The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gamboa vs ponce de leon

+2
Scottrf
eddyfightfan
6 posters

Go down

gamboa vs ponce de leon Empty gamboa vs ponce de leon

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:48 pm

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/6810794/yuriorkis-gamboa-fight-daniel-ponce-de-leon-atlantic-city-september

gamboa is due to face ponce de leon in september. it will be played on HBO along with a replay from the vitali adamek title fight earlier the same day. top rank and gbp have finally put aside there differences and this is the first time there fighters will face each other since hatton pacquiao.

personally i only see a win for gamboa, who i consider P4P at the moment, at least in skill, if not in proven ability. he should still be unified champion in my eyes, having been stripped of 2 belts, i can see gamboa been the next manny pacquioa....

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

gamboa vs ponce de leon Empty Re: gamboa vs ponce de leon

Post by Scottrf Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:48 pm

Decent fight, I think PDL is past it though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:55 pm

Scottrf wrote:Decent fight, I think PDL is past it though.

I agree, but I think we are gonna find holes to pick in a lot of Gamboa's future opponants considering he is head and shoulders above the lot of them. Pity, because I hate when a fighter gets slated for this (Pacquiao/Mayweather) and i'll be first to admit I am guilty of this as its hard to avoid sometimes.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

i hope he can move up a few weights comfortably, without losing his speed/power, there would be a decent amount of fights out there for gamboa is he can.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

yeh, the problem Gamboa's got is that there's only 2-3 fights left at feather (JuanMa and John [if he ever leaves Asia]) and no more than the same again at SFW (a pretty weak division IMO), just Burns (who he'd blow away in 4-5 rounds) and Broner (who wouldn't last much longer). Fana has lost credibility now and I don't think he should waste his time with the stay-at-home Japs.

Do we know the weight for the PdL fight?

He'll be in his 30s when at SFW and if he makes it as high as LW I'd be worried about loss of speed and possibly accuracy.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:37 pm

theres always the chance that donaire might step up, that would be a huge fight

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:44 pm

Donaire wants to unify though, can't see him doing that and stepping whilst Gamboa is still in the division, he'll be in SFW by then. Gamboa doesn't have time on his side thanks to only defecting a couple of years ago in his mid-20s therefore I can't see him hanging around long-enough for Donaire to catch-up. Donaire's frame looks like he can carry on up to SFW, they could meet there but I think Gamboa may be seeing out his career at LW by then as the division looks too weak to keep him there long.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:55 pm

i fear your probably right, but we can hope, and both men have never shown the slightest incline to not take the toughest fights, so if it is ever viable then im sure it will happen

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:22 pm

De Leon is on the slide but still good enough to take out anybody not up to the task.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:32 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:i fear your probably right, but we can hope, and both men have never shown the slightest incline to not take the toughest fights, so if it is ever viable then im sure it will happen

Spot on, I think Gamboas 5 fight record of De Leon, Solis, Solido, Barros & Mtagwa is only matched by Froch at the moment. Only JuanMa missing from it (like Ward for Froch) and no losses (fingers crossed for the PDL fight!).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:55 pm

Decent enough match-up for a non-title fight. DeLeon since the crushing loss to Juanma Lopez had steadily built himself back into contention with wins over Lock and Escalante though lost on points last time out to the talented Broner.

I don't think many fighters are in a rush to face Gamboa who for me is one of the best P4P fighters in the World and the best at Featherweight.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

agreed, gamboa is definetly the man to beat at the moment. not seen anything of broner, but i heard it was close decesion, will check him out when he fights burns

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down