The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+28
The_Hound_of_Harrow
WillyGilly
Mickado
littleswannygirl
KiaRose
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Mick(TEFC)
Ozzy3213
Glas a du
Adam D
Cari
Gibson
Breadvan
Suspicious lurker
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Standulstermen
Mrs Penfro
rodders
Notch
PenfroPete
Rava
Thomond
robbo277
prop_lyd
red_stag
MBTGOG
nottins
Luckless Pedestrian
32 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Guest Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:58 am

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the Tommy Bowe photo on the bar. That's a banning offence

So pull up a chair....what'll it be?

Ale

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:18 pm

Anyone think we could do with merging an article or two about the Wales v England game
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by PenfroPete Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:27 pm

PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:35 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:I don't know how it can be improved but somehow the education system needs to be not completely centred on performance in exams.

I think something is being done to try and make certain subjects less exam focused and have more to do with coursework modules spread throughout the whole year that count for more than exams, but I'm not sure that's the answer either. It certainly isn't working very well at the moment though and needs some sort of change to occur.

Its one of the reasons we came here. My kids went through the Baclaureate system. Gives a more rounded education. Language-based and your perfomance, application and attitude, during the whole year - is counted highly in the exam marks. I really liked that. It also leans heavily at encouraging kids to mix cross-culturally and breaks down barriers. It has worked a treat for my lads. They can fit in anywhere in the World and both speak 3 languages fluently. And converse in others.

They learned History through French and Geography through Dutch. Used the Scottish Maths system, which is superb. They took the best bits from a lot of countries in fact. Gives them better perspective and a more rounded outlook. Irish History and I imagine British History lessons - at school level, are heavily-biased and skewed. I could see it on 606 and on V2 sometimes. Maybe Im wrong, but so glad I went the European route with them anyway. Its a matter of personal choice.

Sun is splitting the scones here at long last. Phew! It seemed like it rained for weeks non-stop. The farmers will be happy.

Hope ye are all well regs. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:35 pm

red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:35 pm

62-6. Love it when you return to the webpage and see the red boxes for wickets! Very Happy
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:37 pm

Gibboo hows it going. All good I hope
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:38 pm

Further to the Bresnan/Tremlett debate, Bresnan's taken 4 and bowling really well. Good problem to have, but who would be a selector?!

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:43 pm

Do we reckon India will hold out all day then? Or at least till 5ish so I can get home and see the end?!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:49 pm

I reckon they'll last the night with Sachin still in but only for an hour tomorrow...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:50 pm

Still got a hangover here and it's blinking humid. Also Orange still haven't given me access to my email, it's a week now. Bar stewards.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:52 pm

Gibson wrote:ts one of the reasons we came here. My kids went through the Baclaureate system. Gives a more rounded education. Language-based and your perfomance, application and attitude, during the whole year - is counted highly in the exam marks. I really liked that. It also leans heavily at encouraging kids to mix cross-culturally and breaks down barriers. It has worked a treat for my lads. They can fit in anywhere in the World and both speak 3 languages fluently. And converse in others.

They learned History through French and Geography through Dutch. Used the Scottish Maths system, which is superb. They took the best bits from a lot of countries in fact. Gives them better perspective and a more rounded outlook. Irish History and I imagine British History lessons - at school level, are heavily-biased and skewed. I could see it on 606 and on V2 sometimes. Maybe Im wrong, but so glad I went the European route with them anyway. Its a matter of personal choice.

Used to be that NO Irish History at all was taught in Grammar schools in Northern Ireland. Nothing about the Protestant Ascendancy, United Irishmen, origins of the Orange Order, Home Rule movement, Parnell, O'Connell 'the Liberator', Easter Rising, War of Independence, partition of Ireland, Civil Rights movement in the North- nothing, zero. All of our history lessons were concerned with mainland Britain and England particularly. The other side is equally skewed in the other direction.

I never, ever learned about any of those things in Northern Ireland- I learned about them by myself, on my own initiative, when I moved to Scotland. Where there is a lot more about Irish history on the curriculum than there was in NI.

Maybe it's changing now, I don't know. I hope so. We are a nation that doesn't understand our present situation because we don't understand our past. We are nation divided because we have only each been taught one half of the story.

Education is important, yo. OK
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:55 pm

Notch wrote:
nottins wrote:
luckless_pedestrian wrote:Nottins, it was shortsightedness on the part of New Labour in 1997 to declare that they aimed for 50% of school leavers to go to university without trying to make sure there was a corresponding increase in the number of graduate jobs.

I much prefer stupidy over shortsightedness Wink

Ridiculous. And ridiculous that we encourage everybody to go to University aged 18. I think the best thing to do is to go out and get a job after school save some money, and go back to University in your early twenties. Honestly think, nine times out of ten, that's the best age to start Uni. You need a job first to teach you about work ethic and personal responsibility otherwise you won't have the self-discipline and drive to actually get the best out of a University education.

So, so many people are nowhere near mature enough to make the best out of a University education immediately after they they leave school.

That is so spot on. My youngest son got his Bac, worked for 4 years, then really knew what he wanted to do and applied himself like mad for it. Had he gone to Uni directly after he left school, the results would have been vastly different and he may have gone down the wrong path - by default and wasted 4/5 years of his Life. I know him. While he worked, he bought himself an apt at 21 and now lets it out. Lets someone else pay his mortgage. Typical Clog. Money smart. Unlike his Da. TF.

He is coming back from Norway for his Masters ceremony in a few weeks. His older brother did not go to Uni - not an Academic. But used his languages and communication skills to get management jobs in Hotels, Restaurants etc... He is flying. Ma & Da are so proud of them both. Job done. zen guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:56 pm

Gibson wrote: and I imagine British History lessons - at school level, are heavily-biased and skewed.
GIBBO - kiss wasn't on line much over the last few days, but read back and been waiting for you to pop in. Here's a Hug and a guinness mo chara. Glad things seem to be working out for her OK

You are right about the history teaching. The victor writes history. Only after leaving school and starting to research/invesigate did I start to get an appreciation of my own country's history, but not only that but our culture, music ...etc. This then led me onto reading about the history of other countries

Things are slowly changing, even the WJEC are now offering a BACC - http://www.wjec.co.uk/?level=112
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:58 pm

Penfro - what have you learnt about Monaco, Liechtenstein and the other principalities?

Run
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:00 pm

They started offering a BACC the year after I finished secondary school, I was gutted. I'd have loved to have done that instead.

And I know it differs from school to school, but our head of History was adamant that we should learn about as much Welsh history as possible, so we learnt all about the Merthyr Rising, Rebecca Riots etc. Whilst that was good in learning a lot of history about my own country, it was also a bit inward looking, I wouldn't have minded learning a lot more about other parts of the world too. (we did a bit of other history obviously, but it was very Welsh focused).

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:02 pm

red_stag wrote:Penfro - what have you learnt about Monaco, Liechtenstein and the other principalities? Run

You, young lad, have been hanging around that Nottins too much boxing

Last edited by PenfroPete on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:03 pm

PenfroPete wrote:
red_stag wrote:Penfro - what have you learnt about Monaco, Liechtenstein and the other principalities? Run

You, young lad, have been hanging that Nottins too much boxing

he he he censored

I'll be good I've had my fun.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

red_stag wrote:Penfro - what have you learnt about Monaco, Liechtenstein and the other principalities?

Run

Allow me Penfro!

Smartoirse Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

red_stag wrote:Gibboo hows it going. All good I hope

Lot better Staggy. Spent a lot of time with Dympy (our Cork friend who had cancer) at the weekend. She is on the mend slowly. It will take a while. We will take over next weekend, when her hubby goes back to work. That's what friends are for.

How's you bud? I see you are planning to Storm Belfast for a game and a Meet? Great stuff.

Notts. Great to hear about your Dad. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:05 pm

I see this Balloteli is making friends in Manchester. Says he's not happy playing for man city, "i love the club but not the city" perfect way to win the fans over!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

Belfast? No Gibbo we're meeting the Nordies in Dublin.

Can't say how chuffed I am your pal beat the cancer

boxing Cancer 0 - 1 Dympy

Smile
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:07 pm

Harbhajan is looking to bat properly, but he's been carrying a back strain through this game. Kumar, Sreesanth and Sharma shouldn't put up too much of a fight. 50/50 whether this will go to a 5th day, the sting seems to have gone out the game a little. However, if someone gets Tendulkar I can see a flurry of wickets coming very quickly.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

red_stag wrote:Belfast? No Gibbo we're meeting the Nordies in Dublin.

boxing Cancer 0 - 1 Dympy

Smile

Ah, but you should try and get up to Belfast in September as well thumbsup

Pub before the France match?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:11 pm

Oh we'll definitely meet up at the French game. I'd hope to make that Belfast trip but it will have to depend on numbers.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

Yeah. I suppose we'll have to wait and see!

When are you and Munsty coming up- on the day?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:14 pm

Yea Munsty is gonna take my girlfriends ticket and he said he'll drive up on the day. We'll all meet up and have real pre match banter. I'm tied to his schedule after the game. Not sure what the plan is really.

I'm looking forward to it. Never seen France play live before.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:15 pm

I've only seen them against Scotland. Very excited.

Myself and the auld fella are going to Leinster vs Melbourne Rebels in Donnybrook the night before, possibly gonna meet up with Mickado at that.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

When is Connacht v Ireland?
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:33 pm

I believe it's the 19th August.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:34 pm

What are Leinster playing on this weekend for. Ireland are playing France AND Connacht (Ireland A I suppose).

They'll have hardly any players.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:35 pm

red_stag wrote:What are Leinster playing on this weekend for.

Money? Are they at home?

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

They are at home. Yea probably cash.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:38 pm

red_stag wrote:Belfast? No Gibbo we're meeting the Nordies in Dublin.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 496889 Cancer 0 - 1 Dympy

Smile

Cheers man. Ah a meet in Dublin? Id have loved that. But dont know whats coming up next, so have to be free. I also heard talk of a meet in Belfast?

Penfro a chara. back at ya bud. The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 769663

Yes, its all out there, if one bothers to check it out. History is written by victors. And you need to get beyond that, immerse yourself in the others sides POV. Then make your interim judgements and learn more on the back of it. I love learning about other cultures' history. Fave subject in school, limited as it was, but like you, I have read and investigated so much more World History since then. Open to it all. And if you are - people will tell you their side of it too. Believe nothing - at 1st pass. Question everything....

I love talking to people who have lived through Wars here and been through conflicts around the World. And in France, Germany, Britain, Asia, Africa etc...People who have 1st-hand knowledge.Paint your own picture when you have all the colours. Not just Black & White. Don't let someone else paint it for you. Its lazy, limiting and most of all - dangerous. Check Middle-USA - scarey amount of ignorance there. Anyway, I reckon that's the way to go.

Kia will have something to say on this. Her knowledge of History and her deep background info on it - is frightening. Don't start a convo with that gal, unless you know what you are talking about. De Chef and I know that only too well...
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:40 pm

Tendulkar gone

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:41 pm

Gibbo - there is a proposed pub meet in Belfast on the weekend that Ireland play Australia. Stand runs a rugby bar there he's invited us there. And Ulster are playing Cardiff Blues in the Pro12 that weekend too so its a double whammy.

I'm game if others are.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Tendulkar gone

And Harbhajan Singh

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Tendulkar gone

Yeh scratch my earlier prediction of a finish tomorrow. Rolling Eyes I'd give it about half an hour.....
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:56 pm

So ye goys are like going to the France game? Jealous.Com.

Yeah Notch, Leinster will have their Academy out for that one. They will get slaughtered. Its all about de muny.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 5:01 pm

red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 01 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

Oh go on, Staggy, get your excuses in early!! Run

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 5:12 pm

Excuses?

Pah!! As if. If we lose Ferris, O'Driscoll, O'Gara, Kearney and Darcy we'll just slot in O'Brien, Earls, Sexton, Jones and McFadden

thumbsup
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 5:17 pm

red_stag wrote:What are Leinster playing on this weekend for. Ireland are playing France AND Connacht (Ireland A I suppose).

They'll have hardly any players.

Money? I'm going on the off chance of seeing Cipriani, Mortlock etc. I went to see Queensland Rebels versus Ulster when they toured in summer 2008 and enjoyed that a lot. The likes of Digby Ioane, Will Genia, Rod Davies and Scott Higginbotham played in that match. We won 24-0, but they've come on a bit since then Wink

Ulster would normally have a pre-season game that weekend but we aren't playing one. We are playing games on the 11th and 26th of August.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 01 Aug 2011, 5:18 pm

Munster have la Rochelle, London Irish and London Wasps for our tours.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 5:22 pm

Ulster are going on a five day training camp to France and playing Bayonne away at the end of it, then a few weeks later we welcome Quins to Ravenhill. Should be two good tests for us.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 01 Aug 2011, 5:25 pm

England win by 319 runs

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 01 Aug 2011, 6:02 pm

PenfroPete wrote:PROP – but;s because you’re a forward, the make allowances for that don’t they ? The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 590675
EXAMS – seriously, lessons in school are like Driving Lessons. Driving lessons teach you how to pass the test NOT how todrive. I 'learnt' more in Primary School, where my teachers encourage my inquisitiveness and the 'brush' was a lot broader
UNIVERSITY = load of bollix saying 50% of people should be going. We’re still going to need carpenters, plumbers, mechanics, brickies ..etc

Anyway, all this modern education is sh!te.Repeat 1x2 is 2, 2x2 is 4 .....
Mick (TEFC): Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Penfro: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier, eh Rava?

Rava: You're right there Penfro.

Gibbo: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier?

Mick (TEFC): Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

Penfro: A cup o' COLD tea.

Gibbo: Without milk or sugar.

Rava: OR tea!

Mick (TEFC): In a cracked cup, and all.

Gibbo: We never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

Penfro: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

Rava: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

Mick (TEFC): Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

Gibbo: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

Penfro: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing and we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

Rava: You were lucky to have a ROOM! We used to have to live in a corridor!

Mick (TEFC): Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

Gibbo: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpolin, it was a house to US.

Penfro: We were evicted from our hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

Rava: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in a shoebox in the middle of the road.

Mick (TEFC): Cardboard box?

Rava: Aye.

Mick (TEFC): You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down the mill for fourteen hours a day week in week out, for sixpence a week. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

Penfro: Luxury! We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, work twenty hour a day at the mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

Rava: Well of course, we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

Gibbo: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our Mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

Mick (TEFC): And you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't blydi believe ya'.

All: They won't..

Just read this now. The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 3497602689 The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 3497602689 The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 3497602689

Penfron. OK Ale

I actually remember that been shown live(way ahead of its alternative time) and my Dad said: "What is all this BBC bollox? They'd laugh at anything over there. What are they on about? Turn on RTE there son." I had to leave the room I was laughing so hard. He wasn't impressed.

Used love watching Dave Allen take de pish out if the Church. It was also radical at the time. Old man - same deal: "I used like that fella, very funny, but there's no need for that kind thing. Its disrespectful". Left the room again - pishing myself laughing. I went through the exact same experience and could really relate to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgbkdrOl3sw
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 01 Aug 2011, 6:09 pm

Wow,this place is dead. Tumbleweed

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 01 Aug 2011, 7:39 pm

Evenin' All Smile

Back after my trip to Dubsville. Hope everyone's well. I haven't had the chance to read back yet. Am knackered and need a shower. Back in work tomorrow booooooooooooooo!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 01 Aug 2011, 7:51 pm

Welcome back Miss Cari. Great to hear you had a good trip to Dublin. I am assuming here are no tales of aircraft problems or unattached Rugby players this time Wink

Spot (the dog) and I are just back from a little walk after tea. One of the usual routes, about 2 miles. I actually jogged about 3/4 of a mile in the middle. Got a buzz from that. It must be 20 years since I did any jogging. I might just try it regularly.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 01 Aug 2011, 8:21 pm

Tumbleweed
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next