The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cobra vs The Celtic Warrior

+13
Herman Frotchlinger
Imperial Ghosty
Super D Boon
Michaels, Sean
milkyboy
BALTIMORA
whotobeA
TopHat24/7
coxy0001
Rowley
Fists of Fury
Jimmythebullet
Colonial Lion
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Cobra vs The Celtic Warrior

The Cobra vs The Celtic Warrior - Page 2 Vote_lcap66%The Cobra vs The Celtic Warrior - Page 2 Vote_rcap 66% 
[ 21 ]
The Cobra vs The Celtic Warrior - Page 2 Vote_lcap34%The Cobra vs The Celtic Warrior - Page 2 Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 32

The Cobra vs The Celtic Warrior - Page 2 Empty The Cobra vs The Celtic Warrior

Post by Colonial Lion Thu 04 Aug 2011, 7:27 am

First topic message reminder :

It was simply from reading a previous thread about Super Middleweight title holders that led me to think abou this potential fantasy match up. Intriguing in many ways as neither fighter is considered textbook brilliant but both are considered made from the stern stuff. Who wins this Super Middleweight battle?

I think its too close to call. It would be hard not to see this going this distance. Both men live to anyones standard of teak tough and being able to brawl. Collins was a limited fighter blessed with an unbelievable chin, fearless mentality and workrate matched by only the busiest fighters. Froch is equally tough and I would suspect more powerful than Collins, but would struggle to match the Irishmans workrate.

On paper their records are not a million miles apart. Collins was matched early with the likes of Mike McCallum where he gave the Body Snatcher all he could handle down the stretch. Robbed against Reggie Johnson, he then went to the wire with the very underated Sumbu Kalambay. His big wins came later in his career against (albeit faded) rivals Benn and Eubank. Often criticised for not facing Calzaghe - which at the time was perfectly reasonable in my view, I still maintain to this day that Jones Jr was more than happy to let the fight slide as he often did when faced with a hungry rival. I think Collins said it best of all when he said " I was no great boxer, but I made the most of what I had and I would fight anyone that was willing".

Froch is still going and has been matching himself against the best the division has to offer for years now. Outside his toughness he has no real outstanding attribute which I think likens him to Collins. Already an impressive resume at the weight and on the verge now of pound for pound material I think he would start as the bookies favourite against Collins.

However I find this a coin flip fight largely due to Collins stamina and workrate and ability to disrupt Froch from his game plan. The two are so evenly matched for a brawl it seems like a great fight on paper and I cant see either man taking a backward step.

My instict would be a desperately close UD/SD to Collins 114-113 by virtue of outworking Froch and nicking the close rounds.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

The Cobra vs The Celtic Warrior - Page 2 Empty Re: The Cobra vs The Celtic Warrior

Post by Herman Frotchlinger Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

Pick me up on the points you disagree with coxy, i like milfs not grannys though thanks.

Herman Frotchlinger

Back to top Go down

The Cobra vs The Celtic Warrior - Page 2 Empty Re: The Cobra vs The Celtic Warrior

Post by coxy0001 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

Herman Frotchlinger wrote:Pick me up on the points you disagree with coxy, i like milfs not grannys though thanks.

"You see we disagree, Froch has a far better jab than Kessler and is a
far superior fighter, Kessler's out of the super six, he withdrew
remember. And Froch is in the final. A superior fighter."

Froch lost to Kessler.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Frotchlinger Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

I really do want to be doing this, as actually I could yet become a fan of JC if he came back to take the winner of the super six win or lose.

Kessler isn't in the final of the super six. Froch is. Kessler didn't have the durability.

The decision in Kessler's favour was contentious. Press Row amongst others awarded it to Froch. Kessler wouldn't beat Froch in Nottingham in a million years.

Even Calzaghe fans admitted JC wouldn't have got a result in Denmark.

Kessler ducked Bute.

Herman Frotchlinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:16 pm

Kessler beat Froch which is ultimately all that really matters and the decision was contentious in the mind of Froch himself but very few others, he lost fair and square.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

Herman Frotchlinger wrote:I really do want to be doing this, as actually I could yet become a fan of JC if he came back to take the winner of the super six win or lose.

Kessler isn't in the final of the super six. Froch is. Kessler didn't have the durability.

The decision in Kessler's favour was contentious. Press Row amongst others awarded it to Froch. Kessler wouldn't beat Froch in Nottingham in a million years.

Kessler ducked Bute.

All thats left for you to do is add the word "Fact" after every wild claim to make yourself the number one fanboy, come on you can do it.

🤦

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:20 pm

Herman Frotchlinger wrote:I really do want to be doing this, as actually I could yet become a fan of JC if he came back to take the winner of the super six win or lose.

Kessler ducked Bute.

Laugh Hope you're back next week!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Frotchlinger Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:33 pm

Enjoy your input too Boon.

Of course The Kessler ducked Bute was a ridiculous thing to say, and if Kessler sees that, heartfelt apologies.

But Froch is in the final of the super six, and Kessler pulled out. This still rankles those who said Kessler would win the tournament.

Herman Frotchlinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:41 pm

Herman Frotchlinger wrote:Enjoy your input too Boon.

Of course The Kessler ducked Bute was a ridiculous thing to say, and if Kessler sees that, heartfelt apologies.

But Froch is in the final of the super six, and Kessler pulled out. This still rankles those who said Kessler would win the tournament.

I tell ya what. If I was offered a fight with a protected champion who gets his dad to ref the fight and his uncles to be the judges I'd be a bit apprehensive too. Want to see Kessler take out the trash in Robert Stieglitz first.

As for Froch being far superior this sounds plain daft considering he lost. 🤦

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:08 pm

Could equally argue that Froch would not have beaten Dirrell in the U.S.

I dont really understand the point that because injury forced Kessler to withdraw that he is less of a fighter. Either he needed to withdraw or the whole tournament would be put on ice waiting for him to recover.

I would suspect a Froch v Kessler rematch could go either way, but I dont think their can be too many complaints over Kessler getting the decision in the first fight. Froch was involved in two close fights with Dirrell and Kessler. One decision went his way, one didnt. Overall I dont think he can have too many complaints. Especially as he was given the luxury of fighting for Kesslers vacated title almost immediately against with another fighter coming off a loss.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Frotchlinger Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:13 pm

Dirrell acted like a punk, no way he beat Froch.

Again if the Bute fight was to be in Canada, then I fully understand Kessler's position.

Herman Frotchlinger

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:15 pm

I withdrew from a girl called Louisa, the next guy didn't and she got pregnant. Doesn't make me any less of a man.

Same with Kessler withdrawing, doesn't suddenly mean Froch is rated above him on that basis.... Although i do have him a place above Kessler due to a more impressive resume @ 168, much like most would've had Ali above Norton after Ali lost their first fight.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:24 pm

Herman Frotchlinger wrote:Dirrell acted like a punk, no way he beat Froch.

Again if the Bute fight was to be in Canada, then I fully understand Kessler's position.

It was a split decision, so obviously there was a feeling that Dirrell had won amongst some. All the more poignant seeing as the fight was in Nottingham. Had the fight been in Dirrells hometown there is every chance it could have gone his way.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

Colonial have you posted your ATG 15 yet?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Frotchlinger Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

You rubbish Froch's win over Abraham albert but you neglect to say that Abraham was on his way to stopping Dirrell, before the playacting.

Herman Frotchlinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:34 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Colonial have you posted your ATG 15 yet?

I will do so now

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2