The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lessons

+2
oldparwin
Nay
6 posters

Go down

Lessons Empty Lessons

Post by Nay Tue 02 Aug 2011, 6:18 pm

Well I have finally decided that the only way i am going to improve is to get some lessons and so have booked my first lesson for tomorrow night. (with a further 3 to follow if it goes ok)

I know what i need to work on and was wondering if there are any recommendations as to how I should approach the lesson. What i should expect

Nay

Back to top Go down

Lessons Empty Re: Lessons

Post by oldparwin Tue 02 Aug 2011, 7:19 pm

The only problem with lessons, is the Pro going to help you improve your golf swing and reduce your handicap or does he see you as a cash point for him to take money from each week, only you can decide that, so set him some goals, and see if he is acheiving them with you, one the goals you should set, is if you have booked a 30min or 60 min session with him, then how much of that time has he actual spent with you.

Best of luck but remember just because he is a Pro does not make him a good teacher, and when you want to improve, you need someone who is a good teacher

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 7:26 pm

Just book one lesson. Explain your LONG TERM GOAL to the pro. Explain that you realise that it will take some time to achieve your goal, and that future lessons are contingent upon the pro giving you some drills to work on. It should reassure the pro that you don't expect to become a scratch player on the strength of one lesson, and it should help him to prioritise what needs to be changed to move your game forward.

Don't look for short term fixes or compromises - you should approach it on the basis that you are prepared to change anything and everything required to make you a better player.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Tue 02 Aug 2011, 7:36 pm

Whenever I've had lessons, I have gone away for a while to groove what I have been taught. IMHO there is no point having a lesson a week if all the pro does is tell you what he told at the last lesson. So maybe a lesson every month with range sessions weekly in between. Obviously if you can get to the range more frequently this can be accelerated.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:08 pm

You have two options when it comes to lessons, either a quick fix or a swing rebuild. In March last year I went down the rebuild route as I had too many flaws in my swing to get to where I want to be. If you have decided on this option, it is imperative that you realise it is a long and painful process. It took me 12-15 months to feel comfortable with the changes I had to make but now I don't have to think about what I'm doing, it happens naturally.
As said above, you have to find someone you feel comfortable with and you can trust

Now, here is the REALLY important bit! You have to keep working on what he is teaching you. You will go backwards before you improve. What you must do though is keep working on the drills he gives you. If you think 'Sod this' and go back to your old habits, you are just wasting your money.
Long term, you will improve if you keep at it. It's hard work but give it 12 months to groove in the changes. I was on the verge of giving up the game but now I'm hitting it the best I ever have Smile

Good luck and keep the faith!

thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:38 pm

Thanks everyone

I have only booked one lesson for just now to see how i get on,

I will be going for a full makeover starting with set up and basic swing movements i think, my swing is basically just the swing i had when i first picked up a club including a funny little roundhouse kick i have developed with my left leg while hopping on my right foot to keep to keep balance and the end.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:03 pm

Do your research on the pro. Why have you chosen him? Because he's your club pro? Because he's the cheapest or dearest? Or nearest?

If you can get some recommendations from mates, fellow members etc... that thats great... but you'll know after 1 lesson whether he's for you anyway... if after 1 lesson you decide its the way forward... you must trust him and practice what he teaches, any skeptisism of his techniques will lead to half heartedness and you won't get the results you crave...this is easier said then done...

If having a course of lesson just on the swing i'd have 1 a month, if you play once a week on the course, that should give you 3-4 rounds to see and improvement, with lots of practice in between. Then move on the the next thing.... you could have lessons with greater regularity, but i'd have a putting lesson of a bunker lesson in between, which brings me onto my final point... don't neglect the other aspects of your game. A swing rebuild may help you hit more fairways and greens but if your chipping and putting has gone to rat Poopie in the meantime you're scores won't improve much if at all...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Wed 03 Aug 2011, 8:11 pm

You will be pleased to hear Rossa I went along early to practise my putting for 30 mins.

Lesson complete, and have my homework.

I have to work on keeping my base a lot stonger as currently by the time I have i have reached top of backswing I moved about 2 feet away from the ball by leaning so far back with massive leg movement This has been meaning I am coming across the ball whole scooping.

So have been given a drill of practising the swing to make sure left knee stays a lot stiller meaning body stays in position. On the downswing I have to work on pushing forward towards the ball hitting the ground after the ball and much closer to front foot.

I found it quite frustrating, not because of anything pro was doing but because I found it so hard, basically having to train my body to move in completely other direction.

I stayed behind with another 50 balls practicing and will now need to hit the back of the house practicing the motions without a ball.

The thing i find interesting is knew I was leaning back, but it was for none of the reasons I thought ha ha,

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down