The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC and Sky to share F1 Coverage

+23
dangerous_mouse
longhopmerchant
Critical_mass
custart
The Special Juan
GeeMonkee
sportform
BigPhil
Slyboogy
erictheblueuk
Fernando
liverbnz
themadworldofjb
Tom-Dick-Harry
Beer
TopHat24/7
steveo77
Gregers
BATH_BTGOG
sodhat
Davie
fantantonio
Uryu Ishida
27 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

BBC and Sky to share F1 Coverage  - Page 3 Empty BBC and Sky to share F1 Coverage

Post by Uryu Ishida Fri 29 Jul 2011, 7:15 am

First topic message reminder :

from BBC

"The BBC and Sky Sports will broadcast Formula 1 in the UK between 2012 and 2018 under a new rights deal.

The BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster of F1 in the UK since 2009 but its contract with Formula One Management was due to expire after the 2013 season.

Sky Sports will show every race, qualifying session and practice live.

BBC Sport will broadcast half the races live, as well as the qualifying and practice sessions from those races.

Both companies will broadcast in high definition.

The BBC will have highlights on TV and mobile for any race it it is not showing live, and all races will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 live.

Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.

"The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

"With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers."

Races shown live on BBC TV will include the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the Monaco GP and the concluding race of the season.

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

"We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television."
"

I hate this news, Free to Air TV just took a HUGE hit.....discuss

Uryu Ishida

Back to top Go down

BBC and Sky to share F1 Coverage  - Page 3 Empty Re: BBC and Sky to share F1 Coverage

Post by Davie Mon 01 Aug 2011, 8:54 am

The red was to warn him against using foul and abusive language. End of story

Davie

Back to top Go down

BBC and Sky to share F1 Coverage  - Page 3 Empty Re: BBC and Sky to share F1 Coverage

Post by razzaq Mon 01 Aug 2011, 8:59 am

Davie wrote:The red was to warn him against using foul and abusive language. End of story

Fair enough. As the red warning immediately followed his comment about mods being on the sky payroll I believed you were referring to that. I was wrong........

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:17 am

razzaq wrote:
Davie wrote:The red was to warn him against using foul and abusive language. End of story

Fair enough. As the red warning immediately followed his comment about mods being on the sky payroll I believed you were referring to that. I was wrong........

That's definitely what it looked like and what motivated my 606v2 comment, probably also a boil-over from the Primetime 606v2 link-up and similar issues on the boxing board.

Still maintain, as does almost everyone else in England it seems, that Sky is bad for F1 but I retract any defammatory comments about 606v2 - I love this site and you guys do do a great job (on the whole....)!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:23 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
razzaq wrote:

That's definitely what it looked like and what motivated my 606v2 comment, probably also a boil-over from the Primetime 606v2 link-up and similar issues on the boxing board.

Still maintain, as does almost everyone else in England it seems, that Sky is bad for F1 but I retract any defammatory comments about 606v2 - I love this site and you guys do do a great job (on the whole....)!

That's a given - less viewers means the sport will be affected. It's already done damage to grass roots cricket in the country. I'm not so sure F1 will suffer the same consequences cricket is likely to, but it still can't be a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I love the cricket coverage on SKY, with some great analysis and excellent pundits. If the F1 coverages mirrors the cricket, rather than that of the football on SKY then that'll be great, but the quality of the coverage is not really the issue here.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

whats wrong with the coverage of the footie on Sky?

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 5:25 pm

Critical_mass wrote:whats wrong with the coverage of the footie on Sky?

Not sure. I like it myself, but then again I'm a sucker for all the big over-exaggerated build-up stuff. It pees all over the BBC and ITV footy coverage IMO (MOTD aside).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 02 Aug 2011, 5:35 pm

Sky can put on that kind of build-up in football because it is on a sports channel whereas the BBC/ITV can't as they have other tastes to cater for and can't have an hour long build-up on Wednesday evening's etc.

Motor Racing and their F1 coverage is slightly different as the races are on Sunday lunchtime so extended coverage isn't exactly stepping on other type of shows toes.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:36 pm

ah right just wondered what peoples problem with sky was with the footie. not really into it myself and not currently got sky sports. So cant see how it will translate over to the F1.

Does anyone know if Sky have any plans to bring in a deal to purchase ONLY what channel they put the F1 on. I dont want 5 sky sports channels!

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 03 Aug 2011, 11:12 pm

All I will say is that the more I think about it, the more likely it is I will simply stop taking an interest in F1 after this season is over.

Only being able to watch half a season is almost worse than nothing at all as it makes you feel like an economy-class passenger, wishing you were able to upgrade to business class.

Can't afford Sky and wouldn't use my money to line the pockets of the Murdochs in any case.

Makes me sad that the only way I'll hear about any future title wins for Hamilton and Button will be via the radio or newspaper...or the BBC website.

I shall enjoy this season while it lasts. After that, I'm thinking I'll have a lot more free Sunday afternoons...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 03 Aug 2011, 11:20 pm

P.S: The real criminal here is Bernie Ecclestone with his ever-increasing financial demands. Even more so when only last year he was quoted in a BBC article saying selling the rights to Sky would be a bad move for F1.

The BBC were over a barrel to an extent - though they could have spent their money a lot more wisely (£900m move to new offices? Shocked ) and cut some of the peripheral programmes and services in order to retain exclusive rights.

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:01 am

No dyrewolfe the BBC couldn't do that as they are not purely an F1 or sports channel. They have to cater for all interests.

I fully agree with you on the Bernie Ecclestone front. Clueless and money-grabbing would sum him up. Who remembers the ridiculous ideas he looked to implement to F1 such as a medal system instead of points - ludicrous and luckily an idea flung out by the teams. I don't care what anyone says - if Bernie cared for the F1 fans he could have done a full deal with the BBC. It is obvious the BBC didn't put a nothing bid on the table otherwise they would have been cut from the deal altogether as was the case with the ITV (who according to those in the know) were basically told they had lost the last contract before even being able to bid for it. Sums Bernie up.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typing error)
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:42 pm

No dyrewolfe the BBC couldn't do that as they are not purely an F1 or sports channel. They have to cater for all interests.

They're not purely a soap, sitcom or reality TV broadcaster either. The amount of sport they've covered has steadily decreased over the years and F1 was one of the few prestige events it covered. I've noticed they've also started showing more repeats to fill holes in their schedule on a budget.

If they're doing that on their main channels, it would suggest they have stuff on BBC3 and 4 that they don't consider worth moving to prime slots.

Besides the ridiculously expensive office move (and we thought Wembley stadium was expensive!) I'm pretty sure they could've axed a few of their less-watched programmes to keep F1 exclisively theirs.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

That said, with Ecclestone in the frame, it was probably inevitable one day. Hence most of my criticism is reserved for him.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:

They're not purely a soap, sitcom or reality TV broadcaster either. The amount of sport they've covered has steadily decreased over the years and F1 was one of the few prestige events it covered. I've noticed they've also started showing more repeats to fill holes in their schedule on a budget.

If they're doing that on their main channels, it would suggest they have stuff on BBC3 and 4 that they don't consider worth moving to prime slots.

Besides the ridiculously expensive office move (and we thought Wembley stadium was expensive!) I'm pretty sure they could've axed a few of their less-watched programmes to keep F1 exclisively theirs.

Yes they are not purely a soap, sitcom or reality TV broadcaster either - that is correct. The BBC try to cater for all tastes and I'm sure they do so in the best way that they can. Not true about F1 being the only prestige event they cover as they do still cover Wimbledon, Open Golf, Grand National, Six Nations etc etc but the budget will only stretch so far. What you may think is ridiculously expensive move (which it appears on the surface admittedly) I'll bet is financially a better deal than staying where they were. Research that closely and I'll bet you'll be surprised. What may be less-watched programmes to you caters for other areas of entertainment (other than sport) which the BBC also have to cater for. Don't get me wrong I am as upset about it as you but I'll bet the BBC tried its very best in the current circumstance to secure exclusive rights but in a bidding war with Sky there is only ever going to be one winner. And I'll bet Bernie Ecclestone didn't need to think twice to sell his soul to the devil as he is money-obsessed even though he is already super-rich like those who run F1. Greed is what sees us in the position we are now.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:18 pm

Not true about F1 being the only prestige event they cover as they do still cover Wimbledon, Open Golf, Grand National, Six Nations etc etc but the budget will only stretch so far.

I don't recall saying it was the ONLY prestige event. I said it was one of a few. You could only name 4 and in one of those we can't even watch England matches anymore (6 Nations).

What you may think is ridiculously expensive move (which it appears on the surface admittedly) I'll bet is financially a better deal than staying where they were. Research that closely and I'll bet you'll be surprised.

Well, seeing as you seem so sure of it, why not take a look yourself? Wink

There are many reasons for moving office (need more or less space, reduced rent or maintenance costs, energy savings etc.) Without knowing the reasons behind the move its difficult to say. All I know is that spending that kind of money on an office move, right when you're in the middle of shedding jobs and services, doesn't seem very prudent.

I'm very aware the BBC has a remit to cater for as wide an audience as possible. It just struck me as odd that they're showing repeats on their main channels, rather than moving shows from their newer channels.

I'm also aware that due to the "unique way they are funded" the BBC can't compete with satellite and cable broadcasters. Its why I believe they should start advertising so they have something approaching a level playing field.

They could even afford to pay their execs and top stars ridiculous salaries again. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm

A few explanations for moving to Salford here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaCityUK

Advertising on the BBC? Distasteful and I can't see it making a difference. I mean look at ITV - they are even a worse position financially than the BBC and they advertise.

Any ire should be fully directed at Bernie Ecclestone and CVC. I mean the BBC must have put in a very respectable bid to have managed to retain half of the races competing against Sky otherwise its guaranteed Bernie would have sold FULL rights to Sky.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3