The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The UFA and Free Agent thread.

+19
FrobisherO
Colan (niner)
BamBam
El Capitan
Leedscowboys
twelve283
Thomond
Virgil_Caine
skins4ever
Derbyblue
thunder and lightning
TheBrownTown
GB1919
arizona_tom
RDuncan8
crazy_dave23
CFCNick
GSC
Pr4wn
23 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The UFA and Free Agent thread. - Page 3 Empty The UFA and Free Agent thread.

Post by Pr4wn Tue 26 Jul 2011, 5:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Please post any free agent news on this easy-to-find thread!

First item, Mark Herzlich has apparently signed with the Giants.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

The UFA and Free Agent thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: The UFA and Free Agent thread.

Post by CFCNick Fri 29 Jul 2011, 6:26 am

Saints signed Darren Sproles to a $14m ($6m guaranteed) 4 year deal

Panthers re-sign Jon Beason to a $50m ($25m guaranteed) 5 year extension. Highest paid ILB ever.

Falcons signed Julio Jones, Akeem Dent and Jacquizz Rodgers

Eagles agree 1 year deal with Vince Young. To be signed later today.

Bucs reach agreements with RG Davin Joseph (7 years), RT Jeremy Trueblood (2 years) and P Michael Koenen (6 years).

Houston sign Jonathan Joseph

Seahawks reach agreement with former Cardinals DT Alan Branch on a two-year, $8 million deal that includes $4 million guaranteed.

Texans sign Danieal Manning.

Bears expected to sign Roy Williams (DAL)

Last edited by Manning-to-Manningham on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

The UFA and Free Agent thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: The UFA and Free Agent thread.

Post by CFCNick Fri 29 Jul 2011, 6:35 am

Patriots sign 3rd-round draft pick RB Stevan Ridley & 7th-round pick DB Malcolm Williams

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:49 am

Anyone else struggling to keep up with everything? I'm not complaining though, this is great.

Daryn Colledge has left the Packers and signed with the Cardinals on a 5 year $28M contract with $8M guaranteed. Not particularly disappointed by this as I only ever saw him as a slightly above average OL and would not have wanted us to give him that kind of money.

Jason Spitz has returned home to Jacksonville on a 2 year deal. Again happy to see him gone as he was inconsistent and rarely used.

Brandon Jackson will be backing up Hillis at Cleveland on a two year $4.5M deal. Slightly more disappointed by this one as Jackson is a very solid third down back with very dependable hands. Having said that the move was obvious as we had drafted Green and have picked up a couple of UFA running backs. Hopefully he'll do really well for the Browns though.

Mason Crosby has been signed to a 5 year $14.75M deal. Delighted, a really solid kicker who was making franchise record kicks for us last year.

We have also cut Nick Barnett, Brady Poppinga and Justin Harrell. Not particularly disappointed by any of those.

Thoughts on other big moves:

Houston signing Jonathan Joseph is a fantastic move. Younger and cheaper than Asomugha and is an immediate upgrade on what they have showing that they didn't need to break for Nnamdi. Jets fans hoping to sign Nnamdi should be pretty happy with this news.

The Patriots are trying their usual tactic of picking up good players with some problems on the cheap and there is more of a possibility that they could work out than if they were at another club. Haynesworth in particular has given himself a great chance to turn his career around. I wonder though whether having so many big/disruptive personalities together could backfire...Ocho, Fat Al and Mallett all coming in at the same time.

The VY deal works for everyone. The Eagles now have their insurance in case Vick gets hurt and they can use the same playbook for both QBs. Vince gets a chance to show he is mature enough to be QB2 and not complain while still likely to get minutes/full games. He knows it is only a one year deal and can go elsewhere and be a starter if he can prove himself again.

Reggie Bush to the Dolphins is a good fit but I'm a bit surprised that the Saints brought in Sproles given the running options they already have.

The NFC North has got slightly easier with McNabb coming in and if the Vikings pair him up with James Jones they'll have a QB who can't hit his receivers and a WR who can't catch the football. Deadly.Sidney Rice leaving is also great for the Packers and equally good for the Seahawks, especially if they start Jackson as I imagine they already have a good knowledge of each others game. Olsen leaving the Bears is also good to hear from a Packers point of view as I think he is a really underrated TE, and the Panthers pairing him with Shockey have done well.

Even with all that I've hardly commented on anything....how much fun is this!

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:37 am

I agree. If there wasn't a forum to go to I'd be lost.

Patriots signed Mallet to a 4 year deal.

Seems like the Giants are the only ones not making waves. Frustrated.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

Wish I stayed up last night,seems like I missed a lot! Good news for the Bucs getting Joseph,Trueblood seems to be dodgy enough though. Ocho to Patriots seems to be a bit of a Randy Moss move. Ocho could really shine in Boston.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

GB1919 wrote:Anyone else struggling to keep up with everything? I'm not complaining though, this is great.

The Patriots are trying their usual tactic of picking up good players with some problems on the cheap and there is more of a possibility that they could work out than if they were at another club. Haynesworth in particular has given himself a great chance to turn his career around. I wonder though whether having so many big/disruptive personalities together could backfire...Ocho, Fat Al and Mallett all coming in at the same time.

Reggie Bush to the Dolphins is a good fit but I'm a bit surprised that the Saints brought in Sproles given the running options they already have.

The NFC North has got slightly easier with McNabb coming in and if the Vikings pair him up with James Jones they'll have a QB who can't hit his receivers and a WR who can't catch the football. Deadly.Sidney Rice leaving is also great for the Packers and equally good for the Seahawks, especially if they start Jackson as I imagine they already have a good knowledge of each others game. Olsen leaving the Bears is also good to hear from a Packers point of view as I think he is a really underrated TE, and the Panthers pairing him with Shockey have done well.

Its like rain in the Sahara - nothing for ages then a mad dash to get some water before it all disappears! Smile

The Pats may need a naughty boys corner of the locker room, but if anyone can control those guys its Belichek. Chad is disruptive, but he is a player, though Fat Al may be a different proposition.

I'd say the Saints brought in Sproles because Bush was their main return threat and Sproles is a better deal as a 3rd down back too - he can catch AND run.

Agree with NFC North comments - I particularly liked "a QB who can't hit his receivers and a WR who can't catch". Smile

Now VY is in Philly (not really surprised) and Kolb is in Phoenix, I'm wondering what happens with the Skins options. Are we sticking with Beck/Grossman as starter or waiting on a deal to break?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:27 pm

@skins would you take orton???

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm

the niners are apparently trying to get malcom floyd, get him, nnamdi and carr or even better cromartie, playofffs here we go

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:27 pm

arizona_tom wrote:@skins would you take orton???

Yes, given the limited choice available, but only a the right price. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade he offers over Grossman, in terms of an experienced QB, or (potential) talent over Beck. Given the choices in the draft I agree with the Skins choices so far, I'd just like to have seen us aim a bit higher than Chapell!

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

skins4ever wrote:
GB1919 wrote:Anyone else struggling to keep up with everything? I'm not complaining though, this is great.

Its like rain in the Sahara - nothing for ages then a mad dash to get some water before it all disappears! Smile

The Pats may need a naughty boys corner of the locker room, but if anyone can control those guys its Belichek. Chad is disruptive, but he is a player, though Fat Al may be a different proposition.

I'd say the Saints brought in Sproles because Bush was their main return threat and Sproles is a better deal as a 3rd down back too - he can catch AND run.

Agree with NFC North comments - I particularly liked "a QB who can't hit his receivers and a WR who can't catch". Smile

Now VY is in Philly (not really surprised) and Kolb is in Phoenix, I'm wondering what happens with the Skins options. Are we sticking with Beck/Grossman as starter or waiting on a deal to break?

The noises coming from the Redskins seem to be that they are happy with that pairing but I find that very difficult to believe. Obviously Orton is still available at the moment but the consensus seem to be that he will be a Dolphin before too long. Another player who hasn't been talked about (thankfully) I presume in part because so much else is happening is Matt Flynn. I wouldn't like to see him go as I think he is a great prospect. He looked superb in our loss to the Patriots last year and although that was only one game I think he could do a job as a starter. The Packers have a good tradition of developing QBs and I thought someone would have come sniffing by now. The only other name that there has been talk about as being worth pursuing is Bulger but I imagine the Ravens will be looking to keep him as Flacco's number 2. There is always the possibility that Shanahan and Snyder are rebuilding everywhere else this year and waiting for a QB next year (something I have argued against in the past) or they could always book a flight to Mississippi. Whistle

I agree that if anyone can handle Ocho et el its BB but I really feel they may have bitten off slightly more than they can chew, only time will tell.

...back to destroying the refresh button on NFL.com

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:46 pm

A really chuffed Bucs fan here, so glad we've tied up Joseph, and on a 7 year deal too! He has the potential to be one of the best guards in the entire league.

I also think we're going to make a play for Nick Barnett. We need some experience at MLB now that Ruud is being shown the door.

Also, and this might seem controversial, I think that Jon Beason is worth every cent of what the Panthers are paying him. He's up there with Patrick Willis.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:00 pm

If you can pick Barnett up on the cheap then I think you'll have a good deal. He's claiming his wrist reconstruction was a complete success and he is ready to play immediately and if that is the case then he can still be a good player. I'm happy enough with Hawk and Bishop as our starting ILBs as neither are particularly injury prone and the way we play means not a great deal is asked of them. Hopefully we can get a couple of backups from UFAs who can contribute on special teams too.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:06 pm

Anyone seen the numbers for the Michael Koenen deal with Tampa? Crazy money for a punter! 6 years, $19.5m with $6.5m guaranteed.

Think we're trying hard to fill that cap room...

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:17 pm

GB - thing is, what little I saw of Flynn makes him a prospect, but the Skins don't need a prospect as we have Beck. What we need is a trusted vet to groom the guy or mind the fort until we draft and develop someone next year. That said, I wouldn't cry if Grossman is that guy for now and Beck shows that Shanny's faith is well founded, because chasing after 2nd tier guys like Orton when you have virtually the equivalent already in house makes little sense. If there was a true #1 available in FA I'd argue go all guns and get them, but there isn't and there hasn't been anyone else out there worth chasing.

Funnily enough, I had hoped we'd sniff around Barnett. Fletcher is still capable, but can't play forever and Barnett (if truly A OK) would seem to be a good fit to replace him. Then again, if we re-sign Rocky and Fletch goes another season, it would have been a 3 into 2 situation and that doesn't work.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:22 pm

Pr4wn - on the basis that TB punted 75 times last year, that roughly averages as $43.5K per kick. Might be more than Rooney gets! Smile

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:33 pm

niner wrote:the niners are apparently trying to get malcom floyd, get him, nnamdi and carr or even better cromartie, playofffs here we go

Well Crabtree is now out for 4-6 weeks and you literally have no other receivers at all. Also, Frank Gore is now holding out too. If you don't get Floyd then you aren't going anywhere. Smith is also still totally unproven.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:35 pm

TB could have gone for a decent corner instead of giving Koenen that type of money FFS.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:40 pm

We still have plenty to spend Thomond, we're not done yet! Biggers is severely underrated. Last season was his first full year and he played excellently.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:42 pm

I know but,that is crazy for a punter! There could be plenty improvements to be done on that TB team,starting with the O-line and possibly a safety with Jackson acting the maggot.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:51 pm

It seems that the Bears have agreed a deal to bring in Roy Williams.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:03 pm

thats true, although i think harbaugh will get the best out of smith, crabtree willl more or less be back for regular season according to reports, im also pretty confident that nnamdi is heading to the niners, as i have a hard time seeing the jets actually getting him. Obviously i would hate to see gore holdout but something will be sorted out, aqnd even if it wasnt hunter and dixon could carry the load.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:53 pm

Its down to 2 for Asmougha Jets and Cowboys battle of the Ryans lets get it on..........
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:57 pm

No state income tax in Texas....

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:57 pm

sure helps when it comes to spending those $millions
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:01 pm

Makes you a bit more appealing to those after big contracts!

I'm a bit disappointed that the Bucs didn't even make a run at either Nnamdi or Joseph. We need help in that secondary.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:02 pm

Glazer is spending his $$$ at Old Trafford
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:03 pm

But he NEEDS to spend money in TB. We have a floor to reach.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:04 pm

all that will happen is that he will over pay those that he gets and give bigger contracts to players who are out of contract
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:08 pm

Look to what they just paid your Punter $18.5million $6.5million guaranteed that is huge money for a Punter its what some Safeties/LB can earn
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:12 pm

Just makes bad business sense though. If you have to spend the money, you might as well get some value. We've been looking for a good punter since Tom Tupa.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:42 pm

who do you think nnamdi will choose, after reading stuff online yesterday, nobody mentioned dallas and a lot of guys were saying it wouldbe difficult for the jets to get a good deal for him. Gutted he is not thinking about the niners, honestly thought when the texans werent in the hunt he would stay in the same area

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:46 pm

Namdi wants a SB chance, and the 9ers are too much of an unknown in that respect. Surprised he'd go for the Cowboys on that basis... Wink

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:55 pm

hopefully the niners push for cromartie if he goes to the jets and try and grab marshall or carr as well, that would be two good cb's that wouldnt be too expensive

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:15 pm

Willis McGahee to Denver Broncos on a three year $7.5m deal. $3m guaranteed as per Pro Football Talk.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:26 pm

Eric Wright signs with the Lions.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:37 pm

Available free agents of note:

CB Nnamdi Asomugha
DE Ray Edwards
DT Aubrayo Franklin
DL Cullen Jenkins
DL Brandon Mebane
FS Michael Huff
OL Justin Blalock
OL Harvey Dahl
TE Zach Miller
WR Braylon Edwards

Plenty of talent still available if you need help on the DL.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

Ndamdi Asomghua... if it's not too much to ask, could you please retire... If I could pick two clubs in the NFL that I actively dislike it would be the Cowboys and the Jets... Your a great corner and I would prefer it if you didn't go and help those evil two teams.

Your Sincerely,
crazy_dave23

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:42 pm

More "normal" post from me...

Matt Moore has signed for Miami. Does that make this the end of the Kyle Orton pursuit? I don't exactly think Matt Moore is anybodies answer... but I think he is alright and could do with getting a bit of chance to see what he is made of.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:44 pm

This is very annoying, I really wanted Orton out, not only does it pave the way for Tebow, but we'd have more cap space.

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 29 Jul 2011, 7:08 pm

Atlanta have signed Ray Edwards on a 5 year deal.

Ouch.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 29 Jul 2011, 7:09 pm

Reckon Phins are still looking at Orton, but the move for Moore says to me Henne is gone. 3 former starters is too much competition in one backfield and he probably can rebuild his career elsewhere.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 7:16 pm

According to Schefter Edwards received a 5 year $30million deal from the Falcons, nice bit of business there IMO.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:34 pm

Prawn,Cody Grimm looked like a John Lynch incarnate and Corey Lynch wasn't too bad either. Jackson is coming back and Asante isn't a bad strong safety. Corner is a problem with Barber retiring soon and Talib could end up in prison.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:40 pm

Stewart Bradley to ARZ. Nice fit imo.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:01 pm

Giants seem serious about signing Plaxico.

Ochocinco wore 85 at Patriots training today with Hernandez wearing his college number 81.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:03 pm

On the Giants I don't think signing Plax is a good thing unless he's really cheap. Need to focus on O-line and Linebacker.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:57 pm

Albert Breer reporting that the Jets are out of the Nnamdi race, Rich Eisen talking about fist pumps taking place at the Cowboys involving Jerry Jones. A done deal?

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:10 pm

Lomardi says cowboys are out too. Hes coming to the CARDS!!! you heard it here 1st Smile

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:12 pm

Now reports are that Dallas are out, Michael Lombardi talking about a sleeper team that have kept quiet. No details on who that might be.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:17 pm

Hes going to the eagles i hate thsat team

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next