

Floyd will be the obvious betting favourite but 8-1 is ridiculous.

One fight you have to look at is Mayweather-Judah, a fight in which most spectators had Judah winning the first 5-rounds.

Floyd struggled with Judah's southpaw stance and speed. Floyd took over the fight when Judah tired. Don't forget, Judah had Mayweather down!

Well Victor is a fast southpaw who is a bigger and stronger welterweight than Judah. And he'll keep the pace up.

Put it this way; Victor will be competitive.

Don't be surprised if it's a close fight.

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Mayweather-Ortiz is a 50/50 pick 'em fight Empty Re: Mayweather-Ortiz is a 50/50 pick 'em fight

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:12 pm

Couldn't disagree more, unfortunately. A 50-50, pick 'em fight suggests that each fighter is of the same class, and that each stands as good a chance as the other of winning. When it comes to Mayweather versus Ortiz, this is patently not the case.

As I mentioned yesterday, Ortiz has one performance behind him which suggests that he's a top, top operator at world level - the Berto fight. Say what you like about him, but Mayweather has inumerable performances behind him which bolster his credentials. This is a tune up fight, make no mistake. Ortiz is beatable, and the performance which beat Berto won't be anywhere near good enough to beat Mayweather.

Simply put, Ortiz isn't Judah. He may have a decent work rate and has now proven that he can dig deep, but he's a million miles away from having the blurring hand speed of Zab. I don't read too much in to the old southpaw myth; the simple solution to a good left hander is a great right hander, and it wouldn't have made a difference whether Judah was a southpaw or not. It was his hand speed and lateral movement which gave Mayweather something to think about early doors, not the fact that he leads with his right hand.

I've said from the off that Ortiz will come to fight, will pressure whenever he can and will give a good account of himself, but he's going to lose a wide, wide decision here unless the lay off has seriously got to Mayweather and he's grown old over night, as they say. Ortiz, for all his gusto, simply throws too many wide punches, leaves himself far too open for the counter and runs out of ideas too easily to pose all that much of a threat to Mayweather. Come the second half of the fight it will probably be target practice for Mayweather.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Mayweather-Ortiz is a 50/50 pick 'em fight Empty Re: Mayweather-Ortiz is a 50/50 pick 'em fight

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:16 pm

It will be close, but floyd knows how to nick rounds. Mayweather has improved since Judah. Although Ortizay have more stamina and power than Judah, the thing that was beating Floyd was judahs speed. Judah in his prime is thought by many to have the quickest hands of all time. He throws his shots at better angles, throws better combos and ist as open as he throws them. Mayweather can figure out oriz imo around round 4. Ortiz is very open to counter shots and his chin isn't great so he may hit the canvas, not particularly hurt, which won't help him with the scoring.

The fact that mayweather is very smart, he knows Ortiz is very beatable and thts why he took the fight I'm the first place.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:19 pm

A pickem fight????....Is this guy for real...

We've got a guy who has never lost and retains a high skill threshold against a guy that got slapped off Marcos Maidana and nearly got stiffed winning the title....

Is Mayweather your new Calzaghe type hate figure.

Give it a rest...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:46 pm

Jack, you know I can't leave that one up.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:47 pm

We've got a guy who has never lost and retains a high skill threshold against a guy that got slapped off Marcos Maidana and nearly got stiffed winning the title....
Ortiz would destroy Maidana now, he showed a daft lack of experience, and immaturity. What do you mean about stiffed as well? not being funny but you must just not like him, he battered Berto and outfought him, survived 2 huge knockdowns to shut any doubts about his chin right up and played his part in a fight of the year.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

Victor will be competitive but its not a 50/50 fight.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:00 pm

Victor will be competitive but its not a 50/50 fight.
Agree there, i think its a 75/25 in Mayweather's favour. Ortiz hasn't boxed at Mayweather's level, and isn't a p4p', also hasn't got past Maidana @ the weight below so the bookies, neutrals will obviously have Mayweather a huge favourite. However, i don't think fighting 2 times in 4 years and inactivity will help, i don't think any amount of sparring prepares you for 12 rounds of boxing when you aint boxed for well over a year as well. Ortiz can stop him if he hurts and jumps on him imo though, and at 8/1 i will definitely be backing Ortiz, more hope than expectation though.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:01 pm

You honestly think the way to beat Mayweather is to jump on him...

Mayweather is a better version of Starling.....He loves pressure fighters.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:03 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:Victor will be competitive but its not a 50/50 fight.
Agree there, i think its a 75/25 in Mayweather's favour. Ortiz hasn't boxed at Mayweather's level, and isn't a p4p', also hasn't got past Maidana @ the weight below so the bookies, neutrals will obviously have Mayweather a huge favourite. However, i don't think fighting 2 times in 4 years and inactivity will help, i don't think any amount of sparring prepares you for 12 rounds of boxing when you aint boxed for well over a year as well. Ortiz can stop him if he hurts and jumps on him imo though, and at 8/1 i will definitely be backing Ortiz, more hope than expectation though.

Yeah he's a very live underdog for the reasons you stated. He's also an improving fighter. he'll bring alot more energy than Mosley did.

I might have a cheeky bet on Ortiz. Very Happy

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:06 pm

Don't bet more than you can afford to lose..

Wins one fight, gets staggered and is on the brink in the said fight..

and all is forgiven....

Nothing as crazy as boxing folk!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Sat 11 Jun 2011, 8:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Don't bet more than you can afford to lose..

and all is forgiven....

Have won plenty on Boxing. Thank you Gavin Rees and Bredis Prescott. Very Happy

A cheeky bet is just that - a small amount on an upset. Upsets do happen you know - ask Buster Douglas.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by hitmansam Sat 11 Jun 2011, 9:40 pm

Perhaps 60/40 then, but Victor is a live underdog and I wouldn't be surprised if he gave Mayweather a close fight - and even put him down! Victor will show that Mayweather is not unbeatable.

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:00 pm

hitmansam wrote:Perhaps 60/40 then, but Victor is a live underdog and I wouldn't be surprised if he gave Mayweather a close fight - and even put him down! Victor will show that Mayweather is not unbeatable.

We don't think hes Unbeatable, he is just better than everyone at 147lbs down and pacquiao is the only fighter who could beat him atm based on current ability

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:17 pm

Mayweather is a better version of Starling.....He loves pressure fighters.
Mayweather's nothing at all like Starling, Moochie liked to graft and get forward throwing blistering combinations, and as seen in the Breland fight he brawled his way to a win, also battered Honeyghan by coming forward throughout the fight with great defence, yes i do to think beating Mayweather is by pressuring him, what do you expect to do sit off him?. Forward with combinations and plenty of movement. He aint unbeatable, that's an opinion though, Danny Garcia will no doubt try pressure and outworking him imo for Victor, he won't tell Ortiz to outbox him, saying outbox Mayweather is like saying outbrawl Hatton in his prime. Mayweather better than Starling as well? do me a favour.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:22 pm

Don't bet more than you can afford to lose..

and all is forgiven....

It is a funny old game Trussman, but i think Victor deserves a lot of credit for taking on Mayweather in his first defence. Even if he is getting a career high payday, he could of tackled the Bailey, Zavecks, Gomez' of the WW div

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:30 pm

Mayweather comfortably better than Starling by any measurement you like. Marlon a fine technician, possibly an underrated one, but come on, anyone who can drop a decision to folk like Vilella and Bumphus can't be classed anywhere near the all-time greats. Floyd may not be an all-time great welter (yet), but he's done enough to be rated above Marlon, I'm afraid.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm

Mayweather comfortably better than Starling by any measurement you like. Marlon a fine technician, possibly an underrated one, but come on, anyone who can drop a decision to folk like Vilella and Bumphus can't be classed anywhere near the all-time greats. Floyd may not be an all-time great welter (yet), but he's done enough to be rated above Marlon, I'm afraid.
/////////////////////////////////////
Didn't Arguello lose to Jorge Reyes, Espinoza, Amaya? who are them fighters ? is Arguello a great? definitely.

Marlon was at his best against Breland, Honeyghan, on that night he beats Mayweather imo. He was robbed against Molinares as well, he had boxed brilliant on that night, also Curry would of beat him imo. I would rate Mayweather as a great, but also Moochie, and i think Starling would of beat him, these guys from the 80s would fight anyone, anywhere and were superb technicians themselves.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:47 pm

Now you're being silly. Arguello lost to them before he'd even turned 20. He boxed for his first world title just two years later and lost that too, but his subsequent list of victims from his (extremely lengthy) prime leaves no doubt about his status.

Starling lost to nobodies after he lost twice to Curry, ie pretty much in the middle of his prime years. I'm not counting the Molinares farce, but basically, we're looking at a win against Breland and one against Honeyghan as his great nights. Not H of F worthy, by any means. We can only speculate about the head to head result between Marlon and Floyd. Personally, I suspect a stinker even worse than Starling-Nunn at 160, and one which would barely have filled a medium-sized auditorium. I also suspect that Floyd would have won a comfortable enough decision, but that's just my opinion.

Don't for God's sake go comparing Starling with Arguello, though. The greatest super-feather ever, a top 20 feather and just about that at light....77-8 is better than 42-6 (or whatever it ended up as) statistically, but it's about so much more than stats in this case that the difference is eye-watering.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:55 pm

Wasn't Honeyghan the man at ww in 89? mmm thought so
Wasn't Breland an unbeaten olympian touted for the very top?? mmm again thought so

I respect your opinion 100%, but think the Magic Man beats him

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:01 pm

Yes and yes to both your questions, but it still seems thin evidence on which to construct a case that Moochie would beat Floyd.

With the benefit of hindsight, we know that Breland was a far better amateur than pro. We also know what we did at the time, that Honeyghan had for some reason changed from the smart boxer-puncher style that gained him all his success into someone who thought he was a KO artist. In each case, Marlon could do no more than win decisively (although he was a mile behind Breland when stopping him in their first fight), and he deserves credit for it. While also respecting your opinion, I'm bound to say that I can't see how Starling would have beaten Floyd.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:09 pm

I like Ortiz but no way is this a 50/50 fight.

I think its a very smart and shrewd move by Mayweather and reminds me somewhat of the Hatton fight.

Ortiz is currently riding a wave of popularity and is a marketable name. At the same time, he is also very beatable and is possibly being over-rated by many fans.
Other than Berto, he hasnt really beaten anyone of note....and I've always said that Berto is just a speedster with average ability.

Ortiz has some advantages. He's big, powerful and a strong starter. However, he is also open, wild and somewhat reckless.

I actually would argue that he's tailor made for a boxer like Mayweather.

The first 4 rounds may be 50/50. After that, PBF wins at a canter.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:14 am

There is huge skill gap. Floyd is 10 times the fighter.

Ortiz is at his best when he draws fighters into a war.

Can you honestly see him doing that with Money Mayweather.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:12 am

Mayweather beats Starling the Captain is right....Starling struggled making the fight....

As for Breland-Starling he was a long way behind when he knocked
Mark out....

Always thought that the guy who beats Floyd has a great jab, height advantage and is quite cunning...

Love to see Manny vs Marlon though..Guys like Manny were made for Starling like I think he'll be made for Mayweather..

May/Starl were great at turning defence into attack..

Captain right though...Floyd is a cut above..

Marlon was lazy sometimes but usually when motivated pretty deadly..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:21 am

Ortiz will eat right hand counters for round after round.

His aggression might cause some problems for a while; but Floyd will win going away and might even stop him late.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:24 pm

I don't feel that you can ever say it's impossible, but it's going to take one hell of a performance, or catch Floyd cold. (As if)

Floyd will be at his sparkling best in my opinion, he'll shock everyone at how fast and how sharp he's going to be, it's plainly obvious.

HOWEVER does this mean Ortiz is going to stand no chance? HELL TO THE NO. The man can clearly punch and can fight macho and will be able to walk through most shots, it just depends on whether after eating a quick straight right or a perfectly thrown jab that he can put Floyd into positions he doesn't want to be in, tied on the ropes but with Ortiz not being too close so he can't tie up. Problem is there's a chance that this might happen if you don't confuse him by going to the body and throwing different punches at different angles otherwise this will be happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4jhY_v80U skip to 2:00 and you will see what I mean.

However Mayweathers been tagged by a guy who probably wasn't quite as fast as Ortiz is at this moment in time. HOWEVER! Having probably contributed 50% of the views to this Youtube Video I have come to the conclusion that Mayweather switched off for a second against Mosley, brain just didn't click into gear and dropped both hands to defend the jab and got tagged with a straight right. The right hurt him and that is what caused the second shot he became uncharacteristic of the Mayweather we're used to seeing. He wasn't too sure of how to react once actually getting caught and this shouldn't really be suprising considering he's not used to taking clean punches, especially a flush one with someone with one punch Knockout power. He came forward without throwing punches looked stunned and suprised and seemed to want to catch a punch right back, appeared to panic slightly and this lead to a second huge right hand, how many times do you see Floyd leading with a swinging left hook? A couple of strong body shots in between showing there is a way in! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhnRO9NeXFI However you might have just to hope that Floyd has a lapse in concentration...

The man is near perfection defensively but if one good left does go in with good power then he HAS to make the most of it, this is PIVITAL, Mosley seemed to think he could do that again, but Floyd made the necessary adjustments to turn it around however I don't think it was more him turning it around with major adjustments he just seemed more switched on, it shook him up, however I don't believe he would have been as aggressive as he was actually attacking a lot and coming forward so if Ortiz lands... Could he open Mayweather up more giving him a better chance? We shall see...

Last edited by AlexHuckerby on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:28 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to put the link in :))

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioqKu_gmKMY&feature=player_embedded

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:49 pm

of the views to this Youtube Video I have come to the conclusion that Mayweather switched off for a second against Mosley, brain just didn't click into gear and dropped both hands to defend the jab and got tagged with a straight right.
Mosley was setting the punch up rattling his right hand off the jab shaking it cobra like, you could see he was setting it up imo. However Mayweather never seen it, and if Ortiz lands flush as that, i have absolutely no doubt whatsoever he'll stop Mayweather, i doubt he will though.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 17 Jun 2011, 1:55 pm

Except that Ortiz' power shot is his left. And that he's vulnerable to the straight right hand. Unless Floyd has slipped (and for the record, he has a bit but not that much) it could be a painful night for vicious Victor. I'll be supporting Ortiz, anyway.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:04 pm

OK, for it to be a 50/50 fight it would suggest that if they fought twice it would be 1-1.

For me if they fought 10 times Ortiz may get lucky.

Ortiz may be a good fighter but Mayweather is in another league.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:05 pm

The only thing wrong with this fight is that if anything, it's likely to push Manny and Roach even further away from Floyd than before. The clinic Floyd puts on against Ortiz will have fans begging for the Manny match-up to be made but there will be some very sweaty palms and nervous shuffling of feet in Manila.

You never know, Floyd have have to tone it down and make himself look vulnerable in order to sucker Manny into signing...just can't see it happening though!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:46 pm

I must give credit to Mayweather for this fight, Ortiz is young and hungry, and looked just as good if not better in his last outing, than before the Maidana defeat, should be good.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sat 18 Jun 2011, 5:17 am

I can only see a one sided Mayweather victory in this one.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:28 pm

If Ortiz is 8-1 I will certainly give it a shot. It will be the ffight of his life and he will give it everything. Add to that Mayweather has been out for a while. I would certainly make Mayweather favourite, but just maybe he will have slipped a bit.

In saying that, I have thought the same before every recent Mayweather fight, with the outcome always being a one sided masterclass.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down