The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Win 1 of the next 2 games and go #1

+2
longhopmerchant
GSC
6 posters

Go down

Win 1 of the next 2 games and go #1 Empty Win 1 of the next 2 games and go #1

Post by GSC Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Alternatively don't lose.

This team looks scarily good right now.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Win 1 of the next 2 games and go #1 Empty Re: Win 1 of the next 2 games and go #1

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:37 pm

havent gotta, if we draw final 2 games we go number 1 anyway, only had to win by 2 clear tests

Back to top Go down

Win 1 of the next 2 games and go #1 Empty Re: Win 1 of the next 2 games and go #1

Post by longhopmerchant Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:56 pm

I'm not being sore grapes but the number ranking isn't as important as when we (Australia) had it.

We had won everywhere numerous times and then completed the cabinet by winning in India in 2004.

Unless you win everywhere, the ranking isn't important.

longhopmerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:59 pm

longhopmerchant wrote:I'm not being sore grapes but the number ranking isn't as important as when we (Australia) had it.

We had won everywhere numerous times and then completed the cabinet by winning in India in 2004.

Yehhhhhhhhh, no sour grapes at all............WE ARE #1 say WE ARE #1!!!!!!!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:23 pm

longhopmerchant wrote:I'm not being sore grapes but the number ranking isn't as important as when we (Australia) had it.

There's a difference between being number 1 and being dominant for an era (as Australia were at that time). Number 1 is a good marker of how far we've come.

We haven't lost a series since Spring 2009 (away in the West Indies).
Summer 2009 Won Vs West Indies (H), Won Vs Australia (H)
Winter 2009/10 Draw Vs South Africa (A), Won Vs Bangladesh (H)
Summer 2010 Won Vs Bangladesh (H), Won Vs Pakistan (H)
Winter 2010/11 Won Vs Australia (A)
Summer 2011 Won Vs Sri Lanka (H), 2-0 up Vs India (H)

In that time we've lost 3 tests, 1 to South Africa (away), Pakistan (at home) and Australia (away).

We could look back as the Flower/Strauss era as the start of a period of domination. We haven't won enough series to get their yet, but we haven't lost one in over 2 years and we'll be keen to keep this run going.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by longhopmerchant Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:12 pm

robbo277 wrote:

There's a difference between being number 1 and being dominant for an era (as Australia were at that time). Number 1 is a good marker of how far we've come.

We haven't lost a series since Spring 2009 (away in the West Indies).
Summer 2009 Won Vs West Indies (H), Won Vs Australia (H)
Winter 2009/10 Draw Vs South Africa (A), Won Vs Bangladesh (H)
Summer 2010 Won Vs Bangladesh (H), Won Vs Pakistan (H)
Winter 2010/11 Won Vs Australia (A)
Summer 2011 Won Vs Sri Lanka (H), 2-0 up Vs India (H)

In that time we've lost 3 tests, 1 to South Africa (away), Pakistan (at home) and Australia (away).

We could look back as the Flower/Strauss era as the start of a period of domination. We haven't won enough series to get their yet, but we haven't lost one in over 2 years and we'll be keen to keep this run going.
So basically England have won 2 away series in the last 2/3 years? Australia and Bangladesh. Hardly Earth shattering, Australia are rebuilding and Bangladesh aren't Test standard. The series in SA was a lucky draw for England. 3 of the Tests SA dominated and England somehow survived 9 down twice.

For me SA are the best. They've won everywhere bar India, where they have drawn their last 2 series.

longhopmerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:59 pm

[/quote]
So basically England have won 2 away series in the last 2/3 years? Australia and Bangladesh. Hardly Earth shattering, Australia are rebuilding and Bangladesh aren't Test standard. The series in SA was a lucky draw for England. 3 of the Tests SA dominated and England somehow survived 9 down twice.

For me SA are the best. They've won everywhere bar India, where they have drawn their last 2 series.[/quote]

While you are throwing about random facts to try and question Englands right to claim to be number one. South Africa have only won 43% of their Test matches played over the past three years (England 51%) and have only won three of their last eight series played in that period. England have won seven of their last eight series played.

In the end the team who is top of the ICC Rankings is the best team in the World, that is the whole point of the rankings. Yes, no current team at the moment is as good as the Aussie team of the Late 90s and 2000s, but that does not mean that the top ranking is not that important. If that was the case then in 20 years time then if the 100m final at the Olympics lines up with someone not as dominant as Bolt, would not be important!

IF England make it to number one it will be a great achievement, especially for us guys who remember when they were the bottom ranked team, not that long ago.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:02 pm

South Africa have not played nearly enough cricket to be No.1, England have and our rightful No.1s with their record (if we get there).

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down