The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Currently Reading?

+119
Galted
ChequeredJersey
lfc91
AdamT
Rowanbi
kenn20152014
Alistair
Geordie
Derbymanc
Breadvan
kingraf
ONETWOFOREVER
seanmichaels
1GrumpyGolfer
The Boss
jbeadlesbigrighthand
JDizzle
88Chris05
rIck_dAgless
break_in_the_fifth
superflyweight
Mike Selig
Duty281
TRUSSMAN66
bsando
Mind the windows Tino.
english warrior
Rowley
liverbnz
Steffan
alfie
kittenv2
SharkSoul
Crimey
Ent
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Cyril
Melkor
JuliusHMarx
mckay1402
barragan
compelling and rich
tammywilson52
drsambo1928
bluestonevedder
Smirnoffpriest
Lee
Teej
GSC
Thomond
Cari
yappysnap
as1079
Casartelli
Il Gialloblu
sugarNspikes
teassoc
littleswannygirl
BigPhil
ShahenshahG
hodge
Roberto Mankini
Hero
Colan (niner)
Looseheaded
rawa86
GG
Rava
hampo17
6oldenbhoy
The Galveston Giant
dummy_half
Sir. badgerhands
Cheesehead United
Enforcer
Diggers
Celtic Warrior
greybeard
No1yankee
Sugar Floyd Louis
Fists of Fury
Mad for Chelsea
Goldbug
Kenny
Beer
Gaelic-Warrior
CFCNick
CelticLuke
Scottrf
ADMIN
racingnut
Mat
ncfc_Tooze
BALTIMORA
ALPanorak
md_fan
John From London Town
Luke
nadalistic
Pr4wn
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
theundisputedY2D2
Marky
Adam D
Sara
AquaArab
calamity jane
randy-poffo
President Trump
AberdeenSteve
Nay
Kramxel
Solerina
asdral225
Legend
davidl1061
LondonJonnyO
David Tails
123 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 3 Empty What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by David Tails Thu 17 Feb 2011, 4:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

As the title suggests; this is just a post to find out what people are currently reading (I don't want any sarcastic comments stating "This thread" thumbsup)

I'm currently reading What The Night Knows by Dean Koontz. I'm only about 19 chapters in, but it's really good so far.

I finished Shattered Bones by Stuart MacBride at the weekend. That was okay, but the editing was poor so it detracted from my enjoyment a little.

Actually that is another question for this thread. Is it just me, or does sloppy editing bother you? I'm talking in terms of spelling mistakes, double words etc. I find it really off putting and I can't really explain why. I guess it could be because it interupts the flow of the story.

It really grinds my gears Shocked

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 3 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:39 am

Is it a good series then CW? Fast action? I bought the first book but haven't got around to reading it yet, may well start once I've finished with WOT...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 3 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by Celtic Warrior Fri 06 Jan 2012, 11:59 am

Fast action...Hmm.

The initial book does have a lot of action in it; however, as with every long series of books, a proportion of the initial book is character development. Just to help set the story up.

It's really good. The story develops well and when you get in to the later books in the series things really start to kick off at a much higher pace.

It's weird, I find myself empathising with characters, that on the face of things I shouldn't...just because of the way they have been developed.

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 3:27 pm

MfC - it's an absolutely brilliant series, I couldn't put any of the books down, tis a bit mental how quickly I read them!

CW is right though, there is a lot of time dedicated to character development, and know what you mean about empathising with some of the characters. I think it's because there are no clear out and out baddies or goodies (imo of course and I don't want to say anymore incase I risk spoiling it)

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:43 pm

There are only 2 characters that I thoroughly dislike. No redeeming traits whatsoever.

Not going to name them though...for the same reason as you...I don't want to spoil anything.

Perhaps it will change as I read more of the books...but so far, there has not been one thing to change my mind about these character. (Definitely not going to change for one of them as the books develop!)

Celtic Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I do enjoy fantasy worlds which aren't pure "good vs evil" so I think I'll enjoy these.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 13 Jan 2012, 4:31 pm

Currently reading "The Terrible Privacy of Maxwell Sim" by Jonathan Coe. Excellent book, one that Im sure a fair few middle aged guys could relate to. Ive read 4 or 5 of Coe's books and they have always been excellent and most admirably each one is very different from the others, more than you say for most authors who have a certain style for every book.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Sat 14 Jan 2012, 11:13 am

Dicey Reilly wrote:Reading the Hobbit at the moment, love it

I read that over Christmas and am now working my way through Lord of the Rings, I've never seen the films or read it before and am really enjoying it.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesehead United Sat 14 Jan 2012, 8:13 pm

[quote="Enforcer"]

I read that over Christmas and am now working my way through Lord of the Rings, I've never seen the films or read it before and am really enjoying it.

I enjoyed the films, but the books are better...as they usually are.

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Mon 16 Jan 2012, 9:49 am

How are you finding the fellowship of the Rings book Enforcer, I struggled through the first half of it but it was well worth it, when you finish reading them watch the films and you'll find yourself picking them apart like I did Laugh

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Mon 16 Jan 2012, 4:42 pm

Reading Claudius the God at the moment for the second time as I've just re-read I Claudius about a month ago.

Cracking read for those who haven't read.

Fact and fiction mixed together in the best possible way.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 16 Jan 2012, 4:46 pm

DIcey / Cheesehead

Just be aware: Tolkein is Hobbit forming Wink

Anyway, just finished the latest Pratchett - pretty good (probably better than Unseen Academicals), but covered similar ground in some ways to some of the earlier of the Watch books (which are often about racism / discrimination). At least there were a couple of laugh-out-loud funny moments.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 16 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

[quote="Cheesehead United"]
Enforcer wrote:

I enjoyed the films, but the books are better...as they usually are.

Absolutely outstanding books, the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I am well in to that kind of thing anyway, but they were fantastic, likewise with the Hobbit.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:25 am

dummy is just got a loan of Unseen Academicals off my boss is it any good as this will be my first time reading any of Pratchett's stuff even though i have played the games they released, he is just one of those autors that ive always said i would get into but haven't got around to it

Last edited by Dicey Reilly on Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:54 pm

Just finished reading 'Rivals' by Jilly Cooper. Just such a nice easy read that one, that always has me laughing. Not one for those who are expecting a literary masterpiece!

Reckon I'm about to pick up some David Eddings books to re-read. Need to get a quick, fantasy fiction fix!

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:25 pm

Dicey

You'd probably do better to go back to the early Discworld books, as Pratchett has a number of on-going characters running through the series and you will probably find yourself wondering why the Unseen University librarian (and Unseen Academicals goalkeeper) is an orang utan - it has been explained in the earlier books.

The Discworld series can be sub-divided into 4 groups, based on the main characters within each book (with some overlap) - the Wizards, the Watch, the Witches, and DEATH plus other assorted characters.

They are an easy and entertaining read, and should appeal if you enjoy word play and clever use of language. There is often a comparison made with The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, but for me Pratchett has never been as much about laugh out loud absurdist humour as about amusing parodies, often with an underlying message.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Tue 17 Jan 2012, 3:02 pm

Cheers Dummy il have a look at some of the older stuff any recommendations?

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:39 pm

Just started to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, its a strange one to say the least but very funny and enjoyable so far, after this it will be Abe lincoln vampire hunter, which has been turned into a film as well whoooo

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 22 Jan 2012, 2:11 am

Reading A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking at the moment, will admit there's a lot i don't understand.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 22 Jan 2012, 6:07 pm

Just started Chris Jericho Undisputed . Hoping its as good as his first book
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 22 Jan 2012, 10:49 pm

Just finished John Connolly's latest Charlie Parker novel 'The Burning Soul'. Have to say I was a bit disappointed with this one. As ever, it's superbly written with an excellent plot, but it felt slightly different from the other titles. Recently the series seems to be following a particular trend (I won't give that away), but this one seems more like a side step from that. Also, I felt some of the regular characters were underused. A friend also read it, and thought the exact opposite. It really whetted his appetite for the next book, so don't let my review put you off.

I'm about to start the second book in the Millenium series; 'The Girl Who Played With Fire'. I thought 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' was pretty poor. I couldn't sympathise with any of the characters, and thought it was an average mystery that was sexed to keep it vaguely interesting. I'm not holding out much hope for the next two.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:28 am

Dicey Reilly wrote:Cheers Dummy il have a look at some of the older stuff any recommendations?

Dicey
One way would be to just read them in order, although I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of the first couple of books, so that wouldn't necessarily be my preferred recommendation. Alternatively, start with Mort, which is about the 4th book but works well as a stand alone, as do Moving Pictures and Soul Music (read those particularly if you are a movie or music buff).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:47 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:I thought 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' was pretty poor. I couldn't sympathise with any of the characters, and thought it was an average mystery that was sexed to keep it vaguely interesting. I'm not holding out much hope for the next two.

I actually liked the Millenium trilogy. The characters are described in more detail as you go through the series. Your opinions on certain people are likely to change somewhat. I would say stick with it.

Celtic Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:36 pm

Currentyl Reading the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan. Have read them many times before but really love them

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 23 Jan 2012, 5:14 pm

Celtic Warrior wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:I thought 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' was pretty poor. I couldn't sympathise with any of the characters, and thought it was an average mystery that was sexed to keep it vaguely interesting. I'm not holding out much hope for the next two.

I actually liked the Millenium trilogy. The characters are described in more detail as you go through the series. Your opinions on certain people are likely to change somewhat. I would say stick with it.

I thought the first book was really good and the second incredibly average and on the whole unecessary. I certainly wouldnt be tempted to read the third.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:40 pm

Diggers wrote:
Celtic Warrior wrote:

I thought the first book was really good and the second incredibly average and on the whole unecessary. I certainly wouldnt be tempted to read the third.

I've been told that the books do improve as you progress, so I'll try and read it with an open mind. With regards the characters, I found Salander annoying, Blomqvist forgettable, but particularly disliked Erika Berger. Really didn't see the point to her character. I generally don't read this type of crime fiction, more of a Burke or Connolly sort of person, so that may have something to do with my thoughts on the first.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:44 pm

Things are further explained as you go through that explains why some of the characters are the way they are.

Celtic Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Tue 24 Jan 2012, 9:48 am

I thought the Millenium trilogy was excellent both books and films but I guess you really have to like that kind of Scandinavian style crime writting

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 24 Jan 2012, 2:16 pm

I'm flicking between the Lord of the Rings books and the walking dead novels at the moment, throughly enjoying both as well.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 24 Jan 2012, 7:58 pm

Currently reading The Bourne Legacy by Robert Ludlum

I am a massive fan of the Lee Child books that feature Jack Reacher. I have his lastest - The Affair waiting on the shelf.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Jan 2012, 8:53 pm

Just started reading the fantasy series 'The Belgariad' by David Eddings, just on the first book now. Have lost count how often I've read them, but it's definitely been a couple of years since the last time. Love them.

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm

Rava wrote:Currently reading The Bourne Legacy by Robert Ludlum

I am a massive fan of the Lee Child books that feature Jack Reacher. I have his lastest - The Affair waiting on the shelf.

The Bourne Identity is one of my favourite books, I read The Supremacy but was a little disappointed. Not Bad, but not great. I have been told to stay away from the later books. The original trilogy are the only ones written by Ludlum, some fellow with a Dutch name carried on the series, and I've heard they are not a patch on the original three. It's it any good?

I used to be a fan of the Reacher books, but after a while they became quite similar. The Hard Way was the last one I read, and couldn't be bothered after that. Pick up some John Connolly novels. If you like Childs' work, you should enjoy them.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:29 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:
Rava wrote:Currently reading The Bourne Legacy by Robert Ludlum

The Bourne Identity is one of my favourite books, I read The Supremacy but was a little disappointed. Not Bad, but not great. I have been told to stay away from the later books. The original trilogy are the only ones written by Ludlum, some fellow with a Dutch name carried on the series, and I've heard they are not a patch on the original three. It's it any good?

I used to be a fan of the Reacher books, but after a while they became quite similar. The Hard Way was the last one I read, and couldn't be bothered after that. Pick up some John Connolly novels. If you like Childs' work, you should enjoy them.

I absolutely love the trilogy and have the boxset of DVD's. This book isn't a great read, though I have still a way to go so it might improve.

Love Connolly as well. Have read everything of his as well. Last one was The Whisperers.

Others include James Patterson, with the Alex Cross books and Michael Connolly (Harry Bosch)
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:49 pm

I've read a fair few Michael Connelly and John Connelly books - good reads. I would perhaps throw Dennis Lehane's name out there as a potential option too. (Been a while since I've read his though...so forgive me if I'm getting them confused with something else.) I LOVE the Reacher series.

I stopped reading John Grisham for the reason you gave though bhoy. After reading a few it was like reading the same book over and over.

I've read a couple of the later Bourne ones too. Not a patch on the original trilogy.

Celtic Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:28 pm

I love the Reacher books but must admit you cant read too many one after another

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Wed 25 Jan 2012, 6:08 pm

Nazi Germany-a new history by Klaus Fischer.

Not exactly something I want to be reading, but have to for my History coursework.

I've got a Life Too Short: The tragedy of Robert Enke to read when I have some spare time.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Wed 25 Jan 2012, 7:26 pm

Mat wrote:Nazi Germany-a new history by Klaus Fischer.

Not exactly something I want to be reading, but have to for my History coursework.

Have you read Hitler's Willing Executioners?

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sat 28 Jan 2012, 11:32 am

GG wrote:
Mat wrote:Nazi Germany-a new history by Klaus Fischer.

Have you read Hitler's Willing Executioners?

No, the question I'm doing for my coursework isn't about the holocaust so don't have to read that. Just finished off the first of Kershaw's bios on him, Hubris I think it was called, that took some effort!

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sat 28 Jan 2012, 1:53 pm

Oh right, mine is on the Holocaust...too many bloody books to read/research

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 08 Feb 2012, 11:42 pm

Just finished reading "The Girl Who Played With Fire", and have to say it was worse than the first.

The whole book felt like a first draft. Much of the text was irrelevant to the plot, which slowed down the read somewhat. Most of the first one hundred pages could have been cut out. Whilst you can tell the book is thoroughly researched in parts, there were a few factual inaccuracies I picked up upon, like Paolo Roberto being a professional boxer in Sweden, even though it was illegal at the time.

At times I felt that Apple had sponsored the book, and had littered it with subliminal messaging to by a Macbook.

Overall, I thought it was disappointing, as there was a decent story line in amongst the masses of unneeded information.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:46 am

Im reading The Lion of Ireland at the moment, its a fictional novel surrounding the life of one of Irelands greatest High Kings, Brian Boru, its a very good read so far

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by rawa86 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 3:52 am

Currently reading Rye Barcott's 'It happened on the way to war.'
It's a non-fiction book about a US marine who tries help set up a NGO in a slum in Nairobi, Kenya. Am really enjoying it but it ain't light-hearted obviously.

Also read George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' last night (brilliant) and have lined up Ernst Hemmingway's 'For whom the bell tolls' as my next one.

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Fri 10 Feb 2012, 1:24 pm

Reading '7 habits of highly effective people'.... good read.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Mon 13 Feb 2012, 1:31 am

At any point in time I will be re-reading The Hobbit, it's my favourite book of all time and I just can't get tired of it.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Mon 13 Feb 2012, 1:03 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:Just finished reading "The Girl Who Played With Fire", and have to say it was worse than the first.

The whole book felt like a first draft. Much of the text was irrelevant to the plot, which slowed down the read somewhat. Most of the first one hundred pages could have been cut out. Whilst you can tell the book is thoroughly researched in parts, there were a few factual inaccuracies I picked up upon, like Paolo Roberto being a professional boxer in Sweden, even though it was illegal at the time.

At times I felt that Apple had sponsored the book, and had littered it with subliminal messaging to by a Macbook.

Overall, I thought it was disappointing, as there was a decent story line in amongst the masses of unneeded information.

That's the second one right? I can assure you the third is better though not as good as the first imo.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Fri 17 Feb 2012, 10:34 pm

I have just finished The Fifth Elephant a Terry Pratchett disc world novel lots of werewolves, dwarfs, trolls and Igors trying to upset each other, very enjoyable.
The next book is about Bletchley Park and the code breakers who worked there
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 23 Feb 2012, 5:21 am

Just finnished HALF BLOOD BLUES, by Esi Edugyan.
It's got a good storyline, and splits well between the 2 times and is easy to follow. It's well written though some of the language does grate abit (to me anyway). And the ending just dosn't seem right (feels like it should be a few pages more).
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Fri 02 Mar 2012, 4:57 pm

first time on this section, im currently reading 'the fab five' by Mitch Albom- a pretty old book. I now have 'A season on the brink', 'heaven is a playground', 'take your eye off the ball' and 'into thin air' waiting to be read

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 03 Mar 2012, 3:28 pm

Eventually finished 'The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest'. It was the worst of the three, which isn't saying much. Like the 2nd novel, it has so much useless information in it. At over 700 pages, it really was a case of quantity over quality. There subplots which really have no relevance to the overall storyline, and just act to slow the read down. The ending was overly long, a child could see what was going to happen, but Larsson really drags it out.

Again, like the first two, it has that unpolished, draft like feel to it. The translation, though fine for the most part, was woeful in parts. After finishing the book I had a sense of relief that I would never have to pick it up again.

Started an early Ludlum novel 'Trevayne'. I'm about 150 pages through and have no idea what is going on. Characters seem to reach conclusions and I have no idea how they did. I only read it on the train to and from work and often find myself flicking back through go find out what's happened. I'm only really starting to get into it, so I'll plough on through and hope that it becomes easier to follow.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:09 pm

I have just started Abraham Lincoln : Vampire Hunter, I have been looking for this book for awhile so hopefully I wont be let down but it is written by Seth Grahame Smith who also wrote "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and that was excellent (even my wife thought so)

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Thu 08 Mar 2012, 9:12 am

Just started reading Terry Pratchett's the Fifth Elephant (glad to see asdral enjoyed), but Play have just delivered the two Max Brooks zombie books (Survival Guide and World War Z), which I'm itching to start.

I'm also reading The Walking Dead comic Compendium 1 which is really good as well.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next