The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+28
The_Hound_of_Harrow
WillyGilly
Mickado
littleswannygirl
KiaRose
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Mick(TEFC)
Ozzy3213
Glas a du
Adam D
Cari
Gibson
Breadvan
Suspicious lurker
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Standulstermen
Mrs Penfro
rodders
Notch
PenfroPete
Rava
Thomond
robbo277
prop_lyd
red_stag
MBTGOG
nottins
Luckless Pedestrian
32 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 2 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Guest Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:58 am

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the Tommy Bowe photo on the bar. That's a banning offence

So pull up a chair....what'll it be?

Ale

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 2 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

Stand, very glad to hear that its all going good.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 2 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by PenfroPete Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

PROP – but;s because you’re a forward, the make allowances for that don’t they ? Whistle
EXAMS – seriously, lessons in school are like Driving Lessons. Driving lessons teach you how to pass the test NOT how todrive. I 'learnt' more in Primary School, where my teachers encourage my inquisitiveness and the 'brush' was a lot broader
UNIVERSITY = load of bollix saying 50% of people should be going. We’re still going to need carpenters, plumbers, mechanics, brickies ..etc

Anyway, all this modern education is sh!te.Repeat 1x2 is 2, 2x2 is 4 .....
Mick (TEFC): Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Penfro: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier, eh Rava?

Rava: You're right there Penfro.

Gibbo: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier?

Mick (TEFC): Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

Penfro: A cup o' COLD tea.

Gibbo: Without milk or sugar.

Rava: OR tea!

Mick (TEFC): In a cracked cup, and all.

Gibbo: We never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

Penfro: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

Rava: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

Mick (TEFC): Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

Gibbo: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

Penfro: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing and we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

Rava: You were lucky to have a ROOM! We used to have to live in a corridor!

Mick (TEFC): Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

Gibbo: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpolin, it was a house to US.

Penfro: We were evicted from our hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

Rava: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in a shoebox in the middle of the road.

Mick (TEFC): Cardboard box?

Rava: Aye.

Mick (TEFC): You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down the mill for fourteen hours a day week in week out, for sixpence a week. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

Penfro: Luxury! We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, work twenty hour a day at the mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

Rava: Well of course, we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

Gibbo: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our Mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

Mick (TEFC): And you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't blydi believe ya'.

All: They won't..

Last edited by PenfroPete on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm

Maybe it's just me but paying 9k a year in fees for 3/4 years with the prospect of paying it back + inflationary interest when earning a paltry 17k a year doesn't seem like a great investment to me.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:23 pm

Notch wrote:I think you learn a hell of a lot more from course work than exams.

Schools have become less about teaching the subject, more about teaching you to how to pass an exam in the subject. This promotes not understanding or intellectual insight, but rather memorisation and regurgitation of information en masse which you later forget.

And then, a few moths later, it's all forgotten.

Completely and utterly agree. I found course work much more challanging at school then any exams I ever sat. I had to work a lot harder at that as well, which was probably why I hated doing it so much.

I remember very little I learnt at school for my exams. I didn't need to learn it for the long term, so what was the point?

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

Personally, just as a result of maintaining a (hopefully) healthy interest in Tegan's A-level studies this year (A2s? - never get these new-fangled terms), I have to say how impressed I am the extent to which the manner of teaching has changed since I was at school - as far as I can tell (indirectly), there seems to be very little rote learning any more, it's far more about applying knowledge - gone are the days when learning Virgil's Georgics off by heart got you thru Latin, for example

OK

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:30 pm

Depends on the subject Asbo.

I found English, History and Economics all about application to scenarios and not a huge amount of rote learning. Maths probably was aswell but I didn't like Maths.

EDIT: But as I have said before some subjects like German can be completely learnt off. Irish to a lesser extent as well as other subjects like Biology, Business Studies, Geography etc.

Last edited by red_stag on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm

Oh I've just remembered, University Challenge is on tonight. I love University Challenge.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm

Me too Lucky Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:36 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Oh I've just remembered, University Challenge is on tonight. I love University Challenge.

-1!!

Very Happy

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:36 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:University Challenge

University Challenge ? University Challenge ? Where's the phooking challenge, everyone gets in now Whistle
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

laughing Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

roddersm wrote:Maybe it's just me but paying 9k a year in fees for 3/4 years with the prospect of paying it back + inflationary interest when earning a paltry 17k a year doesn't seem like a great investment to me.

Going to be £21K now it's been tripled.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:42 pm

PenfroPete wrote:
luckless_pedestrian wrote:University Challenge

University Challenge ? University Challenge ? Where's the phooking challenge, everyone gets in now Whistle

Probably doing media or water sports science.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:47 pm

Penfro,

Man that's was classic, mind you you've far to much time on your hands to chime up with it all but loved it all the same
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:49 pm

I wonder what your input was into it Hughie? My guess goes something along the lines of-

"Jagerbombs!!!"

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:50 pm

hughie1986 wrote:Penfro,

Man that's was classic, mind you you've far to much time on your hands to chime up with it all but loved it all the same

Sure Huggy, 'cut n paste' is a wonderful thing, (along with 'find and replace') thumbsup
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:53 pm

Ah youve just shattered my illusion of you being comic genius
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

Brilliant Pete!!
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:56 pm

Jesus just watched the last half hour of Donegal v Kildare, what a game what a finish!!!

superb entertainment
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:57 pm

You still need to 'see' the idea Huggy.
Just think of it as the pub's 'cover' version Very Happy
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:57 pm

Hughie,watch the first 70 minutes,it was worse than watching paint dry.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:03 pm

Thomond wrote:Hughie,watch the first 70 minutes,it was worse than watching paint dry.

Ill swerve that so, ah would you look at that Mayo v Cork as just started, might each that again:laugh:
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:04 pm

PenfroPete wrote:PROP – but;s because you’re a forward, the make allowances for that don’t they ? Whistle
EXAMS – seriously, lessons in school are like Driving Lessons. Driving lessons teach you how to pass the test NOT how todrive. I 'learnt' more in Primary School, where my teachers encourage my inquisitiveness and the 'brush' was a lot broader
UNIVERSITY = load of bollix saying 50% of people should be going. We’re still going to need carpenters, plumbers, mechanics, brickies ..etc

Anyway, all this modern education is sh!te.Repeat 1x2 is 2, 2x2 is 4 .....
Mick (TEFC): Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Penfro: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier, eh Rava?

Rava: You're right there Penfro.

Gibbo: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier?

Mick (TEFC): Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

Penfro: A cup o' COLD tea.

Gibbo: Without milk or sugar.

Rava: OR tea!

Mick (TEFC): In a cracked cup, and all.

Gibbo: We never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

Penfro: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

Rava: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

Mick (TEFC): Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

Gibbo: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

Penfro: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing and we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

Rava: You were lucky to have a ROOM! We used to have to live in a corridor!

Mick (TEFC): Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

Gibbo: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpolin, it was a house to US.

Penfro: We were evicted from our hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

Rava: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in a shoebox in the middle of the road.

Mick (TEFC): Cardboard box?

Rava: Aye.

Mick (TEFC): You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down the mill for fourteen hours a day week in week out, for sixpence a week. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

Penfro: Luxury! We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, work twenty hour a day at the mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

Rava: Well of course, we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

Gibbo: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our Mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

Mick (TEFC): And you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't blydi believe ya'.

All: They won't..

laughing laughing laughing
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:06 pm

If you want to see a great display of tactics and management then you should. Mayo were superb and Cork's ineptitude under the stewardship of Counihan will continue. This team has the potential to win numerous All-Irelands but as long as he is there,they won't. Let's axe Canty while we're at it.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:07 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
roddersm wrote:Maybe it's just me but paying 9k a year in fees for 3/4 years with the prospect of paying it back + inflationary interest when earning a paltry 17k a year doesn't seem like a great investment to me.

What subjects are you taking Munsty? I hope to Flip it isn't Maths.

"9k a year tripled is NOT 21k"
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:10 pm

Rava wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:

What subjects are you taking Munsty? I hope to Flip it isn't Maths.

"9k a year tripled is NOT 21k"

No, now that the maximum amount of fees Universities can charge has been tripled, the amount of money you have to be earning before you start paying it back has increased to 21k.

The two have no direct mathematical correlation.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:11 pm

I think 21k is the minimum threshold for repayment with the increased tuition fees, ie graduates won't have to repay their student loan until they are making £21,000 a year.

nvm, Notch beat me to it!

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:11 pm

Rava wrote: What subjects are you taking Munsty? I hope to Flip it isn't Maths.

Perhaps he's doing Real Maths or Modern Maths Rolling Eyes
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:12 pm

Your 3 way convo there penfro was very python-esque.....meant to be doing work but thinking about planning the Sarries social events!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

Flip off Notch & Robbo Wink The voices of reason!
Don't spoil my post with accuracies Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

I don't know what you're all talking about. 9 x 3 = 93.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

prop_lyd wrote:Your 3 way convo there penfro was very python-esque.....!
Was it Prop I had no idea Wink
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:14 pm

This is the internet,you can't post facts on the internet. Stop messing up the system Notch!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:33 pm

Oh this Flip bank holiday. I forgot about it as I'm working. Means that my bus from Shannon won't leave until 6 o clock. It'll be 7pm at least before I'm home mad
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:43 pm

England bowlers ripping through the Indian top order Yahoo
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:46 pm

That's rubbish, Stag. Just as well you found that euro!

Sam Warburton will captain Wales on the weekend, Matthew Rees isn't going to play much at all this summer:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/08/01/sam-warburton-to-captain-wales-against-england-91466-29157385/

I know you might think I'm nitpicking, but this is bad English:

'Blues flanker Warburton will be handed the captain's armband for the second consecutive match against England after leading the Welsh side against the Barbarians in June.'

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:48 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:I know you might think I'm nitpicking, but this is bad English:

'Blues flanker Warburton will be handed the captain's armband for the second consecutive match against England after leading the Welsh side against the Barbarians in June.'

Yep - it's the Western Fail Rolling Eyes
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:48 pm

Guessing i'm not the only one concentrating on the cricket more than I am on work!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:49 pm

Its poor English yes but I've seen worse. A few commas missing and some dodgey word structure can put new meaning on a sentence.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:52 pm

I'm surprised it's not Andy Howell's handiwork, Penfro!

I've seen worse too, Stag, but surely someone should be checking the journalist's work before it goes 'live' or whatever they call it?

I'd do it for them if they wanted.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:53 pm

prop_lyd wrote:Guessing i'm not the only one concentrating on the cricket more than I am on work!!

Yep! Very Happy Forgot to bring my didgi radio in so i'm relying on the bbcsport website..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:54 pm

Oh meant to say my little brother's got that position as a rugby writer. Sept-May, he has to write 10 articles a week. I really should get him on 606V2.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:58 pm

red_stag wrote:Oh meant to say my little brother's got that position as a rugby writer. Sept-May, he has to write 10 articles a week. I really should get him on 606V2.

I don't think the server could handle you and jnr stag on here! Yikes Wink
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:58 pm

red_stag wrote:Oh meant to say my little brother's got that position as a rugby writer. Sept-May, he has to write 10 articles a week. I really should get him on 606V2.

Best of luck to your little bro Stag thumbsup
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

Good news, Stag! What's your brother's name, Blue Stag?

Tumbleweed

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

He'd be quite different to me in his views. An angry 21 year old prop who would pride himself on his ability to handle his booze and cover both sides of the scrum Smile

Edit - also although he's 1 year younger than me he's bigger than me. Maybe not so little brother.

Last edited by red_stag on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

Congrats to your little bro Stag, that's great news Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:02 pm

Breadvan wrote:
prop_lyd wrote:Guessing i'm not the only one concentrating on the cricket more than I am on work!!

Yep! Very Happy Forgot to bring my didgi radio in so i'm relying on the bbcsport website..

Doing exactly the same!! Stag: sounds like me and your bro would get on pretty well with our main views being playing on both sides and handling drink cider
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:04 pm

Your actually not unlike him Prop from the brief time we met in Cardiff.

My company today sent me an e-mail saying if I know anyone who wants a job to tell them. A LOT of people have handed in their notice.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:04 pm

Bubbly for Red_Bambi
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next